• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Norm Macdonald, whose laconic delivery of sharp and incisive observations made him one of Saturday Night Live's most influential and beloved cast members, died today after a nine-year private battle with cancer. He was 61.

Macdonald's death was announced to Deadline by his management firm Brillstein Entertainment. The comedian's longtime producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra, who was with him at the time of his death this morning, said Macdonald had been battling cancer for nearly a decade but was determined to keep his health struggles private, away from family, friends and fans.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no!

What a shame. Apparently cancer and he had long kept his diagnosis private. Too bad. Always loved his super dry, verge of bizarro comedy.

Never knew he was known for going after OJ, I remember the segments but that never stuck out to me really

Macdonald was an SNL cast member from 1993 to 1998, making his greatest impact as the anchor of the show's Weekend Update segments for three seasons. Remembered both for his droll style – and for his refusal to go easy on O.J. Simpson despite reported pressure from SNL execs – Macdonald would prove one of the most impactful Update anchors, pivoting away from the slapstick approach of Chevy Chase and towards the more barbed political approach of his successor Colin Quinn.

Macdonald's departure from the show was controversial in itself, and he often attributed his firing to his continued lambasting of O.J. Simpson as a murderer despite what he said was the displeasure of Don Ohlmeyer, president of NBC's West Coast division, who Macdonald said was a friend of the former football great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? I had no idea he was sick.

Norm was a complicated guy, and most of that complication wasn't great, but still, cancer sucks.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, wtf. Truly a legendary comedian, even if he'd made some missteps in recent years.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm what. Holy shit are you fucking kidding me? Fuck cancer.

RIP

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Damnit, this sucks. Always a shock to hear when someone is able to keep battles like this private.. thinking of Bowie and Alan Rickman and Boseman.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My condolences go out to his loved ones, & may Norm rest in peace.

Fuck cancer

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
WTF!!!! My favorite stand up comedian ever, and the best celebrity interview ever. Fuck!