• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
That sucks and I'm no EGS fan or defender, but preloads suck on Steam. Game doesn't release til 10 am the day of (compared to midnight/9pm day before for a lot of other digital releases) and if you preloaded, it does that unpacking thing that takes as long as a download does.
Plenty of games release at midnight on steam, and unpacking speed is dependent mostly on game-size and CPU. In some cases downloading it will be faster than unpacking a preload.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm surprised people actually pre-load their games on Steam. I did that shit for Dishonored 2 on release day and the unpack was so fucking slow that deleting and redownloading the game was quicker for me (which I ended up doing).

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
All Jokes aside, preloading ins't just about checking if the person owns the game and pushing a few large files there way ahead of time. Usually this ins't how it works. The whole game is usually pushed and then executing that file or unlocking that file is then held behind a server check to verify time/date and ownership of the game.
It's a big backend update and change to the dowload system. If you get it wrong, you could end up giving away BL3 to tons of people who didn't actually purchase it.
If Epic hasn't started working on this feature by now, it's not something they can just slap together in the time frame before BL3 releases.
From Tim's response it sounds like this is a feature coming though. Just that it wont be ready in time. Which is kind of lame.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
On console or atleast on Xbox there is no unpacking. Ones its time you click on the game and it starts and you are in.

I believe all the consoles work the same way, you basically get everything downloaded but the executable. This probably isn't an option on PC because if you don't encrypt everything, the game will be completely datamined by the time it's released.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A shame, but it'll likely download just as fast on a gigabit connection than it would decrypt on Steam.

Oct 27, 2017
Rather than shake your head, maybe think a bit more:

I don't think anyone is happy with a lack of preload. But a lot of folk just don't consider it a high priority either because they don't need it (a-holes with awesome internet) don't intend to use it (folk who don't pre-order stuff) or just don't care (folk who aren't going to play at midnight because of work).

So... apathy is enough to accept fewer features? Features that most competitors already have. Like... on the 3DS, of all things.

It is just a matter of doing an assessment: is the value of being able to play this game a few months/year before it comes to Steam worth the lack of cloud saves and the inability to play it within the first hour of release?

Yeah, but here's the catch: you have to make that choice because Epic forced that position when they bought exclusivity for the game. You (the customer, the user, the gamer, however you want to call yourself) always loses here. But you seem to be completely OK with that...

It takes me longer to "unpack" a game after a pre-load than it does to just download / install after release. It's bizarre.

Then this feature is not for you. There are people who don't have good Internet connection and being able to download the game before it launches makes a world of a difference.

I'll never understand the "got mine, eff you" attitude some users have :S

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Does EGS stuff unlock at midnight at least? I can deal with putting it to download before going to work or during lunch break.

Did they confirm BL3 won't have cloud saves at launch?
No idea. Presumably Gearbox will check that checkbox and fill in the path to where they store save files. But... Gearbox

Mostly I just tried to think of a major problem with lasting issues rather than something that only impacts people who pre-order the games and want to play it the night/morning of.

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that puts a bit of a damper on my plans :/ . Figured I'd jump right in at release, but if it's like this I'll probably not make it until the next day. Which year is it again?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's fine, it's not like games are massive these days and require many, many hours to download for most people.....

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, history of similar behavior
So... apathy is enough to accept fewer features? Features that most competitors already have. Like... on the 3DS, of all things.
Well then. I like to have a breakfast burrito when I go on a road trip. But I also grab starbucks coffee because their lattes are pretty okay. I hope you'll be joining me in screaming at them and protesting outside of Starbucks HQ so that I can get a bacon green without walking across the street.

Or, you know, we have different priorities and different things are make or break for us.

Seriously dude, empathy. It is great to bitch that Epic are missing basic features. I am right up there with you. But don't act like a smug jerk if people aren't willing to die on the hill you are.
Because funny enough: it helps to highlight how little impact this particular failing has for the vast majority of consumers by presenting your argument as a caricature of an angry gamer. Which then makes people less likely to focus on the other shit EGS is missing.

Oct 25, 2017
71csctXWrmL._SX425_.jpg

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not preloading because it's faster to just download instead of download+unpack for me too but I'm far from assuming that everyone on the planet has my 650MB/s unlimited data connection.

Oct 25, 2017
They can take their time, but please do it right whenever you do it. Make it more like Uplay and less like Steam. Preloading is probably the one thing I dislike the most about Steam, or at least the one that frequently bothers me the most.

Oct 27, 2017
pre-loading has only ever been a useful feature if you're preordering a game and i literally will never preorder a game

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Eh.
Steam pre-loading is worse then actually downloading the game at launch day. So it doesn't change anything.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than shake your head, maybe think a bit more:

I don't think anyone is happy with a lack of preload. But a lot of folk just don't consider it a high priority either because they don't need it (a-holes with awesome internet) don't intend to use it (folk who don't pre-order stuff) or just don't care (folk who aren't going to play at midnight because of work).

