• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I know that it's hard for women (and sometimes men) to come forward, but it is dangerous to believe people without proof. I didn't, and don't, believe the first woman. That story frankly just doesn't make any sense to me. As for the others..I dunno. I think his remark to his driver was incredibly stupid, even his own version. And his lame attempt at whitewashing that really makes me wonder.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know that it's hard for women (and sometimes men) to come forward, but it is dangerous to believe people without proof. I didn't, and don't, believe the first woman. That story frankly just doesn't make any sense to me. As for the others..I dunno. I think his remark to his driver was incredibly stupid, even his own version. And his lame attempt at whitewashing that really makes me wonder.
I think it's dangerous to not take accusations of sexual misconduct at face value. And seeing as how statistically victims extremely rarely lie about this, it's better to side with the victims.

Abraxas

Feb 16, 2018
Dallas
landscape-1506089843-giphy-57.gif
Not sure which direction this is directed at, but fuck NDT and anyone who behaves in that way... I'm just hoping there's someone there that doesn't...

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I think it's dangerous to not take accusations of sexual misconduct at face value. And seeing as how statistically victims extremely rarely lie about this, it's better to side with the victims.

I don't disagree. To clarify, a lot of the reason I don't believe the first woman is that her story is much more extreme than the others. It doesn't match up at all, in terms of what he did and her reasons to keep quiet. He wasn't more credible at the time than she was.

But the other three accusers, as I noted above, are far more damning. :/

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Email receipts from years before this was a story? Well that's gonna be that then.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
should've seen the replies in the previous topic. sad shit. We're even still seeing it in here! fucking infuriating how people will defend people like this and try to downplay or doubt victims. People doing the same thing with Ronaldo too.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
After a while, it seems intentions vs. impressions mean very little if people are getting a consistent impression regardless of one's intentions. Even if you want to cast doubt on these and say he's "awkward", the fact there's a pattern of this should at least mean he should be held accountable, or at least do something as amends to the arrival of these claims.

Should Cosmos have a new host? I nominate Carolyn Porco.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's my attempt at an NDT style tweet: Don't ever admire or aspire to be like anyone because they can and will turn out to be a much more horrible person than you thought they could be

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I knew there was something wrong with him when he publicly criticized the film Titanic because of some bullshit astronomy error that no other human being would even care about or notice.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's continually sickening that we need half a dozen women to be abused before a man can be "properly" tried in the public eye.

Believe women. Always. Better to be wrong than to be a douche.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ahahahaha what

gotta admit I'm curious

He told Cameron that the night sky in Titanic is wrong (the north Atlantic in April obviously has a very specific star pattern), Cameron then got a hold of him for the rerelease to get the accurate sky

NDT says he wouldn't mind as much if it weren't for the fact that Cameron obviously put tons of effort in getting all the little details correct (recreating the china, furniture, and locations, casting actors who resembled the real passengers, etc)

The canopy of the event that draped the passengers until dawn is arguably not an insignificant detail

Last edited:

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
It's continually sickening that we need half a dozen women to be abused before a man can be "properly" tried in the public eye.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, what you're saying is essentially, "Better to (possibly) wrongfully convict someone than to be sexist." And this is exactly the mindset I'm worried about when threads like this come up.

I would say instead that we should always take these claims seriously, while looking objectively at both parties' versions of events.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Article mentions that people tried to dismiss the allegations as #MeToo gone too far. I do recall reading at least one comment stating the same in the previous thread as well as all sorts of downplaying of his actions or the gravity of the incidents in the allegations.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Inflammatory false equivalences in a sensitive thread, a history of similar infractions

ALWAYS!!!!!!!

emmett-till-02.jpg

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm interpreting this correctly, what you're saying is essentially, "Better to (possibly) wrongfully convict someone than to be sexist." And this is exactly the mindset I'm worried about when threads like this come up.

I would say instead that we should always take these claims seriously, while looking objectively at both parties' versions of events.

The problem is that we get so worried about the conviction that we don't even investigate, and we need 5 or 6 or more women calling foul before it's finally considered serious enough for investigation or punishment.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
What.

Yes there are unfortunately incidents where people have lied about being rape victims, but those are statistically very small. And "believe women" is very simple: take their allegations seriously and not dismiss them.

I mean, this incident is a perfect example of that. Look at the date the rape allegations were first made and how everybody said she was a nutter and shouldn't be believed just because she's into New Age spiritualism.

Get the fuck out of here with contrarian shit.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the first time I am hearing about this. It always stings a bit more when someone you hold in high regards commits such atrocious acts. I hope it not to be true but it looks like it is. I hope the women got the help they needed and are ok.

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
What.

Yes there are unfortunately incidents where people have lied about being rape victims, but those are statistically very small. And "believe women" is very simple: take their allegations seriously and not dismiss them.

I mean, this incident is a perfect example of that. Look at the date the rape allegations were first made and how everybody said she was a nutter and shouldn't be believed just because she's into New Age spiritualism.

Get the fuck out of here with contrarian shit.

Everybody? Have any proof to support this?

