• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
When this fella became Internet famous I watched a few of his interviews and just got bored with the repeated answers (ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance, anyone?) and shut him out, as I wasn't really feeling it.

But holy shit at that video. He is treating her like a piece of meat.

Hopefully, this will stop people like Colbert from fellating him, at the very least. And the criminal justice system can have a good long look at that rape accusation.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well was skeptical of the first accusation just due to the site being questionable. But damn believe women.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
all tv personality neil degrasse tyson does is say profound sounding nonsense. take this whopper from his recently uploaded colbert interview

"if you have a big enough sample size, rare things become common" like wtf kind of scientist says that

Yeah that's terrible.

He also recently went to Bill Maher show to say the army is great and I was shocked.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Is...is Bill Nye still cool?

Nobody likes working with him much but I have never heard anything about him being a creep or sexually assaulting anyone. Talk like that about NdT has been circulating for years.

Who's next, Michio Kaku? Please no.

Kaku does enough damage to his own reputation every time he goes on one of those idiotic shows about futurist doomsaying or whatever. Dude will say anything you want him to as long as he gets paid. But as far as this subject goes, I think he's okay.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I just saw the video and the way he grabbed and pushed and lifted the shirt in front of an audience was far more aggravating than what I had in my mind. If he has the gal to do that on stage, I can only wonder how bad it can get in more private settings.

Regarding what you said to what I said, I was just saying he could still develop research or perform duties not directly related to public exposure.

Video is really bad though, we might see a lot more women coming forward

If you worked in an office and acted in that way you could very well end up terminated due to making the office staff feel uncomfortable or threatened.

This is literally workplace harassment 101 type shit.

CrispyBacon

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Trolling in a sensitive thread, Account in junior phase
Fake news. Show me the tax returns.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only did you let the people who looked up to you down, NDT, you let down the person you looked up to. Carl Sagan is probably rolling in his grave.

Fuck this is really crushing.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not "rushing out" to do anything of the sort. Quite the opposite, in fact; I am against rushing to any conclusion. For my part, I examined Amet's story alongside those of the three women who spoke out afterwards and find theirs significantly more credible. It's fine to do the same and reach a different conclusion. The point I'm trying to make is that a blanket "believe every woman, every time" stance is incredibly naive. We should spend at least some time actually thinking.
What about her story do you find incredible and not worthy of further scrutiny?

Little confused by the title. Didn't Fox and NatGeo say they were opening an investigation after the last accusation? That sounds like people believed them then. Considering how recent that work related incident was and how her story basically says she told people she left due to his behavior, I assumed the truth would come out pretty quick. Always good to have more people speaking up though.
Did you read the OP before posting? The first allegations were made four years ago. Not last week. Over 220 weeks ago.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
"if you have a big enough sample size, rare things become common" like wtf kind of scientist says that

I mean. I don't mean to put myself in the position of covering his ass, but that's a fundamental notion to understand the scale and eventfulness of cosmic events, especially as they relate to the scale of our own context. Same thing as to say that nothing disappears, it's also something that seems basic but is still a fundamental truth about how to understand things at our scale.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
all tv personality neil degrasse tyson does is say profound sounding nonsense. take this whopper from his recently uploaded colbert interview

Makes sense to me who's not a scientist. Is a giant asteroid going to hit earth in my lifetime, almost certainly not but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time in a galactic context.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean. I don't mean to put myself in the position of covering his ass, but that's a fundamental notion to understand the scale and eventfulness of cosmic events, especially as they relate to the scale of our own context. Same thing as to say that nothing disappears, it's also something that seems basic but is still a fundamental truth about how to understand things at our scale.

Yeah, I take no issue with that statement. It's basically a rephrasing of this famous Isaac Asimov quote:

People are entirely too disbelieving of coincidence. They are far too ready to dismiss it and to build arcane structures of extremely rickety substance in order to avoid it. I, on the other hand, see coincidence everywhere as an inevitable consequence of the laws of probability, according to which having no unusual coincidence is far more unusual than any coincidence could possibly be.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I still don't know what NDT did that got him such a spotlight (not talking about sexual assault allegations)
Me too. Can some give me a proper list? It's very chaotic here.

What I don't get is, what happens in the mind of those who do this kind of stuff? The have Robinie that is is wrong to to something to another person that don't wants this to happen to them.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what NDT did that got him such a spotlight (not talking about sexual assault allegations)

I don't have any specific examples besides this one but he definitely got his start with the whole Pluto isn't a planet thing iirc and he took that spotlight to become a "pr person/hype person" for science in general that spoke on a simple and charismatic level that people easily attached to him.

Liberteer

Dec 8, 2018
Sarajevo
I don't have any specific examples besides this one but he definitely got his start with the whole Pluto isn't a planet thing iirc and he took that spotlight to become a "pr person/hype person" for science in general that spoke on a simple and charismatic level that people easily attached to him.

Well, Pluto is a planet. :D

As for the hype, that's why I've always avoided him. I don't think science needs hype. It needs precision, facts and ideas. I know that there must be a representative who can make science appealing, but turning into a clown doesn't really help. I'm not part of meme generation, and I've seen NDT so many times on GIFs I've decided to skip him / hype.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to go buy his book on the Kindle store as well. Getting a 2019 reading list together.