• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well I edited because I realized virtue signalling was mostly seen as a pejorative.

Obviously it isn't about me, but it still seems ridiculous. I just hope I live to see the day that someone not wanting to perform in front of white people is seen as the same as someone not wanting to perform in front of black people. I get black oppression and white privilege is a thing, but I don't think this type of attitude helps improve anything, especially when it's an artist putting their work out there to the public world. It generalizes an audience of individuals, white or otherwise.

But of course I'm reacting to a deleted tweet and there's more nuance to this story that I'm not yet aware of, so I'll just but out.
Instead of it being binary between being offended and dismissive and walking out because you claim to not get it why not put a modicum of effort into understanding the issue? You claim you're sensitive to the plight of black women yet your first instinct is to dismiss the concerns and feelings of a black woman because you felt offended. Thats what's ridiculous.

This is one article on it, there are others:

Huh? I don't understand. You mean Era needs to sit down and understand our concerns more in regards to very real & Black issues like this?
Similar to the TransEra discussion between moderation and members of the community I imagine. On common problems in threads and the elements that the community have to put up with that leads to members of it either shying away from threads about them and their issues, or having to endure a ream of dismissive, insulting or condescending comments. It was said that similar would be extended to other minority communities in the forum that have long-since been putting up with the same/similar, and a staff post detailing the changes enacted and proposals going forward is still pending.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I understand her frustration but I also think she could look at it from the perspective of: who should be paying attention to what a black woman has to say the most? And I think that's white people.
White person take on it but if the white people at her crowds are dropping the n word it doesn't seem like they are taking away the best message, correct me if I'm wrong though. It sounds like they are partaking but they might not necessarily be listening?

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
She's staying true to herself and I dig. I couldn't imagine being cool with it either.

for music created by a black artist to be consumed by mostly white audiences is definitely be frustrating as hell.

but then you can't say you don't want white people consuming your music or coming out to your shows, so you consider quitting it altogether. I understand.

What I'm unsure of is if she wants to walk away from not so much because her fans are white or if it's because her fans are white AND "shit on her" as she says.

I think that regardless, she just doesn't want to perform in front of a sea white faces, and I get it.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Similar to the TransEra discussion between moderation and members of the community I imagine. On common problems in threads and the elements that the community have to put up with that leads to members of it either shying away from threads about them and their issues, or having to endure a ream of dismissive, insulting or condescending comments.

So here's my thing about that and how it applies to this No Name thread. If they want to address how to handle obvious racism on the forum, they got to be ready to take the criticism.

It won't be a good decision and highly uncomfortable for anyone not Black. I and a lot of other people don't bother posting because of this. Even in this very thread I see it's like clockwork.

If the mods & Era wanna do Black folks better they know where we are.

Anyway No Name, speaks from a place of understanding. If white folks wanna say it's reverse racism, which doesn't exist because of societal power structures more power to them. I doubt they won't see a warning or ban about expressing that in this thread

Apr 21, 2018
This sounds like you think black people should be called racist the same way white people are without taking any nuance of societal/structural racism into account

Of course not, but it just seems weird to me to create music/art that people or certain races aren't allowed to relate to or enjoy. I never interpreted art, publicly sold and consumed art, as having those restrictions. I don't really know the artist in question, but ultimately it's her choice and up to her how she views her work. I just find it silly and defeatist to quit music because you are unhappy with the race of your audience.

I was exposed to Tupac at a very young age and while I enjoyed the melodies and music, it actually kind of opened my eyes to a history I wasn't fully aware of, straight from the person himself. It hit me. And maybe there are white and Asian and middle eastern people who grew up in unfortunate situations who can relate to that in their own way, who knows. Should I have not gone to his concert or bought the album? If I went to the concert and unbeknownst to me the majority of the crowd is white, should I leave or feel guilty or be comfortable with the artist being unhappy I came?

