• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think it depends on how much VR you've played. As someone that played a lot of Elite Dangerous in VR the scale of NMS hasn't really wow'd me. And the graphical quality + awkwardness of movement/view has made it something I'd rather come back to later down the road. I can see it blowing some people's minds though.
I've never played Elite Dangerous VR but the problems with NMS VR on a base PS4 completely neuter any feelings of awe I have. It's a shame because there are some really cool ideas here but yeah I'll prolly wait a little bit longer.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Oh for fucks sake. I keep spawning into planets that have literally no Sodium available. I find one plant with sodium and I can't find the second one until I'm at half health and keep dying

FUUUCK. just as I was about to get into my fucking ship. The game crashes. Fuck tfhis. will try again after a few days.
Instead of looking for Sodium to recharge your Hazard Protection, find a cave

Mine Cobalt from the rocks in there, combine it with Ferrite Dust to create Ion Batteries, each one basically fully recharges your protection and they're super easy to make

Similarly, if you are having trouble finding Oxygen for your life support, you can craft Life Support Gel out Dihydrogen Jelly (made from those blue crystals on all planets) and Carbon as an alternative

If you're just starting out, it's a good idea to take the time to craft a few of each in case of an emergency, ESPECIALLY on Survival Mode

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Not a good first impression on PC. First, my menu cursor is drifting down and to the right constantly. It's not the controller because this is the only game it ever happens in. And then, once I got in the game it was super stuttery and with pop in on EVERYTHING. If I looked at something, turned away, and looked back, everything there loaded in again but about 2 seconds after I turned

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Think so. Like I swear the hazard protection didn't deplete this quickly the last time I played, when the big patch before this one came. I can barely go 400u before the protection falls from 100 to zero and I start to lose health.

It might be the planet you're on or something I'm not sure, because I started a new game to adjust to VR and felt the exact opposite of you. I easily went 900u in the first mission where you're fixing your ship and had plenty of protection to spare when I hit my destination, I don't recall ever been able to do that before without looking for shelter.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good first impression on PC. First, my menu cursor is drifting down and to the right constantly. It's not the controller because this is the only game it ever happens in. And then, once I got in the game it was super stuttery and with pop in on EVERYTHING. If I looked at something, turned away, and looked back, everything there loaded in again but about 2 seconds after I turned
Thank god you mentioned that. I thought my Xbox controller was having issues. Left thumbstick?

Mine Cobalt from the rocks in there, combine it with Ferrite Dust to create Ion Batteries, each one basically fully recharges your protection and they're super easy to make

Similarly, if you are having trouble finding Oxygen for your life support, you can craft Life Support Gel out Dihydrogen Jelly (made from those blue crystals on all planets) and Carbon as an alternative

If you're just starting out, it's a good idea to take the time to craft a few of each in case of an emergency, ESPECIALLY on Survival Mode
Yeah all good tips. NMS is good about having alternative craftables for pretty much everything. Maybe not the best at explaining that's the case though.

Last edited:

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god you mentioned that. I thought my Xbox controller was having issues. Left thumbstick?
Yup. I'm wondering if this is an old problem or something Beyond introduced. I've found posts from over a year ago talking about similar things, but no solutions and nothing recently/in regards to Beyond

Nov 14, 2017
Wow, 1.3k posts in a day. NMS hype!

Sadly, my old save bugs out around the Nexus. I summoned it and had my FPS tank while walking around it. The game then crashed when I flew back out to space. That was on PS4, not around my PC atm to test how my save there is doing.

Is kind of annoying that these big updates have crashes with old saves! I think it's happened with every major update for me. They do always fix it, but I'd rather they waited a while to release. It's not like they are under any time pressure or anything.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Will keep this in mind when I try it out tomorrow, thanks!
It might be the planet you're on or something I'm not sure, because I started a new game to adjust to VR and felt the exact opposite of you. I easily went 900u in the first mission where you're fixing your ship and had plenty of protection to spare when I hit my destination, I don't recall ever been able to do that before without looking for shelter.
Hmm, not sure. The indicator is only showing 1 triangle (3 is the max I think?) so it shouldn't be depleting this fast imo. Shits nuts.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Is the multiplayer supposed to be so buggy still?

