• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Not sure if you guys are aware but during their Yakuza 0 stream last night (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205843648) Scott and Sam from SEGA said that there won't be any Yakuza-related announcement during PSX next week. They also said that 2018 will be a "great year" for Yakuza.
You can hear it about 45 minutes in.

Boo..
lAwUT9i.gif

In case you don't know, Sam Mullen and Scott Strichart are Localization producers for the Yakuza series.

Not surprised personally, given that Sony seems to be dialing back the sheer spectacle and size of PSX. Plus there's also the issue of the new Fist of the North Star game, Hokuto ga Gotoku, to take into account. So I'd imagine they'd want to announce the localization for Kiwami 2 and that game at once.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
But it is supposed to be a PSX tradition! :(

Meanwhile, I still need to get started on Yakuza 0 lol. It'll happen this month!

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping to get started on 0 next week, never played a Yakuza game before.

Would Kiwami be the logical next step, or? What's the best way to catch up, assuming I love 0?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the thread luce.

In case people didn't know, having a new Yakuza announcement has been a PSX tradition since the inception of the event.

PSX 2014 - Yakuza 5 localization
PSX 2015 - Yakuza 0 localization
PSX 2016 - Yakuza 6 & Yakuza Kiwami localization

The fact that we are breaking that tradition when there are two new Yakuza games coming out soon (FotNS and Kiwami 2) and it looks like Sega is ready to localize them (the "great year" comment), should show you how much Sony is down scaling PSX.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yakuza series doesn't need proper announcements, imo.

Yakuza deserves faster english translation and more marketing. Without marketing, every game is deemed to fail.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I can live with one Yakuza game a year. Next week I can see a lot of discussions about Sony hoodwinking the fans who bought tickets for PSX assuming it would be of the same scale.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's all good. I still have to finish up Yakuza 5, 0, and Kiwami.

It's awesome that we went from no Yakuza presence in the West to constant localization announcements.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i'm fine with this since you know yakuza 6 is only months away

its crazy how before angry joe's review of yakuza 0 the series was failing, and now its becoming more and more popular, i know that's how i became interested

makes sense for companies to really go after youtubers

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

In case people didn't know, having a new Yakuza announcement has been a PSX tradition since the inception of the event.

The fact that we are breaking that tradition when there are two new Yakuza games coming out soon (FotNS and Kiwami 2) and it looks like Sega is ready to localize them (the "great year" comment), should show you how much Sony is down scaling PSX.

I my memory serves me right, I believe that Sam mentionned Sony changing the format of PSX before saying that there won't be any announcement next week. So the two things are probably linked.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we just get a damn physical English release of 5?

We're getting 6 in January, probably Kiwami 2 in late Q3/Q4.

I'd also really like to see an announcement for localising Kenzan/Ishin.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
NOOOOOoOOoOoOoo!

tumblr_owy6mshBjl1qe3fnko1_500.gif

But I understand with Sony scaling PSX down and all. Can't wait to eventually play Kiwami 2!

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, Y6 got announced last year and besides Kiwami 2 there isn't that much to talk about. Plus they said no Kiwami 2 but did they also say no Fist of the North Star? If so...yikes. I'm fully willing to voice my displeasure here if so, because Yakuza isn't a huge property by any means. You can't even announce that? Fuck is the point of the show, then?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
But I need Kiwami 2 Sega and I need it soon :(

To be fair, Y6 got announced last year and besides Kiwami 2 there isn't that much to talk about. Plus they said no Kiwami 2 but did they also say no Fist of the North Star? If so...yikes. I'm fully willing to voice my displeasure here if so, because Yakuza isn't a huge property by any means. You can't even announce that? Fuck is the point of the show, then?
You're all building this based on the assumption Sega offered Sony to have the localization news and Sony refused it because they wanna show it at E3?

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want them to flood the market with these games. I liked that they were novel.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While disappointing, i'm kinda okay with this. We got 2 games this year and 6 early '18, they dont need to announce more at PSX. 6 should keep me busy for a while.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FOTNS is made by the Yakuza team, but it's obviously not a Yakuza game, so it's very much likely that it was not included in the statement being made here. At the very least, to generally and randomly assume that it is, is a random assumption.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I want to complain, but 2017 has been a good year for me related to Yakuza games. I don't want to get greedy

I still wish we could get some release dates tho :D

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I my memory serves me right, I believe that Sam mentionned Sony changing the format of PSX before saying that there won't be any announcement next week. So the two things are probably linked.
That's sad to hear. I loved their PSX conferences and a lot of those love came from games like Yakuza, Ys, Danganronpa, etc getting some spotlight in a big conference :(

or they want give Yakuza more attention at E3. Probably not, but let the dream come true!
They wanna scale up their E3 conference. I doubt they see Yakuza as that big of a brand...

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm betting they're referring to 6 and Kiwami 2 releasing but part of me also wants it to be PS4 ports of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5. Maybe even Ishin.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sure. I don't mind. I feel like a Yakuza localization for what feels like every half year was starting to give the franchise some fatigue.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Here I was hoping to get a western release date for Kiwami 2 and news on other Yakuza games :(

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
This likely soft confirms Kiwami 2 coming out and yeah maybe Yakuza 3 - 5 4k ports or something

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting it in few weeks so it doesn't really matter :p
On the one hand its a crying shame that we won't get an announcement for it next week for the many people that won't import. Bu on the other hand I'm doing the exact same thing. Got my copies of Kiwami 2 and FOTNS pre ordered for day 1!

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
FOTNS is made by the Yakuza team, but it's obviously not a Yakuza game, so it's very much likely that it was not included in the statement being made here. At the very least, to generally and randomly assume that it is, is a random assumption.
FotNS is a Yakuza game tho.

The branding is weird in west, but in Japan it's very obvious that the FotNS game is part of the Ga Gotoku franchise.

Yakuza = Ryu Ga Gotoku
FotNS = Hokuto Ga Gotoku

They even use the same logo style.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Another sign PSX is going to be disappointing as hell. Hopefully we get the Kiwami 2 announcement sooner rather than later even if Sony's being lame this year.