• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the man has never played the first Uncharted game in its entirety. The Retro Replay channel usually has them play old games, but I guess they felt like doing this one.

I haven't watched this yet but I guess it will be some kind of commentary track for the game too. Could be neat.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch. I've loved the past videos they've been doing together on here so I'm glad we're getting more.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"retro replay"

giphy.gif

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Must watch. These 2 are my favorite voice actors of all time and Uncharted franchise is in my top 3 favorite franchises.

This video is right up my alley, I hope they do more modern games

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
10 minutes in, this has been pretty good.

I like that Troy is asking him questions about every single scene and when they recorded it, how they recorded it, and what props they had.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I imagine I'll get shit for this some how but I can't imagine being involved in a project, let alone something as huge as a game or movie with my likeness in and then not bother to experience it.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They teased this on the last Retro Replay episode.

Glad to see it finally happening.

Hope they play the entire series.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine I'll get shit for this some how but I can't imagine being involved in a project, let alone something as huge as a game or movie with my likeness in and then not bother to experience it.
I think this is surprisingly common with video games, the guy who voices Eggman in the recent Sonic games has never played any of them.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yea It's definitely not underrated, but I think I see where he is coming from. As time goes on I seem to only see people talk about 2 and 3.
Idk, I played through it just over a year ago for the first time and it was pretty rough. The game is a bit of a jank fest, the level design and gunplay is rough, and compared to 2 + 3 it just is way inferior. I had so many bullshit deaths because of the controls too.

It was like a 7/10 when it was going well and it wasn't always going well.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

I remember him talking on a panel once about how he doesn't play them but his son does.

Video games are different to a lot of mediums because you have to be good at them to even be capable of progressing. Uncharted especially ain't the easiest game for someone whose not familiar with games because of the difficulity, difficulty and speed in which you have to react contextually during serpieces. The comedian Dara O'Brien has a but about games and how books or TV don't say "No, you aren't good enough, go back and read the chapter again!"

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk, I played through it just over a year ago for the first time and it was pretty rough. The game is a bit of a jank fest, the level design and gunplay is rough, and compared to 2 + 3 it just is way inferior. I had so many bullshit deaths because of the controls too.

It was like a 7/10 when it was going well and it wasn't always going well.
It has the worst gameplay in the series but the best story and atmosphere (IMO) which, in a series whose gameplay has always been somewhat mediocre anyway, kinda puts it above the rest to me.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The only thing I dislike about the first game is the bunker segment with the The Descent creatures. That was bad.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
The only thing I dislike about the first game is the bunker segment with the The Descent creatures. That was bad.

It was Angel of Darkness kinda bad.

Never in my life have I gone from loving a game to hating it so much. First half of the game is great though.

The evolution from 1 to 2 is mind blowing. They definitely found their calling with Nathan Drake from 2

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It has the worst gameplay in the series but the best story and atmosphere (IMO) which, in a series whose gameplay has always been somewhat mediocre anyway, kinda puts it above the rest to me.
Did it though? It was all in one location (or just two islands), the story doesn't really make sense logistically, even more so than the other games, which also don't make sense logistically, and I really didn't like the borderline horror sequence at the end because the actual gameplay of it was so badly designed.

The story itself was pretty straight forward, but it never really tried for more like the others, which I guess can be a blessing if you are into that.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did it though? It was all in one location (or just two islands), the story doesn't really make sense logistically, even more so than the other games, which also don't make sense logistically, and I really didn't like the borderline horror sequence at the end because the actual gameplay of it was so badly designed.

The story itself was pretty straight forward, but it never really tried for more like the others, which I guess can be a blessing if you are into that.
Actually, the focus on the single location is part of what I like about it so much. Uncharted 2 and 3 often felt too fast-paced and confused and never managed to build up that same sense of mystery about their locations that the first one had. It just made the island's backstory feel a whole lot deeper and made things more atmospheric. I personally never quite got why everyone disliked the twist at the end so much. It went well with the rest of the story and the gameplay made you feel frantic and jumpy which is what it should feel like considering the circumstances. And yeah, the story is simple and cheesy but it's well-executed and I'd much rather have a good, simple story than an over-ambitious, half-baked one (*cough* Uncharted 3 *cough*). Not sure what exactly you mean by logistics, though. But yeah, at the end of the day, narrative quality is very much a subjective matter so it's kinda difficult to discuss it since things will always come down to personal opinion and preference.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, the focus on the single location is part of what I like about it so much. Uncharted 2 and 3 often felt too fast-paced and confused and never managed to build up that same sense of mystery about their locations that the first one had. It just made the island's backstory feel a whole lot deeper and made things more atmospheric. I personally never quite got why everyone disliked the twist at the end so much. It went well with the rest of the story and the gameplay made you feel frantic and jumpy which is what it should feel like considering the circumstances. And yeah, the story is simple and cheesy but it's well-executed and I'd much rather have a good, simple story than an over-ambitious, half-baked one (*cough* Uncharted 3 *cough*). Not sure what exactly you mean by logistics, though. But yeah, at the end of the day, narrative quality is very much a subjective matter so it's kinda difficult to discuss it since things will always come down to personal opinion and preference.
I didn't find the environment as captivating as the Himalayas in 2 or the whole Madagascar sequence in 4. Nothing ever took my breath away in that regard.

My thing about logistics is kind of stupid, but it was a pet peeve of mine. I just remember a vehicle chase sequence in the first game where like 50 off-road buggies/Jeeps kept popping up out of nowhere behind you on this small ass island in the middle of a giant ocean. Things like that kept taking me out of it. This happens constantly in the series where Nate does these really drastic actions and climbing to get to a remote location and suddenly there are 10+ henchmen behind him somehow that must have scaled the same exact shit.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great watch. I didn't realise the voice actors motion captured not only the cutscenes, but also gameplay stuff.

Waters

Mar 17, 2018
It´s awsome and weird at the same time... sounds like Drake himself talking about his videogame...

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find the environment as captivating as the Himalayas in 2 or the whole Madagascar sequence in 4. Nothing ever took my breath away in that regard.

My thing about logistics is kind of stupid, but it was a pet peeve of mine. I just remember a vehicle chase sequence in the first game where like 50 off-road buggies/Jeeps kept popping up out of nowhere behind you on this small ass island in the middle of a giant ocean. Things like that kept taking me out of it. This happens constantly in the series where Nate does these really drastic actions and climbing to get to a remote location and suddenly there are 10+ henchmen behind him somehow that must have scaled the same exact shit.
I did like 4 quite a bit. It's the only other game in the series whose story and atmosphere can hold a candle to the first one IMO. But the Himalayas didn't do it for me. I think there was just sth about being stuck on that uncharted island in the middle of nowhere that I really liked. For some reason, most of their other locations haven't really managed to feel as remote and, like I said, mysterious. To me, at least.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, that's just a general problem with the series (and with many other action games, honestly). What bothered me more were how over-the-top the supernatural-but-not-really elements in Uncharted 2 were (in the first one, things still felt somewhat grounded but in 2 they just overdid it IMO) and some of the logical inconsistencies in both 2 and 3. Like, Shangri La is just out in the open in some valley but Lazarevic's mercenaries never found it during their helicopter rides? And Elena, Sully and Nate just happen to stumble across the exact spot they were looking for in Yemen by accident? But then, of course, 3's story was just a total mess across the board.