Non-US Survivor |OT| Even Maryland Has One

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Not just any Survivor, either... but Australian Survivor with its long-ass 90-minute episodes. For US Survivor that wouldn't really be much of an accomplishment as you're looking at substantially less footage - most of which is taken up by Probst's blathering.

In the battle of wannabe Contender villains, Andy flamed out spectacularly tonight... although he's been granted an opportunity to recalibrate so he can show that he has some semblance of understanding of how to play this game. I'm rather doubtful considering how big of a game he's talked up in confessionals. I'm expecting a spectacular pre-jury self-destruction at this rate.

Harry, on the other hand... well, that's an impressive "Oscar"-worthy play if he can invent an imaginary kid two weeks into the game and not have his former tribemates cry foul. Wonder what else he has up his sleeves or if he's just going to keep dipping into the Jonny Fairplay bag of tricks.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Andy was going to crash at some point, he was talking himself up way too hard.

Episode kind of ruined by the ep 6 preview saying it was going to be a blindside. Oh well, it was still quite fun. It was interesting they put out in the open the "drop the challenge to let your team-mates in the other tribe survive", quite bold, but probably makes him more attractive as a rogue agent for the Contenders. I guess the champion girls are very comfortable since they landed together in the same tribe, would had probably thought otherwise if some of them's future was on the line.

Intrigued about the season overall, and I feel like we will get a great post merge since they got rid of plenty of apparently boring characters so far.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't know ep 8 aired last week (ep 9 earlier today)

Really enjoying this section of the season, but not sure how to feel about the "steal" twist. In any case, how the idol switch saga has developed is fantastic, and I'm more than ready for the meltdowns already.

I feel like now is when I finally got a grasp on everyone. Took so long to get some Hana and Casey screentime.

Matt is such and idiot and pathetic, one of the ones less likely to win at this point, which seems crazy since he is physical but not a big target, but he is super unlikable. I don't know about Harry uncovering himself as a villain this soon? Maybe this actually make everyone see him as less of a threat? In any case, they really need to wake up and break up the champions female trio. Don't the other champions see how tight they are?

In any case, all the interesting action is probably in the new champions tribe, but not sure if we will see any of it with the powerhouse team they have now.Andy probably going to be the one that benefits the most from all this, since he can probably lay low and work as a number while the target is placed elsewhere.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm not sure that Matt understands how this game is played.
He's actually great casting by virtue of how impressively oblivious he is to the fundamentals of Survivor while still being thoroughly engaged in it.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that Matt understands how this game is played.
He's actually great casting by virtue of how impressively oblivious he is to the fundamentals of Survivor while still being thoroughly engaged in it.
Imagine if he had to face one of the 10 times bigger twists like Edge of Extinction.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo EP 10...

Was a 10. Whew the big plays in that tribal. The way nobodies plan worked out. Amazing. Andy had probably the best idea there (flushing the idols and breaking the power couple), but still, he ends up being the one in the worst situation right now.

Shaping up to be a good season and merge is potentially going to be a blood bath.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 10

No shortage of combustible elements in play here. So many alpha male egos chomping at the bit to take each other out that I have to imagine someone like Ross is going to go very deep.

It's a shame that Luke burned his idol needlessly (great job of production to focus in on his "will he/won't he play it" decision the way they did) but I think that he can persevere so long as he's able to make it to merge and untether himself from David.

Best case scenario for his game would be for the Contenders to lose at least once before merge, Janine to get idoled out courtesy of Harry and for him to hook back up with Abbey, Ross and Pia at the merge. The girls, in particular, will welcome him back as a number if their power trio is no longer a fixed commodity. That David shield he's been wearing will only hold out for so long.

Episode 11

Turns out none of those unknown Contender girls had much game to bring to the table as we lost Sam, Hannah and Casey in short order. Leaving us with 10 guys and just 4 girls (the Champion trio and Daisy).

Heading into next week both David and Janine still have idols to their name... although I believe Janine's idol effectively loses power come merge... which, one would suspect, is coming up shortly. Australian Survivor 3 went to merge with 11 people gone from the game; seasons 4 & 5 went to merge with 12 torches snuffed.

