• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

The Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes launch party happened yesterday in Shibuya. It featured Grasshopper staff alongside Swery65 as a guest and fans of Grasshopper attending this party.

a65a2085debe248c9bf3c9xjkk.jpg

DLC Details

• DLC 01 from the Season Pass is Black Dandelion, making Shinobu Jacobs playable alongside her original voice actress.
  • Shinobu will receive two exclusive chips, and also have her own dialogue during the game worlds of Travis Strikes Again.
  • It will feature the visual novel segment of Badman, Travis' unfortunate partner in the events of Travis Strikes Again, written by Masahi Ooka (long-time writer of Grasshopper).
  • Grasshopper showcased her new finisher:
NdfHYF4.gif

NEW T-SHIRT: Deadly Premonition (probably The Missing too)
  • Travis will be able to wear a T-shirt of Deadly Premonition as a legendary collaboration
sgsdfgrdfgse6k2a.png

812mcp4GdXL._UX569_.jpg

NEW STAGE: Killer Marathon (Work in Progress) for the second DLC Bubblegum Fatale
  • Inspired by a pinball game and has a marathon aspect that wasn't disclosed further.
  • It's going to be the hardest level of the game, they want to make it almost unclearable in Spicy mode (the hardest difficulty).
  • Says there is a Back to the Future III homage in the game.
DagNXK3.gif

Release date of DLCs
  • The release date of DLC:01 Black Dandelion is going to be February 28th, whereas the second DLC starring Bad Girl will be released on April 28th at the latest. Both are included in the season pass.

___

The event launched an exclusive new T-Shirt that sold out in 10 minutes, based on Joy Division's Unknown Pleasure album art. Suda said it was only going to be available there so I'm seething with rage at the idea that I will never wear a t-shirt as cool as this one

DxWZ3peV4AErXRb.jpg:large

Travis Strikes Again

• The reason Suda51 developed Travis Strikes Again for the Switch
About three years before the Switch release, he was invited to a prototype hardware codenamed NX. He thought it was awesome and said it was a great time to bring Travis back. They had skipped the Wii U but the Switch felt very cool about how you would combine controllers and said it was the right time to do it.
  • How he came up with the concept of the Death Drive (games within a game)
He came up with it for Let it Die but he was dissatisfied with how it came out so he wanted to bring it back and develop it further with Travis.

Music of Travis Strikes Again
  • The reason to hire two DJs for the music of the game and his outline of the music
- Suda was seeking for new blood to make the music of TSA and he was introduced to DJ Abo and "DJ1, 2" to make the soundtrack of Travis Strikes Again. Suda gave general ideas for the music and let the producers do the music with these ideas.
- DJ Abo was inspired by Donkey Kong for the music in Coffee & Doughnuts to replicate that 2D platformer synthwave feel.
- Some music in Life is Destroy had been AI generated and touched up in order to give a "ghostly" feel to them considering the theme of the game was about witnessing the murders of a serial killer on the run. The music is apparently generated in real-time in the game.
- The boss fight of Smoking King was sung by Uki Satake, a popstar of the group 9nine and a voice actress (she was the voice of QT from Space Dandy for example). Says it has a lot of easter egg within it. In New Game +, the music becomes an instrumental version in the hope that players would become involved and sing to it.
- The Eight Hearts music was made with overseas fans in mind, with the rap and the low-bass music that they thought was the kind of thing people from overseas would like.

They talked about the music a lot but the most interesting is that the final boss music has a mysterious message, and it has a meaning that can be potentially only found by mixing and cutting the music around. DJ Abo would not tell you if you got it right on twitter, but he would like your tweet to let you know he acknowledged your fan theory and give you hints

The music itself is a remix of No More Heroes layered on top of the popular Russian station numbers music UVB-76

Swery65

qsdfesqdfghrkva.png

Swery on Travis Strikes Again
He approached his opinion of the game as a game designer and he enjoyed how everything was visually available. Like skill icons being darkened when they are still charging, but also how this information is also available to see in the gameplay. He also liked how when Travis or Badman are behind a wall and you can't see them, there is an outline of the characters with different colours, making it so that you always know what you're doing if you're P1 or P2. He says there are simple design concepts that makes a game much easier to play and enjoyable.

