• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
The Champions tribe is definitely all aboard the SS Mateship, but hopefully the Contenders are out for blood.
Yeah, I have faith in the Contenders. I also think a few of the women on the Champs tribe could be good. Basically, I think the men on this season have the biggest dud potential.
At least two of them are gone already.

MJM

Oct 29, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Episode 3

Mo making her move! I don't like her because she plays for the team I hate, but I like the Survivor player she is becoming. Not sure about Jackie as a player, but she's alright. Also, them voting out Damien "ice cold" showed that they treated him just like any other player, which I can respect. I like Lydia Lassila so I hope she goes further too.

Jonathan still maintaining his excellent hosting too, while I haven't seen any other Survivor I'd find it hard to find a better non-Probst host than Jonathan LaPaglia.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is the point of a reward for a Vanity Mirror and cosmetics like 5 days in? Lol that seems really early.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell is the point of a reward for a Vanity Mirror and cosmetics like 5 days in? Lol that seems really early.[
/QUOTE]

What is this a spoiler for?

Australian?

Im a few hours behind the Australian Survivor so i try avoid this thread for the week and just come and dump at the end.

But I have to admit i didnt give Australian Survivor anywhere near enough respect.
Its actually damn good so far.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I am so confused by that post. I didn't put it in a spoiler? I thought it was kind of innocuous and plain to talk about. Are you saying it should have been in a spoiler?

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm making an attempt to get more people interested in Survivor Maryland. Why you shouldn't ignore it just because it's "another fan made survivor"

Survivor Maryland is played out with college kids on the campus of Maryland University. It takes place over a whole semester with the tribal councils being on a weekly basis.

What it lacks in production it more than makes up for with gameplay, character, and huge moments that you will remember. The biggest problem with a lot of the fan made Survivor's is that they're usually just a sped up game people play within a weekend or sometimes even a day. They don't really take it seriously and it's hard to really take it seriously as a viewer. With Maryland these are college students that are doing this over 90 days and seeing each other day in and day out. This show makes friendships and also completely destroys them. You get to know these players you get your favorites and the ones you hate because you get so much more from them than just a sped up version of the game where nothing but gameplay is basically happening. These kids take the game completely seriously, which is a huge difference I've seen from other fan made shows.

Currently there is an All-Stars season being released and is currently on a few week break while the final episode is edited together. This is the last season put together by Austin Trupp, who has been running this game for 5 seasons, and now he's graduated and he's passing the game on to other people.

The seasons:

Maryland Outback: This would probably be the best season outright, but it was still early on for the show and production wasn't the best. Austin hadn't had the complete idea of having the players film themselves whenever talking to other players and didn't have as many helpers to help filming yet. Still a lot of fun and crazy drama, but it's the best presentation.

Terrepin Trials: This season is amazing if you're in it for the characters and the story arcs. One of the most dramatic and emotional final 3 of possibly any Survivor. It'd easily be up there.

Guts & Glory: Probably the best all around season that isn't All-Stars. Production, editing is all great, gameplay and players are all great. This would probably be the best pick for a first watch.

All-Stars: Currently releasing. Amazing season with a ton of drama and gameplay. Only issue with jumping into this right away is there is a lot of interrelationship aspects that you'd kind of miss on. Austin does a decent job of recapping a lot of it, but there's just layers that can't really be conveyed without seeing the other seasons. Largely just Terrepin Trials and Gust & Glory are required watching before this season.

There's also the first season, but I've never seen it and I think at one point the whole season was even taken down just because production wise it's easily the worst. It's supposed to be a decent season, it's just a rough presentation all around and makes the viewing hard to suggest.

I seriously can't recommend Survivor Maryland enough. I tried tons of fan made Survivor's or Big Brothers and they were all bad with no real connection made. For the longest time I just assumed Survivor Maryland was another one of those, until Dom and Colin(then later RHAP) made a podcast about it and it made me finally take a look. This show is great and I'm shocked that some of these people have gone on to try to get on actual Survivor or someone hasn't tried to hire Austin, because the talent is all there. This game just needs some money thrown at it for production value and these season's would stick up there with the real game.

