• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomu...roperties-dealing-with-leaks-and-rumors-12569

On Kingdom Hearts:
Kingdom Hearts is a series that focuses on the conflict between light and darkness, of friendships and rivalries. But above all, it represents a journey into the hearts of the protagonists. How are the hearts of you and your team now that development has almost come to a close?

Nomura: We're steadily approaching the end of the development cycle, so I won't deny it's a very busy and stressful period personally speaking. Even with E3 going on right now, I'm still receiving requests to review elements of the game. There's never a quiet moment; regardless of what time it is, I'll have things from the team that needs to be checked and approved, messages to be answered, and numerous requests for feedback.

Now that we have announced the release date, we must absolutely hit that date and not delay the game any further. Everyone is giving their all and pushing themselves to the limit, not only because of the release date, but to also deliver an excellent game. With it being so late in development, I try to not give feedback that would require too many changes, because I'm convinced it would create more stress and anxiety in the team. I'm personally trying to remain as calm as possible.

On Sakaguchi's advice during Kingdom Hearts' inception:
Did you have any advice from Hironobu Sakaguchi at that time? What did you think about the project?

Nomura: When I started working on the first Kingdom Hearts, Sakaguchi gave me a little suggestion. He had asked me what kind of game I was going to create, and I told him that I wanted to make a simple adventure, at the end of which the protagonist would have defeated a witch. He told me it was not a good idea, and I needed to create a story that would appeal to fans of Final Fantasy, so there was no need to keep things so simple. That was the only warning he ever gave me, and he never gave me any feedback after the game was released. Before leaving, he simply told me: "I do not need to play your game because I know it will be done well and it will be fun. You do not need any suggestions from me."

Sakaguchi is considered the father of Final Fantasy, as the one who created the series. In our office, few people have met him and many who work on Final Fantasy have never worked with him. My generation is probably the last one to have worked directly with Sakaguchi. Maybe at the time I was not too nice, and I imagine that he may have seen me as someone that is difficult to work with. He has had many students, and among all I was "the strange one", but I think I was also the only one who inherited and continues to carry on his spirit of making games. But these days, we are no longer in touch and it will have been a few years since we last heard from each other.

On having announced Final Fantasy VII Remake too early, partially to get ahead of leaks/rumors:
Many publishers prefer to announce their projects when they have progressed quite far in development, but games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and the remake of Final Fantasy 7 have been revealed very early in advance, creating much anticipation from the fans. Would you have preferred waiting so as to not deal with the pressure and expectations from fans at such an early stage?

Nomura: Deciding when to announce your game to the public is always difficult. I understand why some companies wait as long as possible, and I definitely think it's a good thing for them. But in our case, we receive pressure from the fans even when we do not announce anything. They're always asking us "are you working on this?" or "why don't you make a sequel for that?". Even after the announcement, the situation does not change, because then they'll move onto asking us "when will it release?" or "when will you show a new trailer?".

People are waiting for new information regardless of whether the game has been announced or not. It's great when we manage to keep it secret for as long as possible, but these days, a lot of important projects become victims of rumors and leaks. Honestly, I prefer that we officially reveal one of our games instead of seeing a leak or a rumor circulating online. Especially when part of the development is outsourced to other companies, there is always the risk that people outside the in-house team will spread information and images online. It is even worse when, during the development, a fake rumor sprouts that people start to believe, and it becomes necessary to decide whether to answer and deny.

The same thing happened with the remake of Final Fantasy 7. I am well aware of the fact that we announced it too early, but even in the industry, word was beginning to spread that we were working on the game, so we just decided not to keep it more secret and officially reveal it.

Much more at the link.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Fair enough, Nomura. You showed us the game too early... but why do we keep insisting that the game is going well according to plan, yet ya'll can't show a single piece of screenshot in the past 3 years? And I'm not talking about that damned leaked Air Buster.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He had asked me what kind of game I was going to create, and I told him that I wanted to make a simple adventure, at the end of which the protagonist would have defeated a witch. He told me it was not a good idea, and I needed to create a story that would appeal to fans of Final Fantasy, so there was no need to keep things so simple. That was the only warning he ever gave me, and he never gave me any feedback after the game was released. Before leaving, he simply told me: "I do not need to play your game because I know it will be done well and it will be fun. You do not need any suggestions from me."