I had a multiplayer session with a bunch of friends and I had multiple crashes, framerate drops to 30 to sometimes 16 at times, falling through the level, NPC's walking in spot in to walls and stuck in objects and such.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, 1.3k posts in a day. NMS hype!

Sadly, my old save bugs out around the Nexus. I summoned it and had my FPS tank while walking around it. The game then crashed when I flew back out to space. That was on PS4, not around my PC atm to test how my save there is doing.

Is kind of annoying that these big updates have crashes with old saves! I think it's happened with every major update for me. They do always fix it, but I'd rather they waited a while to release. It's not like they are under any time pressure or anything.

This is not a problem with the save, the Nexus is just borked in multiplayer.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So I just bought this because of this update - but sounding like I should wait until it's a bit more patched up... is that an accurate synopsis?

Nov 14, 2017
This weekend, I will attempt for the 4th time to get into this game...I seem to follow the 'path' but then wonder and then I have no clue what to do..and I seem like I suck at making money / getting ships compared to others...perhaps this will finally be my time...
I managed to make most of my fortune in a previous patch where there were some easy loops to farm/craft trading materials. There are probably still good crafting paths that are relatively easy to get into, but I have no idea what they are anymore. When the dust settles on this patch and they get the stability sorted, I wanna build a new refinery base and see what I can do though!
This is not a problem with the save, the Nexus is just borked in multiplayer.
Ah! That's good to know! I guess I'll just disable MP for a bit while I'm doodling around.

The nice thing about this update is that performance is significantly improved compared to the Next update, at least on base PS4. I guess all the optimisations they've done for VR also pay off in regular versions of the game.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I'm wondering if this is an old problem or something Beyond introduced. I've found posts from over a year ago talking about similar things, but no solutions and nothing recently/in regards to Beyond
I was playing just before Beyond came out and wasn't experiencing that drift in the menu. In seems like any right movement is way more sensitive/easier compared to the left in the menu. Not sure if that's the case within gameplay.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably really, really hard to reconcile with an existing game design. A new VR specific game can design around you being able to move within the room, but if this or Skyrim has you standing near a wall and then you take a step through it, how does that work?

Skyrim does in fact have problems already within its limited space, since you can poke your head through walls and things, but at least your actual position is mostly locked. I didn't check if the same applied here, but since spaces aren't designed in the same way it's not as much of an issue in NMS.

"What happens if you go through geometry" is another problem that basically every VR game has to deal with. It's not specific to roomscale games, and it's not specific to Skyrim or NMS or any traditional game ported to VR. Almost any game where you can move your head will have to deal with it to some degree. There's lots of ways to handle it. The most elegant I've seen is to black out the world when you put your head through something that you shouldn't, and not allow you to interact with stuff that is through walls/doors/etc.

Skyrim just bounces you back a bit if you try to stick your head through a wall:

NMS could very easily do the same.

Fallout 4 did not have similar issues... I can walk around it whenever I want and it does head track (and did when it came out). I mean it was a barebones port (though by no means absolutely barebones, taht would be elite dangerous which could get away with it since you stay in a ship's seat the whole time) but it wasn't that barebones.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was Fallout or Skyrim or both. It was Skryim.

You could walk around, but the actual "location" of your character remained at the center of your play space. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

I think NMS has the same limitation, but instead of letting you wander 5' away from your 'body', it just nags you to recenter.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I managed to make most of my fortune in a previous patch where there were some easy loops to farm/craft trading materials. There are probably still good crafting paths that are relatively easy to get into, but I have no idea what they are anymore. When the dust settles on this patch and they get the stability sorted, I wanna build a new refinery base and see what I can do though!

That would be cool, building a money making operation, and just funding my exploration that way...I guess I'll wait to see what the smart NMS players build / can build, and then jump in. I'll probably do the opening stuff, wonder a bit, and then wait for the new 'get rich quick' schemes.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game on release and enjoyed some exploration then shelved it for a bit.