I'm not saying it's wrong. The artist can do what they want, when they want, how they want. They want to end their career and tell their fans it's because of them, sure. Do it. Just seems like the least constructive way possible to make positive change or to improve the very situation they are upset about.

Edit - this has nothing to do with reverse racism, which isn't real.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
More experiences and thoughts on the issue:
I remember the rage I felt the first time I heard a white woman rap along with French Montana using the N-Word. Or the time I almost got into a fight with another white woman at Coachella who was loudly saying the N-Word repeatedly. I felt anger. I felt betrayed. And I felt like I wasted my money. As it turns out, what felt like an incredibly isolating experience was one that I shared with other Black women.
Once the opening acts took the stage, everyone just let loose. It didn't matter if they were saying the N-Word. They did not care. From what I could tell, I was the only Black person around. And I felt almost as if I was validating their presence. It was really uncomfortable.
I think that's just the Black experience in America, right? It's a constant internal conversation with yourself: I deserve to be here. I'm not going to let this nonsense ruin my time, ruin my mood, ruin my self esteem. It's automatic, but it's exhausting.

So here's my thing about that and how it applies to this No Name thread. If they want to address how to handle obvious racism on the forum, they got to be ready to take the criticism.

It won't be a good decision and highly uncomfortable for anyone not Black. I and a lot of other people don't bother posting because of this. Even in this very thread I see it's like clockwork.

If the mods & Era wanna do Black folks better they know where we are.

Anyway No Name, speaks from a place of understanding. If white folks wanna say it's reverse racism, which doesn't exist because of societal power structures more power to them. I doubt they won't see a warning or ban about expressing that in this thread
That's understandable. It's not my place to suggest what solution would be appropriate. I'm only speaking to something that was set up regarding issues like that which I mentioned within threads around the trans community, it was within a private Discord and moderated by a third party that both sides trusted. FeistyBoots was a part of it and believe it was what she was referring to. Obviously the proof is in the pudding and that's still largely in the oven, so we'll see. Didn't mean to imply the impetus for that should reside with yourself or others in the community, apologies if it came across that way.

Last edited:

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
America is predominantly white. It's unavoidable to encounter large swaths of white folks if you're a successful artist performing in America.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I guess I can understand why she feels that way but idk how I'd feel if I was a white fan and going to her shows knowing she doesn't want to perform, those going to her shows are supporting her.

Hopefully she doesn't have to retire or quit and can figure out a way she can perform at places with more minorities.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
I don't see any workable solution to her dilemma that would be in anyway legal or non-discriminatory.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
when I go to work, thousands of white people scream the word nigga at me. and no I'm not changing my art so it is what it is. catch me

Never really considered before if rappers feel uncomfortable about something like this. I'm not black but I could easily imagine being put off and your enthusiasm being destroyed by this being shouted at you by thousands upon thousands of people were the context of the word changes entirely by them gleefully using the opportunity as an excuse to scream it.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never really considered before if rappers feel uncomfortable about something like this. I'm not black but I could easily imagine being put off and your enthusiasm being destroyed by this being shouted at you by thousands upon thousands of people were the context of the word changes entirely by them gleefully using the opportunity as an excuse to scream it.

Have you ever seen the clip of the white girl who Kendrick brought up on stage last year?

And her initial reaction to being stopped was: "Am I not cool enough for you? What's up, bro?"

Shit, man. She unloaded that clip like it was nothing.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of understand where she's coming from but I still find it kind of ridiculous. If she's saying people feel the same way but only do it for money then why not do a cheap venues in more black dominant areas? Maybe a free promotional tour if it's not about money. If it is about money, then take any fan you can get.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Have you ever seen the clip of the white girl who Kendrick brought up on stage last year?

And her initial reaction to being stopped was: "Am I not cool enough for you? What's up, bro?"

Shit, man. She unloaded that clip like it was nothing.