Suda's opinion on Swery

Suda feels Swery likes mysterious things with an edge to them and all of his work is very new and innovative. He's a bit of a weirdo who comes up with ideas you don't see in games and realizes them, and it's pretty cool. Like the game The Missing looks normal but comes with an edge.

Swery going indie and The Missing
He felt that the general idea was that Swery's games have really good stories but that's all they are, so he brought game design first for the creation of The Missing.
Swery is 45 and he spent 24 years in the industry. About 2 years ago, he established White Owls after things happened (health issues, Access Games). He thought today is the indie era and wanted to create pieces of art instead of big games, and he felt he wanted to go for something like Grasshopper was doing.

A part of the intro of Swery's game "The Missing" was shown and the moment where the character keeps walking was said to be a homage towards Suda51's game "Flower, Sun, and Rain", a game infamous for making the player walk for dozens of thousands of steps. What he felt about Suda's game and his approach about walking is (transcribing the interpreter): "You can have somebody feel and think, give them a little bit of time, don't make them press buttons, just let them experience the game. And I think it went well, it gives you a lot of chance to have emotional change when you're playing the game".

Swery first wanted to make a side scrolling action game and add additional layers but without using items. Instead, he wanted the character itself to become an item. Says he was probably really drunk when the idea popped up, but it worked out great in the end.

Industry trends and collaborating together

Their opinion is that the industry rules right now with the Steam store, Epic store, and the Switch. They really want to do a collaboration together. Maybe in the future doing a VR adventure game. Or Suda coming up with a game and them working together.

That was pretty much all from this party.

___

Big NMH spoilers from the post-credits of Travis Strikes Again:

The 3 of No More Heroes 3 has been datamined

It is of a similar font as Back to the Future 3

BackToTheFuture3Deluxe_2048x2048.jpg

Also, the post-credits scene of Travis Strikes Again is called "NMH3" in the debug menu

erertdfgdsi5ksj.png

It might have something to do with the Killer Marathon stage. Or No More Heroes III is going to carry some time travel shenanigans.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
cool thread

shinobu's design is a big yikes though, all over the place. not a fan at all

vn2DOTR.png

iiGig2k.png

TZCQs1k.png

DJ Abo was inspired by Donkey Kong for the music in Coffee & Doughnuts to replicate that 2D platformer synthwave feel.
and it fucking shows. my favourite piece from the soundtrack.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, figures that the second DLC is likely going to end in another (TSA spoilers) No More Heroes 3 teaser based on the datamine

The music really surprised me in this game. Killer Marathon also looks interesting, I wonder if they're gonna take some of the enemy encounter criticism to heart. TSA's combat system is surprisingly nuanced, and a level that can take advantage of it would be interesting.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Looks hot. Playing through NG+ as Shinobu should be fun.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Huh. I was wondering if the Life is Destroy music was AI generated.

Also, I'm not big on Shinobu's design either, but I'm happy she's at least back.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I would always confuse Swery and Suda awhile back. Regardless, them doing a full-on collab would probably be amazing.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Lots of good sruff. Dissapointed I missed out on the shirt. I'd love to see the two and Yoko Taro collab on something, it would be insane and amazing.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really cool info, really love that deadlyP shirt design. I want to finish the game but I'm gonna buy newnjoycons since my original ones are kinda borked

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I like shinobu design but I can foresee some complaints...

Travis strikes again was a fun ride full of nice ideas. Gameplay was quite meh though imo and that last level was one of the worst I have met since a looooong time.

I'm still really hyped for nmh3!