People who can convey why you should watch better than me:
How Survivor Maryland went from an 'epic' campus competition to must-watch Survivor - RealityBlurred
Survivor: Maryland – The Best Survivor You've Never Seen - InsideSurvivor
(podcast) Why you should watch Survivor Maryland - Dom and Colin Podcast
Survivor Maryland: The Online Reality Show That NEEDS To Be Your Next Obsession - TvFanatic
This sounds fun, great write-up. Gonna jump into the Outback season and see how I like it.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I am so confused by that post. I didn't put it in a spoiler? I thought it was kind of innocuous and plain to talk about. Are you saying it should have been in a spoiler?

Hahaha sorry my quoting skills arent quite up to snuff.

I just figured since the episode came out a few hours ago.
Maybe i should spoiler tag it.

But i duno if this thread is a spoiler zone.

AUS is so far ahead I figured some people might be up to a day behind whats going on in the episodes.

But i do agree.
Its like day 10 and such a reward seems alittle unnecessary(early).
Until i head lipbalm.....only then did I realize I could probably never play Survivor.....ive gone a week without lipbalm/vaseline.....and I legit was thinking what are lips actually good for....just cut them off.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling some kind of shenanigans on the immunity challenge. What was up with the Champs being able to pull their rope literally as soon as they get over the wall? The Contenders had their people over the wall for a while and still were hung up by the untying. Did Champs just start untying before everyone was over the wall? I tried to go back and see but literally they get everyone over and just start pulling immediately. Did I miss something?

Sam and Shonee are my favorites right now. I like Moana, but think she's too much of a standout this early on.

This sounds fun, great write-up. Gonna jump into the Outback season and see how I like it.

Awesome, just know going in you're going to be watching the second most rough season when it comes to editing and production. If you end up liking it but feel like you're missing too much of whats going on I'd suggest at least giving a try to Terrepin or Guts and Glory before thinking it's just a product of the show as a whole.

AUS is so far ahead I figured some people might be up to a day behind whats going on in the episodes.

But i do agree.
Its like day 10 and such a reward seems alittle unnecessary(early).
Until i head lipbalm.....only then did I realize I could probably never play Survivor.....ive gone a week without lipbalm/vaseline.....and I legit was thinking what are lips actually good for....just cut them off.

All good, I just figured it was pretty safe to leave open ended because it was so basic.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
3 eps into Survivor Maryland and this is very fun! First episode was rough but both the second and third had great votes. Definitely going to make my way through this show.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4

Oh, Steve. If only you had the game sense to match your entertainment value. Pulling a Jacob to start the game and then throwing your lot in with the huge manly dudes who are begging to be blindsided is not a great plan.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
3 eps into Survivor Maryland and this is very fun! First episode was rough but both the second and third had great votes. Definitely going to make my way through this show.

If you're liking it early on trust me when I say you will love the later seasons. Those first two seasons are so rough in that they have almost everything told through confessionals and often times doesn't even have actual tribal council back and forths. Later on you get to actually see a lot of the gameplay and the conversations and not just told what is happening. Austin, the guy who runs it, says if Outback was done the same way later seasons was handled it would easily be the best season though.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I think a Canadian-located Survivor season would be great, in theory, but in practice the liability would be too huge. The bottom line is that in the tropics, you can sleep virtually naked, and apart from bugs, all you need is a roof over your head. In Canada, in the height of summer, you still need clothes on your back to sleep and the water is ice-cold (and not nearly as clear as you see in Fiji). Off-season hypothermia and frostbite are unsolvable, and you just can't live off the land nearly as easily.

The shame to me is not going back to Australia itself - apart from that poor guy falling in the fire, Australia was a superb season so it was always a bit strange to hear that the actual Survivor: Australia wouldn't film there. (That being said, the economic logistics point strongly in favor of their current locations - not only is it cheaper but the governments there are eager to make deals given climate change problems.)

Jonathan still maintaining his excellent hosting too, while I haven't seen any other Survivor I'd find it hard to find a better non-Probst host than Jonathan LaPaglia.

He's really good, and he's taken Probst's angle of protecting the show now too. He not only doesn't take crap, but he angles questions in a way that props up the integrity of the format. It's really refreshing compared to the NZ and SA guys who can't really roar over the crowd.

About Survivor: Australia's second episode...
I agree with Russell. He had to keep the idol, because otherwise he would just have to find one next week. Ironically he caused so much chaos that even he couldn't guarantee the outcome.

And I don't think he was making a social game mistake; I think that ship had sailed because of his reputation. He had to know that he would be a marked target, and that any work he put into softening his personality would take weeks of the game (and unshaken alliances) to overcome. He was much better off forcing the tribe to split, establishing a majority that saw the safety in numbers. The real mistake was not recognizing the poker player and letting her establish a counter-group. Russell's original strong play in seasons past was that his disruptions were so powerful that other alliances either couldn't form, or couldn't reach consensus by the time of tribal council.

Incidentally I imagine the production crew is glad he's gone. The guy basically had a magnet in his head for idols.

MJM

Oct 29, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah it's the usual spoiler rules I'd say.

It doesn't really help that it's on 4-days-a-week so it's hard to discuss episodes on a daily basis, but it's also just as important to not spoil everyone.

Later in the season it won't be 4 days a week anyway (in previous years they've lowered the episode count later in the season), so it'll be easier to stay spoiler-free.

in saying that

I was sad Steve left, I think his overall gameplay was OK except for his horrendous start. He's kind of lucky that Matt was SUCH A TERRIBLE player and that he got another 6 days there. He did OK but in the ennd I think his shady beginning and his choice to align with the beefcakes is what did him in at the end. It would've made for MUCH better entertainment if he did somehow get an idol at that very first challenge. I can see them doing that in the next season, or something similar to it. We've already seen day1 advantages/idols in US Survivor many many times, so it wouldn't be that surprising.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I've watched the first six episodes of Australian Survivor 2016 and am enjoying it. It's nice to be able to watch them.

There's a surprising amount of episodes, though. Such long seasons...

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Survivor Australia S5 through 4 episodes...

I'd expect to be thrilled to see a Survivor season where men were the first 4 casualties in hopes of possibly seeing a do-over of Survivor Vanuatu but the men dropped thus far were such clear dead weight with no aspirations of winning that I can't get too excited about it. Most of the girls' personalities have yet to really shine through aside from Moana who I was a big fan of even before she secured an idol and started building up an alliance. I just hope she's able to persevere given so much focus early on.

I can already see Lydia being an absolute challenge beast post-merge if she doesn't get sniped by a bad tribe swap situation. She's quite the physical specimen.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Survivor AU CvC Episode 5:

Hmm, every episode makes me dislike Mr Muscleman Zach more and more. He's still insisting on the need to get rid of the girls, and while most everyone else is feeling bad abouting voting out Jenna he's talking about how great it is for her torch to be snuffed out.

Doesn't look like he does himself any favours next episode

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it's the usual spoiler rules I'd say.

It doesn't really help that it's on 4-days-a-week so it's hard to discuss episodes on a daily basis, but it's also just as important to not spoil everyone.

Later in the season it won't be 4 days a week anyway (in previous years they've lowered the episode count later in the season), so it'll be easier to stay spoiler-free.

in saying that

I was sad Steve left, I think his overall gameplay was OK except for his horrendous start. He's kind of lucky that Matt was SUCH A TERRIBLE player and that he got another 6 days there. He did OK but in the ennd I think his shady beginning and his choice to align with the beefcakes is what did him in at the end. It would've made for MUCH better entertainment if he did somehow get an idol at that very first challenge. I can see them doing that in the next season, or something similar to it. We've already seen day1 advantages/idols in US Survivor many many times, so it wouldn't be that surprising.

You should spoiler tag even older seasons. People will be coming into these late and we're discussing multiple different, entirely separate seasons. Always tag spoilers.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Australian Survivor 2016. Overall a pretty great season. I liked that they gave more time at tribe, but ultimately I think they gave maybe too much time and the whole thing was just way too long. Still, I'm impressed by the overall quality.

People said the ending was really good though and I'd disagree. I'm not happy with it.

I never saw Kristie as a potential winner throughout the season. What she did was not always sensible and while it did work out for her ultimately, it didn't appear to be the right choice. It seems like she rode along as a goat until the very end when people didn't want to vote for Lee for some reason. Lee played a solid game, forming a strong alliance and managing to control Kristie and others throughout the whole thing so that they stuck with him. Kristie said she was independent, and maybe so, but she always did what Lee wanted so that hardly matters. He brought her in and used her.

