• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figure people here are smart enough to not fall for this, but a company called Njordspil is selling fake NES Classics and just being super weird in general. I definitely recommend not buying anything from them, and to that extent I will not link to their site. They seem to operate/advertise in Nordic countries under this name, but maybe in other countries under other names?

I ended up on the site via a Facebook ad as they were advertising the console for a low price. At a quick glance the site seems legit (weird logo aside), but there are small things that make the entire site seem like a scam.

Let's start with the Finnish site, which states (first in Finnish, then translated to English):
Njordspil AB hoitaa Nintendo-tuotteiden jakelun ja markkinoinnin yhdessä tytäryhtiöidensä Njordspil AS:n, Njordspil A/S:n ja Oy Njordspil AB:n kanssa. Oy Njordspil AB on Nintendon virallinen jakelija Suomessa.
Njordspil AB manages the distribution and marketing of Nintendo products together with its subsidiaries Njordspil AS, Njordspil A/S and Oy Njordspil AB. Oy Njordspil AB is Nintendo's official distributor in Finland.
Okay, so they're an official distributor for Nintendo in Finland? I thought that was Bergsala? Let's see what Bergsala has to say:
Bergsala AB hoitaa Nintendo-tuotteiden jakelun ja markkinoinnin yhdessä tytäryhtiöidensä Bergsala AS:n, Bergsala A/S:n ja Oy Bergsala AB:n kanssa. Oy Bergsala AB on Nintendon virallinen jakelija Suomessa.
Bergsala AB manages the distribution and marketing of Nintendo products together with its subsidiaries Bergsala AS, Bergsala A/S and Oy Bergsala AB. Oy Bergsala AB is Nintendo's official distributor in Finland.
Well that looks familiar.. the text on Njordspil's site is a direct copy of Bergsala's text.

Okay, let's dig deeper. Here's equivalent the text from their Danish site:
Njordspil A/S er den officielle distributør af spillekonsoller i Danmark. Firmaet er et datterselskab af Njordspil AB, der har hovedsæde i Kungsbacka ved Gøteborg i Sverige.
Njordspil A / S is the official distributor of game consoles in Denmark. The company is a subsidiary of Njordspil AB, which is headquartered in Kungsbacka, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Ok, here they are not claiming to be an official distributor of Nintendo consoles, just an official distributor of... game consoles? What? But ok, now we know they're a subsidiary of the Swedish branch.

Let's check the Swedish branch then:
Njordspil AB är den officiella distributören av spelkonsoler i Sverige. Företaget är ett dotterbolag till Njordspil A/S, med huvudkontor i Hvidovre, Danmark.
Njordspil AB is the official distributor of game consoles in Sweden. The company is a subsidiary of Njordspil A / S, headquartered in Hvidovre, Denmark.
Again with the "official distributor of game consoles" spiel. But what's this? The Swedish branch is a subsidiary of the Danish one? That's odd...

Now onto the products they're selling. They're listing some controllers as well as the SNES Classic and NES Classic. The SNES Classic is apparently "out of stock". Ok, nothing weird about that, what about the NES Classic? Looks like that one's out of stock too, shame. But what's this, they're advertising a "2018 edition"? What's that about? It has over 600 games? Well now we're getting somewhere. They even have the list of games, here's a short snippet:
wifM3V3.png

Ah yes, Mario 16. Finally I'll get to relive my fond memories of playing that as a kid.

Initially I thought they were selling hacked NES Classics, but that would be a weird business, especially considering the price it's being sold for. So I dug further. Here's a photo of the console they're selling:
XYWv3LP.png

Notice the front panel of the console not having the red logo/name and the Mario sprite placed exactly where the Nintendo logo would be on the controller.. They call the console NES Classic Mini or NES Classic Edition, never actually mentioning Nintendo.

I proceeded to dig up their FAQ, which from the Finnish site directed to the Danish site. Not good, but I can find my way around it. And this is where everything becomes clear:
Forskel mellem 2016 og 2018 versioner af NES?

