• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Because I'm living on 150$ a month. Sometimes the guy who comes in and orders an 11$ donburi bowl can't scrape up anything more than the price on the bill. There should be no shame in that - there's certainly no insult.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think tipping is fucked up in that restaurants use it as a reason to pay below minimum wage and it makes servers (particularly women and people of color) pretty vulnerable to assholes and bias. So I wish we could just pay servers a decent wage and do away with tipping. But until that point, I don't intend on changing tipping behavior.

This. I dislike the whole concept.

But since it's the system we have and people rely on tips, I always tip. I'm not paying them extra only for what I unilaterally decide is good service. I'm just paying them, period. Someone has to get my order and bring the food over and they're doing that job. If we didn't have this system this amount would be figured into the menu items and the waiters would be paid a fair wage by their employer.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be cheap when I was a student. 10-15% depending on the price of the meal. Now 15% is basically the base. I read about that water refill guide on the last forum, and saw it mentioned here, I love that. If my water is empty all dinner, getting 10%. One refill, nice 15%, keep it full? 20% or more.

Now my question is, how do you guys treat expensive dining? Say, it's your BF/husband/GF/wife's birthday, you take them somewhere fancy. It costs $200 for you two. Service was great. Do you tip $40? if I'm eating out for $60 for two, sure $12 tip is reasonable. Should it scale?

15% is not just now a base. It was the base when I was a kid in the 90s. It's not a new percentage.

And yea, to me it scales. You don't just casually walk into a place where two meals cost $200. You factor that going forward. Not to mention that the sort of place that caters to that price point and above is also, usually, far picker about wait staff.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I legit can't remember whether or not I tipped when my mother and I ate at fogo de chao in DC few years ago

What is the norm anyway in US for ayce/buffets?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
They are doing their job and get paid for it. I don't tip my internet service provider, postman or supermarket cashier either.
I do tip in sit in restaurants if the service was pleasant and sometimes for deliveries, but never even close to "10%" or whatever artificial thing is considered. I round up so it's 1-2€. That said, it's obviously not in the US and our workers get paid somewhat fairly.

Diancecht

I'll never understand the reasoning behind tipping. I live in a country where tipping is ONLY acceptable if you receive an amazing service, like fucking award winning shit I am talking about. I also lived in the UK for 2 years people don't tip there either.

However, I do understand the fact that most of the service workers in the USA are underpaid but that's a problem with the system itself and by tipping, you are basically enabling that system the continue further. I am a masters graduate from the UK and I make around 480 dollars in my country per month, just above the 350 minimum wage. Millions of people read my reviews and articles per month and they ain't tipping me, dog.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I round up my taxi fair to the nearest £.

I only ever get taxis when drunk so I'm obviously a little more generous.

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
They are doing their job and get paid for it. I don't tip my internet service provider, postman or supermarket cashier either.
I do tip in sit in restaurants if the service was pleasant and sometimes for deliveries, but never even close to "10%" or whatever artificial thing is considered. I round up so it's 1-2€. That said, it's obviously not in the US and our workers get paid somewhat fairly.
Yup it's why I specified in the title

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
My dad is a former waiter who always tips generously (20% at least unless things go really wrong, then he gives closer to 10%). My mom has told me that if I can afford an extra dollar or two that I shouldn't be stingy and if I really cared about money, I should buy fewer espresso drinks. So between those two influences, I rarely tip below 15% for dine-in. I generally leave $1-2 for takeout and 10% for delivery (if it's a service that charges me delivery fees; otherwise, I give 15%).

I do think tipping is fucked up in that restaurants use it as a reason to pay below minimum wage and it makes servers (particularly women and people of color) pretty vulnerable to assholes and bias. So I wish we could just pay servers a decent wage and do away with tipping. But until that point, I don't intend on changing tipping behavior.

I'm not saying your wrong - just asking - what exactly makes it worse for women? I can understand people of colour, especially with deep rooted racism in America.

But in my experience in the UK, women tend to benefit in places where tips are commonplace. People are much more likely to tip just because it is a woman.

Oct 27, 2017
Why does cost of bill = extra tip anyways?

Taking me a steak entrée is the same workload as taking me a Hamburger.

I give a dollar for every 10 rounded up.

If the bill is 15. I give 2. If it's 10. I give 1. If it's 12. I give one. I don't give a shit if you dislike it.

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Why does cost of bill = extra tip anyways?

Taking me a steak entrée is the same workload as taking me a Hamburger.

I give a dollar for every 10 rounded up.

If the bill is 15. I give 2. If it's 10. I give 1. If it's 12. I give one. I don't give a shit if you dislike it.
Because they are taxed on if you left a 10% anyways fuck the system yes but still

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The problem I have with tipping culture is that not every job gets "tipped".

I wouldn't ever get a tip in my current role, but I still tip waiters and taxi drivers and food delivery drivers.

