• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I know I specified Americans but this topic can be applied to anyone from any country with a large tipping culture. This is also primarily targeted at restaurant workers. I'm aware of large amounts of people who will just never tip regardless of the level of service provided to them. I'm just curious what your reason is and if there are any situations in which you would reconsider?

I want to foster healthy debate and discussion so no rude or snarky comments please!

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I tip to those that deserve it, period. The amount I tip is based on service, and/or consistency. I never pre-tip before I receive goods or services as some places have started doing. Minimum I tip is whatever rounds up to the next dollar in cents, Maximum is around 40 percent.

Like everything in my life, it can vary wildly, depending on the situation. The important thing is to always treat people right, period. That doesn't always mean that I have to leave a big tip, or any tip. I don't always tip, tips should be a bonus.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
1) This will not end well
2) I don't tip if I'm ordering a takeout meal and there is an option to tip on the receipt. No one did anything so whats the point of giving them money?

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole resetera thing was such a beautiful opportunity to leave some of our ole bullshit behind but you just had to go and bring this up, huh.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
10% if average service
15% if good
20% if excellent

That's always my tipping process if dining in at a restaurant. Give around 10 to 15% for delivery.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Why not:

• Restaurants: 15% for good service, less or none for bad service. More if good service and I'm drunk.
  • Take-out: Flat $1 for most $2 for my usual spots. Big big orders get more.
  • Delivery: $3-5 for on time or early, less for late.
  • Bar: $1 per drink if I'm paying cash each time, or per order if I'm grabbing one for my wife or buddy too. If I'm running a tab, 15-20% for good service.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
Afaik, most restraunts are able to pay under the minimum wage due to tipping. Given that, I always tip 15%, sometimes more depending on the service.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What about bar tipping culture? $1 to hand me a beer can, or pop the top off the bottle, sheesh. I understand tipping for getting a good mixed drink, but man, the pressure to tip for some stuff is ridiculous.

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
1) This will not end well
2) I don't tip if I'm ordering a takeout meal and there is an option to tip on the receipt. No one did anything so whats the point of giving them money?
A lot of takeout meals at dine in restaurants are prepared by servers with larger orders potentially taking quite a bit of time from their dine in tables so I usually give a couple bucks

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really think about it. Doesn't change my life if it's a custom or not.

I'll go anywhere from 10% to 100%

100% is for life changing service and hasn't happened that much.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10% if average service
15% if good
20% if excellent

That's always my tipping process if dining in at a restaurant. Give around 10 to 15% for delivery.

Wait what, so you'll automatically tip a delivery driver the same percentage as someone literally serving you for an hour plus if they have "average" service? Shouldn't you tip an average delivery driver like less than 5% then?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you're a regular at basically any restaurant and you're consistently giving them 10% tips expect hair and spit in your food bruh.

Nah, most likely the server isn't even going to remember you much less even if they did are they going to put their job on the line trying to fuck with your food.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about bar tipping culture? $1 to hand me a beer can, or pop the top off the bottle, sheesh. I understand tipping for getting a good mixed drink, but man, the pressure to tip for some stuff is ridiculous.

Yeah this I've never really understood. I don't feel like I need to give you a 20% tip for handing me an overpriced beer or a 100% tip for pushing a spicket down for an overpriced cup of coffee.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We don't need to tip here because we pay our workers a decent wage.

Personally I've done it once when our waiter was incredibly entertaining and we felt he deserved something extra.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some weird shit is going to happen with automation?

Do you tip a robot?
Do you tip an AI?
Do you want the tip back if you find out that you were interacting with an AI/robot instead of a human?

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I tip HEAVY at local places.
The bars or restaurants in my neighborhood, I do a minimum $20 no matter the bill. 2 beers, $12.. $20 tip.

I can pretty much walk into any local place and be treated like a king. I walk into the pub on my street, my beers being poured before I sit down.

Tip hard is just how I live. If I go to a bar I tip REAL heavy on the first round and for the rest of the night I dont wait for drinks and the bartender is going out of his way keeping my pint full, area clean, etc..

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate tipping. It's an antiquated tradition and should be abolished.

I only tip at dine in restaurants.
This minus the spoiler. If I have change on me, that's the most I'll tip. I'm a cheap bastard.

I tip HEAVY at local places.
The bars or restaurants in my neighborhood, I do a minimum $20 no matter the bill. 2 beers, $12.. $20 tip.

I can pretty much walk into any local place and be treated like a king. I walk into the pub on my street, my beers being poured before I sit down.

Tip hard is just how I live. If I go to a bar I tip REAL heavy on the first round and for the rest of the night I dont wait for drinks and the bartender is going out of his way keeping my pint full, area clean, etc..
I like it! But that type of service should be for every patron.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
if you're a regular at basically any restaurant and you're consistently giving them 10% tips expect hair and spit in your food bruh.

If I was a regular that would mean I like the service and tip at least 15

Wait what, so you'll automatically tip a delivery driver the same percentage as someone literally serving you for an hour plus if they have "average" service? Shouldn't you tip an average delivery driver like less than 5% then?

I got a soft spot for delivery drivers. I was in the delivery service when I was young and it always made my day if I was tipped around 10% or more, so yeah that's why.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Some weird shit is going to happen with automation?

Do you tip a robot?
Do you tip an AI?
Do you want the tip back if you find out that you were interacting with an AI/robot instead of a human?

