• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
1. Why are people in this thread assuming that PS5 is now coming next year?
2. Why do people think that PSX is just announcements?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine he mentioned them because they're the next two big exclusives on the docket.
They are also probably the only ones they would allow the public to play. GOT, TLOU and DS are probably not ready enough for playable demo. Most of their revealed VR games are going to be out by then, apart from the London Heist game.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
1. Why are people in this thread assuming that PS5 is now coming next year?
2. Why do people think that PSX is just announcements?
Lots of people have been on the 2019 PS5 train, this announcement only adds to the reasons why 2019 timing is perfect. PS Meeting is usually around February, PS+ game changes in 2019, Matt hints, other hints..

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I hope PS5 won't be in 2019...

If it's really 2019, PS5 better be BC and at 399€

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 in 2019, it's a goddamn lock now. They dont want to announce stuff and dont want to look like fools for not announcing anything. See you in Feburary, Cerny!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the PS5 2019 stuff as well their studios all release games or busy making the ones we know.

Too soon for GG or SSM to show anything.

ASarafanov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Japan
So, no Last of Us 2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima in 2019? Ugh...
I don't care about Dreams. And Days Gone looks cheap.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I figured as much. PSX was mostly a retread of E3 but for the fans. Seeing the third and fourth trailers of TLOU 2 and Death Stranding isn't enticing.

What's with the PS5 reveal posts in here? If that console is expected to be a holiday 2020 release they'll likely reveal it no earlier than E3 2019 and more than likely do a solo event in February 2020 to mimic the PS4 reveal.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
So that is where they will announce name changes ;) haha
Mmm. That is not as crazy as you might think

It was Greg Miller who got the quote from the Sony exec that we would hear more about name changes by the following year.

Greg has probably been one of the loudest voices in calling for name changes...

Confirmed

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I figured as much. PSX was mostly a retread of E3 but for the fans. Seeing the third and fourth trailers of TLOU 2 and Death Stranding isn't enticing.

What's with the PS5 reveal posts in here? If that console is expected to be a holiday 2020 release they'll likely reveal it no earlier than E3 2019 and more than likely do a solo event in February 2020 to mimic the PS4 reveal.
PSX could have been way better last year, but they did have PGW.

Anyhow, PS5 2019. Is just not in the cards.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why they need more teams/studios even if they're making AA stuff. You have all these main studios taking 5+ years to make a game and you end up with times like this where there's nothing much to show unless you're going to show days gone for the 400th time.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
You do that

With all the games still slated for 2019 for the PS4,
Sony will be ignorant to release PS5 next year.

I was on the PS5 late 2019 wagon a while ago, but as you say they've still got some games on the horizon, and it's not like the competition is fierce or anything this generation. They can just take it easy and release it whenever, really. Would be foolish to realese it next year, but I'm half-expecting a reveal by end of 2019 now.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if it ends up being a similar situation like PS4 Pro/X, do third parties need time to adapt if they can just keep making games on base PS4 and create a Pro/X like patch for PS5?

But it's not going to be a similar situation. Over the course of next year starting with TGA we're going to see publishers hyping their first crossgen games (without saying so). It already began with Starfield and TESVI, but we would have seen way more of that if the next generation was going to be announced early next year. It's simply not happening.

Surely you're not expecting PS5 to launch with next-gen exclusive third party games...

Same answer to that post.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Last of Us 2, and the third party usual onslaught of titles were to launch in 2019. I do not see a PS5 launching. I think they will want every possible purchase frm PS4 owners for the upcoming software.

They will not in like Feb or March 2019 reveal the PS5 for that fall, and then have gamers purchase Last of Us 2 or Death Stranding as PS5 launch titles. They will want people to buy software for PS4 still in 2019.

This is just my opinion or gut feeling. And then By E3 2020, there will be time to talk about a 2020 late launch or a 2021 launch for PS5.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You do that

With all the games still slated for 2019 for the PS4,
Sony will be ignorant to release PS5 next year.
Look up what they released in 2013. Sony don't give a fuck about that, they like to end strong. Also, PS5 will probably run all them day 1, so they won't even be fucking themselves this time, by having last gen exclusives releasing after the new console.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
So Dreams may be the big spring game for Sony's big exclusive after days gone. Yes!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now that we have Spiderman out the door, we're looking down in 2019 to games like Dreams and Days Gone but we wouldn't have enough to bring people altogether in some location in North America to have that event. We don't want to set expectations really high and then not deliver on it."

Remember when they tried to temper expectations at the 2018 E3 and people said nah, they'll show more. And then they were disappointed when they didn't! LOL

So if Sony said we're gonna only show these few items. People would react the same way again and then be disappointed again. Only thing to do was to cancel it. Good on them.