However, tipping culture in the US only exists because of a lack of a proper living wage. Tipping should only be for exceptionally good service, not a mandatory requirement because businesses don't want to pay people properly.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the UK so I don't think tips are "expected", but I do like to tip in restaurants for good service. My main problem is I never carry cash around, and while a lot of restaurants have card machines that allow tips to be added, there are a bunch that don't. And then I feel guilty for not tipping if we did get great service :/

Rezon

Oct 28, 2017
Why should I be responsible for paying someone's salary if I'm not their employer? Here in Iceland waiters often get offended by American tourists trying to tip, since they feel like it implies they are not being payed enough. Going to the U.S next month for PSX though, not sure how much, if it all, I will tip.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Oh man, I agree with so much of this, especially the not percentage based part. I kinda have an internal cut off of how much I'm willing to tip. I agree that just because I'm ordering a more expensive meal doesn't mean I should be obligated to fork out more money, you're doing the same work.
People doing the same work can earn wildly different wages (and pay wildly different rents) depending on where they live. Service in expensive restaurants is much more comprehensive too, and may require to pay for your own expensive clothes.
You and others are just being dicks not wanting to pay for a service, and the system is fucked making waiters have to beg and put up with sexual harassment and other disgusting abuse just to earn their money.
In civilized countries waiters make decent salaries, and tips are a small extra, not the bulk of the salary.

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never had a bad restaurant experience that warranted no tip and I've never never been anywhere particularly fancy or snobby enough to have listed what the appropriate tip amount should be. I don't think it's a big deal to give the waiter $5 for taking my order and bringing me the food.

Oct 27, 2017
Why not:

• Restaurants: 15% for good service, less or none for bad service. More if good service and I'm drunk.
  • Take-out: Flat $1 for most $2 for my usual spots. Big big orders get more.
  • Delivery: $3-5 for on time or early, less for late.
  • Bar: $1 per drink if I'm paying cash each time, or per order if I'm grabbing one for my wife or buddy too. If I'm running a tab, 15-20% for good service.
I'm just about the same except for the take out part and I usually start at 20% for sit down restraunts but I think I'll start doing that for my favorite places

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forced tipping is bullshit, the restaurant should just hide it in the price instead of the illusion of choice.

Being made to tip is just a slimy way to get around not paying their staff enough.

I'm not American but that's how I felt after seeing my UNO bill last month. Service was definitely nothing worth tipping!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why, but I usually feel guilty if I don't tip at least 20%. I usually tip the same amount when it's takeout...and I'll sometimes even tip extra if I know the person I'm out with is tipping low.

Also, I am a person who is notoriously taken advantage of because of my kindness, which has gotten me into trouble financially several times. I'm getting better though...

Last edited:

electricshake

Oct 27, 2017
I generally tip unless I don't get good service. Was in New York a couple of years ago and we got a lot of terrible service so didn't tip. If you can't be bothered to give me a menu, take my order or bring me drinks, why should I tip you?

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying your wrong - just asking - what exactly makes it worse for women? I can understand people of colour, especially with deep rooted racism in America.

But in my experience in the UK, women tend to benefit in places where tips are commonplace. People are much more likely to tip just because it is a woman.

Think about what female servers have to put up with in order to make that money. Women in the service industry are often seen as subservient and lower status than their customers, which makes them easy targets for harassment (sexual or otherwise). If they speak up or act angry, cold or offended, it very directly jeopardizes their ability to make their rent. Some men turn ugly and vindictive when a woman they think is beneath them acts critical of them, especially when they thought that they're being "nice".

From a study on sexual harassment in the restaurant industry (which looks at more than just harassment from customers and also has stats on men and transgender workers): http://rocunited.org/wp-content/upl...al-Harassment-in-the-Restaurant-Industry2.pdf

The highly sexualized environment in which restaurant workers labor impacts every major workplace relationship, with restaurant workers reporting high levels of harassing behaviors from restaurant management (66%), co-workers (80%), and customers (78%). Sixty percent of women and transgender workers and 46% of men reported that sexual harassment was an uncomfortable aspect of work life, and 60% of transgender, 50% of women and 47% of men reported experiencing 'scary' or 'unwanted' sexual behavior. Forty percent of transgender, 30% of women, and 22% of men reported that being touched inappropriately was a common occurrence in their restaurant.

Living off tips makes an industry already rife with sexual harassment even more dangerous. Women restaurant workers living off tips in states where the sub-minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13 per hour (hereinafter called '$2.13 states') are twice as likely to experience sexual harassment as women in states that pay the same minimum wage to all workers. Tipped women workers in $2.13 states reported that they were three times more likely to be told by management to alter their appearance and to wear 'sexier,' more revealing clothing than they were in states where the same minimum wage was paid to all workers. Conversely, tipped women workers in states that have eliminated the sub-minimum wage were less likely to experience sexual harassment. Importantly, sub-minimum wages impact all workers in the industry — not just tipped workers. All workers in states with a $2.13 sub-minimum wage, including men and non-tipped workers, reported higher rates of sexual harassment, indicating that the overall restaurant work environment is at least partially shaped by the sub-minimum wage system itself.

It is critical to contextualize the concept of 'living with' sexual harassment in the workplace as something different than consent. Our survey and focus group results show that most workers either ignore or put up with harassing behaviors because they fear they will be penalized through loss of income from tips, unfavorable shifts, public humiliation, or even job loss.