• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
www.famitsu.com

『FF7 リバース』ほか『FF7』関連タイトルについて北瀬氏と野村氏に直撃。クラウドとセフィロスのあのシーンは? 残り2部作で原作の内容は収まる? | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

『ファイナルファンタジーVII リバース』や『FFVII エバークライシス』など『FFVII』関連タイトルについて北瀬佳範氏、野村哲也氏にインタビュー! 同時公開の『クライシス コア -FFVII- リユニオン』のインタビューもお見逃しなく。

^
Source and translation via Xenosaga

-There won't be any locations from the original game cut in the remake. However, due to the strucuture of remake being multiple games, there will be slight change in the order of places you visit. But no location will be cut.

-We know some fans are worried that because it's going to be finished in 3 games, some are worried things might get cut or shortened. But nothing will be cut or shortened.

Also included is the info that it's a trilogy because although they initially had some ideas about only have two games the workload of the first game put into perspective how much effort it would take to try and include the rest of the original game so they ultimately went with making a trilogy.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
I always thought in the back of my mind i would think that we had 3 discs in the original FF7 that there would be 3 games for the remake

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I'm still a bit skeptical on how the pacing will be handled, even after reading this interview.

I guess we shall see how things will go once Rebirth is out.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I know for sure this interview is going to come back and bite everyone in the ass in a few years.

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
That's reassuring, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. They have a lot of areas to go to still, so the two remaining games are either going to be a lot longer than the first, or the sections will be pretty short.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know for sure this interview is going to come back and bite everyone in the ass in a few years.

I'm sure they will find some way to make it technically correct. Like Mideel will appear, just only in cutscenes, but you still GO there for five minutes so hey we included Mideel!

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
It will probably be a Midgar start ---> Northern Crater end without the backtracking, the narrative is different enough that it will probably wrap around the first visit to the crater.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I am really interested to see how they are going to recreate some many amazing locations with the FF7 engine, such as Junon. That alone would require so much work and I can't see it being a throw away location for just two hours.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly crazy of a statement if only because there are some locations in the original that, while being as detailed on a visual level as the rest of the game, are visited for an incredibly brief amount of time.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to quote my other post about how I'm glad they've confirmed this because of how annoying the discourse around locations being cut was getting, but I see the usual suspects are taking this info as cynically as possible for no real reason.

Guess the next few years of discussion around this game are going be as trash as they've always been.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Good to hear.

Some people seemed pretty confident that they'd be cutting lots of stuff and radically changing everything, but it's pretty clear that the team has too much respect for the original to go that far.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
That's great to hear! They've earned my trust after Remake, can't wait to see what the future holds.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I even expect towns like Banora to show up. Rebirth, from some of the interviews I've read, is going to be significantly larger than part 1 thanks to how it was received and it has longer development time + a lot of assets already made.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There won't be any locations from the original game cut in the remake.

Tiny cave with a guy snoozing on a bulldozer on the way to Corel CONFIRMED!
FFVII-00474-Mount-Corel-Cave.png

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Confused why people are thinking he's lying? Why the heck do you think the game was broken up into multiple parts? Lol Era takes are weird af

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Ah yes, Nomura says something quite random and not exactly outrageous, so of course he's a liar. Typical.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I believe him. They already said in an ultimania interview that they plan on covering the locations from the original game. That said, I imagine certain locations will be saved for Part 3. I imagine Fort Condor will be in part 3 and Wutai will also be a major part of the game there.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
they've stretched one game to three. why would anyone have any fear that something would be cut? if anything, the bridge to Corel is probably like 4 hours long now.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Honestly I don't see this as a fully positive statement. I don't know how this can be a faithful remake with every location but simultaneously a radical departure of infinite new possibilities. Square seem to want to do both with this series when you really need to pick one and commit. I loved Episode Yuffie though so they have the benefit of the doubt, I'm onboard for the rest of the ride.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Confused why people are thinking he's lying? Why the heck do you think the game was broken up into multiple parts? Lol Era takes are weird af

A lot of things can happen during development. I don't think he is lying, just that he is not considering plans could change at any moment. He is not just talking about Rebirth but also an almost untouched game that will be released in the second half of the 2020s.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I can believe this mainly because of how much "made up" stuff was in FF7r.

