• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Edit: UPDATE: This is a translation of recorded audio from the behind-closed-doors panel with Kitase, Hamaguchi, and Nomura at the FF 30th Anniversary Exhibition in Japan in January" . Thanks TLSLex and Koozek

- - - -

A user on the Lifestream.net forums has translated some audio where these dudes are apparently talking, during that last closed event. Take it for what you will:

Okay, listening to it now. We'll see how much of a job it will be to translate, but I'll try.

I'll add some general commentary in this post as I go along.

EDIT :
Okay, so I'm just listening through before doing the translation but already some interesting stuff -

They're talking about Aerith's house and how it's surrounded by water in the original.
They make comments about how they made it a river for it to make more sense, and how this impacts living conditions/structure of the world, and then talk about how this kinda stuff has to make sense in terms of how unlike before, with the quality of older games, that kind of stuff (like presumably how the water underneath Aerith's house makes little logistic sense) went unnoticed or wasn't cared about by gamers, but how it's changed in recent time therefore demanded that with the "richness"(realism) of the remake, that those kinda things be changed into something that is more coherent in terms of world-building.

EDIT 2 :
Gotten to the point Nomura comes on and presents the new concept art.
They start with Biggs. One thing to take away is that they say he looks "completely different" from what he looked like in the trailer.
The say the same thing for Wedge. The repeated use of "zenzen chigau" seems to indicate major change from their original designs in the trailer, meaning that this is probably even very different from the designs shown in the Ferrari Art that was in the exhibition.
They say the images brought reflect the newest designs, taken straight out of the office.
Wedge, they remark, particularly as the hair is concerned, looks a lot more realistic.
They go on to say Jessie is perhaps the one that has changed the most - becoming a lot more beatiful and feminine in appearance.

Also worth noting, that now as they show Cloud, and going by earlier remarks and the use of the term "real-time", these are not concept art pictures of the characters, but real-time rendered screenshots.

Nomura says that this version of Cloud is probably the closest visually to capturing the personality of the original Cloud I.E to clarify this phrase that's been thrown about so often from the partial snippets we got a while back - Nomura is commenting on how the visual design reflects Cloud's persona, and they go on to say that visually, they've designed him in a way that captures the way Cloud was not a cool guy in the original game - how he was actually a f***up just putting on a strong front.
They say he looks "real/very very young" this time around, and contrasts him to the AC Cloud, implying a very drastic change from that.

EDIT 3 :
In terms of development, they say the game is progressing very very smoothly.
They're in the process of working out the base "technology", I'd say in this context, refers to the primary game-play base for the game.
They banter a bit talking about how Kitase, Nomura and Hamaguchi have are connected through Line (a social app very common in Japan) and how Hamaguchi will often work on the game til late night, and send messages to the others at 03.00 at night etc.
They're adamant they're making "something we've never seen before" and ask us to "be excited".

Hamaguchi goes on, after Nomura leaves, to comment on the long draught of info since the first trailers, and apologizes. He goes on to say that the project has moved completely in-house, and is again, progressing very smoothly. At the current point they're at the stage where they're basically cramming a bunch of stuff into the game, but once they hit the stage of polishing up the look of things and can deliver something with suffuciently high quality, they will be releasing new footage.
He anticipates this will be in the near future due to how smoothly things are progressing.

Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"
He then however, also goes on to say that a lot is hanging on the next (presumably big) event, and that they're hoping to show off (the game) by then.

PERSONAL NOTE :

I'm kinda baffled by their comments about Cloud, because while it's true that Cloud's real persona is not a hard-ass like the Cloud we're first presented with, it makes no sense to me to make this apparent through his visual design early on in the story/game.

Cloud has been treated extensively with Mako and Sephiroth/Jenova cells - and as far as the player knows, was a member of SOLDIER with most people taking him on his word for that.
This, in my opinion, heavily implies that Cloud plays the part very well early on. Barret remarks on Cloud being tough early on, and people like Rufus don't act surprised at Cloud's claim to having been in Soldier.
Cloud's dofus side is surely something that is better left reflected in portrayls of his child self, or his post memory-fix appeance, not something to bludgeon the player over the head with early on in the game compromizing the later twist with on the nose story-telling through visuals.

https://thelifestream.net/forums/showpost.php?p=782952&postcount=33

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Smooth" by Square Enix standard i.e the game is probably at least 2-3 years away.

Man there's literally a "please be excited" in there too.

Interested to hear about them turning Cloud back into a loser though. It's about time.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Man I can relate to those long work hours. Hopefully they don't kill themselves getting it done.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'll have a hard time believing that the development progression can be qualified by anything close or similar to "smooth"

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
54363301.jpg

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bit about Aerith's house seems interesting. I always wondered why her place had tons of water surrounding it when nowhere else did it. A river would make sense considering how the slums used to be a bunch of towns before Shinra came in iirc.