If anyone can shed some additional light on that I'd be really interested to hear it. I just don't understand how that all went down.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
These guys can't be serious can they? Going back to camp and trying to practice for a situation without the person you said you're trying to get back on your side after trying to vote them off?!

I seriously can't believe this lol

This mother fucker just dabbed while sliding.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
These guys can't be serious can they? Going back to camp and trying to practice for a situation without the person you said you're trying to get back on your side after trying to vote them off?!

I seriously can't believe this lol

This mother fucker just dabbed while sliding.

Australian Survivor
I think by that point they had completely given up on paige already.
So them doing the practice was effectively them just shoving it in her face that she dun goofed.

Next.
Do they not do medical evac for the Australian Survivor, cuz Jen should never have even been allowed back on the island.
Just a waste of a tribal.

I was really hoping something interesting would happen at tribal with Jen not being there.
Or better yet one of the girls pull an idol and plays it on Jen.

P.S Paige really does seem like the kinda girl who would be fun for a short time and then get really annoying and her being useless in challenges makes her being voted out even more logical.

P.P.S After the first episode I only now just realized that Miss Universe Australia(Monika) is still in the game they didnt even bother to show a small clip during the champions reward.
Is she gonna have the empty edit this whole season.

As soon as i start seeing her on screen, i know thats the episode in which she is going.

Fuck Australian Survivor is pretty hectic.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I never saw Kristie as a potential winner throughout the season. What she did was not always sensible and while it did work out for her ultimately, it didn't appear to be the right choice. It seems like she rode along as a goat until the very end when people didn't want to vote for Lee for some reason. Lee played a solid game, forming a strong alliance and managing to control Kristie and others throughout the whole thing so that they stuck with him. Kristie said she was independent, and maybe so, but she always did what Lee wanted so that hardly matters. He brought her in and used her.

If anyone can shed some additional light on that I'd be really interested to hear it. I just don't understand how that all went down.

Lee was one of the people that wasn't familiar with and didn't really understand the game. Nick and Matt have spoken about teaching Sam the game while it was going on, and while Sam eventually got it, Lee never did.

Lee was never actually in control of anything. He was part of a good alliance, and being on the winning tribe meant he didn't have to put much thought into the social side of the game for the longest time. When he did have a chance to make a move on those in his alliance he could never bring himself to do it. While Sam finally understood the game and made a move against someone in his alliance (Nick maybe? I don't remember), Lee still just didn't understand that this is how the game is played.

Lee thought he could play nice all the way through and thought doing otherwise was wrong, which is why he harboured a grudge against Sam for the rest of the game. He had made a few holier-than-thou comments towards the end (and presumably more we never saw), holding himself up a good, moral person. He also had a go at Jennah during one of the tribal councils when she mentioned the money and he was pretty aggressive about saying the money wasn't important which I think was probably the best(worst) example of him holding himself above the other players.

In the end, I think there were probably members of the jury (other than El) who would have voted for him, but Kristie was a superfan and she made a great argument at the final tribal council. Lee however, still didn't get it and so he was never going to be able to put forth a winning argument.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Lee was one of the people that wasn't familiar with and didn't really understand the game. Nick and Matt have spoken about teaching Sam the game while it was going on, and while Sam eventually got it, Lee never did.

Lee was never actually in control of anything. He was part of a good alliance, and being on the winning tribe meant he didn't have to put much thought into the social side of the game for the longest time. When he did have a chance to make a move on those in his alliance he could never bring himself to do it. While Sam finally understood the game and made a move against someone in his alliance (Nick maybe? I don't remember), Lee still just didn't understand that this is how the game is played.

Lee thought he could play nice all the way through and thought doing otherwise was wrong, which is why he harboured a grudge against Sam for the rest of the game. He had made a few holier-than-thou comments towards the end (and presumably more we never saw), holding himself up a good, moral person. He also had a go at Jennah during one of the tribal councils when she mentioned the money and he was pretty aggressive about saying the money wasn't important which I think was probably the best(worst) example of him holding himself above the other players.

In the end, I think there were probably members of the jury (other than El) who would have voted for him, but Kristie was a superfan and she made a great argument at the final tribal council. Lee however, still didn't get it and so he was never going to be able to put forth a winning argument.

That at least explains it. So basically...

