• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you join a local protest

• Most certainly! I am already RSVP'd

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • Hell No! Point me to the nearest Marines recruitment station.

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • I would, but I have like really good reasons not to. I need to return some videos on Thursday at 5PM

Votes: 25 16.1%
  • Thor the Dark World

Votes: 88 56.8%

• Total voters

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sad that even on Resetera the majority won't commit to protesting and instead vote for the joke option. USA is such a failure and the world is paying the price.
The US populace is absolutely part of the problem. They are complacent and afraid of taking any kind of action to an absolutely staggering degree.

I truly hope this threat of war is what breaks the camel's back and protests finally start happening on a regular basis to a point where they lose their "event" character and aren't so easily ignored.

Keep in mind most people here probably have full time jobs. So you're basically asking a bunch of people to take off work or leave early to go to a protest, which is a fast track to getting fired.

Even if that isn't an issue, there are people like me who don't have an event near them and don't have the capacity to organize one.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
The poll and opening two words make me want to nope the fuck out of this thread lol good luck with your short notice demos though. You should do this more as a nation.
In fact you should gather as a hundred thousand and surround trump tower in NYC next time he's there. Give him that 'escaped to the embassy' experience.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Nope because the US isn't going to war.

This is was a failed Wag The Dog scenario where Trump thought he could distract away from Impeachment and it didn't work.

When even Israel doesn't have US's back when it comes to Iran after Bibi spent years fearmongoring about Iran using cartoon charts. After all that noise, Israel doesn't want anything to do with the US's fuckery in this.... this right here proves that Trump admin fucked up and utterly isolated and alone with nobody to help them out

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

This is was a failed Wag The Dog scenario where Trump thought he could distract away from Impeachment and it didn't work.

When even Israel doesn't have US's back when it comes to Iran after Bibi spent years fearmongoring about Iran using cartoon charts. After all that noise, Israel doesn't want anything to do with the US's fuckery in this.... this right here proves that Trump admin fucked up and utterly isolated and alone with nobody to help them out
To think this Genie is permanently back in the bottle seems quite risky to me in regards to us talking about Donald "which way is the wind blowing" Trump.

To quote myself from this morning at the bottom of the last page

I understand people think this the threat is averted after Trump didn't militarily retaliate against Iran's retaliation...
But you all must realize we are talking about Trump he can and will change his mind again at the drop of a hat!

It's still important that we show congress, that we will not stand for war!
Also show support for the war powers resolution!

The time of unilateral war declarations and actions by the executive should have come to an end a long time ago (if ever allowed). It's way past time.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Keep in mind most people here probably have full time jobs. So you're basically asking a bunch of people to take off work or leave early to go to a protest, which is a fast track to getting fired.

This is a constant excuse, and yet, just today I'm seeing reports of new protests in France, another first world country which manages to balance work and democracy. That's without mentioning all the other countries that do both.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is a constant excuse, and yet, just today I'm seeing reports of new protests in France, another first world country which manages to balance work and democracy. That's without mentioning all the other countries that do both.
Unfortunately the US doesn't have that balance, actively discourages that balance. Protest versus be fired or lose money that you need for bills/medicine/food.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Poll options are really really dumb. People have jobs that prevent them from just up and doing shit like this...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

France is far denser with better public transportation and I imagine has better worker protections. I'm sure there are plenty of people there who cannot protest as easily.

If I want to go to the closest protest to me I have to drive to another city hours away. I probably wouldn't make it before it ended.

Even then, protests are just one form of activism. Just because someone can't or won't protest doesn't mean they don't care.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
To think this Genie is permanently back in the bottle seems quite risky to me in regards to us talking about Donald "which way is the wind blowing" Trump.

To quote myself from this morning at the bottom of the last page

I understand people think this the threat is averted after Trump didn't militarily retaliate against Iran's retaliation...
But you all must realize we are talking about Trump he can and will change his mind again at the drop of a hat!

It's still important that we show congress, that we will not stand for war!
Also show support for the war powers resolution!

The time of unilateral war declarations and actions by the executive should have come to an end a long time ago (if ever allowed). It's way past time.
i'm not American, I'm not in the US.
It's like -11 Celsius outside

i

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The thing about those failed provocations is that they can fail 20 times and not get us peace, but "succeed" once and get us to war.
America fucked with Iraq for years before the Iraq war trying to get to a response that would give the US excuse to regime change it. Eventually something unrelated happened but fuck it, we already had bases there and we made nice invasion plans, plus the US media already persuaded everyone that they're Evil Country that needs to be bombed for their own good.

I think America needs to get the fuck out of the middle east, as long as we have troops we are forever one really bad attack from going to war, because if one of those rockets had killed 50 American soldiers we would've been at war right now. We are gambling the lives of millions of Iranians with that shit.
I plan to stand on an overpass today for that, if I can get even 1 person stuck in traffic to think about this for even a minute, I think it was worth my time. By my time is relatively cheap.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Or the protests were a few days later? No need to be so snarky. Your candour and poll are at odds with your message.
Just yesterday things looked really urgent, so why would we not have a short notice protest?
My candor and snark are a response and coping mechanism to the wide spread apathy.

Regarding the poll, I am convinced polls drive traffic, and if people come in here just to complain about it, that is fine by me. They are bumping the thread giving the actual protest more eyes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Just yesterday things looked really urgent, so why would we not have a short notice protest?
My candor and snark are a response and coping mechanism to the wide spread apathy.

Regarding the poll, I am convinced polls drive traffic, and if people come in here just to complain about it, that is fine by me. They are bumping the thread giving the actual protest more eyes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get it. Yesterday was a mess of fud and misinformation. There's that awful first mentality that curses the spread of news in the modern era. I also think that's a good reason to hold back (a matter of days) any organised gatherings (of the scale we expect from the US) and just let things settle as far as information goes. Caveats galore obviously but America doesn't have a good track record very recently as far as reacting to events that shake the rest of the world but cause ripples at home.
Forget the candour shit, mine gets me in trouble here lol
As for the poll, I'm sure I'm not alone in entering the thread interested in what it would contain, and the results would be. You state how serious the issue is yet start with some Facebook crap that I can't be the only one fed up with (and why the fuck am I compelled to finish this statement off with No I'm not?!?!)

Anyway the good luck at short notice was genuine and I hope it goes well.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'd say there where a good 150+ people at the protest in downtown Detroit outside the Federal Building.
XDqJjNJm.png