• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: As this thread continues, please keep in mind that not everyone has the same level of control over their bodies; factors like metabolism, genetics, budget, and availability of fresh food can be significant. Please try to be supportive rather than dismissive or cruel when it comes to encouraging people to lose weight.

Link

New research warns that the normalisation of 'plus-size' body shapes may be leading to an increasing number of people underestimating their weight - undermining efforts to tackle England's ever-growing obesity problem.

While attempts to reduce stigmatisation of larger body sizes - for example with the launch of plus-size clothing ranges - help promote body positivity, the study highlights an unintentional negative consequence that may prevent recognition of the health risks of being overweight.

The study by Dr Raya Muttarak, from the University of East Anglia (UEA) and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), in Austria, examined the demographic and socioeconomic characteristics associated with underestimation of weight status to reveal social inequalities in patterns of weight misperception.

Analysis of data from almost 23,460 people who are overweight or obese revealed that weight misperception has increased in England. Men and individuals with lower levels of education and income are more likely to underestimate their weight status and consequently less likely to try to lose weight.

Members of minority ethnic groups are also more likely to underestimate their weight than the white population, however they are more likely to try to lose weight. Overall, those underestimating their weight are 85% less likely to try to lose weight compared with people who accurately identified their weight status.

Dr Muttarak, a senior lecturer in UEA's School of International Development, says her findings have important implications for public health policies.

"Seeing the huge potential of the fuller-sized fashion market, retailers may have contributed to the normalisation of being overweight and obese," said Dr Muttarak. "While this type of body positive movement helps reduce stigmatisation of larger-sized bodies, it can potentially undermine the recognition of being overweight and its health consequences. The increase in weight misperception in England is alarming and possibly a result of this normalisation.

"Likewise, the higher prevalence of being overweight and obesity among individuals with lower levels of education and income may contribute to visual normalisation, that is, more regular visual exposure to people with excess weight than their counterparts with higher socioeconomic status have.

"To achieve effective public health intervention programmes, it is therefore vital to prioritise inequalities in overweight- and obesity-related risks. Identifying those prone to misperceiving their weight can help in designing obesity-prevention strategies targeting the specific needs of different groups."

Dr Muttarak added: "The causes of socioeconomic inequalities in obesity are complex. Not only does access to health care services matter, but socioeconomic determinants related to living and working conditions and health literacy also substantially influence health and health behaviours.

"Given the price of healthier foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables are higher than processed and energy-dense foods in this country, as a sociologist, I feel these inequalities should be addressed. The continuing problem of people underestimating their weight reflects unsuccessful interventions of health professionals in tackling the overweight and obesity issue."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The world (or at least america) will never know portion control as an accepted concept.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the solution? Body-positivity culture allows people feel better about themselves on a day to day basis. Who are we to go back to fat-shaming? There must be a way to curb the obesity epidemic without making people feel like shit.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The conflation of someone being plussize/bigger sized to people being obese is fucking disrespectful and fucked up.

It's all genetics. Not ever person is going to be a stick figure or 130lbs. How about we target this countries fucked up food situation where it's entirely easier to buy bullshit meals than healthier alternative choices.

People shouldn't be fucking demonized for having different bodytypes.

Edit: I made a mistype. Get the fuck over it. Its partially genetics. Left for transparency

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is blatantly obvious.
The "fat acceptance" movement is horrifically destructive.
It felt like the US was on the right course during the Obama years. Michelle really did the best she could to fight obesity. Its strange though, on my recent trip to Europe the lack of morbidly obese people was very noticeable compared to here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So what's the solution? Body-positivity culture allows people feel better about themselves on a day to day basis. Who are we to go back to fat-shaming? There must be a way to curb the obesity epidemic without making people feel like shit.

Body positive is one thing against 'flaws' of ...i dunno "pudge" and love handles here and there.

But "celebrating obesity" is a problem.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Well the opposite approach is unneccesarily cruel

Why not just lead by positive example and open doors to healthier lifestyles

Plus leave the hard truth to doctors.... plus we need working healthcare system to doctors even have a chance to put their patients on a healthier path

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
This is blatantly obvious.
The "fat acceptance" movement is horrifically destructive.
It felt like the US was on the right course during the Obama years. Michelle really did the best she could to fight obesity. Its strange though, on my recent trip to Europe the lack of morbidly obese people was very noticeable compared to here.