The argument goes that Lee basically stumbled into the final tribal council and never really played at all, and so he was not deserving as he couldn't fully appreciate what it took to get there? I'm still not sure I buy that, because plenty of super fans do try to play moral games and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But if he came across as a holier-than-thou asshole to the jury, then I can see not wanting to vote for him.

I thought Kristie's final tribal performance was quite terrible. She often didn't answer the question and clearly doesn't know how to make an argument supporting herself. That said, I suppose I can live with her winning.

One last comment about AU 2016's final immunity:

I wasn't clear. Did Lee let Kristie win or did he lose in truth? I don't think I could have done what Kristie did, begging him to let her win. I guess I don't really know what kind of pain they must have been in though and the sheer amount of stress.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Australian Survivor S5 Ep5
Do they not do medical evac for the Australian Survivor, cuz Jen should never have even been allowed back on the island.
Just a waste of a tribal.
I wouldn't say that. If anything it was pretty damn emotional... and made for some good TV.

Jenna seems to be a name in Survivor lore tied to having heartfelt exits from the game.

I honestly wanted one of two outcomes from that tribal council.

I wanted Jenna to make a pitch for herself of how the tribes could be swapped tomorrow in which case wouldn't they rather have someone they trust on their side or at least someone expendable they could have as a shield - over someone who clearly has no allies and has no incentive whatsoever to remain loyal to her fellow Contenders in a swap scenario. Jenna makes that argument, perseveres and survives and then makes a deep run because that would have made for one hell of a comeback story and this would be her turning point episode.

Otherwise, I wanted to see them send her packing and for there to be a tribe swap in Episode 6 where Paige helps slit pompous Zach's big thick throat as he does that inane valley girl impersonation he trots out for her. That would have been fun, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a swap is in the cards, either. And I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised by that given the whole "team focus" instilled in a Champions vs. Contenders themed season. It doesn't portend to much in the way of pre-merge swap shenanigans.

As for the lack of a med evac call, I have to assume they would have pulled Jenna outright had there been a fracture. I'm sure we'll hear eventually whether her injury amounted to anything more than a severe sprain post-MRI.
P.P.S After the first episode I only now just realized that Miss Universe Australia(Monika) is still in the game they didnt even bother to show a small clip during the champions reward.
I was more surprised that they artfully dodged the whole "Jackie is lying about her career" angle with that champions' photo board. Did she supply a pic of her with a Rubik's Cube to keep up the charade of her not being a champion poker player?

Australian Survivor S5 Ep6

Is it just me... or is it a little brazen to be so forward in advertising that there's going to be a blindside in Episode 7 during your coverage of Episode 6's festivities? Perhaps they're trying to get us excited about some tribal councils with non-obvious boots for once.

The tribal immunity challenge victors have been largely telegraphed as well... although that's not at all uncommon with Australian Survivor given the volume of pre-challenge footage we receive each episode from camp. The editing thus far this year has been solid and straightforward... which I honestly don't mind.

I was happy to at least some penance for voting out Jenna with two challenges that her injury would not have impacted... a balance reward challenge that her entire tribe got smoked in and was never a contest and an immunity challenge where they could have locked her in a cage so she would not have been a liability. Not to mention Paige spilling her guts in terms of tribe alliances/dynamics to Mat. She wouldn't have been around to do that had they voted her out. The collective whining of Zach, Robbie and Benji clearly forced that rash decision that could prove costly.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
TIL Survivor SA is basically for $75k US.

Damn...

That's a bigger drop off than Canada BB to US Big Brother.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
That at least explains it. So basically...

The argument goes that Lee basically stumbled into the final tribal council and never really played at all, and so he was not deserving as he couldn't fully appreciate what it took to get there? I'm still not sure I buy that, because plenty of super fans do try to play moral games and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But if he came across as a holier-than-thou asshole to the jury, then I can see not wanting to vote for him.

I like players that try for a clean game and bring along worthy challengers rather than people they think they can beat, and respect players that can be sneaky and deceptive without being nasty. The problem with Lee was his hinking the others were bad sports, not realizing deceptive is a valid way to play. I liked him to start with, but he had a bit of a nasty judgemental side.

One last comment about AU 2016's final immunity:

I wasn't clear. Did Lee let Kristie win or did he lose in truth? I don't think I could have done what Kristie did, begging him to let her win. I guess I don't really know what kind of pain they must have been in though and the sheer amount of stress.

