• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Norm Macdonald Shot Secret Final Netflix Stand-Up Special Before Passing

In a comedy first, the late actor-comedian self-shot a final hour of new stand-up to be released in the event of his death: "The material's fantastic. … I hope people appreciate that he did this."

So Norm, during the height of COVID in 2020 and already in declining health, did a 60-minute stand up set of all new material in his own living room with the intention of it being released after his death. He got better, and the footage just sat in his closet, but after his death last year Netflix has packaged up the video and will be releasing it on May 30th as the hour-long Norm Macdonald: Nothing Special.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be the Purple Mountains of standup specials. Not sure if I'll be able to handle it.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
So not gonna say I'm the direct inspiration for the title of this special, but I find it funny.

Story time, back in 2015 at Pax South I caught his show and got called on by Norm. He asked me what I did and I answered honestly, nothing. Which took him off guard because he wasn't expecting that answer. He tried to roast me, but he couldn't do it. He pulled me aside after the show and in the lobby area and we got a drink and spoke for a bit. It left a lasting impression on me since.

Can't wait to see this special.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Not only did he film this special before he died, he actually filmed all his specials before he died.

Oct 25, 2017
well that's interesting
with the specific intention of it being released after his own death?
this could turn out pretty trippy depending on how morbid he went about it with the intention in mind
definitely interested

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
I appreciated Norm from a distance. I liked his small appearances in things, and you could tell he was a comedian's comedian.

I don't know if I'll watch this, since I don't know his standup. But, I'd have to imagine if there was anyone out there who could do this sort of weird, morbid style of a show, then it's probably him.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I rewatch his Germany joke that he did on the final Lettterman episode every so often. Always makes me laugh.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Heard Spade talking about the memorial on his and Dana Carvey's podcast this week. Sounds like it'll be a bit of a tearjerker.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Oh cool. I only really got acquainted with how funny he was after he passed, honestly, when so many people were heaping praise. I've since watched clips and his humor resonates with me so I'll definitely be interested to see a full set.

And they will gladly host it along with Joe Rogan, Dave Chapelle, and Louis CK.

Wait whats the back story here? In that thread she says to read the other tweets and decide. Is it just the two tweets from her and Kerri Lendo or is there an aggregation of other accounts? I feel like I'm missing something but I also don't twitter so... yeah whats the back story?

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
And they will gladly host it along with Joe Rogan, Dave Chapelle, and Louis CK.

This

Fuck Norm Macdonald

Wait whats the back story here? In that thread she says to read the other tweets and decide. Is it just the two tweets from her and Kerri Lendo or is there an aggregation of other accounts? I feel like I'm missing something but I also don't twitter so... yeah whats the back story?

www.rollingstone.com

'Tonight Show' Cancels Norm Macdonald Visit Over #MeToo Comments

'The Tonight Show' canceled Norm Macdonald's appearance Tuesday night following remarks the comedian made regarding the #MeToo movement.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The original account is now suspended but there was a woman who came forward who took a picture with Norm and she said Norm groped her, stuck his hand down her pants. This led to some other women coming out with their experiences.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Day one. This special will be something special I'm sure.

Norm was really one of a kind. Not everyone 'got' his comedy but once you did, you realized the genius and his dedication to the craft. No one really came close to his form.

I miss that dude.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'm wondering this too as I've never been able to find accusations of any sort of sexual assault other than that vague Jenny Yang tweet even after a deep dive. Not to say they don't exist, but I can't find them anywhere.

There is no doubt that Norm said some very dumb things however, although he thankfully spoke very kindly of trans people in interviews near the end (I know some old jokes of his, especially on SNL, were transphobic).

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
He sexually harassed Kerri Lendo? That's fucked up. I'm familiar with Kerris work from her Master Pancake comedy movie riffs in Austin and she seems like a super cool person.
Macdonald had a reputation for being a heavy drinker, if not an alcoholic, but in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter he claimed that he never actually drank, and merely pretended to be drunk as an excuse to grope women, bragging, in print and on the record, "I'd (pretend to be drunk) to get girls! I'd be in a bar and for some reason when you're drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever. (In a high-pitched voice🙂 "What are you doing? Haha!" If you're sober, they're like, "Hey! Just what do you think you're doing?" So I'd just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times."

