• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit at the disgusting people in this thread saying they outright don't believe that a woman was raped.

Go back to the other site.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amet's story is so tragic:
  • Struggled in grad school
  • Was discriminated against
  • Was raped by one of the few people she felt close to
  • Left and got lost in new age shit
  • The man who raped her became rich and famous
  • People don't believe her
Just imagine if this asshole had been a decent person and helped her rather than ruin her life. That power was fully in his hands.
Yeah, it's what angers me, as well.

It's bad enough that a dude that I really admired is being a douche, but he had an opportunity to really be a positive force in someone's life, and decided to be a predatory asshole. And she gets to suffer in silence, watching chucklefucks like me fawn over his ass.

Fuck Neil deGrass Tyson. I'm running out of heroes, here.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refrained from posting this in the first thread because that one grew so large I couldn't be sure the video hadn't been brought up and discussed already, but I want to include it here so people know what "overenthusiastic nerd who misreads cues and disrespects personal boundaries" looks like.

Because we can do more than believe women that Neil deGrasse Tyson feels entitled to their bodies. We can believe our own eyes as we see him act like he is entitled to a woman's body in a Star Talk panel from six years ago.

Watch from the 21:44 mark if the timestamp doesn't work:

I've rarely seen socially awkward nerds act with such casual confidence.

Holy fucking shit that video

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I know he's mostly just a Mechanical Engineer, but if people are worried about Season 2 of Cosmos, bring in Bill Nye.

On topic, if all of this is true (which is seeming exceedingly likely) it is pretty damn horrifying for those impacted. It is probably also frustrating for the science community to lose (rightfully) a popular spokesperson and sad for those who looked up to them. Those latter two don't really compare to the former, though.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
On the car drive home the next day, Watson said, he told her she was "too distracting" to ever make it as a producer.
I know it's far down the list of things he's accused of, but what a shitty thing to say to someone. Says a lot about his scumbag opinion of women.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refrained from posting this in the first thread because that one grew so large I couldn't be sure the video hadn't been brought up and discussed already, but I want to include it here so people know what "overenthusiastic nerd who misreads cues and disrespects personal boundaries" looks like.

Because we can do more than believe women that Neil deGrasse Tyson feels entitled to their bodies. We can believe our own eyes as we see him act like he is entitled to a woman's body in a Star Talk panel from six years ago.

Jesus Christ. I hope this story blows up because this man is a creep.
Disgusting.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Seth Mcfarlane will just host it himself at this point.

Do we want the guy who made a career out of shows filled with racist, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic humor to be the face of cosmos?

Or do people forgive him for that because he makes fun of conservatives and is pro weed?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty creepy.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree. To clarify, a lot of the reason I don't believe the first woman is that her story is much more extreme than the others. It doesn't match up at all, in terms of what he did and her reasons to keep quiet. He wasn't more credible at the time than she was.

But the other three accusers, as I noted above, are far more damning. :/
this post shows complete ignorance of how victims of sexual abuse feel. myself, some of my female friends, and women in my family have faced abuse from random nobodies, and we still felt pressured not to say anything.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land

5CMY.gif

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018

The creepiest part is how he dries his hands on his jeans right beforehand in anticipation for his move. There was nothing spontaneous about that.

Sheesh.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
And that took place after elevatorgate, so it's not like "we skeptical/scientific communicator folks need to be more thoughtful about how we approach and deal with women" can be explained away with "but they're awkward nerds who don't know how womenbrains work, don't hate" not that it should have ever been a valid excuse in the first place.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Do we want the guy who made a career out of shows filled with racist, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic humor to be the face of cosmos?

Or do people forgive him for that because he makes fun of conservatives and is pro weed?

He was behind the new version with Tyson which is what I was referring to.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
He was behind the new version with Tyson which is what I was referring to.

I know, but he wasn't the face of the show, it was Tyson who at the time had a clean image, and i think to a degree McFarlane knows a show like Cosmos needs a clean host and face that is not known as "the guy who did family guy", and in general not having an actual bonafide scientist as the host would hurt the show, but i also think that having specifically McFarlane host it would hurt the show.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem with people like Neil is that they're smart enough not to entrap themselves. The only way that we found out about this was the fact that someone had the gall to talk about their experiences, something that is hard to do in its own. Neil isn't some 'harmless nerd' or whatever he portrays himself as, and that should have been played away ever since he took on so much fame. That made it so he could get away with these things without people batting an eye. He managed to wash his image with the awkward nerd stereotype, which, for some reason, people openly embrace it, allowing for certain behaviors to be passed on because they feel they just can't help it.

Even with that StarTalk video, he showed how he feels about women's bodies based on body language and action in its own, and it seems like the people on StarTalk were just in on it, as if they knew about his behavior before, and they got nervous when the audience started to question it.