He didn't let her win. He was clear in interviews after the game that it was an honest mistake.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 6
Damn, sucks for Moana. But now next Monday is pretty much being advertised as "Zach finally eats it"

MJM

Oct 29, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Episode 5

That Tribal Council dragggggggged on. I didn't like Jenna and thought just hurryTF and vote her out. She's not even good!

Episode 6

Poor Mo, just when I was starting to like her and her gameplay. Shane was being "smart" up until she wasn't. I'm not sold on sarcastic/funny geeky guy yet but I don't mind him. I'm going for Lydia. And yes, can't wait for Zach to get his comeuppance but holy shit is Anita terrible...

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I really do think AU Episode 5 belongs in the history of overall best Survivor moments.

Why? Perfect music, total drama, and an emotional examination of an aspect of Survivor that has gone unquestioned for decades: should an injured player be immediately voted out?

Obviously, to us at home, she had to go. She wouldn't even be able to participate in physical challenges or the final 3 event. She can't swim, she's basically sitting out of any non-puzzle role.

But socially, this is perfect: we have someone who cannot win. Who cannot even compete...but is a valuable alliance number. The safety valve elimination if they have no choice. I'd argue that if the Contenders had more players, the girls would be far more willing to keep her, since they could sit her out or post her to the lowest impact job every challenge.

Yes, if they want to win challenges, it hurts. Maybe it dooms the tribe. But the "Russell" argument here is that the tribe is already broken. The girls and guys are already at the breaking point. I haven't seen Ep6 yet but you get the feeling they will soon aim at one of the big guys, even if their strength is a huge challenge advantage. So it brings up the point that maybe, just maybe, there *IS* a point where keeping Jenna would make sense.

I think the Girls knew that, to an extent, and tried REALLY hard to justify it. But eventually, they couldn't. Their numbers were down, they were hungry, and another week of Paige/guys was more appealing than losing the next food reward. So they choked down the waterworks and unanimously voted her out. My wife and I were shocked Jenna came back - hell, that the show would even pay for the return helicopter - but there was a point in the tribal council where we were convinced she wasn't going home!

So yeah, if you just treat it as a physical problem, sure, the episode is a drag. But if you look at it as that crossing point between the physical and social games, it was an all-timer.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I really do think AU Episode 5 belongs in the history of overall best Survivor moments.

Why? Perfect music, total drama, and an emotional examination of an aspect of Survivor that has gone unquestioned for decades: should an injured player be immediately voted out?

Obviously, to us at home, she had to go. She wouldn't even be able to participate in physical challenges or the final 3 event. She can't swim, she's basically sitting out of any non-puzzle role.

But socially, this is perfect: we have someone who cannot win. Who cannot even compete...but is a valuable alliance number. The safety valve elimination if they have no choice. I'd argue that if the Contenders had more players, the girls would be far more willing to keep her, since they could sit her out or post her to the lowest impact job every challenge.

Yes, if they want to win challenges, it hurts. Maybe it dooms the tribe. But the "Russell" argument here is that the tribe is already broken. The girls and guys are already at the breaking point. I haven't seen Ep6 yet but you get the feeling they will soon aim at one of the big guys, even if their strength is a huge challenge advantage. So it brings up the point that maybe, just maybe, there *IS* a point where keeping Jenna would make sense.

I think the Girls knew that, to an extent, and tried REALLY hard to justify it. But eventually, they couldn't. Their numbers were down, they were hungry, and another week of Paige/guys was more appealing than losing the next food reward. So they choked down the waterworks and unanimously voted her out. My wife and I were shocked Jenna came back - hell, that the show would even pay for the return helicopter - but there was a point in the tribal council where we were convinced she wasn't going home!

So yeah, if you just treat it as a physical problem, sure, the episode is a drag. But if you look at it as that crossing point between the physical and social games, it was an all-timer.

I just hated it because I didn't care. Literally knew nothing about her, game-wise, other than her injury. My only interest was the Paige side of things. Was she so disliked or mistrusted that they'd vote her out over this injured person? Even then it was barely compelling to me.

Now if we saw someone like Moana in that position at this point? I'd feel a lot differently because we've seen what she's doing, what she wants to do and had a lot more time spent on her. With Jenna we only got this injury.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Really bummed to see Moana go, but I felt like her edit was heading toward a somewhat early out.

With the amount of talk about cross-tribe chit chat, I'm really surprised we're not getting a swap yet.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I was hoping we would be able to get through this season without a fake vote off.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
S1 of the current Aussie Survivor (2016) has a frustrating move that only makes sense once FTC arrives.
Kristie voted out Flick at F4 because El won immunity. She couldn't vote out Lee because he was the only person she could beat. She just couldn't say that at the time.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I think a Canadian-located Survivor season would be great, in theory, but in practice the liability would be too huge. The bottom line is that in the tropics, you can sleep virtually naked, and apart from bugs, all you need is a roof over your head. In Canada, in the height of summer, you still need clothes on your back to sleep and the water is ice-cold (and not nearly as clear as you see in Fiji). Off-season hypothermia and frostbite are unsolvable, and you just can't live off the land nearly as easily.
A summer on a west coast beach would be doable. Canada could have a Survivor.

There's a TV show called Alone. It's a wilderness survival show and their season 4 was filmed on northern Vancouver Island.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
A summer on a west coast beach would be doable. Canada could have a Survivor.

There's a TV show called Alone. It's a wilderness survival show and their season 4 was filmed on northern Vancouver Island.

I see what you mean, but Survivor is ultimately not a physical survivor show - it's a psychological battle. The physical survival standards are considerably less because most of your energy is burned dealing with other people and participating in challenges. (And of course the usual mix of models and fans per casting)

Pretty much unless you can live in swimwear and eat off the land without extreme difficulty, Survivor won't consider it. Vancouver Island's rainforest status really wouldn't fly without extreme prep from the production team, such as the China season.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Heath to not tell anyone about his idol and to not try and be too cute in trying to keep hold of it.

The way Zach was acting just at tribal, I'd have to guess it was pretty obvious the votes were going toward Heath.

If you have 7 votes you aren't thinking about splitting them at all?!

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Heath to not tell anyone about his idol and to not try and be too cute in trying to keep hold of it.

The way Zach was acting just at tribal, I'd have to guess it was pretty obvious the votes were going toward Heath.

If you have 7 votes you aren't thinking about splitting them at all?!
No real way to split the votes there considering you have 2 seperate tight 3's and one loner.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
No real way to split the votes there considering you have 2 seperate tight 3's and one loner.

Yeah, I guess not. I don't really know who the guys would want as a second option, or if Anita wasn't that second option. I actually thought it was setting up for there to be a tie between Zach and Anita with it showing Fonella so strongly for Zach.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Australian Survivor S5 Episodes 7-8

In many ways, it felt like the game finally started with these two episodes. I'm also fairly confident that Tegan is coming back seeing how they teased disaster in her showdown against Anita so blatantly in the preview for next week.

Was happy to see Heath orchestrate a correct idol play (these seem few and far between these days). Will be fun to see them get revenge on Benji provided he's not able to weasel himself out of harm's way. If Heath was paying attention following his idol play, Benji's face easily gave himself away.

Loving the ongoing Zach-Paige dynamic. It's still playing out under the radar and I am hopeful she will be the one who ultimately sends his pompous ass out of the game.

Fantastic camera work these past couple episodes. Editing has been rock solid as well.

As for who I'm backing to win the game right now? Consider me on Team Sharn.

MJM

Oct 29, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Australian Survivor S5 Episodes 7-8

In many ways, it felt like the game finally started with these two episodes. I'm also fairly confident that Tegan is coming back seeing how they teased disaster in her showdown against Anita so blatantly in the preview for next week.

Was happy to see Heath orchestrate a correct idol play (these seem few and far between these days). Will be fun to see them get revenge on Benji provided he's not able to weasel himself out of harm's way. If Heath was paying attention following his idol play, Benji's face easily gave himself away.

Loving the ongoing Zach-Paige dynamic. It's still playing out under the radar and I am hopeful she will be the one who ultimately sends his pompous ass out of the game.

Fantastic camera work these past couple episodes. Editing has been rock solid as well.

As for who I'm backing to win the game right now? Consider me on Team Sharn.

I loved it. The Fenella sequence was pure bait for the viewers too. My only comment to your comment regarding "Benji's face" is that he could've made that face 30-60 minutes before Heath actually played the idol, and they just edited it to look like he made the face then and there. But yeah, great camera work and good direction. Ep 8 was a really strong episode I thought.

Fenella is a sneaky chance on the Contenders side, and for the Champs I'm still on Lydia train, she is AWESOME.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 9

This was one of those episodes where they don't even bother pretending anything else could possibly happen and it's delicious.

MJM

Oct 29, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Episode 9

This was one of those episodes where they don't even bother pretending anything else could possibly happen and it's delicious.

100% Agreed. I loved it.

Now, I've only ever seen it happen once but I would've loved for them to edit in and show ALL of the votes before Jonathan read them out (I think Erik vote-out in FvF was the episode where they did this, and IIRC it's never happened again).

Last night's episode was the perfect opportunity for that sort of editing.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm only half way through the episode, but just looking at the numbers can you really say it's a lie what Benji said?

Who are the pair going after then if not those girls? They've talked the whole time about keeping the tribe strong, and Heath is strongly with the guys? So who did they plan on targeting? Who besides Paige and Anita were ever talked about?

Maybe it's the editing, but so far this whole situation is handled horribly by Benji and crew. Just standing around awkwardly and barely saying shit.

He can't even take ownership of his own move?! What the hell is wrong, this dude suddenly acts like he just can't talk at all.

Terrible.

Last edited:

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
So I'm only half way through the episode, but just looking at the numbers can you really say it's a lie what Benji said?

Who are the pair going after then if not those girls? They've talked the whole time about keeping the tribe strong, and Heath is strongly with the guys? So who did they plan on targeting? Who besides Paige and Anita were ever talked about?

1. Of course what Benji said was a lie. He even says to the camera that he's told many lies. He's happy to describe himself as a puppet master in confessionals, but can't bring himself to own it in front of the other survivors.

2. Zach. Were it not for Benji's lie then the girls would have voted the same as Tegan and Zach would have been out earlier.

Also, was anyone else as disgusted as me at the way Benji was eating those nachos?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
1. Of course what Benji said was a lie. He even says to the camera that he's told many lies. He's happy to describe himself as a puppet master in confessionals, but can't bring himself to own it in front of the other survivors.

2. Zach. Were it not for Benji's lie then the girls would have voted the same as Tegan and Zach would have been out earlier.

Also, was anyone else as disgusted as me at the way Benji was eating those nachos?

Yeah, it's still a lie that they were voting for Anita at that tribal. But I mean all the way up to that tribal the only real names that kept coming up were Anita and Paige. They kept coming up but things kept changing. I can't believe that there isn't one instance they can't point at and say "These two were going for Anita and Paige".

Not trying to say it isn't a lie, so much as there should be ways to work around it and make it not look like so much of a lie, but the dude could not talk for shit. He couldn't even own up to his own damn plan.

Really terrible.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The lie was "These two are going after Anita, Shonee and Fenella." Paige was never part of that group, and the girls never had a problem with voting for her.

Yeah, but you're taking the literal thing said and acting like there is no way to talk around it. Anita was talked about being the head of the girls and was a target right? If she was talked about in that way it wouldn't be much of a stretch to take that as the girls in general are targets. Paige being a part of it has nothing really to do with it, I'm just saying you can again point to her as being a target which is the truth.

The point isn't to make your entire lie believable, but to make enough aspects around the lie believable that the lie doesn't matter all that much anymore.

The dude just didn't try anything. He acted like he didn't even say it. Like it wasn't his plan. Then he tried to talk around the lie as if it wasn't his plan and he was meaning something different.

He just came off as a bumbling idiot. Yes what he said was a lie, but there was enough truth to infuse in it that I feel it could have been talked around.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Yes what he said was a lie, but there was enough truth to infuse in it that I feel it could have been talked around.

This is wrong.

The plan, prior to Benji's lie, was that the boys were voting for Anita, and the girls for Zach. Heath would vote with the boys despite knowing they didn't have the numbers, purely to keep them on side. Tegan would vote with the girls and Zach would be the one to go.

There was never any plan from Heath and Tegan to get rid of the girls one by one. There was no truth to Benji's claim and thus there was nothing to build on once Tegan was back and it was all exposed.