• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Ashley Watson was ecstatic, earlier this year, when she got the job to be Neil deGrasse Tyson's driver. She wanted to be a Hollywood producer, and thought this gig with his hit TV show, Cosmos — even if she was just shuttling him to and from the set — could help her make useful industry connections.

So when a friend sent her an article from a fringe website claiming that the famous astrophysicist had drugged and raped a woman in the 1980s, Watson, then 28, didn't think much of it.
On Thursday, Watson's allegations were made public on a blog called Patheos, which had previously published Amet's claims, twice. The new story also described a third woman, Katelyn Allers, an astronomy and physics professor at Bucknell University, who said Tyson had grabbed her and reached down the front of her dress to look at her tattoo at a scientific meeting in 2009.
Now a fourth woman has told BuzzFeed News her experience of sexual harassment from Tyson. In January 2010, she recalled, she joined her then-boyfriend at a holiday party for employees of the American Museum of Natural History. Tyson, its most famous employee, drunkenly approached her, she said, making sexual jokes and propositioning her to join him alone in his office. In a 2014 email shared with BuzzFeed News, she described the incident to her own employer in order to shoot down a proposed collaboration with Tyson.
.Over the course of nearly three years, BuzzFeed News has spoken with more than 30 people for this story, including the alleged victims and their families, Cosmos crew members, and graduate students and professors who were at UT Austin 30 years ago. Dozens more from that time did not reply to requests for interviews.
But for Watson and Allers, the tragedy was the loss of a different black scientist: Amet.

For years, Amet had been trying to make the world listen to her account of a powerful man who had once assaulted her and derailed her life. Mainstream publications, including BuzzFeed News, were unable to adequately corroborate the events from so long ago, and did not publish her allegations. And internet commenters assailed her character and New Age lifestyle. Her claims may have stayed buried forever, if not for the women who saw in Amet's story a shadow of their own.

There is much more in the full article.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dudes in the other thread are defending NDT's wine and cheese story with his assistant as simply trying to "hook up", while conveniently ignoring the part where NDT denies pursing that kind of relationship. The denial of rejected advances and painting women as misreading obvious inappropriate behaviour is something the #metoo movement has been trying to address.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Dudes in the other thread are defending NDT's wine and cheese story with his assistant as simply trying to "hook up", while conveniently ignoring the part where NDT denies pursing that kind of relationship. The denial of rejected advances and painting women as misreading obvious inappropriate behaviour is something the #metoo movement has been trying to address.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup. A lot of " He's just socially awkward doesn't seem nefarious to me ! You all just want blood!"
So gross

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading the lady's site in the other thread. Her story is sad, and you can feel it from her words. A lot of people were dismissing her because of her blog, but it came off to me as a coping mechanism because her life was ruined. If her story is true (I find it hard to believe it's not, but there's always a chance), glad to see she's finally being heard

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sat out the first round of this but just popped over to his... explanation, I guess?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/

I just don't get why this is so hard for people. Why's he gotta have a whole-ass preamble about "due process" and then faux-slyly try and paint the one lady as loon? Own the groping with an apology, acknowledge the emotional intimacy of the assistant relationship and acknowledge the weird vibes, deny the drugging story without insinuation.

Just do that and nothing else. Why people try and boohoo about media persecution and lecture about how criminal prosecutions work I just do not understand.

Oct 25, 2017
I sat out the first round of this but just popped over to his... explanation, I guess?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/

I just don't get why this is so hard for people. Why's he gotta have a whole-ass preamble about "due process" and then faux-slyly try and paint the one lady as loon? Own the groping with an apology, acknowledge the emotional intimacy of the assistant relationship and acknowledge the weird vibes, deny the drugging story without insinuation.

Just do that and nothing else. Why people try and boohoo about media persecution and lecture about how criminal prosecutions work I just do not understand.

Projection and gaslighting. It's a thing people in position of power will do.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Believe women. Even when it sucks because two accused is/was a hero.

It's easy to show up when it's Trump or someone you hate. Gotta show up when it's someone you looked up to also.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So many dudes in the skeptical movement are turning out to be creeps or outright abusers. It's sad to see some of my champions fall, and I hope every woman (or man, in some cases) wronged gets justice.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping the women get justice.

When did the original allegations break? Don't think I saw any coverage on the major news sites

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Believe women. Even when it sucks because two accused is/was a hero.

It's easy to show up when it's Trump or someone you hate. Gotta show up when it's someone you looked up to also.
You should look at the facts presented so that the accused person doesn't get their life ruined by false rape allegations (which by themselves often results in losing job/suspension from university). It's sad since they actually undermine cases of actual victims.

In this case though; Neil, you're fucked.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope he's taken to court, though I doubt there'd be much consequence. Maybe this will ruin whatever he has left in his life.

Believe women.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not the most pressing point to this topic, but are there any decent science communicators left, maybe Brian Cox? He's seemed cool so far...
landscape-1506089843-giphy-57.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nobody believed her? I sure as hell did, his frightening and creepy Facebook statement sounded more like an admittance than an apology.