The warehouses, the climb to the upper plates, the extended sewer stuff. Now that the party is out of midgar, many of the tiny areas from the main game can be slotted in for purposes like that instead.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of things can happen during development. I don't think he is lying, just that he is not considering plans could change at any moment.

They're working on part 3 already, I'm pretty sure they planned out a long time ago how this was going to work. He even said in this same interview that the plan was for this whole remake to be a trilogy.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
I'm happy that it will be 3 parts but interesting that there were considerations for only 2 parts. Maybe they would have gone that way in case if the game didn't sell well.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
They're working on part 3 already, I'm pretty sure they planned out a long time ago how this was going to work. He even said in this same interview that the plan was for this whole remake to be a trilogy.

He said they initially considered a duology but after the first game's workload they decided to do a trilogy. It wasn't decided beforehand.

Nov 23, 2017
Considering how expanded Midgar was, I never believed for a second that they would cut shit out and now they've pretty much confirmed that. Pretty much everything they've said so far was true. There's no reason for me to doubt them.

Deleted member 119070

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this. But after seeing all the hype about this remake I've been wanting to get into the FF franchise.

Do I need to play all the FF games to understand the story? I usually like to play all the entries in a saga no matter how old they are.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He said they initially considered a duology but after the first game's workload they decided to do a trilogy. It wasn't decided beforehand.

He literally says that the plan was always a trilogy but Kitase briefly considered a duology before realising how much stuff was left following part 1.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this. But after seeing all the hype about this remake I've been wanting to get into the FF franchise.

Do I need to play all the FF games to understand the story? I usually like to play all the entries in a saga no matter how old they are.
Just the OG VII and Remake are the ones you want to play.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Wow I'm a little shocked at this tbh
I assume then that part 2 is going to need to end at the very least at City of the Ancients then or part 3 will take 75 years to make lol.

That feels like a good place to make a cliffhanger for the final game as well. Still not convinced they are willing to change a certain characters ultimate fate but we'll see.

Regardless, there is a staggering amount of unique content/locations etc to fit into 2 more games so it will be interesting to see how much less "open world" these games are. Maybe keeping it structured more like part 1 will make production of the other parts easier than going more open.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"However, due to the structure of remake being multiple games, there will be slight change in the order of places you visit. But no location will be cut."

This feels like PR speak to me.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe this mainly because of how much "made up" stuff was in FF7r.

The warehouses, the climb to the upper plates, the extended sewer stuff. Now that the party is out of midgar, many of the tiny areas from the main game can be slotted in for purposes like that instead.
I can see there being some new locations in game 3. Small dungeon areas for fighting the Weapon superbosses, maybe a bit of shadow of the collosus influence.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i think people forget that expanding midgar specifically was one of their goals - doesnt mean that EVERY location is going to be as expanded as midgar, so i believe it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought in the back of my mind i would think that we had 3 discs in the original FF7 that there would be 3 games for the remake

At the end we will get a Nostalgia Edition including all three games and with a packaging similar to the Ps1 game. It will still cost the price of all three games + the collector premium.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain

The entire FF series is standalone, the only mainline games that are sequels to each others are FFIV: The After Years (sequel to FFIV), FFX-2 (sequel to FFX), FFXII-2 and Lightning Returns (sequels to FFXIII). I suggest V, VI, the PS1 games (VII, VIII and IX) or X, depending on your interests. I don't think it's a fantastic series but they usually provide unique experiences. Also, most people do not suggest playing the remake for VII unless you played the original.

He literally says that the plan was always a trilogy but Kitase briefly considered a duology before realising how much stuff was left following part 1.

I stand corrected. But it still makes my point that the plan could have changed mid-development.

Last edited:

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
"However, due to the structure of remake being multiple games, there will be slight change in the order of places you visit. But no location will be cut."

This feels like PR speak to me.
This just means imo that certain locations may not be in Part II but will be in part III due to the change in order.
I'm almost certain this is it