There, blame Sakaguchi for the series being convoluted

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see where he's coming from in terms of early announcements. It can suck when you're working on something only for the surprise of it to be spoiled. In that way I can understand why they announce things early. For me personally I don't have much of a problem waiting for them to come out either, I've learned to be patient with Square's releases.

It's also great to hear that Sakaguchi was one of the main reasons Kingdom Hearts became what it is today. Nomura's original concept sounds so boring.

Next, someone ask Nomura why CC2 is no longer working on the game.

That doesn't really sound like an appropriate question. You likely wouldn't get an answer either.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think he's right, it's better to announce a project early instead of letting leaks and rumours circulate and possibly have to deal with any misinformation that may come with them. It also means hiring people who want to work on FFVII Remake should be a little easier since its development is official.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, Nomura. You showed us the game too early... but why do we keep insisting that the game is going well according to plan, yet ya'll can't show a single piece of screenshot in the past 3 years? And I'm not talking about that damned leaked Air Buster.

These are from last year.

znc7g1xccaamm6b9sf9j.png

ff7r2-1487455253234_610w.jpg

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Square Enix did when they announced the game was being moved in house

"I've taken over the development side of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake," Hamaguchi said. "Up until now, development has progressed by receiving external collaboration, but from here on out, with production and quality in mind, we're shifting to our in-house organization. This company decision was made wanting to control quality as well as keeping the schedule stable."

It's a very professional and polite way of saying that development wasn't going well with CC2.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
The Air Buster screen wasn't leaked, it was deliberately shown on a job posting.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because it wasn't the best idea to give one of the most anticipated games of all time to a developer only known for a niche JRPG game with barebones action mechanics and a very casual Naruto fighting game.

I love CC2 and their games, but it still blows my mind that they were chosen for a project of this scale and magnitude.

Zerokingx

Oct 29, 2017
They are literally planning the next info drop you can wait lol

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Probably because it wasn't the best idea to give one of the most anticipated games of all time to a developer only known for a niche JRPG game with barebones action mechanics and a very casual Naruto fighting game.

I love CC2 and their games, but it still blows my mind that they were chosen for a project of this scale and magnitude.

What do you think FF7 Remake is going to be ? Devil May Cry mechanics ? Tekken ?

None of the games have complicated stories by themselves.

Sakaguchi has no reason to be blamed for anything then, glad we can find a common ground so quickly.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It certainly was a mistake and likely due to Square lacking the staff at the time. Nomura's been pretty open about KH3 taking longer than expected due to them not having enough staff to put on the game despite him being approved for more.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nomura is a guy that doesn't like leaks. People at Square Enix knows this quite well. I remember there were a couple of times things were leaked for Dissidia NT and Nomura was pissed about them during the livestream. lol

Oct 29, 2017
Especially when part of the development is outsourced to other companies, there is always the risk that people outside the in-house team will spread information and images online. It is even worse when, during the development, a fake rumor sprouts that people start to believe, and it becomes necessary to decide whether to answer and deny.

I think this is key. Since the game started development outsourced to another studio Square Enix knew the chances of the game not getting leaked were zero, so they decided to get ahead of possible rumors and just announce it during pre-production.

Square Enix's problem with announcing games too early is that they rarely comment on the state of the game during its announcement. They should've come out and said "we're in preproduction" instead of making people guess.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I wouldnt mind them taking forever if it meant a great is coming.

That hasnt been the case with square enix japan,especially when it came to XV.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that Sakaguchi and him don't stay in touch. I always got the sense that their relationship was pretty good while they worked together (at least I remember reading both of them saying pretty positive stuff about the others work), but this paints it in a different light.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Square Enix did when they announced the game was being moved in house

"I've taken over the development side of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake," Hamaguchi said. "Up until now, development has progressed by receiving external collaboration, but from here on out, with production and quality in mind, we're shifting to our in-house organization. This company decision was made wanting to control quality as well as keeping the schedule stable."

