• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
nomansskysysreqs8vipm.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; 25/07/2018 build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Improve performance (1): Install this mod. (Credit to Lo2k @ Nexus Mods via Darkstorne.)
Improve performance (2): See the links in this post. (Credit to various people via Grahf.)
Enable tessellation: Open Steam\SteamApps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML with a text editor and change the value of "EnableTessellation" to "True". (Credit to crimsonnocturne @ Reddit via Danlord.)
Note: Significantly impacts performance.
Adjust field of view beyond in-game values: Open Steam\SteamApps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML with a text editor and change the value of "FoVOnFoot" and "FoVInShip" to your desired setting/s. (Credit to daxy.)
Disable chromatic aberration, scanlines, and vignetting: Install this mod. (Credit to celestaux @ Video Game Mods via Froliq.)
Graphics settings comparisons: See this Steam Community post. (Credit to Ⓣ☯Ⓜ @ Steam Community via milamber182.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Window mode: Bordered; Borderless; Fullscreen
Monitor: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; TAA (Low); TAA; TAA + FXAA
On-foot field of view: 60 -> 100 in increments of 1
Flight field of view: 60 -> 100 in increments of 1
Motion blur quality: Off; Medium; High; Ultra
Motion blur amount: 0 -> 100 in increments of 1
HBAO: Off/On
Anisotropic filtering: 1x; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Texture detail: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Shadow detail: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Reflection quality: Low; Medium; High
Light shafts: Off/On
Max FPS: 30fps; 60fps; 90fps; 110fps; Max
Gamma: 0 -> 128 in increments of 1

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm experiencing screen tearing. I tried vsync on/of in-game and in Nvidia control panel and RTSS fps cap. Couldn't fix it.

Also it's annoying that I have to restart the game after changing the settings.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
CreditingChanser

Using this tweak I went from 30 and below frames to 60+. Before this, it would default to 30 fps on planets no matter what frames setting you'd choose.

*enable triple buffering in control panel (game is open gl, triple buffering setting is for openg gl works like a charm, no noticeable input lag at all, +15 fps)
*must set borderless.
*if using vsync, use nvidia vsync setting, not in game
*must set game to 90fpps cap (in game menu, 60 is not enough as it actually caps around 57)

The only thing that remains is that playing this on 1440p it's still a bunch of jaggies and low resolution UI.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
CreditingChanser

Using this tweak I went from 30 and below frames to 60+. Before this, it would default to 30 fps on planets no matter what frames setting you'd choose.

The only thing that remains is that playing this on 1440p it's still a bunch of jaggies and low resolution UI.

Tried that, and it dropped my frames to around 45fps instead of the 60fps I was getting in the same area. I posted something in the other thread regarding this:

So I think my poor performance on PC is due to some weird resolution bug. I have my desktop at 4K and when I load the game, the steam overlay FPS counter is in 4K as it's tiny, but the game is 1080p. I think the game is downsampling from 4K to 1080p.

So I set my desktop to 1080p and when I next load the game, the resolution in game is set to 4K. Steam FPS is 1080p as well. Even odder.

So I keep my resolution on the desktop at 1080p and switch the ingame resolution to 1080p and when I load the game again, it's on 1080p but my steam overlay FPS is back to 4K.

No idea how to fix it, but it just won't do a standard 1080p and I'm going from 40fps to 60fps.

Messy read, so apologies. Basically because I'm running on a 4K TV, the game either downsamples in 4K at 1080p or runs at 4K native regardless of what I do.

Danlord

Oct 29, 2017
No Man's Sky NEXT has added support for tessellation, but it is turned off by default, as it does produce some bugs so it's not a final implementation so it may make your game glitchy, it may produce dramatic frame-rate drops in areas etc.. I've copied the Reddit post that details how to enable it.

Go to:
steam\steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS
open TXGRAPHICSSETTINGS in wordpad
go to the line at the bottom
<Property name="EnableTessellation" value="true" />
and if it says False instead of true, type true like shown above.

Images are from the Reddit post, not mine;

Without Tessellation
Ep7VtZG.jpg

With Tessellation
csP2gIj.jpg

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Borderless works on AF set to 2 but fails on 4. Setting also causes the game to crash anytime you change it.

Edit: Now that's not working. Hmm. Some combination in the graphics menu caused borderless to work.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I find enabling Fastsync in Nvidia Inspector helps with tearing and stutter when the fps is in the 50-60 range.

Was gonna post this - I've used it for targeting 60FPS at 1080p (running a 980ti /4790) and found fast sync to be the best option. I haven't tried the in game frame limiter or an external one yet either, but I don't think my rig can hit 60 frames at 1440 so I might be done tweaking.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Tried that, and it dropped my frames to around 45fps instead of the 60fps I was getting in the same area. I posted something in the other thread regarding this:

Messy read, so apologies. Basically because I'm running on a 4K TV, the game either downsamples in 4K at 1080p or runs at 4K native regardless of what I do.

Maybe it's setup based when it comes to results, try to chance the ingame settings a bit see if that helps. And yeah, the game doesn't have resolution settings, I'm playing on 1440p and while it says it's on 1440p the game still runs in 1080p with text and the UI too big and blurry. Still haven't figured out how to fix this. I can tell it's not set right because the steam overlay's low res as well.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Can't get stable 60 fps (hovers above 40-45) on 1080p and medium settings (i5-3570, gtx 970), triple buffering enabled.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed my first night with the game, but I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in performance. Not that I was expecting a small indie team to produce the most optimized game in the world, but I'm getting a pretty unstable 40-70 fps at 3440x1440 with the following hardware:
GTX 1080
i5-8400
32gb RAM

And that's with AA, Shadows, Reflections, and Motion Blur toggled to lower settings or off completely.

For the hell of it I tried it at 16:9 1080p, and even though I hit 100 fps in many cases, I still had drops as low as 80 somehow.

Anybody know of any tweaks/particularly unoptimized graphics settings to tweak to drastically boost performance?

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get stable frames with a 1070 @ 1440p. Hovers around 30 but can go lower. In space it is 60.

1080p is stable 60 tho. I might have to play like that.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Was gonna post this - I've used it for targeting 60FPS at 1080p (running a 980ti /4790) and found fast sync to be the best option. I haven't tried the in game frame limiter or an external one yet either, but I don't think my rig can hit 60 frames at 1440 so I might be done tweaking.

I'm getting 60 fps (1440p) most of the time with a 980Ti + 8700k. All maxed out except 'medium' shadows. Some drops when landing and in some planets (waterworld).

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting 60 fps (1440p) most of the time with a 980Ti + 8700k. All maxed out except 'medium' shadows. Some drops when landing and in some planets (waterworld).

I'll try medium shadows later tonight. the game is such a fuckin hassle to test though because of the restart required. And for some reason, my game will not re launch after I quit out of it without restarting my computer. It's been like this since the base edition.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone playing this on a shitbox? I've still got a 2500k paired with a 1050ti. Wouldn't mind checking out the multi but I'd probably rather double-dip on PC rather than buy PS+.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Having to play on Low/off because keeping 60fps on a 970 is impossible at 1080p for me. Textures on Ultra and AF 16x with TAA. Might aswell have that all on because if I bump reflections or shadows up the framerate tanks.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Are there patch notes for the experimental patch that's already out on Steam? Saw Sean tweet about it but did not see what it specifically addresses

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky NEXT has added support for tessellation, but it is turned off by default, as it does produce some bugs so it's not a final implementation so it may make your game glitchy, it may produce dramatic frame-rate drops in areas etc.. I've copied the Reddit post that details how to enable it.

Images are from the Reddit post, not mine;

Without Tessellation
Ep7VtZG.jpg

With Tessellation
csP2gIj.jpg

Holy crap .. that's like a 300% reduction in performance ..

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Can not get 60fps locked at 1440p no matter what I do. Sometimes it dips to 30's!

I7 7700k
1070 8gb
16 go ram.

Am i doing something wrong or is this how the game just runs?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the previous updates did a number on my performance, and this one seems to follow suit.

970 / 4690k @ 4.4

The frame rate tends to hover around the low 50s when looking at dense areas on 1080p, otherwise it'll hit 60. Very unstable though. Shadows, reflections, and texture quality set to medium. HBAO on, light shafts off, AF x16, TAA, FOV 120.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering what I just experienced on the PS4 Pro I'll be happy if I can get a smooth 30fps on my [email protected]/980ti combo...

Will report back once I've given it a go but it will most likely be tomorrow now.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I don't want to run 1080p on my 1440p monitor. I guess maybe I'm capping at 30

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Running at 1440p feels rough with my 6700K/1070. Lowered shadows to medium, fxaa on, 100 fov, x16 af, hbao, lightshafts on, ultra textures, medium reflection. Vsync, 60fps, full screen.

Not sure what fps I'm getting but it's dropping hard a lot. I'll playing about with it tomorrow and see if I can improve performance.

Will be downloading it on my PS4 to see what that's like. I can deal with lower frame rates on console so might just play it there if I get no luck on PC.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Works great for me at 1080p/60fps on a i5 8600k/GTX1080 with 16gb ram. Initial shader load took quite a while though, lol

Game looks and runs great for me. It defaulted to 30fps but after playing it a bit I upped it to 60 and didn't see a performance hit, so that was nice.

Oct 27, 2017
The game runs pretty mediocre for me in general. I get around 40-50fps most of the time @ 1080p. i7 3770k, GTX 1070, 16gb RAM. I got the graphics maxed out. Walking around planets with flora and fauna lead to the most frame drops.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
i7 8770k
1080 8gb
16gb DDR4

Playing at 1440p and while it runs at around 90-100+ in space and sparse planets, dips below 60 on any planet with dense foliage even with shadows turned down and v-sync/AA off.

AmuroRX

Oct 25, 2017
Can not get 60fps locked at 1440p no matter what I do. Sometimes it dips to 30's!

I7 7700k
1070 8gb
16 go ram.

Am i doing something wrong or is this how the game just runs?

I have exact specs and i have the same issues. I have to resort to locking fps at 30fps. This really sucks.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps it's worth noting in the original post that you can widen the FOV beyond 100 manually. I think they're measuring it vertically, because it feels very narrow even maxed out.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not my main PC, but 4790K + 960 @ 1080p, low/off everything. This is ass, even capped at 30. LOL But I'm still having a pretty good time.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This seems like a replay of what we saw during the initial launch. Terrible performance everywhere. I spent more than my Steam refund window just trying to get the thing to run reasonably.

curlycare

Oct 27, 2017
I was having an awful amount of stuttering with 6700k and 1080gtx, but following this guide it has seemingly stopped. It was probably the combination of texture memory and cpu thread count settings that was causing the stutters, since texture memory was set to 64kb and max thread count to 2 for some weird reason.

EDIT: Or maybe not, stutters still in space, though less on planet surface.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
During a 40 minute session, I averaged 75 fps. 4930k + 1060 @ 1080p.

AA - TAA+FXAA
HBAO - On
Light Shafts - On
Reflection Quality - High
Shadow Detail - High
Texture Detail - Ultra

Vsync off.

Mixture of space play and messing around on planets.