Either way, I think it's best to not put these types on a pedestal. Why? Because it allows for them to get away with things they would likely not get away with if they were considered a regular person. I get that he's black (I'm black and I idolized him for a brief moment when Cosmos II came out Netflix), but we really need to analyze why we give people so much stake.

This all reminds me of Master of None's Chef Jeff scene he got accused of sexual harassment. I think Neil is going to try and sweep this under the rug.

I think it's worthwhile just looking at the StarTalk video and the body language in it bit by bit. He grabs her by her arm/hand and pulls her up, pulls up her shirt, starts touching her, pulls her shirt down for her and then he grabs her arm and takes her back to her seat, he only stops doing it when she turns around and looks at him.

037285e30b9003f396c62ff2fd8d18ef.png

Seriously fucked up. The people defending this man are delusional fools.

Hold him accountable for everything he does.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
That's too bad. The tattoo story and the drunken sexual jokes don't sound me like the kind of "material" that should sink his career though. It makes him look like an asshole sure, but how far should the consequences go for something of that level? Certainly his public persona is done for, as somebody who does this is not fit to be a role model.

If the assault allegations that ended in the career derailment are true though, this is a wrap for him.

It's a shame though, he presented himself as the kind of voice that really could inspire young scientists and in the end he is just another cautionary tale.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You guys should look at the other thread of people defending this guy. I remember when the first sexual misconduct allegations surfaced a while ago, but we have several women coming forward.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That's too bad. The tattoo story and the drunken sexual jokes don't sound me like the kind of "material" that should sink his career though. It makes him look like an asshole sure, but how far should the consequences go for something of that level? Certainly his public persona is done for, as somebody who does this is not fit to be a role model.

So what you're saying is because his behavior isn't that egregious he should be allowed to continue his work of engagement/communication of science to the public, but because of his egregious behavior he shouldn't take on any work that involves him engaging with or attempting to educate the public?!?

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

What the hell is this? Why I have I never heard about this? That is gross as hell. How come they shrugged that off?!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
So what you're saying is because his behavior isn't that egregious he should be allowed to continue his work of engagement/communication of science to the public, but because of his egregious behavior he shouldn't take on any work that involves him engaging with or attempting to educate the public?!?

Well I just saw the video and the way he grabbed and pushed and lifted the shirt in front of an audience was far more aggravating than what I had in my mind. If he has the gal to do that on stage, I can only wonder how bad it can get in more private settings.

Regarding what you said to what I said, I was just saying he could still develop research or perform duties not directly related to public exposure.

Video is really bad though, we might see a lot more women coming forward

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oof, that's terrible.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Thank you for posting this. It's pretty damning, I must say. Completely inappropriate and unacceptable behavior.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Wow, I used to watch his space related video's and really respected him. If this is true, Fuck him.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
HIs "ancient native american handshake" story was so weird, it made me wonder if he actually did something else, then did research to find something similar he could play it off as, lol.
The problem with people like Neil is that they're smart enough not to entrap themselves. The only way that we found out about this was the fact that someone had the gall to talk about their experiences, something that is hard to do in its own. Neil isn't some 'harmless nerd' or whatever he portrays himself as, and that should have been played away ever since he took on so much fame. That made it so he could get away with these things without people batting an eye. He managed to wash his image with the awkward nerd stereotype, which, for some reason, people openly embrace it, allowing for certain behaviors to be passed on because they feel they just can't help it.

Even with that StarTalk video, he showed how he feels about women's bodies based on body language and action in its own, and it seems like the people on StarTalk were just in on it, as if they knew about his behavior before, and they got nervous when the audience started to question it.

Either way, I think it's best to not put these types on a pedestal. Why? Because it allows for them to get away with things they would likely not get away with if they were considered a regular person. I get that he's black (I'm black and I idolized him for a brief moment when Cosmos II came out Netflix), but we really need to analyze why we give people so much stake.

This all reminds me of Master of None's Chef Jeff scene he got accused of sexual harassment. I think Neil is going to try and sweep this under the rug.

I think it's worthwhile just looking at the StarTalk video and the body language in it bit by bit. He grabs her by her arm/hand and pulls her up, pulls up her shirt, starts touching her, pulls her shirt down for her and then he grabs her arm and takes her back t o her seat, he only stops doing it when she turns around and looks at him.

037285e30b9003f396c62ff2fd8d18ef.png

Seriously fucked up. The people defending this man are delusional fools.

Hold him accountable for everything he does.
That was so awkward. I'm trying to think of a relationship (much less a professional one) between a man and woman where this kind of behavior wouldn't be extremely awkward at best.

Of course, you barely have to scroll down in the comments for someone to call him "such a pimp" for the way he's man handling her.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuuuuuuuuuck at that video. Holy shit that is uncomfortable and infuriating to watch. What is he there, like 50 something? I can't believe I ever looked up to him. What a lack of professionalism, dignity, respect. He dragged her around like a puppet instead of asking her to show her tattoo.