Just started a new game with OG PS4 PSVR and am blown away. Definitely similar graphically to Skyrim where my brain was able to adjust and provide a wonderful experience. My only issues is a new apartment and setting up play area for proper move tracking!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Newbie question - how early and how much should I be spending with Nanites for module stuff? I'm about 7 hours in, still with the stater multi-tool because the handful I've had the option to purchase have been way out of my league (millions of units), and a couple of exosuit slot upgrades. After getting up to about 1300 nanites I spent a few hundred on a B-Class movement upgrade for my exosuit only to find out after buying it it's only -12% fuel efficiency and +1% initial boos power lol (and I couldn't see these two stats before as far as I could tell?).

As far as I can tell you can't remove modules on at least the multi-tool, but my starter one is full anyway with the boltcaster and advanced mining laser, but I don't have a good feel yet for nanite spending so not sure how hard I should be going in or not at this point?
One thing I recommend as a strategy for earning both units and nanites is putting 3 S-Class scanner module upgrades on your multitool. Incidentally, never install any module below S-Class on anything, it's completely pointless and you'll just be replacing it later. With 3 S-Class scanner upgrades, you'll go from making a couple thousand units per scanned creature to making hundreds of thousands (400,000+ for "rare" creatures). It doesn't boost the number of nanites you earn per scan, but it gets you focused on scanning animals and plants, and if you're uploading your scan data routinely, those nanites will start building quicker than you realize. Also, grab jobs from the job board in the space stations, especially ones that focus on scanning plants or animals. You can stack these and do them all at once. So, say you visit 20 space stations and get 10 missions for "Scan 5 plants." If you go to any planet and scan 5 plants, you'll complete all 10 of those identical missions simultaneously; that's 1,500 nanites or so when you turn them all in (not including the nanites you get from scanning individual plants/animals and uploading). Between individual scans netting 100,000+ units and the nanites from both scanning and missions, you'll start raking in units and nanites hand over fist.

Now, as someone else mentioned, you can't keep upgrades when transferring ships or multitools, so when you eventually replace your multitool, you'll need to buy 3 S-Class scanner upgrades again (and they aren't cheap). But it's the best way to earn a lot of money early in the game.

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada

Yup, this. I was running on middle/low graphic and video settings prior to the update and while not as pretty as some games, it certainly wasn't ugly and it didn't have all this pop-in. But post Beyond update, I'm having all of these problems.

I'm going to try switching to the Experimental branch.

"To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man's Sky from the Steam library page and select 'Properties'. Among the available tabs will be the 'BETAS' tab. Enter '3xperimenta' in the textbox and press "CHECK CODE", then select it from the dropdown menu."

Will report back later tonight if I see any improvement in this play. I'm running a GTX 950 by the way. I need to upgrade my PC so I can play this game in all of its glory.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I just bought this because of this update - but sounding like I should wait until it's a bit more patched up... is that an accurate synopsis?

I mean it depends on if you get any issues, how bad they are and your tolerance of them. Aside from the crash in the Anomaly and occasional inability to speak to NPCs there (both fixed for me by going offline), I've been enjoying my time in BEYOND. If you've already bought the game there no harm in trying it, and if you feel like your experience is suffering, put it aside for a week or 2. Post update patches come thick and fast so it's never a long wait to get things Bristol fashion.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Holy shit, Wiring Looms cost 61k units? I need 5 of these for some of the upgrades I have
There is no other way to get these stuff?
I'm assuming this is a new item introduced in Beyond because I haven't seen them before. It might be something where you can learn a blueprint by visiting manufacturing facilities, though if it's that spendy, building it will usually cost a lot of resources anyway. I end up forgetting what the early game is like where you're worried about the cost of things; I've got nearly 3 billion units at this point, so when I see something like that I just think "better buy 50 just in case."

If you haven't already, toss 3 S-Class scanner upgrades on your multitool and you'll be rolling in dough in no time. It gives 100,000+ per creature scanned, and 50,000 or so per plant. Drop down to a planet, scan everything within 50 meters of you, move on to another planet and you'll be making millions of units for a couple minutes of work. It is by far the most efficient way to get units until you have the resources to invest in a major farming operation.

Oct 28, 2017
Riiiiiight. How do I know where my ship is. I left it to look around now I don't know where it is. Pressing the scan button doesn't highlight it and there's no map. Help?

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this game makes me feel really lonely.
That feeling of isolation was one of the best parts of the initial release. With The Nexus, social updates and spaceships often flying overhead O feel like that's mostly gone now. Or severely reduced. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess you can completely opt out of that stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This was always used as a selling point for the game early on, which has made the commitment to developing a multiplayer component slightly baffling. People took the "you can play with your friends" angle and ran with it while completely ignoring the "you could play this for a million years and literally never find anyone else because the universe is effectively infinite." Turns out people don't like being alone.

Oct 28, 2017
My current tutorial impressions are that the move controls are absolute ass I don't understand how people can play games like that. Dualshock all the way. As for the game itself I will reserve judgement for after I'm out of this initial phase but I will say that I don't like crafting systems in games and so far all I'm doing is gathering resources and spending tedious time in menus. But the game hasn't opened up yet so I remain hopeful that the game will get fun soon.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looks like the game is a mess on PSVR. Hope the incoming patches will fix these issues.

You just can't help yourself, can you. :)

The IQ is low on the PSVR, but the performance is currently better on the PSVR.

Hopefully future patches will add a pro performance to the PSVR and iron out performance issues on PCVR.

For a free update, VR is an amazing addition to NMS. I'd bet this will sell quite a few copies.

Technology Config Guide

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
MrDaravon Found the guide for where to place things optimally. Don't know where I found it originally, probably Reddit, but it does have a credit on the bottom corner so credit where it's due. Mostly common sense but I found it a handy guide last time I was starting from scratch and I was trying not to waste nanites. Could be its a little out of date too so its worth bearing in mind.
It also reminded me that once could double up certain upgrade modules by having 3 in suit general storage and 3 in suit technology, though I've yet to test on BEYOND.

I'll quote it, since its massive.
L9Wr3Tz.png

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this is a new item introduced in Beyond because I haven't seen them before. It might be something where you can learn a blueprint by visiting manufacturing facilities, though if it's that spendy, building it will usually cost a lot of resources anyway. I end up forgetting what the early game is like where you're worried about the cost of things; I've got nearly 3 billion units at this point, so when I see something like that I just think "better buy 50 just in case."

If you haven't already, toss 3 S-Class scanner upgrades on your multitool and you'll be rolling in dough in no time. It gives 100,000+ per creature scanned, and 50,000 or so per plant. Drop down to a planet, scan everything within 50 meters of you, move on to another planet and you'll be making millions of units for a couple minutes of work. It is by far the most efficient way to get units until you have the resources to invest in a major farming operation.

Thanks for the tip my friend!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So a friend and me finally bit the bullet on PC and bought it after we jumped off before launch after the mess happened and 2 minutes in I'm quite impressed! Before I play on though, one question, is it normal that the graphics are quite "shaky" for the lack of a better word? The skyline of mountains and all shake around as if I would run the game off of an old CRT TV o.o

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I only get that feeling in uncharted/abandoned systems to be honest. Everywhere else there's way too much activity for me to feel truly isolated. I can't complain though, I love that there's more/better NPC activity now (I hope they expand that further in future updates) and while multiplayer isn't really what I want in this game I do appreciate the ambience that the presence of other players can bring to games (in general).

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Came here to see what people thought of the new update. Sounds like I'll wait until I have a lull in games to play before checking out nms again. I wasn't too into it on release. I tried it again when the last big update came out and it... pretty much seemed the same to me?

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Came here to see what people thought of the new update. Sounds like I'll wait until I have a lull in games to play before checking out nms again. I wasn't too into it on release. I tried it again when the last big update came out and it... pretty much seemed the same to me?
Game is incomparable to launch imo, and I loved it even before the day one patch lol.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
So finally got the mission to find a exo craft technician after building the terminal and went to 15 space stations and talked to every npc and have not found one yet. It's gotta be glitched as I had no issues with the other terminal specialist.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
You just can't help yourself, can you. :)

The IQ is low on the PSVR, but the performance is currently better on the PSVR.

Hopefully future patches will add a pro performance to the PSVR and iron out performance issues on PCVR.

For a free update, VR is an amazing addition to NMS. I'd bet this will sell quite a few copies.

Yeah, I think the PSVR mode is fine. It would be nice for a Pro patch, but for a free update I love it. Thanks Hello Games for the great support!

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone getting a "Construction Limit research" error when editing your pre-Beyond base? I never got this error before and I was editing my base the day before Beyond dropped. Now I can't add anything to most of my base structures.