We apparently have an obesity problem in Belgium but to be honest I haven't really noticed it - but I assume pictures folk are more likely to be fitness freaks.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between a Doctor telling somebody that they should lose weight for health reasons, and some fuck boy on Twitter telling them that they're too fat to be attractive.

The difference between them is logic and reason

Jan 18, 2018
The conflation of someone being plussize/bigger sized to people being obese is fucking disrespectful and fucked up.

It's all genetics. Not ever person is going to be a stick figure or 130lbs. How about we target this countries fucked up food situation where it's entirely easier to buy bullshit meals than healthier alternative choices.

No, it is absolutely not all genetics

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

We don't need to fat shame but we don't need to pretend that being obese is good for you. Treat obesity like what it is, a diesease. We don't "cancer shame" but we also don't have a "cancer positivity" movement that tells people that having cancer is ok.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
There's a difference between body positivity and celebrating and normalizing obesity.

Deleted member 8683

User requested account closure
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have not yet heard a better solution than to let the individual decide themselves:

Do you want to keep your weight?
Calories in = calories out.

Do you want to lose weight?
Calories in < calories out.

Do you want to gain weight?
Calories in > calories out.

Just eat a balanced diet and follow the above. Of course, this relies on people wanting to inform themselves of what a "balanced diet" is...

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up I was told to eat everything on my plate, as there were kids starving elsewhere. Fortunately (in this situation at least) my family was lower-middle-class, so we had decent portion sizes. Also I live in Canada where sizes tend to be smaller than the US (and where food is generally more expensive), so it's never been as big of an issue at restaurants. But even today as an adult I have a hard time stopping myself from finishing whatever food is in front of me, it's just been ingrained. I am decent shape and have a good BMI so I'm not worried, but I imagine the same issue plagues a lot of people.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If the obesity epidemic is to be seriously tackled, there's gotta be more effort on making the healthy fruit/veg options cheaper or easier to by in bulk compared to all the fatty burger stuff that's ridiculously cheap. Also our working culture exhausts and annoys us a lot of the time so people will binge on what tastes good in order to feel better. That's the first objective over what language is used to make someone feel worse or better.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yet you just did that with the stick figure comment,

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

There is a long stretch of road from fat-shaming to fat-acceptance/healthy at every size.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I am overweight, always trying to get to normal, and normalisation of overweight/obese really doesn't seem like a good idea. It's exactly because of the ideals that I don't slip into heavier and even unhealthier.

Thankfully I don't think plus size will never catch on with men. Plus size women can look really smoking hot, but I don't think men with extra fat will ever look hot at all.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Feeling like shit motivated me to drop 10kg this year, with my weight still steadily decreasing. Obviously I'm not a fan of fat shaming, there's no need to be cruel to people. But if the people in my life had kept telling me I looked fine, and not worry about my beer belly, I'm pretty sure they'd have led me into an early grave.

Intermittent fasting, cutting out excessive sugar and exercise have me feeling better than I ever have in my adult life, and it required me to feel like shit about how I looked and felt to do it. I was in a dressing room of a clothing store one day, and their harsh lighting and multiple mirrors made me realise how unfit I was, and I felt horrible, and it was the motivation I needed, the kind of motivation nobody in my life could inspire in me, because as we're discussing in this thread, they didn't want to hurt my feelings. Well fuck my feelings, I say. Coddling people is more harmful than hitting them with a harsh truth. Anyway, my post is all anecdotal I know.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
We need to have better food education...like that will ever happen though

Last edited:

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cmon people, exert some self control. If you're eating until yourecently too stuffed to eat anymore you're eating way too much.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I don't think plus size will never catch on with men. Plus size women can look really smoking hot, but I don't think men with extra fat will ever look hot at all.
skinny-guys-vs-fat-guys-comic.jpg