Well I live in a somewhat diverse city, but the people who go to nightclubs and bars here are mainly white. Kanye West's Gold-digger plays a lot and everytime it gets to the N-word the entire nightclub ALWAYS screams it out loud.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As I read through this thread it's become more and more apparent that Era's progressiveness is at odds with a it's ability too understand the complexities of race let alone the concept of coming to terms with ones blackness.

So many times I've typed and deleted threads/post anticipating the reaction and surely more times than none I was right on my intuition.

Noname is saying what many larger black artists know is true but don't deal with because revenue is god. It's complex and hits at the core of what it means to be black, have a platform, and realize that your message is not getting to your people because of a socio-economic destabilization that existed long before you. Stress....

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Noname is literally such a breath of fresh air. I discovered her on Spotify months ago and was hooked ever since. She's so early in her career, It makes no sense to quit now.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kanye West's Gold-digger plays a lot and everytime it gets to the N-word the entire nightclub ALWAYS screams it out loud

Yeah, in my old age, shit like that makes me leave. I just don't have the energy for that. I get why people think it's cool, and they're just vibing. But, man, it just ain't for me.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Racism
This is just being racist with extra steps.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As I read through this thread it's become more and more apparent that Era's progressiveness is at odds with a it's ability too understand the complexities of race let alone the concept of coming to terms with ones blackness.

So many times I've typed and deleted threads/post anticipating the reaction and surely more times than none I was right on my intuition.

Noname is saying what many larger black artists know is true but don't deal with because revenue is god. It's complex and hits at the core of what it means to be black, have a platform, and realize that your message is not getting to your people because of a socio-economic destabilization that existed long before you. Stress....
Not even going to front I see some things on the timeline and i pray it doesn't cross streams. I hate "I don't see color" school of thought because it erases history and idenentiy that must be understood to see where a marginalized person is coming from.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I can definitely understand her discomfort. I've had the same thoughts watching some of these performances from music artists and comics making black community jokes (That is, jokes that really only mean something inside our community and can be easily misunderstood by those outside) and rapping with certain words and themes to mostly white audiences. I would feel hella weird. I'd be shocked if she was the only one that felt this.

But as she said, people close their eyes and think about the bag of money they get I guess. For some, they'll feel like they were living in Spike Lee's movie Bamboozled.

edit: I see BlackERA is on the same page and in solidarity here. 👌🏾

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Being in a venue and being around a large group of white people singing the N-word is wack as fuck

I remember watching Beyoncé's Coachella performance with my girl and being put off by the crowd loudly singing it when she was performing 'Sorry'

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't know who she was until I open this thread, but man reading that title is hilarious.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood how rappers reconcile with this when they go on tour.

I'd feel like I was being used and made fun of, not enjoyed as an artist.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine putting your heart into something, trying to craft a message to a specific audience, trying to be their voice. Then it falls on tone deaf ears who only superficially like your music while the audience you targeted doesn't even show up to give you the time of day.

I don't blame her. I'd be frustrated too, and if she values that connection over the fame/income that's fine. Her choice.
this x10000

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I 100% agree. Her problem is really with the industry here. When youre on the festival circuit of course the prices are gonna be too high. Maybe theres a workers coop solution for artists that want to play to lower income audiences. Only thing i feel weird about is how does she feel about brown people like myself that enjoy and relate to her music?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That'd still weigh on me, and that bag ain't changing that.

I'm not these folks minstrel show
Don't want to be part of the Dusty Duo with me? I'll be Sleep n' Eat. You can be Mantan. We can make bags.

untitled-article-1450106422.jpg

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially a bunch of white people who feel like it's okay to shout slurs, I imagine.

From the outside, her complaints seem completely understandable. And yeah, there is a good bit of white fragility in this thread. Dismissing her concerns as if they're the authority on what's acceptable to black people, in a thread about a black artist, is pretty fucked.

It's really not hard to listen instead of handwaving away racism.

Black Era in a nutshell.

I'd never heard of her before this, though, so I'm rectifying that right now as I work write tonight.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Yeah, just like sporting events poorer people are usually priced out of attending in major cities. I don't think that she minds white people at the show. Its just kinda depressing and maybe psychologically defeating being a black person and performing in front of a homogenous sea of white people.

I was looking at Lakers tickets the other day and saw it was like $100 for nosebleed seats. Who the fuck is going to pay that when you have bills to pay?

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
I don't believe she should quit. You may give your passion and people may laugh at you but nothing is for naught. There is still much she can do.
I 100% agree. Her problem is really with the industry here. When youre on the festival circuit of course the prices are gonna be too high. Maybe theres a workers coop solution for artists that want to play to lower income audiences. Only thing i feel weird about is how does she feel about brown people like myself that enjoy and relate to her music?
Yeah, her demographic outreach is severely impacted by the industry. It limits her potential on who hears her message.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be curious to hear how Rakim or some of the other MC's that didn't build a career that was defined by the use of the N word feel. reading thru this thread one common theme is the use of that word.
It's disrespectful for whites to go to a concert and say that word... but that simple thought process is some how missed!!!!
Yet, education to the people by lyrically going around that word or evolving from that word could help.
Or you can use your platform to say your part. Noname it seems in the end opted for the later and nothing wrong with that.
Just curious how other mc's feel about walking away.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not great. If I was white and a fan of hers I would probably be pretty upset to know that me being those combinations of things at her show pissed her off.
I think its more the dumb-asses that think they have the *right* to say the n-word because "its in the song" Idiots like that will never not be frustrating as hell and I can't blame her for being frustrated that a bunch of entitled white folks are yelling the N-word at her concerts. If white people are bummed out by this guess what hold other white people accountable for that shit.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm white and when I hear someone who's not black say the N word in any context my blood runs cold and I have to look around to make sure I'm not the only one in shock. Even if it's in a song or whatever just stop saying it, ESPECIALLY in public. It really isn't that difficult.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be curious to hear how Rakim or some of the other MC's that didn't build a career that was defined by the use of the N word feel. reading thru this thread one common theme is the use of that word.
It's disrespectful for whites to go to a concert and say that word... but that simple thought process is some how missed!!!!
Yet, education to the people by lyrically going around that word or evolving from that word could help.
Or you can use your platform to say your part. Noname it seems in the end opted for the later and nothing wrong with that.
Just curious how other mc's feel about walking away.

What the fuck is this?

Oct 28, 2018
Definitely appreciate the fact that she's being honest and sticking to her beliefs. I don't necessarily agree with her outlook on this, and I think she's missing out on an opportunity to educate and engage with her audience in a productive way, but I respect it.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Cmon white people, bite your tongue or just hum along when that word drops. I thought this is something that most white people pick up the first time their black friend checks them like Dre did to Em.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having to naivate through systems and cultures that you didn't build, you don't get much input in, and told on a daily basis you don't belong. White people rather they acknowledge or not have a whole country that is FUBU, and don't ever have to feel like an outsider. That shit is tiring, and when you want to retreat to a place filled with people that grew up like you, that look like you, you are then told you are being racist for not giving everything you are to a majority that doesn't care let alone value you and what you been through. All that is about 100000x for Black Women, and yet they still rise and carry on. So i can't fault one for just going "Fuck this shit I am out", carrying the weight of the world should be a choice not a requirement

Oct 31, 2017
Cmon white people, bite your tongue or just hum along when that word drops. I thought this is something that most white people pick up the first time their black friend checks them like Dre did to Em.

"When did the rules change?", basically

Eminem became the most popular white rapper in the world and never said any version of the n word in any of his mainstream songs. But at some point, white people seemingly collectively agreed saying nigga around random black people is ok because it's in the songs, bro

Even Kendrick Lamar censors himself during certain performances but people with white privilege can't understand the idea that there is a time a place for everything i.e. don't say nigga around random black people as if racism is so over with and we can all just laugh about the past or some shit