It is just a matter of doing an assessment: is the value of being able to play this game a few months/year before it comes to Steam worth the lack of cloud saves and the inability to play it within the first hour of release?
Ah so just another no big deal. My bad.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This is to be completely expected to be honest. We all know how they miss their roadmap goals or have done so in the past 2 months or so or more. All of their money are going into buying third party exclusives and so are their priorities. They do not feel that making a competent client is important to compete with steam and win over customers.

Also for anyone saying Steam preload is shit. Really its not. Even if preload takes some time decrypting game files on launch, a lot of people don't have fast enough internet to download a game in a few minutes or in a couple of hours. I remember downloading games at launch took my 10-24 hours depending on the game's size on my previous 2MB internet connection. Steam has a lot of customers from around the world for them and me, preload is pretty damn valuable. Just cause it takes 15-20 minutes max to decrypt doesn't mean that Steam's preload is shit. Preload in general is massively convenient to the end user. So what i wanna say is that just cause you wanna vocally support EGS for whatever reason, doesn't mean you uselessly shit on Steam. Criticize a guy like Tim for not properly preparing for a big title like BL3.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Generally if you have slow internet, you definitely want to preload because the unpacking process will take much more shorter time than downloading it when it launched. For example the latest Destiny 2's expansion can took several days to download if you have shitty internet. If you have fast internet it's all depend on your PC but usually it's faster to just download it.

Living in a country with a shit internet, I prefer to have a preload.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's just another launcher. Stop complaining. Steam sucks because they are taking 30%. Thank god Epic is here to save gaming

/s

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
On console or atleast on Xbox there is no unpacking. Ones its time you click on the game and it starts and you are in.

Well, on PC you gotta protect files somehow.

Plenty of games release at midnight on steam, and unpacking speed is dependent mostly on game-size and CPU. In some cases downloading it will be faster than unpacking a preload.

It's mostly HDD/SSD dependent. (Probably isn't optimized for SSDs, which would benifit from using multithreading).
When downloading normally decryption is essentially free, as decryption speed outweighs internet speed.
(Even normal downloads are encrypted, using same method as preload)

I wish steam would just protect most important files from preloads, leaving ie. only binaries encrypted.

Yeah, but here's the catch: you have to make that choice because Epic forced that position when they bought exclusivity for the game. You (the customer, the user, the gamer, however you want to call yourself) always loses here. But you seem to be completely OK with that...

Most people don't care about things they aren't affected by.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as if I expected them to take an opportunity to do something better than Steam does, but it would've been nice.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, if we had a competitive market between stores/launchers, right now people would be comparing EGS to Steam and deciding on the best way to buy/download the game.

Instead Epic has a monopoly on Borderlands 3 so the only option is to feel like a second class citizen or wait six months.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I just wanted to make a joke about preloading and releasedates but THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A RELEASEDATE FIELD ON THEIR STOREPAGES NOW MEGATON

Only took them 9 months. Others make a baby in that frame.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Didn't expect this many "Fuck you, got mine" posts in thread from people with very high speed connections. It really isn't that hard to put yourself into shoes of someone with e.g. 2 MB/s connection and see why preload would be insanely handy when it comes to 30+ GB games.

It's just pathetic that EGS doesn't have preload in place 9 months after release, or you know... by the release in 2018. Better hope they shore up their backend for BL3 release as their servers will get swarmed hard. Could be very, very bad day for EGS.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Bet it won't have achievements either

Can't expect a feature that was introduced by Xbox in 2005 and made an industry standard in 2008/2009 (besides Nintendo) to be on EGS in 2019

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018

In my personal experience I have bad memories of Steam Preload, for Monster Hunter, The Witcher 3, and a couple more games, Steam didn't preload correctly and mostly downloaded packed archives to unpack, so I downloaded the files only to unpackthem later, which took double the time if I'd only download the game when it was available.

I understand some people still find this usefull because they have data caps, terrible download speeds, but that's not my case, I can dl 50gb in about 10 minutes, while the unpacking and stuff would take around 15-20 minutes on my computer.

For me, Steam Preload is useless.

I would love to see the EGS doing a more effective pre-load system in which you download all the game but the .exe, and when the game is released, you just patch it with the .exe and you are set. (I don't know shit about computers)

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Bet it won't have achievements either

Can't expect a feature that was introduced by Xbox in 2005 and made an industry standard in 2008/2009 (besides Nintendo) to be on EGS in 2019

Took Steam 4 years to add achievements. Why are you expecting EGS to do them less? /s

(Edit: clarified a bit ...)

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Uplay, Origin, GoG all had achievements pretty much instantly, no?

I'm not too bothered about no pre load, but no achievements and probably no cloud saves is a big issue.

Cloud saves should be in for BL3.

EGS has technology for it, they just delay some exclusive release by a month so they have support person to manually do backend stuff to get cloud saves in for BL3.