They go on to say Jessie is perhaps the one that has changed the most - becoming a lot more beautiful and feminine in appearance.

....Why? She looked great in the trailer already plus she's an eco-terrorist. Who cares about appearances when your job is blowing up reactors.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a link to the audio? Otherwise, taking this with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Nvm, I'm dumb and found it. Huh.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
They go on to say Jessie is perhaps the one that has changed the most - becoming a lot more beatiful and feminine in appearance.

Hmm not that I mind this but I really liked the remake look she had before
Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Biggs-Wedge-Jessie.jpg

2m7lry2ktwi01.jpg

Anyway I will believe development is going fine when we actually see a proper new gameplay trailer and also finally see Tifa in action. The trailer should just start with combat and has you switch from Cloud to Tifa

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that things are going smoothly in house.

I absolutely hate drive by concern trolling posts that this thread will inevitably be filled with, but changing designs of characters (That looked great in the first place) isn't something i wanted to hear about.

Oct 25, 2017
This game(at least the first part) is totally closing out this gen and While it's ridiculous we had to wait so long I'm still excited to see it

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty good. Although I'm not sure why they changed Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie's appearance, because they looked good previously. Well, maybe it is to fit an overall adjusted style. The whole "we made her more feminine" is kinda stupid but I can't really comment until we actually see the new designs. I hope they didn't overly "Nomura" them, to be honest.

Anyway, I like what they talk about here. Here's to hoping we see a clip at E3.

Edit:

2m7lry2ktwi01.jpg

Anyway I will believe development is going fine when we actually see a proper new gameplay trailer and also finally see Tifa in action. The trailer should just start with combat and has you switch from Cloud to Tifa

Yeah honestly these designs were quite good, so I'm a bit perplexed at the design change talk. But I guess we will see when they reveal the game again next.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"

e4GMK.gif

RashBandicoot

Nov 3, 2017
I think they have to give some official update at E3. Even if it's concept art or a time frame when to expect the game.

If it makes no appearance at E3 it's safe to assume the delay/troubled development rumor is true.

Oct 26, 2017
Another CG trailer or some FF XV reveal type of bullshit.

As much as i love FF 7, Square Enix is a joke nowadays, not expecting a lot from them.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

2m7lry2ktwi01.jpg

They'll probably give her cargo shorts and a push-up bra. "feminine" sigh.

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be at e3. They've promised kh3 reveals a couple of times and failed there too.

Don't get your hopes up is all I'm saying.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
i like the Roberto Ferrari designs hope they are faithful to them

DXF3hYNUMAAM_gj.jpg

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Don't like the Jessie part a bit, especially considering how something similar (correct me if I'm wrong) was said by Nomura about Stella (RIP) and how that design change turned out (2009 Stella is legit one of my favourite FF designs):
FFv13-Graphics-Compare_2.jpg

Also, a bit worried about Cloud. His FF VII-R PSX design was absolutely great, and this is from a guy who has hated about every single Cloud iteration since the original, especially the AC one (which would be the closest to the Remake in terms of face detail). Let's see, but at the very least it's cool that Nomura knows about Cloud being a fool, although I hope he still has that initial facade.

Hopefully they show something soon enough, but I'm not counting on it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
We joke about Square Enix taking a long, long time to ship games but we forget or outright ignore that they're working late nights to give us something to enjoy and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Fingers crossed.

Worried about the design changes, they all looked perfect in the 2015 trailer.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're 100% going to make the characters completely overdesigned and ridiculous looking. I knew the 90s anime look we saw before was too good to be true, modern JRPG artists really just can't leave well enough alone.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
They always say this to calm down the fans regardless of the real situation. sources indicated that the development has been actually started from scratch after SE retrieved the development process. I doubt we will see the game this gen to be honest.

here is what Kitase said to Kotaku about FFVersus XIII in the past:

Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase told us at Gamescom this week that development time on Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be "comparatively faster" than that of the core entry, Final Fantasy XIII.

and we all know what the result was.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of development, they say the game is progressing very very smoothly.
They're in the process of working out the base "technology", I'd say in this context, refers to the primary game-play base for the game.

Is just now working out the "base technology" really what you'd expect from a development that's progressing smoothly? I guess I just don't know anything about these things.
There's no chance it'll be at E3, though.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
They always say this to calm down the fans regardless of the real situation. sources indicated that the development has been actually started from scratch after SE retrieved the development process. I doubt we will see the game this gen to be honest.

here is what Kitase said to Kotaku about FFVersus XIII in the past:

and we all know what the result was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the FFXIV disaster a major contributor to VersusXIII's development being sidelined/stunted?

Well... to a point. :p
No idea what happened post 2013. Hopefully we get a good retrospective one day.

Last edited: