• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Not just any Survivor, either... but Australian Survivor with its long-ass 90-minute episodes. For US Survivor that wouldn't really be much of an accomplishment as you're looking at substantially less footage - most of which is taken up by Probst's blathering.

In the battle of wannabe Contender villains, Andy flamed out spectacularly tonight... although he's been granted an opportunity to recalibrate so he can show that he has some semblance of understanding of how to play this game. I'm rather doubtful considering how big of a game he's talked up in confessionals. I'm expecting a spectacular pre-jury self-destruction at this rate.

Harry, on the other hand... well, that's an impressive "Oscar"-worthy play if he can invent an imaginary kid two weeks into the game and not have his former tribemates cry foul. Wonder what else he has up his sleeves or if he's just going to keep dipping into the Jonny Fairplay bag of tricks.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Andy was going to crash at some point, he was talking himself up way too hard.

Episode kind of ruined by the ep 6 preview saying it was going to be a blindside. Oh well, it was still quite fun. It was interesting they put out in the open the "drop the challenge to let your team-mates in the other tribe survive", quite bold, but probably makes him more attractive as a rogue agent for the Contenders. I guess the champion girls are very comfortable since they landed together in the same tribe, would had probably thought otherwise if some of them's future was on the line.

Intrigued about the season overall, and I feel like we will get a great post merge since they got rid of plenty of apparently boring characters so far.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't know ep 8 aired last week (ep 9 earlier today)

Really enjoying this section of the season, but not sure how to feel about the "steal" twist. In any case, how the idol switch saga has developed is fantastic, and I'm more than ready for the meltdowns already.

I feel like now is when I finally got a grasp on everyone. Took so long to get some Hana and Casey screentime.

Matt is such and idiot and pathetic, one of the ones less likely to win at this point, which seems crazy since he is physical but not a big target, but he is super unlikable. I don't know about Harry uncovering himself as a villain this soon? Maybe this actually make everyone see him as less of a threat? In any case, they really need to wake up and break up the champions female trio. Don't the other champions see how tight they are?

In any case, all the interesting action is probably in the new champions tribe, but not sure if we will see any of it with the powerhouse team they have now.Andy probably going to be the one that benefits the most from all this, since he can probably lay low and work as a number while the target is placed elsewhere.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm not sure that Matt understands how this game is played.
He's actually great casting by virtue of how impressively oblivious he is to the fundamentals of Survivor while still being thoroughly engaged in it.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that Matt understands how this game is played.
He's actually great casting by virtue of how impressively oblivious he is to the fundamentals of Survivor while still being thoroughly engaged in it.
Imagine if he had to face one of the 10 times bigger twists like Edge of Extinction.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo EP 10...

Was a 10. Whew the big plays in that tribal. The way nobodies plan worked out. Amazing. Andy had probably the best idea there (flushing the idols and breaking the power couple), but still, he ends up being the one in the worst situation right now.

Shaping up to be a good season and merge is potentially going to be a blood bath.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 10

No shortage of combustible elements in play here. So many alpha male egos chomping at the bit to take each other out that I have to imagine someone like Ross is going to go very deep.

It's a shame that Luke burned his idol needlessly (great job of production to focus in on his "will he/won't he play it" decision the way they did) but I think that he can persevere so long as he's able to make it to merge and untether himself from David.

Best case scenario for his game would be for the Contenders to lose at least once before merge, Janine to get idoled out courtesy of Harry and for him to hook back up with Abbey, Ross and Pia at the merge. The girls, in particular, will welcome him back as a number if their power trio is no longer a fixed commodity. That David shield he's been wearing will only hold out for so long.

Episode 11

Turns out none of those unknown Contender girls had much game to bring to the table as we lost Sam, Hannah and Casey in short order. Leaving us with 10 guys and just 4 girls (the Champion trio and Daisy).

Heading into next week both David and Janine still have idols to their name... although I believe Janine's idol effectively loses power come merge... which, one would suspect, is coming up shortly. Australian Survivor 3 went to merge with 11 people gone from the game; seasons 4 & 5 went to merge with 12 torches snuffed.

Last edited:

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing some of the big players will be voted off eventually? I'm kind of worried about about Luke at this point.

Also, letting David first on that reward was sooooo dumb. I'm actually impressed nobody said a thing.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 12

Probably my favourite episode of the season thus far.
Wonderfully edited. Wonderful outcome. Have no complaints whatsoever.

Curious to see how serious Pia's injury next episode winds up.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Non spoiler, but needs to be said. Start watching this season if you are on the fence, it's good.

Episode 12

Probably my favourite episode of the season thus far.
Wonderfully edited. Wonderful outcome. Have no complaints whatsoever.

Curious to see how serious Pia's injury next episode winds up.

Really great episode. The cast is amazing. The strong rivalries in the show could have turned mean and uncomfortable, but everyone seems to be a good sport about everything. And yeah, great editing. Some of the alst couple of episode relied to heavily in the shock factor at the end, or some outlandish idea, this one had great pacing and everything clicked perfectly. Harry is a heck of a player, he was great selling his pitch for the 2 champion guys, before and during the tribal.

Edit:
It always sucks when this happens, but it's part of the game.

Plenty of options and scenarios open at merge, let's see if they cna keep the fireworks going.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 13

That was probably the sweetest medevac in Survivor history. I mean, medevacs suck by nature but everyone loved Ross and he was such an uplifting and fun presence to the game and they all had the opportunity to say their farewells and he was just so thankful for the experience that you couldn't really feel all that down about it even though this was as nasty as game injuries can get.

Not to mention that they faked me out something fierce with that preview footage thinking Pia was going to slip and bash her head on a wooden post that I had literally just exhaled after holding my breath for her when Ross crashed and burned on that rope swing.

Merge is going to be fun with all of this season's big players still in the mix, a 6-6 Champion-Contender split, Shaun and David still looking to take each other out, a burgeoning alliance brewing between Dirty Harry and the Godmother's girls, Andy being the most transparent player imaginable no matter what he does and Luke waiting in the wings to creep his way to the Survivor title in true King of the Jungle fashion. We had our second post-exit "I want Luke to win" endorsement tonight, too.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 14

Andy is such a bad player, how can you say of yourself that you are one of the biggest strategists the show has ever seen and get voted off by the whole tribe without knowing.

And while I like the wrinkle of throwing David under the bus from an enterteinment perspective it shows very bad sportmanship. If you got outplayed, just own it.

Anyway, really liking the current playing field that allows players like Luke and Harry to do their thing while everyone else is overplaying.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 14

Andy didn't own any move he made all game... why would he start owning things now? A disloyal rat can't help being a disloyal rat. And it's fitting that he didn't even make jury after blundering his way through terrible gameplay spanning multiple tribal councils.

We have a number of obvious targets that will be in everyone's crosshairs in the short-term.

Power-tripping David (who will almost invariably go home with an idol in his pocket).

The challenge beast couple in Shaun and Daisy; the latter has better game instincts but will likely be undone by her paranoia before all is said and done.

The Godmother/Perfumed Scorpion CEO (Janine) and her coven. Abbey isn't cutthroat enough to win this game... but Pia sure is and has been given an especially strong edit this entire season. Not at all unlike what Shane received last year.

And then you have Dirty Harry (who was barely mentioned tonight - but was shown being observant by the camera crew constantly) and perennial favourite, Luke... who may be savvy enough to throw comps and will prefer to slink below the radar once the inevitable David shield gets cracked but may have trouble deflecting the jury threat target that will naturally blossom around him the longer he remains in the game. That said, his immaculate social game may trump any target that manifests around him... he'd be wise to bolster his social connections with Baden and Abbey over the next episode or two. He was working Pia hard tonight as well.

John is comedic window dressing (the immediate benefactor of the untimely Ross exit) and Simon is merely an easy challenge threat non-entity for a consensus vote out (outside of Abbey who will cry about it). At least he's started getting confessionals this week.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
So.. this may be the best season of Survivor ever? David is a legitime legend of the game. Luke, one of the most likable and deserving of the prize money ever. "Dirty" Harry is incredible tv. John, I can only assume, is the Austalian Everyman every male viewer can relate to. Baden, the same thing but for the outcast who proves he can do more than meets the eye. The Godmother Janine has been thoroughly enjoyable TV amidst her feud with Harry. Same with David and Shaun, which finally came to a head this episode. So amazing David came out on top with an idol still in his pocket.

I'm so in love with the 2017 season, but with my horse blinders off, I'd say pound for pound this is a better season overall up to this point. Pia winning, which seems more and more likely, may bring this down a bit for me if that is the end result, but overall I'm just so in love with this season. Ready for more tomorrow!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 15

I wouldn't be so down on Pia winning it all if she impresses all the way through to the end the way she has through the first month of the game. Hell, I expected her to cave first off in that immunity challenge tonight only for her to tough it out past 4 other competitors. Girl's got fight... although I suspect she'll need to take out Janine herself in order for it to be a satisfying winner resume.

The immediate David-Shaun showdown was hardly unexpected (although it was thrilling to see it come down to the two of them to win the immunity necklace) but the early salvo by Dirty Harry against Luke was a "game recognizes game" play I wasn't expecting given how quiet Harry had been post-merge.

Janine has herself positioned as the power broker of the game capable of swinging multiple votes as she sees fit. That dynamic will remain firmly in place until it's challenged. It's going to be interesting to see where David's focus shifts now that the constant distraction of Shaun that has permeated through his game since the fake idol swap has been removed from the equation.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 16

Everything played out more or less as expected tonight... but it still made for some quality TV thanks the Australian Survivor's production team doing its damnedest to capture every aspect of the inevitable David blindside being played out for maximum suspense. Just think... if this was Survivor Season 40, we'd see David wander off to some Edge of Extinction to stew for a bit, send game-influencing rewards to Luke and then win his way back into the game on the final episode. Wouldn't that be swell?

Hey US Survivor producers... take some advice from Janine and "keep it simple, stupid!"

Now that the inevitable tap dance between Shaun and David has played out we can finally transition into the next chapter of this game with both of them removed from the equation. Right now, the edit would have us believe that only 4 potential winners remain in Janine, Harry, Luke and Pia. I don't want to write Daisy out of the equation completely from at least getting 2nd... and the others (Baden, John, Simon, Abbey) seem to just be along for the ride where they'll influence votes and the outcome of the game but not necessarily contend in a serious fashion.

That said, I'm always game to be surprised. Season 4 blew my mind with a tribal council for the ages when its game opened up at Final 9 two years ago... with that wacky 3-2-2-2 vote that sent Tessa packing. Whether or not this season can open up in similar fashion remains to be seen. It's going to require some of the fodder to step up as surprise game players, Pia and Janine to be willing to take shots at each other and/or some creative gameplay from wannabe mastermind Harry outside of some respectable self-preservation moves.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Episode 16

Everything played out more or less as expected tonight... but it still made for some quality TV thanks the Australian Survivor's production team doing its damnedest to capture every aspect of the inevitable David blindside being played out for maximum suspense. Just think... if this was Survivor Season 40, we'd see David wander off to some Edge of Extinction to stew for a bit, send game-influencing rewards to Luke and then win his way back into the game on the final episode. Wouldn't that be swell?

Hey US Survivor producers... take some advice from Janine and "keep it simple, stupid!"

Now that the inevitable tap dance between Shaun and David has played out we can finally transition into the next chapter of this game with both of them removed from the equation. Right now, the edit would have us believe that only 4 potential winners remain in Janine, Harry, Luke and Pia. I don't want to write Daisy out of the equation completely from at least getting 2nd... and the others (Baden, John, Simon, Abbey) seem to just be along for the ride where they'll influence votes and the outcome of the game but not necessarily contend in a serious fashion.

That said, I'm always game to be surprised. Season 4 blew my mind with a tribal council for the ages when its game opened up at Final 9 two years ago... with that wacky 3-2-2-2 vote that sent Tessa packing. Whether or not this season can open up in similar fashion remains to be seen. It's going to require some of the fodder to step up as surprise game players, Pia and Janine to be willing to take shots at each other and/or some creative gameplay from wannabe mastermind Harry outside of some respectable self-preservation moves.
So far this has been my favorite season of Australia Survivor and easily the best of any US Survivor season I've seen probably in 10 years.

As far as episode 16 goes....

The episode was playing out as planned and the whole time I was thinking to myself, David is going to find out somehow and play his idol, it can't be this easy. I even thought there was a possibility he would play it all the way up to the vote. Like, UberTag said, hats off to the production team, they did a great job keeping you in suspense. I like Dave but he just got too cocky and full of himself and it was time for him to go. I'm just concerned for Luke at this point(My favorite to win). I think with everyone knowing he's a strong candidate to win the game if he makes final 2 or 3, the target is going to be on his back next, especially since he was connected to Dave. I also think Harry could pull off a big move and shake the game up. Right before merge he was getting lots of screen time but since then he's been quiet, at least thanks to the edit.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Daisy is such a bad player, lmaooo.

Pretty sure they will get rid of one of the 3 champion girls next tribal, so not very worried. But yeah, those champions are playing it super safe. Why did they split the vote, tho? That was so unnecessary.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My undoubtedly incorrect predictions for the game the rest of the way...

8th - Dirty Harry (Unanimous Vote)
7th - Godmother Janine (4-3 Vote | Daisy-Baden-Luke-Simon Blockade Against the Champion Women)
6th - Simon (Challenge Threat Vote Out | Simon Wins Previous Two Immunities for a 3-Immunity Streak | Abbey Cries a Lot)
5th - Abbey (Car Winner Curse Strikes Again)
4th - Luke (Too Big of a Jury Threat)
3rd - Baden (Heroic Effort to Win Final Immunity Falls Just Short)
Runner-Up - Daisy (Delivers a Jury Performance That Makes Amanda Kimmel Look Good by Comparison)
Winner - Pia (Wins by a Vote of 7-2)

Last edited:

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
XWA2gYY.png

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Is S5 suppose to air sooner? I remember reading something that it would possibly air early next year rather than next summer?

Yeah, but we don't know when exactly it will air yet. People are speculating March-April start date. They should already be about 5+ days into filming the season.

plBfxM9.jpg

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I normally would be mad about doing an all stars season this soon, but their casting is so strong tha tI'm not even mad.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I just have the feeling this twist will play out in the most disappointing way.

Also, kind of down in the final stretch of the season, are they ever going to break appart the 3 champion girls? Although maybe it's a clear top 2 + Abbey, and she somehow finds a spine along the way and takes one of them out before it's too late?

I'm also intrigued about Simon's end game? He has no one to work with.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 18

Some players are simply bad at Survivor and don't think ahead to an end game. Just think they can get by with the alliance they have and then comp beast their way to the end if needed.

Simon isn't exactly working with Abbey... but she will have reservations about voting him out for sentimental reasons. Maybe he thinks he has a better relationship with Janine than we've seen. Frankly, I'm shocked to even see him start gaming out of nowhere tonight in his effort to try and get Luke out and outwardly voicing reluctance at Janine's strong-arming of the decision making process.

Incidentally, I think Janine will have to go down as one of the more impressive winners of the game we've seen if she manages to hang on until the end. Her game actually reminds me quite a bit of Brian Heidik's in terms of game management... albeit one with far more gracious confessionals. I love everything about her approach to the game.

Abbey is clearly the intended Final 2 goat on the Champion side although I'm not sure she's aware of her intended role... or whether that's made clear to her in the next episode compelling her to act. It is the kind of thing that Harry would be all too happy to point out in an effort to save his skin and avoid getting sent to Exile to fight it out in a duel against Daisy.

Season 5 Spoilers

Not sure how I feel about this cast.

The Season 1 returnees are kind of a bust outside of Phoebe. The last thing I ever want to watch is Lee Carseldine play Survivor again... unless he has to stand on posts with his hand on an idol in utter torture for hours to get back on the show and then fail. THAT I could watch. Nobody gives a rat's ass about seeing Brooke avenge her betrayal by Flick. No one even remembers that happened.

The Season 2 male returnees are all gold... although it begs the obvious question of "why the hell did you bring back Luke THIS season if an All-Stars was on the table immediately afterwards". The women I'm ambivalent about... Jacqui has potential if she's on the cast. Michelle was good TV, I suppose. But damn, it's a bummer they couldn't get Tessa, Ziggy or Anneliese. Tessa was screwed over in one of the most remarkable tribal councils ever and Anneliese got sniped by Ziggy's super idol. Bring THEM back instead of Flick and Brooke.

Which brings me to Season 3 because we could have had Benji back to play with his sister (although I suppose their respective returns could be saved for a Blood vs. Water season). They're both great players. Happy to see Jenna (if she's back) and Moana play again as they deserve the opportunity to play the game without being taken out by physical ailments. So does Ross from this year but it doesn't look like that's in the cards (and given the quick turnaround in taping that shouldn't come as a surprise). Plus, I adore Sharn... even if she did flub that final tribal. Not sure I need to see Zach play the game (badly) again, though... I suppose they needed a physical meathead to offset Lydia. Mat, Sam, Heath and Shonee are all fine choices as well.

Now to Season 4... and I really have to wonder if these spoilers have telegraphed the current season any given the absence of returnee winners. Because, if so,
we're not seeing Daisy or Harry pull this out for the Contenders. Not like they've been earmarked as likely winners or anything but it could ruin some suspense if they happen to make it all the way to Final 2. David is great television and would benefit the most from these players not having watched this season and his many mastermind confessionals. In much the same way Russell Hantz benefited from Heroes vs. Villains taping before Samoa aired. Of course, the same could be said for Harry and... if Andy is there... they can have a decoy wannabe mastermind to take the heat off the both of them.

What may be more of a winner spoiler about the season in progress is who didn't get invited back that would have been a lock for an All-Stars season invite? Do the Final 2 get disqualified from eligibility given that their final tribal council votes haven't been read yet and one of them may have won? Would Luke have passed up a chance to play in an All-Stars season? Would they have not asked Janine if she lost? Did they only invite John back so he could talk about chicken parma some more? So many mysteries.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they have Luke on for this season because family situation prevents him from being on after this.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 19

As usual, Harry figured out what buttons needed to be pushed in the interests of self-preservation. He's been very mindful of how he's perceived at every stage of this game and has demonstrated a number of different Survivor skill sets. I equate his game to how a Richard Hatch would have played Survivor if he was down in numbers perpetually and had to play Survivor from behind. It helps quite a lot that he's able to differentiate what to lie about and with whom as opposed to simply lying relentlessly like a Russell Hantz. Lying about a fake kid named Oscar to forge critical social connections to deflect a target isn't something a jury will hold against him. He probably would have played that angle longer had Janine not had his number early on.

He also has an exceptional read of how people are perceived within the group and within the jury itself. Great Survivor players always take the time to sit back and listen as opposed to talking relentlessly. Always love how he sits back and invites folks within the numbers to explain to him how they plan to get further in the game. He's always gathering intel and seeking to put people in positions where they'll be comfortable in volunteering it regardless of their respective circumstances within the game. I suspect Harry's attempts of doing this with Simon largely led to dead ends which is why he didn't exactly put up much of a fight when Abbey elected to shift the target away from Janine. I mean, hey, Simon wasn't workable and everyone else has got to go at some point so sure... of course, he'd be on board. Fixating on eliminating a specific threat over all others is always a fatal error in Survivor.

Harry's been very forthright and honest about most of his game moves and he owns everything. His only real weakness has been the lack of forging genuine social connections (outside of probably Matt) but that probably plays to his strengths as he hasn't put himself in a position to slice anyone's throat where they'll take it personally and hold it against him. And people that align with Harry seem to have a way of getting their torches snuffed instead of him so it's not like one can develop strong social bonds in that dynamic anyhow.

Last edited:

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 19

As usual, Harry figured out what buttons needed to be pushed in the interests of self-preservation. He's been very mindful of how he's perceived at every stage of this game and has demonstrated a number of different Survivor skill sets. I equate his game to how a Richard Hatch would have played Survivor if he was down in numbers perpetually and had to play Survivor from behind. It helps quite a lot that he's able to differentiate what to lie about and with whom as opposed to simply lying relentlessly like a Russell Hantz. Lying about a fake kid named Oscar to forge critical social connections to deflect a target isn't something a jury will hold against him. He probably would have played that angle longer had Janine not had his number early on.

He also has an exceptional read of how people are perceived within the group and within the jury itself. Great Survivor players always take the time to sit back and listen as opposed to talking relentlessly. Always love how he sits back and invites folks within the numbers to explain to him how they plan to get further in the game. He's always gathering intel and seeking to put people in positions where they'll be comfortable in volunteering it regardless of their respective circumstances within the game. I suspect Harry's attempts of doing this with Simon largely led to dead ends which is why he didn't exactly put up much of a fight when Abbey elected to shift the target away from Janine. I mean, hey, Simon wasn't workable and everyone else has got to go at some point so sure... of course, he'd be on board. Fixating on eliminating a specific threat over all others is always a fatal error in Survivor.

Harry's been very forthright and honest about most of his game moves and he owns everything. His only real weakness has been the lack of forging genuine social connections (outside of probably Matt) but that probably plays to his strengths as he hasn't put himself in a position to slice anyone's throat where they'll take it personally and hold it against him. And people that align with Harry seem to have a way of getting their torches snuffed instead of him so it's not like one can develop strong social bonds in that dynamic anyhow.
Yep, reammy impressed with Harry, he is a fantastic player. Who would have thought he would have been the last contender remaining if the mafia family plan worked today. I wasn't sure on now being the moment to pull the move as opposed to do it when there isn't the urcentaty of someone coming back, but I guess the new 4 alliance can stay strong independently of who comes back.

Props to Abbey for having the guts to pull a move, and on top of that, towards Simon, but I think Harry is the one that is oging to get the credit from that one.

I really like that I can see a road to the win for almost everyone remaining (not ocunting Daisy and Simon) and I'm really looking forward to see how it plays out.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Great challenge and great ep. That puzzle didn't seem that difficult, but daaamn, they were really struggling. I loved how in the first half of the episode they were interwining the events and deals going on with the motivation from the big players. Also, I'm guessing the family visits will be saved for the last episode again?

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Ugh, my source for getting the episodes has vanished. Last one they posted was episode 18. What episode are they on now?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Ugh, my source for getting the episodes has vanished. Last one they posted was episode 18. What episode are they on now?
Episode 21 was just aired. So you're three episodes behind. Hopefully you can isolate a new source without too much trouble.

Speaking of which...

Episode 21 Spoilers

I will be so pleasantly surprised if Pia doesn't coast to the end and the win at this point. As much as I've commended this season's production values - and I do consider it to be one of the best produced seasons ever - I worry that they've been so over-the-top in telegraphing the Pia winner edit that they've taken away all the suspense from how the end game plays out. Would they really go all out like this just to distract/serve her up as a decoy from a Luke win? I'd like to believe that's the case... but I don't.

That said, I'm thrilled that Harry was able to claim the Godmother's scalp to bolster his resume before getting his torch snuffed. He's outlasted even my expectations and he's really set up well as a front-runner for next season given his tenacity and ability to adapt to all manner of tribe dynamics and situations.

FYI, this finish is going to suck eggs if we somehow get down to a Baden/Abbey Final 2.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Episode 22 Spoilers

I'm honestly not sure that Luke had any way to play that advantage better than he did. He had the self-awareness to recognize that he can only win by comp-beasting the rest of the way to the end irrespective of any social connections/alliances he's worked to establish. He knew that Abbey was his primary threat to keeping that streak alive (irrespective of the fact that she has yet to win a challenge). She was the one professional athlete remaining. Baden and Harry have yet to win any challenges and Pia only won a comp which was specifically attuned to favor those with a low body weight/BMI.

He also knew that Harry was aware of this fact as well and would want to keep Abbey in the game as a weapon to threaten his immunity streak and could not be relied upon not to vote out Baden if he sent Pia to safety with the advantage for that reason. So he evacuated Baden and then intentionally magnified Harry's target as a decoy by having private conversations with Pia and Abbey to make it look like he was the target. Abbey misconstrued this as them still being "Champions strong" to take out Harry which steered her vote off Pia, Harry's vote was thus rendered irrelevant and Luke got out his desired target in a way that earned him mad jury props.

It's just a shame that as effectively as that was executed it's likely that it was all for naught as we seem destined for a Final 4/3 Luke exit and what will now be perceived as a "gifted" win to Pia who will be the benefactor of Janine, Luke and about as favorable an edit as one could hope for from the Endemol Shine Australia production team. I really want to see Pia win this on her own merits but it's going to be hard to glean that takeaway after she was blindsided on Simon, blindsided on Janine and then gifted a free pass tonight. That's three straight tribal councils of late-game relevance (outside of the formality of the post-Exile Simon execution which is a non-entity) she's had ZERO sway over the outcome. Luke was making this play tonight irrespective of any footage we saw in tonight's episode to sell the viewer on her working him.

You shouldn't win a Survivor title with so minimal influence on the key tribal councils leading up to the end. Even Chris Underwood put more work in to win his Survivor prize. So I hope to hell Pia wins that Final 3 immunity and blows everyone's socks off in that final tribal council to earn it.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 22 Spoilers

I'm honestly not sure that Luke had any way to play that advantage better than he did. He had the self-awareness to recognize that he can only win by comp-beasting the rest of the way to the end irrespective of any social connections/alliances he's worked to establish. He knew that Abbey was his primary threat to keeping that streak alive (irrespective of the fact that she has yet to win a challenge). She was the one professional athlete remaining. Baden and Harry have yet to win any challenges and Pia only won a comp which was specifically attuned to favor those with a low body weight/BMI.

He also knew that Harry was aware of this fact as well and would want to keep Abbey in the game as a weapon to threaten his immunity streak and could not be relied upon not to vote out Baden if he sent Pia to safety with the advantage for that reason. So he evacuated Baden and then intentionally magnified Harry's target as a decoy by having private conversations with Pia and Abbey to make it look like he was the target. Abbey misconstrued this as them still being "Champions strong" to take out Harry which steered her vote off Pia, Harry's vote was thus rendered irrelevant and Luke got out his desired target in a way that earned him mad jury props.

It's just a shame that as effectively as that was executed it's likely that it was all for naught as we seem destined for a Final 4/3 Luke exit and what will now be perceived as a "gifted" win to Pia who will be the benefactor of Janine, Luke and about as favorable an edit as one could hope for from the Endemol Shine Australia production team. I really want to see Pia win this on her own merits but it's going to be hard to glean that takeaway after she was blindsided on Simon, blindsided on Janine and then gifted a free pass tonight. That's three straight tribal councils of late-game relevance (outside of the formality of the post-Exile Simon execution which is a non-entity) she's had ZERO sway over the outcome. Luke was making this play tonight irrespective of any footage we saw in tonight's episode to sell the viewer on her working him.

You shouldn't win a Survivor title with so minimal influence on the key tribal councils leading up to the end. Even Chris Underwood put more work in to win his Survivor prize. So I hope to hell Pia wins that Final 3 immunity and blows everyone's socks off in that final tribal council to earn it.

Uhm, I see what Luke was trying and it worked, but it was done in such a convoluted way. It Would have been simpler to do it without the scrambling? Whoever got 2 votes from him and whoever else he aligned with, was out. Worst case scenario would be:

Harry and Abbey are voting for Pia, Luke and Pia vote for Abbey. This creates a tie where only Luke and Harry can vote. Harry either changes his vote for Abbey or he gets eliminated because he would be the only one taking a rock. This does work independently of what Abbey and Harry vote, eliminating the unnecessary scrambling. I guess this makes the tribal look cleaner and can add to the resumé. Flashy tribal, but not really necessary. I guess they could be protecting themshelves from a potential immunity idol, but doing the numbers would confir that there cannot be an immunityidol because it could create the situation were everyone is immune.

On the episode side of things, I'm glad they kept doing the background stories, with the perspectives for each player; creates a good preparation for the episodes right before the finale. Also, the dominos challenge is one of my favourites, everyone really has a shot at winning this one, plus it creates really good drama when someone either failes to connect or drops pieces at the very last second

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, I see what Luke was trying and it worked, but it was done in such a convoluted way. It Would have been simpler to do it without the scrambling? Whoever got 2 votes from him and whoever else he aligned with, was out. Worst case scenario would be:

Harry and Abbey are voting for Pia, Luke and Pia vote for Abbey. This creates a tie where only Luke and Harry can vote. Harry either changes his vote for Abbey or he gets eliminated because he would be the only one taking a rock. This does work independently of what Abbey and Harry vote, eliminating the unnecessary scrambling. I guess this makes the tribal look cleaner and can add to the resumé. Flashy tribal, but not really necessary. I guess they could be protecting themshelves from a potential immunity idol, but doing the numbers would confir that there cannot be an immunityidol because it could create the situation were everyone is immune.

On the episode side of things, I'm glad they kept doing the background stories, with the perspectives for each player; creates a good preparation for the episodes right before the finale. Also, the dominos challenge is one of my favourites, everyone really has a shot at winning this one, plus it creates really good drama when someone either failes to connect or drops pieces at the very last second
Because there were only 4 it would have automatically gone to fire if there was a tie.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Are these on any legal us streaming services? Been watching older survivor series on Hulu to pass the time

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Episode 22
So finally got caught up(thanks SoleSurvivor ). Wow, what a good time for Luke to go on a immunity challenge win streak. Hopefully he can pull off winning the next 2 because that's the only way I see him making it to the end and winning at this point. I thought he executed the advantage really well. He knew Abbey was his biggest threat in the challenges and he had to get rid of her. 2 contenders and 2 champs left! It should be a fun ending to a great season.

I'm going to assume next week is the finale?

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
That was such an emotional epsiode. I really loved how they took a moment to show the tension happening right before the challenge started.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Godspeed you absolute legend

A Survivor Legend indeed. Gutted right now after watching that episode. I knew he'd have to win out to have a chance but part of me thought Pia would force a tie there and return the favor, after Luke saved her in the previous tribal council but she needed Luke gone if she's going to have a chance and I think she definitely wins it if she makes final 2.

Also watched the Jury Villa episode and hearing Abbey talk about how she would have never gunned for Luke even if he didn't win immunity....yeah, somehow I don't believe that lol.

Edit:
Looks like Luke is going to win some money to help him and his family out. Someone setup a GoFundMe page for him and it's already crossed $200k.
LINK

Last edited:

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, Australian Survivor really nails the final immunity challenges, not afraid of making them painful endurance competitions that go for a looooong time.

More than satisfying season finale. Ideally it would have been Harry vs Pia, but that superb Pia FTC was unbeatable. Nice for Baden to win that challenge, but his shot at wining was close to zero since final 6 more or less.

Great season anyway, full of memorable characters. Really impressed by Luke being able to recreate the magic from his first season and props to Harry, Pia and Janine killing it.

Some non spoilery words for the once not watching or on the fence... Go watch it. Solid season with memorable characters and very disputed overall, despite the a little bit obvious winner edit. Worth the ride, IMO.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, I'm going to check out Australian Survivor and want to start with the one that people love so much, S2(?), just to be clear, is this the 2017 season? Thanks!