• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So during Sony's E3, we learned that Activision had the most insane idea of making a new DLC map pack for COD Black Ops 3 that is exclusive only to those who pre-order Black Ops 4 on PlayStation Store. Physical copies are excluded, you will not get access to the maps by pre-ordering it outside the PSN store.

Result: Nobody is playing the maps. This DLC just came out less than a week ago and nobody is playing it!

qPaoRho.jpg

It's one thing to make community separating map packs, but to make one with such a crazy high barrier to entry is another. Will Activision learn from this? BO4 continuing with map packs has also been met with some resistance from the community that doesn't want players to be separated any more, and the separation will likely be even worse with the battle royale mode taking some players away from the traditional multiplayer.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Wow this is fucking stupid. I imagine a release of the dlc at normal price isn't far off with those numbers lol

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
They don't care about fostering a community. They are only interested in their money.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I hate this. COD cannot afford to cut up their playerbase into all these different hoppers anymore.

Pre-order exclusive map pack for the older game is dumb as shit.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
I think that's pretty funny. I was one of those that downloaded the game since it was free on Plus. But I still find this weird because the barrier to entry that you speak of was significantly lowered when Black Ops III became free on Plus. Is there no one who downloaded Black Ops III for free (or already had it) and then pre-ordered the next entry in the franchise? Because, well, I may have my disagreements with the direction Call of Duty is going, and as such I won't pre-order it, but I imagine it's a game that a lot of people will pre-order, because, well, it's CoD.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Locking it behind a 60 dollar digital pay wall is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they be regretting it?
I don't think they are, but I believe the idea is that since nobody is playing it, the money they spent on it was effectively wasted since the marketing didn't work.

Nobody is saying BO4 isn't selling or anything, but the digital preorders either aren't there, or more likely those people aren't playing BO3 with the map pack, which means that it probably didn't influence their decision at all, the marketing was unnecessary. Nobody cares about BO3 maps.

watwatwat

Nov 1, 2017
Well, yeah.

Devs should really get rid of purchasable map packs. It just doesn't work for most games. Let alone attempting something like this.

I'm always really hesistant on purchasing map packs, last time was actually 9 years for a game that I loved. And unless it raises from the dead I'll probably never buy another map pack again.

But hopefully devs realise they should either offer more maps upfront or offer free map packs. Splitting your player base is not the way to go.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah.

Devs should really get rid of purchasable map packs. It just doesn't work for most games. Let alone attempting something like this.

I'm always really hesistant on purchasing map packs, last time was actually 9 years for a game that I loved. And unless it raises from the dead I'll probably never buy another map pack again.

But hopefully devs realise they should either offer more maps upfront or offer free map packs. Splitting your player base is not the way to go.
Yep. The last maps I got were Titanfall and they were on sale. otherwise? fuck that. Even if a map pack map is popular right when it hits, if you wait a few months it's 100% dead. You will never play those maps again. It's a gigantic waste for both the players and the developers.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I do find interesting is since they've added this playlist the old DLC maps have now started to reappear in regular playlists!

It's was pretty rare to get in one, but I seem to be getting them often this week!

But there is no way I'm preordering for these maps, black ops 3 is already one expensive game with low ass drop rates of in game currency

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A couple weeks ago it seemed like Blops 4 was gonna ditch the usual shenanigans. Some of us were hopeful.

Then boom like a light switch it has a fuckin season pass, you can't buy DLC map packs individually outside of said season pass, and it has preorder console exclusive maps (yes, preorder exclusive -and- ps4 exclusive). Thank you Activision.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The whole BO4 subreddit is up in arms about the Season Pass, and spreading to as many other subreddits that will rally behind the cause. Been using the hashtag #SayNOtoBlackOpsPass

Hopefully they keep it up and produce a change. Call of Duty needs to get with the times. Activision/Treyarch got away with some really bad shit in Black Ops 3 (post-launch weapons completely locked in pure RNG lootboxes and a generally bloated loot pool). It's high time the community took a stand.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Methinks Acti are using Black Ops to test their more, uh..."controversial" monetization ideas. Like EA does with Battlefront.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Content outside something small like a theme, exclusive to PSN preorders?! O_o

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Disclosure : I have blops 4 pre-ordered via PSN for my Pro- stanmdard edition - not the one with the season pass.

However, this is utter madness. Restricting it to digital pre-orders only does absolutely nothing for the community. Activision really are fucking up BLOPS 4 release.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. How many people want to digitally preorder a $60 game to play a few remastered maps on a 3 year old game?