Kun 2016-versionen af konsollen er fremstillet af Nintendo i Taiwan. Det produceres ikke længere, og det er ekstremt sjældent. Vores 2018-versionen af NES gaming konsol er produceret i Shanghai og har ikke Nintendo varemærke på enheden eller emballagen. 2018-versionen indeholder 600+ (20 gange mere) klassiske spil og er betydeligt bedre end den originale 2016-version. Ved at gøre et køb af 2018-version, du giver dit samtykke til at modtage ikke-nintendo version af NES konsol. 2018-versionen indeholder også oplader
Difference between 2016 and 2018 versions of NES?

Only the 2016 version of the console is manufactured by Nintendo in Taiwan. It is no longer produced and it is extremely rare. Our 2018 version of NES gaming console is produced in Shanghai and does not have a Nintendo brand on the device or packaging. The 2018 version contains 600+ (20 times more) classic games and is significantly better than the original 2016 version. By making a purchase of the 2018 version, you agree to receive the non-nintendo version of the NES console. The 2018 version also includes charger
I, uh, appreciate the honesty I guess?

Other gems I found on the FAQ are shipping taking up to 45 days (from Shanghai) customers possibly having to pay taxes on the consoles and dubious stuff about returns:
The goods must be sent to the address in the e-mail and not to the company's official address. If you ship the item to the address other than the e-mail, the package will be returned to you and return will be canceled.

No paper / receipt inside the box. The package must not contain any printed material. If you place receipts, prints, letters, invoices or other items inside the package, the shipment will be returned to you.

So basically it seems to be a Chinese company pretending to be a Nordic company selling Chinese counterfeit NES Classics.

TL;DR If you end up on this site, I definitely recommend not buying anything from them. Maybe tell people you know not to buy anything from them either. They seem to be advertising at least on Facebook.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Famiclones are rampant again. They're like the bedbugs of bootleg gaming consoles.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Interestingly Njordspil can't be found on the Finnish company databases, their company register number and tax number is also wrong. Guess this is one of those, should I call the cops or not cases.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
There may be a hotline or email you guys can complain, a business bureau of sorts? This is really misleading, and faking the registry number is outright illegal methinks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly Njordspil can't be found on the Finnish company databases, their company register number and tax number is also wrong. Guess this is one of those, should I call the cops or not cases.
Most likely everything about the company is fake so I don't think there's really anything anyone can do about it.

And yeah, I'm not surprised at seeing a bootleg NES Classic, just the extent of this operation with them pretending to be the official distributor of Nintendo etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I got my NES Classic a few days before the official re-release, but it was from a reliable store and I checked it for the bootleg variations. It sucks that they can probably fool people who don't know any better.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up on the site via a Facebook ad as they were advertising the console for a low price. At a quick glance the site seems legit (weird logo aside), but there are small things that make the entire site seem like a scam.

I've noticed Facebook does seem to be the popular location of late for selling highly dodgy gaming hardware; I keep getting spammed with adverts from one company in particular who are absolutely explicit about "hey, you can play this classic game on our system, yes it comes preloaded" - actually advertising with direct video footage of the game in question, as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed Facebook does seem to be the popular location of late for selling highly dodgy gaming hardware; I keep getting spammed with adverts from one company in particular who are absolutely explicit about "hey, you can play this classic game on our system, yes it comes preloaded" - actually advertising with direct video footage of the game in question, as well.
Facebook's reporting tools are awful too, most I can do is report the company's page as a scam but I can't even tell them why I think it's a scam.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
I have reported this company now both to Nintendo and Bergsala. Thanks for the heads up NumberThree.

Additionally, I tried chatting with Njordspil (they use Tidio Live Chat) but to no surprise I received no reply.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017

It appears to be the same situation in Sweden. https://foretagsfakta.bolagsverket.se doesn't return any information on the name, the organisation number or the tax registration number.

Same goes for the Danish https://data.virk.dk/ completely non-existent.
For a company with supposed headquarters in both Denmark and Sweden, operating without company registration is certainly illegal, regardless of its dubious products.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they've had their Facebook page taken down, and the website is inaccessible too. Cheers to everyone who reported them in one way or another, I'd like to think that made a difference!

I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere again under another name or whatever, but maybe they'll at least be less brazen.