It's a very professional and polite way of saying that development wasn't going well with CC2.

Not really. I think CC2 were trying to take over and not listen to SE and SE weren't having that.

peetxp

May 30, 2018
I know these bits of news are mainly KHIII-related, but the number of subtle 7:R references interspersed in them recently indicate (at least to me) that SQE are well aware of the post-E3 backlash. In other words they're in damage limitation - or placating - mode.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know these bits of news are mainly KHIII-related, but the number of subtle 7:R references interspersed in them recently indicate (at least to me) that SQE are well aware of the post-E3 backlash. In other words they're in damage limitation - or placating - mode.

We'll likely see a new trailer for it at next E3 at the latest. If what they say is true and it's going smoothly that won't be hard. It's also their next big Japanese AAA release with KH3 out by then so it's gonna be the focus.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. I think CC2 were trying to take over and not listen to SE and SE weren't having that.

I think it's very easy to blame CC2 when it could also probably be a huge failure of Square-Enix in terms of expectations, production and deadline. Reminder Nomura was extremely fond of CC2 as a studio, too.

CC2 also has a lot of experience when it comes to Unreal Engine for years, probably more than Square(s core staff that was still asked to juggle between Luminous and the dying remnants of Crystal Tools.

It's too easy to say CC2 just messed everything up, but it's Square-Enix we're talking about, the ones who haven't been able to build an engine for an entire generation of consoles.

peetxp

May 30, 2018
We'll likely see a new trailer for it at next E3 at the latest. If what they say is true and it's going smoothly that won't be hard. It's also their next big Japanese AAA release with KH3 out by then so it's gonna be the focus.
Tend to agree with this, even if I'm stilll holding out small hope for TGS or PSX - though that's unlikely as it will step on KHIII's toes. Maybe a couple of screenshots at least?

Anyway. Yeh, again. In all likelihood just 11 months and 2-3 weeks to go ... :-/

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Nomura about Sakaguchi said:
But these days, we are no longer in touch and it will have been a few years since we last heard from each other.
That's a bit weird. They've at least seen each other fairly recently:
SakaguchiNomura.jpg

Less than a year ago it was announced that Nomura was going to design a guardian for Terra Battle 2, actually. There was even a contest to celebrate the collaboration, where fans of both Gooch's work and Nomura's work were asked to draw crossovers, or characters from the games they worked on together. I guess those plans were cancelled when Terra Battle 2's launch failed badly though.

Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/tetsuya-nomura-designing-guardian-hironobu-sakaguchi-terra-battle-2/

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tend to agree with this, even if I'm stilll holding out small hope for TGS or PSX - though that's unlikely as it will step on KHIII's toes. Maybe a couple of screenshots at least?

Anyway. Yeh, again. In all likelihood just 11 months and 2-3 weeks to go ... :-/

They'll get a lot of shit if they just release a couple screenshots, people say they just want something but if it's not substantial enough it will lead to people complaining that it's not making any progress. I imagine 2019 is when the game will resurface much like KH3 resurfaced in 2017 with a meatier trailer.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deciding when to announce your game to the public is always difficult. I understand why some companies wait as long as possible, and I definitely think it's a good thing for them. But in our case, we receive pressure from the fans even when we do not announce anything. They're always asking us "are you working on this?" or "why don't you make a sequel for that?". Even after the announcement, the situation does not change, because then they'll move onto asking us "when will it release?" or "when will you show a new trailer?".

Nomura isn't wrong about what he said. We see it every day on internet and of course, here. I totally can understand what he means and many developers and people of the industry probably thinks the same.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thought of Sakaguchi being to "blame" for Nomura adding Ansem SoD and all the darkness nonsense that would later devolve into the rest of the series, and then leaving the company is just too damn funny lmao. I do remember reading somewhere that he encouraged Nomura to make KH games as "complete" as possible tho, so that's definitely great.