Last edited:

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God DAMN it Suda posted that shirt on social media like a week ago and I immediately decided I needed it. So mad it's already dead and gone.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot to add this

The assassins mentioned in the tweet:

2019012101342400-59feosjqh.png

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
That Joy Division shirt is hot, wish I could've gotten one.

Some cool details and trivia in those interviews. The music in this game was really great, so it's cool to learn more about the concepts behind it. Both of the DJs seem really friendly and open to fans which is really nice to see. I've really liked how Abo has been interacting with people on Twitter especially.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Good thread, thanks for the summary. I want Swery to handle a Flower, Sun and Rain remake.

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looking forward to playing through the game again as Shinobu, should be fun.

That Joy Division shirt is hot, wish I could've gotten one.

Some cool details and trivia in those interviews. The music in this game was really great, so it's cool to learn more about the concepts behind it. Both of the DJs seem really friendly and open to fans which is really nice to see. I've really liked how Abo has been interacting with people on Twitter especially.

I was surprised to find Abo following me on Twitter the other day after tweeting about TSA, seems like a really cool person.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'd feel like a poser wearing the Joy Division shirt since I just know NMH. Still, it's pretty rad, too.

Also, happy to say I figured out the JoJo's hint on my own! I haven't beaten the game yet, but
I'm glad Doppelgänger is actually NMH canon & not just a game-within-a-game.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely looking forward to playing through the game again as Shinobu, should be fun.

I was surprised to find Abo following me on Twitter the other day after tweeting about TSA, seems like a really cool person.

Abo is very friendly, even answered to my question about a potential album release

Give him a follow if you can

Oct 25, 2017
He felt that the general idea was that Swery's games have really good stories but that's all they are, so he brought game design first for the creation of The Missing.
Swery is 45 and he spent 24 years in the industry. About 2 years ago, he established White Owls after things happened (health issues, Access Games). He thought today is the indie era and wanted to create pieces of art instead of big games, and he felt he wanted to go for something like Grasshopper was doing.

A part of the intro of Swery's game "The Missing" was shown and the moment where the character keeps walking was said to be a homage towards Suda51's game "Flower, Sun, and Rain", a game infamous for making the player walk for dozens of thousands of steps. What he felt about Suda's game and his approach about walking is (transcribing the interpreter): "You can have somebody feel and think, give them a little bit of time, don't make them press buttons, just let them experience the game. And I think it went well, it gives you a lot of chance to have emotional change when you're playing the game".
I love those two doofus.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I would love to see SWERY write a new Silver Case game with Suda and Ooka. He should write his own route. I bet that'd be a fanboys dream of his (since he's such a big Suda fan and all).

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see SWERY write a new Silver Case game with Suda and Ooka. He should write his own route. I bet that'd be a fanboys dream of his (since he's such a big Suda fan and all).
...considering how popular the Missing is getting, maybe he's the key for people even noticing the Silver Case.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of great details, nice. I got really excited when I saw Swery was going to attend, but I only expected a t shirt to come out of it... If they really were to collaborate, oh man.

Loved the confirmation that those characters were meant for other games officially; they looked way too cool to just serve as randos in a mini VN. I swear I could read about details like this in Suda's games for days without getting bored, there's so much fascinating stuff about them. Also, I didn't really see the DK resemblance in Coffee and Doughnuts, but that's my favorite track by far; they did such a fantastic job with the soundtrack, I really need an official release already.

Quite excited for the Shinobu DLC too, although yes, her design is kinda terrible and the NMH2 one was already bad, sigh.
I forgot to add this

I liked this detail a lot, haha. Didn't occur to me that it might had something missing; the Jojo poses really caught me off guard lol.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I hope TSA is doing well. I agree the game has some tedious parts, but overall I am really enjoying the game. Furthermore the game talks clearly about NMH3, so I hope Nintendo gives Suda help to develop the game as needed.
Also a Swery game funded by Nintendo