It's astonishing how much effort Activision puts in to nickle and diming the CoD playerbase. It seems every year they have a new scheme to see how far they can push the envelope.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I hope they spent a ton of money on this. Maybe next time they'll actually think twice before doing somthing so simutaniosuly stupid and shitty.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Who wants to spend money on those maps on a 3 year old game?? The maps will be dead quicker than usual. It would have been better to just give away the existing DLC maps instead. It's a bad investment and way too many people have gotten Activision's number.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Its good to see people taking a stance against this. Plus its not even black ops if you ask me. Just another futuristic cod game with the wall running/jumping taken out. Treyarch used to be the best. How far they have fallen.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
They should have been free for everyone Activision is too greedy and stupid , they are hurting the longevity of their game . Maps should be free and they could make money off lootboxes but Activision wants to have their cake and eat it at the same time. All excitement for BO4 was gone with the sseason pass announcement , I'll never buy a COD DLC ever again.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
To think that Activision could outdo ea with shady practices this year.....I cancelled my preorder once I learned about the black pass thing....it's bullshit

Ubisoft are by far the best third party when it comes to dlc and it not splitting the user base

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
Isn't it odd that these maps slot right into BO3 and BO4? I can't imagine there being significant development effort spent signifying BO4 is just BO3 with tweaks. I like COD, but I'm not drawn to Battle Royale and I don't like the cartoony approach that Black Ops employs. Without a campaign this may very well be the first COD I pass on in over a decade.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
I'm still upset they removed Gun Game from BO3 online. Unless a really recent update changed anything, you can't play it online anymore, just in offline MP. I don't understand what goes on with Activision sometimes. Maybe it was cutting into microtransactions? And this DLC nonsense seems to be driven by similar greed. Just plain stupid...

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I considered buying Blops4 when the rumors were that there wasn't going to be a map pack. Now that they announced you will still need to pay for the dlc maps, im out.

This game already has way to many questionable changes compared to blops3. Will instead grab Battlefield 5 for my fps this fall.

Sucks too becuse treyarch always made the best cods in my opinion. Blops2 will go down as my favorite cod of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
Was considering getting it and cancelling it - I play on Xbox One, master prestige etc.

I got on a few days ago to play with a friend who hasn't played before, I saw the playlist had 0%

I wasn't surprised given digital preorders are scarce as fuck and BO3's community now doesn't really put up anymore for BS.

May 10, 2018
It sucks since those old Black Ops 1 maps are some of my favorite maps. Would have reinstalled Black Ops 3 until I found out the maps are only available if you preorder Black Ops 4.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm pretty sure there was a thread about the same thing earlier today.

I preordered Black Ops 4 at one place, but I'm far from sure I'm going to buy it. I ended up canceling it and then ordering it elsewhere for $30 off, but even then. Without a campaign, and with more of a focus on zombies (I do not like that mode), battle royale (limited interest) and multiplayer (I play it sporadically) it doesn't seem like it's for me.

I got a code (for the beta?) from one place, but don't know where I put it. I may be done with Call of Duty though. WW2 wasn't as good as it looked like it would be, and got old fast. I didn't even really play Infinite Warfare. Black Ops 3 did have fun multiplayer, though.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
This seems to be the year Activision is trying to really see what they can get away with in this series.

This particular move with Sony is just funny though. I can't believe nobody wanted to drop a non-refundable $60+ on a game that won't be out until October just to play some DLC maps on a 3-year-old game!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be the year Activision is trying to really see what they can get away with in this series.

This particular move with Sony is just funny though. I can't believe nobody wanted to drop a non-refundable $60+ on a game that won't be out until October just to play some DLC maps on a 3-year-old game!
Activision, when a new revenue generation strategy comes along doesn't say. "Oh wow, this is a great strategy, it would replace X strategy well". Activision says, "Throw it on the pile".

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Making it exclusive to the PSN store is fucking insane. Actually, the idea of releasing DLC for a game that came out two COD's ago, and making it a console exclusive to preordering the new one is also insane. I know they want to keep it in the BLOPS brand, but make a fucking WWII pack lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Literally the worst monetization model in gaming in the mainstream space. So much fuckery in just one game. Luckily the gameplay sucks too so it's easy to avoid.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple weeks ago it seemed like Blops 4 was gonna ditch the usual shenanigans. Some of us were hopeful.

Then boom like a light switch it has a fuckin season pass, you can't buy DLC map packs individually outside of said season pass, and it has preorder console exclusive maps (yes, preorder exclusive -and- ps4 exclusive). Thank you Activision.
Did they really find a way to make the map packs worse? You seriously can't buy them outside the season pass?