Not sure what to say about FF7... I mean he's not wrong, but announcing something like that before it's even in proper development is just... No.

peetxp

May 30, 2018
They'll get a lot of shit if they just release a couple screenshots, people say they just want something but if it's not substantial enough it will lead to people complaining that it's not making any progress. I imagine 2019 is when the game will resurface much like KH3 resurfaced in 2017 with a meatier trailer.
We'll see. Personally a couple of screenshots with the expectation of a proper trailer at E3 2019 would go down quite well, I think.

Certainly better than zero, zip, nada. Or grainy pictures of Air Buster or Concept Art.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I remember waaaaay back when Nomura said the same thing about KH2 being announced too early, so I guess they still haven't learned their lesson.

I meam, I get where he's coming from, but the relative lack of information for FFVIIR is...worrying?

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix is never going to learn from their past mistakes.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I think they should have sat on it and let rumors fly until nobody believed them. But I personally can't blame them for wanting to get out and ahead of the leaks.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Years ago Nomura said they revealed it early to drive interest in the PS4 market in Japan especially:
The slow uptake of new consoles in Japan seems to be a concern, and Square Enix is making a concerted effort to make sure the PlayStation 4 is more attractive to the audience in its home country. "There's more and more titles being introduced for the platform, and we're hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it'll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console. If we announced the remake after all those titles have been sold, it wouldn't have created such an impact, so that's why we decided on this timing. We wanted to reassure players that PlayStation 4 is coming out with great titles including Final Fantasy 7. That's why we decided to announce the remake."

Source.
---

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I think they should have sat on it and let rumors fly until nobody believed them. But I personally can't blame them for wanting to get out and ahead of the leaks.
There technically was a leak of FFVIIR earlier in the day of the announcement at E3 '15, lol:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/15/final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-coming-to-playstation-4/

https://www.destructoid.com/multipl...asy-vii-remake-is-coming-for-ps4-294030.phtml

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like no one was willing to believe it at the time. I usually stay off ERA (GAF at the time) once E3 is in full swing so I missed the thread where the FF7R leak got verified and people went nuts.
Man, that thread was legendary. But well, I had baleed in the remake for years before the reveal anyway :P Verendus' posts from early 2013 onwards about a real FFVII remake being in pre-production actually were the reason I joined the forum at that time, haha. Reposting for old time's sake:

Early 2013 (btw, the bit about Versus/FFXV having a 2014 release date is interesting and something Roberto Ferrari confirmed in one of his Facebook comments in 2016 :thinking:):
Verendus said:
I can spill the following comfortably though since I think this developer is a bit of a joke, and I think people are beginning to suspect this anyway. Versus XIII will have another unveiling later this year regarding development for the next generation. It won't have the "Versus XIII" part in the title. It will definitely release in 2014. You can have my account deleted if this information turns out to be inaccurate. News is fresh on this and I'm really confident about it. FF15 and FF16 are underway, both next generation projects. There's a chance FF15, in particular, may be an exclusive release. Kind of. And with that, I'm off to sleep.
Late 2013:
Verendus said:
Yes, it is. I'm sure of that about as much as seeing it with my own eyes. It's in planning/designing stage; has been for a while.
Early 2014, after this interview of Kitase talking about how ambitious and unrealistic doing a FFVII remake would be:
Verendus said:
It's happening. He's obviously not going to give any indication as such though so it hardly matters until they're ready to announce something. His comments make sense. It's a huge project that will take a lot of effort, and demand a lot from him personally, in order to ensure the end result is something satisfactory.
After the whole FFVII PS4 port announcement troll (probably unintentional); still insisting that there is an actual remake:
First, to get the important part out of the way, you lost the avatar bet. And yes, I was aware of a port of the PC version coming, although I did not know that last year. That's a more recent thing I learnt of a couple months ago through necessity.

And no, this isn't what I referred to a year ago. I think that should be apparent considering what I've said in the past, but let's clarify here for the last time. Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know. And to be fair, I don't really care about the extra stuff whatever that ends up being since I don't exactly think the original Compilation was any good. I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

This is obviously ignoring the massive elephant in the room, but either way, FFXV and KH3 come first since they're the priority projects at the moment. After that is when any substantial work will begin to happen with the other stuff.