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
www.rollingstone.com

'Tonight Show' Cancels Norm Macdonald Visit Over #MeToo Comments

'The Tonight Show' canceled Norm Macdonald's appearance Tuesday night following remarks the comedian made regarding the #MeToo movement.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are fond of Norm, especially since he passed, but he said some very questionable shit in his later years. I mean, this right here:

was "happy the #MeToo movement has slowed down a bit"; Macdonald is "very good friends" with Louis C.K., who Macdonald said lost everything after he was exposed for sexual misconduct. "Of course, people will go, 'What about the victims?' But you know what? The victims didn't have to go through that."

Is some omega yikes stuff.

I think Norm's style disarms a lot of people, because it was never clear at times when he was joking or not about almost everything, but there's definitely certain patterns that emerge. Definitely feels like he was on that Bill Maher wavelength at the very least.

The sexual assault stuff I'm not as aware of, but would not be surprised

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering this too as I've never been able to find accusations of any sort of sexual assault other than that vague Jenny Yang tweet even after a deep dive. Not to say they don't exist, but I can't find them anywhere.

There is no doubt that Norm said some very dumb things however, although he thankfully spoke very kindly of trans people in interviews near the end (I know some old jokes of his, especially on SNL, were transphobic).

This article talks about some anonymous accusers and that comedy clubs took measures to protect women from him. There is also a pretty gross quote from him like this:

"I'd be in a bar and for some reason when you're drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever," he bragged. "(In a high-pitched voice) 'What are you doing? Ha-ha.' If you're sober, they're like, 'Hey! Just what do you think you're doing?' So, I'd just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times."

www.thedailybeast.com

The Complicated Legacy of Norm Macdonald

Norm Macdonald, who passed away at 61 from cancer, was a comedy legend. But these women say he sexually harassed them, and comedy clubs took measures to protect women from him.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Macdonald had a reputation for being a heavy drinker, if not an alcoholic, but in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter he claimed that he never actually drank, and merely pretended to be drunk as an excuse to grope women, bragging, in print and on the record, "I'd (pretend to be drunk) to get girls! I'd be in a bar and for some reason when you're drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever. (In a high-pitched voice🙂 "What are you doing? Haha!" If you're sober, they're like, "Hey! Just what do you think you're doing?" So I'd just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times."

What the fuuuuu

Gross.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
His comedy is really not my taste, but I have some friends who really like him, so I'm glad they can have this one last hurrahaha with him.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
This is out. I'm about a third in and there have been some pretty good bits. I'm so sad that he passed. He was hysterical. A lot of these bits are landing in an even funnier way with there not being a bunch of people laughing. It's almost like he's at a club and bombing or something, but in a good way.

Last edited:

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
how am i not surprised this fuck was also a sex pest..?

seems like most of the "edgy" try-hard comedians are/were.

oh well.. cant hurt anyone else anymore at least.

Oct 27, 2017
This article talks about some anonymous accusers and that comedy clubs took measures to protect women from him. There is also a pretty gross quote from him like this:

"I'd be in a bar and for some reason when you're drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever," he bragged. "(In a high-pitched voice) 'What are you doing? Ha-ha.' If you're sober, they're like, 'Hey! Just what do you think you're doing?' So, I'd just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times."

www.thedailybeast.com

The Complicated Legacy of Norm Macdonald

Norm Macdonald, who passed away at 61 from cancer, was a comedy legend. But these women say he sexually harassed them, and comedy clubs took measures to protect women from him.
I've tried to find more about this and this is the only real article I've ever seen on the subject. A few personal accounts here and there as well.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried to find more about this and this is the only real article I've ever seen on the subject. A few personal accounts here and there as well.

Does that matter? Unless you are questioning the credibility of the Daily Beasts reporting, in which case I can't speak to that except that they are generally reliable but skew left. They seem to have several anonymous sources. Whether you want to believe them or not is up to you.

Oct 27, 2017
Does that matter? Unless you are questioning the credibility of the Daily Beasts reporting, in which case I can't speak to that except that they are generally reliable but skew left. They seem to have several anonymous sources. Whether you want to believe them or not is up to you.
Moreso just surprised it wasn't more widely explored