Does the AI have feelings/rights? Does it depend on that wage? Then sure, I'll tip.
Obviously if its just a mindless robot, it doesn't need or want money, so why would you tip.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Nah, most likely the server isn't even going to remember you much less even if they did are they going to put their job on the line trying to fuck with your food.
Well yeah in an Olive Garden sure but go to any locally owed restaurant and I can guarantee you some people will do that.
The most i usually tip is 10%
When i eat out with my wife, we spend around $70 to $80. Yeah, I'm cheap.
Jesus

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Crappy system that favors looks, race, age, location, and venue. Enables servers to play favorites with customers IE "you get bumped in queue for drinks at the bar even though others have been waiting". Creates a terrible feedback loop where people blame customers instead of employers for fucking them over. It creates a culture of shame where anyone who doesn't tip is an asshole even if the service was just adequate. There's an angle of manipulation where you can't tap your card until you pass the tip screen.

I would rather a more transparent and fair system across the board, so unless the service staff gives top notch service then you're most likely not going to see a tip from me. Like, come on, who's going to tip $1 per drink at a bar?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I tip at dine-in restaurants and when I get my haircut, but that's it.

ig55

Oct 27, 2017
My position is if you have enough disposable income to be drinking at a bar you should tip for every drank. $1 per beer, $2 per mixed cocktail

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
I can't say I don't tip but I have some flat rules about it.
1) Not percentage based. Just because I ordered something more expensive doesn't mean you did more work and I don't feel carrying a little extra food is worth that much.
2) Amount based on how well I feel taken care of. For delivery people if you make me go to the parking lot to pick up my food yeah I'm not tipping you. Yes give me change. Bring it to the lobby you get 2 bucks. Bring it to my door 3 or 4 depending. Not so hard and fast with restaurants but definitely never more then 5 bucks

Yeah I'm probably a little cheap but people make their full hourly wage here if they get tipped or not. I order from local joints so they're never spending more then 50 cents on gas and it takes less then 10 min to get to me and as for dining in I think 5 bucks for having to deal with me for less then two minutes total of your day is pretty fair. You did me a service and I appreciate it and you got something out of it. Seems pretty right to me.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I tip based off of service and whether I feel like. I've never felt any sort of guilt over not giving away free money.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I tip based off of service and whether I feel like. I've never felt any sort of guilt over not giving away free money.

I can't say I don't tip but I have some flat rules about it.
1) Not percentage based. Just because I ordered something more expensive doesn't mean you did more work and I don't feel carrying a little extra food is worth that much.
2) Amount based on how well I feel taken care of. For delivery people if you make me go to the parking lot to pick up my food yeah I'm not tipping you. Yes give me change. Bring it to the lobby you get 2 bucks. Bring it to my door 3 or 4 depending. Not so hard and fast with restaurants but definitely never more then 5 bucks

Yeah I'm probably a little cheap but people make their full hourly wage here if they get tipped or not. I order from local joints so they're never spending more then 50 cents on gas and it takes less then 10 min to get to me and as for dining in I think 5 bucks for having to deal with me for less then two minutes total of your day is pretty fair. You did me a service and I appreciate it and you got something out of it. Seems pretty right to me.

Oh man, I agree with so much of this, especially the not percentage based part. I kinda have an internal cut off of how much I'm willing to tip. I agree that just because I'm ordering a more expensive meal doesn't mean I should be obligated to fork out more money, you're doing the same work.

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I agree with so much of this, especially the not percentage based part. I kinda have an internal cut off of how much I'm willing to tip. I agree that just because I'm ordering a more expensive meal doesn't mean I should be obligated to fork out more money, you're doing the same work.
If you come in with a larger amount of people and the work required by the server is increased, would you tip more?

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's pressure, peer pressure, all pressure. And I'm not tipping uber drivers unless they do something to really help me out.

Like at my job at lowes, customers are55nt expected to tip so they don't, but I'm regularly going above and beyond, doing shit like visiting an elderly persons home to help them clean stuff that fell from their attic. No tip because it isn't expected. In resturants it's forced, but across all industries it's arbitrary.

Last edited:

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I never tip. All they do is take my order and bring me food.

People at fast food restaurants do that same job and more and never get tipped.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Restaurants:
Bad service = 10%
Regular service = 15%
Good service = 20%
Exceptional service = 30%

Haircuts:
Bad haircut = $2
Regular haircut = $3
Good haircut or regular haircut near Christmas = $4-5
I get a great coupon = $4-5
(My normal haircut is $13)

I don't go to bars or buy alcohol so I can't really comment on that.

I do not tip for takeout. The COGS should cover that.

Tour guide - discretionary, usually ~ 20%. I've gone on a few tours or something like whitewater rafting or canoeing and the guide was phenomenal and deserved a great tip, so I gave one.

I hate tipping valets because I hate the concept of valet and places that force it are the worst.

Last edited:

The Giant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I specified Americans but this topic can be applied to anyone from any country with a large tipping culture. This is also primarily targeted at restaurant workers. I'm aware of large amounts of people who will just never tip regardless of the level of service provided to them. I'm just curious what your reason is and if there are any situations in which you would reconsider?

I want to foster healthy debate and discussion so no rude or snarky comments please!

Tipping is a shitty American thing. No other country has tipping. If they do it's minor and mainly aimed at American tourists.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we're still going to have the same tipping threads over and over here. Makes me feel right at home.

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017
My dad is a former waiter who always tips generously (20% at least unless things go really wrong, then he gives closer to 10%). My mom has told me that if I can afford an extra dollar or two that I shouldn't be stingy and if I really cared about money, I should buy fewer espresso drinks. So between those two influences, I rarely tip below 15% for dine-in. I generally leave $1-2 for takeout and 10% for delivery (if it's a service that charges me delivery fees; otherwise, I give 15%).

I do think tipping is fucked up in that restaurants use it as a reason to pay below minimum wage and it makes servers (particularly women and people of color) pretty vulnerable to assholes and bias. So I wish we could just pay servers a decent wage and do away with tipping. But until that point, I don't intend on changing tipping behavior.