Last edited:

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing some of the big players will be voted off eventually? I'm kind of worried about about Luke at this point.

Also, letting David first on that reward was sooooo dumb. I'm actually impressed nobody said a thing.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 12

Probably my favourite episode of the season thus far.
Wonderfully edited. Wonderful outcome. Have no complaints whatsoever.

Curious to see how serious Pia's injury next episode winds up.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Non spoiler, but needs to be said. Start watching this season if you are on the fence, it's good.

Episode 12

Probably my favourite episode of the season thus far.
Wonderfully edited. Wonderful outcome. Have no complaints whatsoever.

Curious to see how serious Pia's injury next episode winds up.
Really great episode. The cast is amazing. The strong rivalries in the show could have turned mean and uncomfortable, but everyone seems to be a good sport about everything. And yeah, great editing. Some of the alst couple of episode relied to heavily in the shock factor at the end, or some outlandish idea, this one had great pacing and everything clicked perfectly. Harry is a heck of a player, he was great selling his pitch for the 2 champion guys, before and during the tribal.

Edit:
It always sucks when this happens, but it's part of the game.

Plenty of options and scenarios open at merge, let's see if they cna keep the fireworks going.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 13

That was probably the sweetest medevac in Survivor history. I mean, medevacs suck by nature but everyone loved Ross and he was such an uplifting and fun presence to the game and they all had the opportunity to say their farewells and he was just so thankful for the experience that you couldn't really feel all that down about it even though this was as nasty as game injuries can get.

Not to mention that they faked me out something fierce with that preview footage thinking Pia was going to slip and bash her head on a wooden post that I had literally just exhaled after holding my breath for her when Ross crashed and burned on that rope swing.

Merge is going to be fun with all of this season's big players still in the mix, a 6-6 Champion-Contender split, Shaun and David still looking to take each other out, a burgeoning alliance brewing between Dirty Harry and the Godmother's girls, Andy being the most transparent player imaginable no matter what he does and Luke waiting in the wings to creep his way to the Survivor title in true King of the Jungle fashion. We had our second post-exit "I want Luke to win" endorsement tonight, too.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 14

Andy is such a bad player, how can you say of yourself that you are one of the biggest strategists the show has ever seen and get voted off by the whole tribe without knowing.

And while I like the wrinkle of throwing David under the bus from an enterteinment perspective it shows very bad sportmanship. If you got outplayed, just own it.

Anyway, really liking the current playing field that allows players like Luke and Harry to do their thing while everyone else is overplaying.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 14

Andy didn't own any move he made all game... why would he start owning things now? A disloyal rat can't help being a disloyal rat. And it's fitting that he didn't even make jury after blundering his way through terrible gameplay spanning multiple tribal councils.

We have a number of obvious targets that will be in everyone's crosshairs in the short-term.

Power-tripping David (who will almost invariably go home with an idol in his pocket).

The challenge beast couple in Shaun and Daisy; the latter has better game instincts but will likely be undone by her paranoia before all is said and done.

The Godmother/Perfumed Scorpion CEO (Janine) and her coven. Abbey isn't cutthroat enough to win this game... but Pia sure is and has been given an especially strong edit this entire season. Not at all unlike what Shane received last year.

And then you have Dirty Harry (who was barely mentioned tonight - but was shown being observant by the camera crew constantly) and perennial favourite, Luke... who may be savvy enough to throw comps and will prefer to slink below the radar once the inevitable David shield gets cracked but may have trouble deflecting the jury threat target that will naturally blossom around him the longer he remains in the game. That said, his immaculate social game may trump any target that manifests around him... he'd be wise to bolster his social connections with Baden and Abbey over the next episode or two. He was working Pia hard tonight as well.

John is comedic window dressing (the immediate benefactor of the untimely Ross exit) and Simon is merely an easy challenge threat non-entity for a consensus vote out (outside of Abbey who will cry about it). At least he's started getting confessionals this week.