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the Fox/National Geographic investigation doesn't find any "legal evidence" against Tyson, Tyson putting out that Facebook response only for another Woman to come out is too much from a business/PR standpoint. They should just cut him loose now.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that we get so worried about the conviction that we don't even investigate, and we need 5 or 6 or more women calling foul before it's finally considered serious enough for investigation or punishment.
Thank you. And getting fired for inappropriate behavior towards people directly involved in your professional life is a not fucking court case. Why do people go to that immediately? And the rape allegations actually can't be heard in court because Texas has a statute of limitations of 10 years. So what are these people talking about?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Have to admit, I was hoping from his response it was just a misunderstanding of some sort (even though that "Indian handshake" sounded sketchy as Hell). I'm an optimist to a fault and I just don't like to jump on board without knowing 100%. Definitely no room for doubt now.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, this is incredibly disappointing in a whole lot of different ways. I sincerely hope the generation coming up now will do better than this when they find themselves in positions of power.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
The first incident from the 80s is a he said/she said, hard to know who is telling the truth there, the second incident with the tattoo I can buy his explanation, the third incident with his assistant was absolutely sexual harassment. This new fourth incident though, unless she was an employee of the museum also and assuming he didn't actually touch her, I would not call that sexual harassment even though it would still be at the very least shitty behavior. From reading the OP it seems like she was the girlfriend of an employee? Now if he touched her or she is an employee then that would be sexual harassment/assault.

i still think from the incident with his assistant, he should step down/be fired from the museum and his tv shows.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
should've seen the replies in the previous topic. sad shit. We're even still seeing it in here! fucking infuriating how people will defend people like this and try to downplay or doubt victims. People doing the same thing with Ronaldo too.

There are people defending him in the comments on Facebook.

A woman was on there calling him a gentleman and shit and even posted a photo of the both of them together.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I refrained from posting this in the first thread because that one grew so large I couldn't be sure the video hadn't been brought up and discussed already, but I want to include it here so people know what "overenthusiastic nerd who misreads cues and disrespects personal boundaries" looks like.

Because we can do more than believe women that Neil deGrasse Tyson feels entitled to their bodies. We can believe our own eyes as we see him act like he is entitled to a woman's body in a Star Talk panel from six years ago.

Watch from the 21:44 mark if the timestamp doesn't work:

I've rarely seen socially awkward nerds act with such casual confidence.

Oct 25, 2017

Ima scream this again for the people in the back:

Not every person is looking for a conviction

In the HuffPo interview the woman is quoted as saying such. Many women understand that certain things are not unlawful but speak up to help protect other women and to hopefully have more women come forward.

And once again, there are FAR less false allegations then there are actual convictions. In fact there are often cases that end up not guilty because they cannot prove the assault simply because it's almost always he said she said. This does not in anyway show the accused is innocent. In some cases the accuser is having too many traumatic moments to accurately retell. We literally watched this very thing unfold on TV in front of a council of US representatives with Ford and Kavanugh and guess what, Fords life is a living hell while Kavanaugh is living high. Brock turner was literally caught with his pants down and still got a slap on the wrist. People continue to defend against things that aren't outright rape

Until we can actually fix the problem of males assumption of what's ok we HAVE to believe women. Because what happens is exactly the shit you see NDT doing where they attempt to gaslight the woman by saying things that amount to "I was just being playful no intentions".

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Every time a dude comes into a sexual harassment thread hand-wringing about false accusations he owes me a billion dollars. Millions of women are victims of sexual violence every fuckin day but nooo let's worry about 3 men who will totally have their lives and careers ruined by a false allegation! We all know one allegation is all it takes after all. Just look at Brett Kavanaugh........... oh wait

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I don't disagree. To clarify, a lot of the reason I don't believe the first woman is that her story is much more extreme than the others. It doesn't match up at all, in terms of what he did and her reasons to keep quiet. He wasn't more credible at the time than she was.

Are you casting doubt on her story because she didn't speak up at the time?

You do realize that rape is a very traumatic experience that doesn't get reported a lot of the time regardless of the power balance between the two or who is more credible than the other?

I swear these NDT threads on here are throwing me for a loop. The amount of people rushing in to defend Tyson or cast doubt on this woman.

You weren't there, neither was I. I don't understand why people always rush out to doubt a woman's story when they don't know what happened.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

ehh, he may not have been the celeb he is now, but it was during a time where sexual assault/rape was sadly less taken seriously with all the burden put on the accuser. The era of flair jeans and mutton chops wasn't an enlightened one, lol. If true, I can understand why she didn't come forward

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I refrained from posting this in the first thread because that one grew so large I couldn't be sure the video hadn't been brought up and discussed already, but I want to include it here so people know what "overenthusiastic nerd who misreads cues and disrespects personal boundaries" looks like.

Because we can do more than believe women that Neil deGrasse Tyson feels entitled to their bodies. We can believe our own eyes as we see him act like he is entitled to a woman's body in a Star Talk panel from six years ago.

Watch from the 21:44 mark if the timestamp doesn't work:

I've rarely seen socially awkward nerds act with such casual confidence.

Eeesh, dunno the situation between NDT and the woman on the panel but I hope on some level they were intimate cause I don't even get that forcefully hand-y with my goddamn fiance, lol.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Amet's story is so tragic:
  • Struggled in grad school
  • Was discriminated against
  • Was raped by one of the few people she felt close to
  • Left and got lost in new age shit
  • The man who raped her became rich and famous
  • People don't believe her
Just imagine if this asshole had been a decent person and helped her rather than ruin her life. That power was fully in his hands.

Last edited: