• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see how this game isn't out next year. I still think early 2020 is likely. As far as we know, they started development a year before its reveal. That means by mid-2020, it would make 6 years in development. So early 2020 would be just short of 6 years in development. If this is being split into multiple games, there's really little reason they can't have at least the entire first continent made in 6 years. That'd cover you from the beginning until the ship ride. FF7 is big, but it it ain't that big that 6 years can't get that much done. That would just be bordering on incompetence really.

Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to have a significant amount of content and that's coming out with 5 and half years of development time. You can't tell me that the first part of the FF7 Remake somehow requires even more than that kind of time just to get a third of it out. It'd make no sense, because there isn't that much to cover that it should take longer than 5-6 years.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
To quote the big bad booty daddy, if you want to tease me, you better be ready to please me.

I hope every day for the best but this project just isn't going to turn out to anyone's satisfaction.

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people would stop regurgitating the same joke over and over...
can't we have a supplementary 1st post that contains all the delay jokes? lmao!

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Wait.

Hold on.

Now just a goddamn minute!

Are you telling me that a game developer is going to talk about their project currently in development at some point within the next 12 months?!

This is the kind of shit I hate, shit or get off the pot the announcements of announcements needs to fucking stop, hell this is essentially a tease of an announcement of an announcement knowing Square.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see how this game isn't out next year. I still think early 2020 is likely. As far as we know, they started development a year before its reveal. That means by mid-2020, it would make 6 years in development. So early 2020 would be just short of 6 years in development. If this is being split into multiple games, there's really little reason they can't have at least the entire first continent made in 6 years. That'd cover you from the beginning until the ship ride. FF7 is big, but it it ain't that big that 6 years can't get that much done. That would just be bordering on incompetence really.

Considering Nomura didn't even know he was the director until the PSX reveal trailer in 2015, they didn't enter "full production" until 2015 late, and that they only dropped CyberConnect 2 in late 2017. I'd wager they have only really gotten about 2 real years of production on it so far. That being said I do really hope they get this out by 2020, maybe as a PS5/PS4 cross-gen launch title.

It's kind of like how people say FFXV was in development for 10 years... it really was running with a skeleton crew for ~6 of those years and the actual game development didn't really start til Tabata took over in 2013.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
So as long as it is Turn Base it is worth the wait. Who am I kidding FF being Turnbase is long gone T_T

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Nomura didn't even know he was the director until the PSX reveal trailer in 2015, they didn't enter "full production" until 2015 late, and that they only dropped CyberConnect 2 in late 2017. I'd wager they have only really gotten about 2 real years of production on it so far. That being said I do really hope they get this out by 2020, maybe as a PS5/PS4 cross-gen launch title.

It's kind of like how people say FFXV was in development for 10 years... it really was running with a skeleton crew for ~6 of those years and the actual game development didn't really start til Tabata took over in 2013.
This is true but people are assuming they just started again after dropping CC2 and I just don't see that happening.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Man... I would be a whole lot more excited for this remake if they kept the combat ATB turnbased, but modernized like X-2. We already got action in FF15, KH3 is coming out, and now FF7 remake is action again. Blah

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This is true but people are assuming they just started again after dropping CC2 and I just don't see that happening.

Oh I definitely don't think they dropped all the work from before that point in time, but the situation definitely adds overhead. I don't think it's a fair to assume they had 6 years of development time, because you're liable to just set yourself up for disappointment when the game ends up being nowhere near the scale that would suggest.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Well, I guess that's nice. My excitement is pretty deflated for this remake though.

Waiting to see how Kingdom Hearts III shakes out to give Nomura a proper judge as director and then maybe it'll amp up again.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I definitely don't think they dropped all the work from before that point in time, but the situation definitely adds overhead. I don't think it's a fair to assume they had 6 years of development time, because you're liable to just set yourself up for disappointment when the game ends up being nowhere near the scale that would suggest.
Well I'm expecting something the size of XIII. That's what they said it should be. I'm not expecting something like The Witcher or Skyrim though.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is not launching on PS4, but I wouldn't be shocked if they aim for PS5 as a launch window game.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Nomura didn't know he was director until he saw an internal presentation at Square during early production, not during the official reveal trailer back in 2015.

"As preproduction went along and I offered my opinions on what I thought should be done, Mr. Kitase would asked me how the individual elements should be adjusted in fine detail." Nomura recalled. "It was very perplexing. Then one day, as I was checking the internal company presentation video it said 'Director Tetsuya Nomura' at the end."

Apparently this was news to Nomura who had assumed that Kitase would be reclaiming the director's chair for the remake of his game. "So I called up Mr. Kitase and said, 'It says that I'm the director for some reason.' To which he replied, 'Of course it does.'" Nomura said with a nervous laugh.

The "'I thought you were going to direct!' 'Well I thought YOU were going to direct!'" episode was something that happened in the initial stages of the project's inception and Nomura has stated that he is presently well aware of and well into his position as director.

Source.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nomura knew in 2014 when they had an internal presentation. That was roughly a year before E3 2015 when development began and it's where he was caught by surprise.That's from an interview of his after the announcement. People confuse that comment for thinking he meant the announcement in 2015 which is incorrect. The two are not related.

The CC2 thing is a good point but if it took them 3 years to stop using them and scrapping everything as a result, then Nomura and Kitase would be straight up buffoons.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura didn't know he was director until he saw an internal presentation at Square during early production, not during the official reveal trailer back in 2015.

Nomura knew in 2014 when they had an internal presentation. That was roughly a year before E3 2015 when development began and it's where he was caught by surprise.That's from an interview of his after the announcement. People confuse that comment for thinking he meant the announcement in 2015 which is incorrect. The two are not related.

The CC2 thing is a good point but if it took them 3 years to stop using them and scrapping everything as a result, then Nomura and Kitase would be straight up buffoons.

Yeah you're both right my bad I misremembered. I still don't really believe they were working on this game full force until at least mid-late 2015, and they definitely would have had to scale up their internal team a lot after dropping CC2. That kind of churn costs a lot of cycles, and can set a project back a lot.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little sad to see teasers for announcements for a game that was already announced 3 years ago.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to have a significant amount of content and that's coming out with 5 and half years of development time. You can't tell me that the first part of the FF7 Remake somehow requires even more than that kind of time just to get a third of it out. It'd make no sense, because there isn't that much to cover that it should take longer than 5-6 years.
The only reason I could see it not making 2020 is that they had to throw out almost all of what CC2 did (kind of like what happened with KH3, where they had to throw out a year of progress and catch up after switching from Luminous to Unreal 4), while having a slow start because they had to hire up to facilitate inhouse development.

Then again, SE is confusing and ambitious enough to somehow elongate it anyway.
Wait.

Hold on.

Now just a goddamn minute!

Are you telling me that a game developer is going to talk about their project currently in development at some point within the next 12 months?!

This is the kind of shit I hate, shit or get off the pot the announcements of announcements needs to fucking stop, hell this is essentially a tease of an announcement of an announcement knowing Square.
For context, this is a yearly thing where Famitsu asks over a hundred developers about games they're going to release, announce or otherwise talk about in the following twelve months. They didn't randomly press release this or anything, just answered it along with a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's releasing next yeeeear

I believe
In normal world it's realistic to expect a game that was announced almost 4 years ago to launch in the next 12 months but this is modern day Square, no fucking way it's happening.

It's already taken FFVIIR longer from announcement to release than FFXIII did and that one felt eternally long!

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
"Announcements in the last week of 2019 at a revived PSX during the PS5 reveal" is technically still 2019 I suppose.

FY2020 is hopefully locked in now. With KH3 filling in revenues for FY2019, they need something big the next year and this is the only other major announced thing they have going on.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This was always obviously gonna happen - Kingdom Hearts III had years of silence too, likely due to Final Fantasy XV taking the marketing priority.

Obviously the hope is FFVII got just as much attention behind the scenes as KHIII which is... unlikely. But still! I think 2020 is fairly possible, if they're still aiming for current gen.

Also the CyberConnect change probably only affected gameplay itself, I'm sure they made assets, animations, scripts, voice over, music and much more in that space of time. It's a dramatic mix-up, sure, but I'm sure they've course corrected by now.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that a long time to make a game?
Its a long ass time for a game to have an announcement and then go completely silent for 3.5 years and counting. FFXIII had a long development cycle too but by now it was already out in Japan at least. And then there's FF Versus XIII but the less we talk about that one the better.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
3.5 years ago. Next June it'll be 4 goddamn years. Square Enix Japan loves to announce games but they SUCK at finishing them.
The problem with SE is the timing of announcement... they should stop to announce games so many years before release... just work on it and when it's almost done (1.5-1 years?) then reveal it! :|

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a long ass time for a game to have an announcement and then go completely silent for 3.5 years and counting. FFXIII had a long development cycle too but by now it was already out in Japan at least. And then there's FF Versus XIII but the less we talk about that one the better.
They announced the game too early for sure, but I don't get the complaints of it taking too long. Just be patient. The alternative is rushing development in 3 years like XV

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Iirc, he did learn from a presentation, but not from E3, just when it was shown internally. Also, he'd worked on the trailer... But didn't know he was director. He thought he was helping out Kitase with pre-production and marketing. Source here: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-director-didnt-know-he-was-/1100-6428460/

EDIT: Kind of depressing snapshot of the article here:

hx2Yov4.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Woot! What will SE haters complain about once KH3 and FF7R have been released? Any unreleased announced projects left on the list?

Even IF FF VII remake will be released in 2019 ( i don't think so), it will still be just Part1. And it will still be ridicolous seeing FF VII still releasing episodes in 2022 or so after being announced in 2015.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with SE is the timing of announcement... they should stop to announce games so many years before release... just work on it and when it's almost done (1.5-1 years?) then reveal it! :|
Exactly! Yuji Horii is the one person from Square Enix Japan that does this. How much time did it pass between him announcing DQXI and releasing it over there? I dont think it was more than two years!

Anything more than that between announcement and release is stupid. Sony also does this but not as bad.