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people totally understand the weight threshold to overweight and obese. A lot of people who think they're in an acceptable range are probably overweight.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Glad there is genuine work being done about their weird wave of celebrating obesity. I get it's hard to lose weight, I know I deal with my own body issues everyday, but this recent surge of being proud of it and some people even ignoring obvious health issues related to weight (high blood pressure, breathing problems, sleep apnea) because they're "ok" with their self-image and have been given the permission to feel comfortable with their size is such backward logic. the human body wasn't meant for this kind of pressure. Having knee problems at 24 because your health has been degrading since you were a teenager and have ignored every instance of portion control or means of physical activity isn't right. I don't know how you can be comfortable with that or delude yourself into believeing its alright. I've hit my peak of 300 pounds at one point in my life and felt like shit every single day, then I did something about it and dropped 80 pounds. it wasn't easy, there's no magical solution and I hated everything about it, but I did it because I could barely walk up a short flight of stairs without breathing heavy after. and sure now I put on a bit more weight since then, but the lessons I learned were more important than just losing the initial weight. I recognize my emotional triggers more that lead me to gorging on a box of twinkies in one sitting and I know now that a diet of hot dogs for every lunch and dinner for weeks on end wasn't doing my heart right. I'm just rambling now, but I will never understand this proudness of being obese and overweight.

Oct 27, 2017

"Plus size" is a completely arbitrary and relative term and the study literally specified what BMI range they were looking at. The problem with these discussions are these kneejerk reactions. And they literally address what you said as well

"Given the price of healthier foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables are higher than processed and energy-dense foods in this country, as a sociologist, I feel these inequalities should be addressed."

Funny cause the article isn't about the US.
He did say "at least", and the UK does have a similar obesity rate

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
I am overweight, always trying to get to normal, and normalisation of overweight/obese really doesn't seem like a good idea. It's exactly because of the ideals that I don't slip into heavier and even unhealthier.

Did you miss the whole dad bod movement?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

"It's all genetics" is not only extreme simplification, but just wrong. Don't peddle pseudoscience buzzwords as fact.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
the answer is healther, better food at more accessible prices. like, straight up. more than that, cooking classes should be mandatory in school. the little morsel we learn in home ec isn't enough. when people don't know how to cook, have no time or energy to learn, and have no way to buy the ingredients, of course all they're gonna eat is fast food — it's right in the name.

if governments are serious about combating obsesity, they need to get serious about nutrition. end of. body shaming does nothing but make people feel like garbage.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

Science and the entire medical community say it's a problem that should be addressed on a large scale, but DigitalOp says "it's all genetics" and we shouldn't shame because "not every person's gonna be a stick figure yo".
That's a tough one.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think this is at odds with body positivity. You can educate people better on nutrition, health risks, obesity, etc, without making them feel like shit.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Portion control Joel is my bff.

No seriously, we need cheaper healthy food and to teach people about portion control. When I started exercising and eating right I was shocked at how much food I was eating that I didn't need. Fast food is a huge contributor to this.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
I think government efforts to educate on the dangers of obesity, that go further than "you'll die young" are in the best interest of society.

And I think disclaimers on body positivity are just good sense. It's cool that you sell plus size clothing but somewhere you should also encourage your customers to take care of themselves.

Also, I wonder about why minorities are much more prone to get in shape than whites. Could it be that privilege begets less effort overall?

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Duh. Yes, being overweight is unhealthy, and shouldn't be normalized. People shouldn't get shit for it either, but trying to portray that as "natural", and being skinny/fit as less so, is bullshit.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
"Plus size" is a completely arbitrary and relative term and the study literally specified what BMI range they were looking at. The problem with these discussions are these kneejerk reactions. And they literally address what you said as well

He did say "at least", and the UK does have a similar obesity rate

I did see that part, that's why I mentioned the food.

And what you explain is exactly what is driving me nuts. You can already see who's jumped in the thread and who is seeing "plussize" or biggersized people as obesity outright.

And that's fucked up. There is a big difference between overweight and obesity. And people better have some nuance and some respect before spreading their bullshit.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
for me a lot of it has to do with mental health. i know people say that exercise is generally seen as a way to decrease depression and increase your general mental well-being but for me, it basically is such that my willingness to engage in healthy behavior is directly tied to my mental state.

anytime i have not been doing exercise and been gaining weight has been in a period where shit sucked and i was constantly depressed about other things and food for me was at least a pleasant thing that made me feel better, while i generally just sat or layed around doing nothing because i was miserable

so in that sense along with myriad other things which need to be addressed, i think mental health is something that contributes heavily to fitness and nutritional choices. it has no scientific basis that i know of but i am pretty sure the usa at least has been getting fat and depressed correlationally

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean fat shaming is all about how you word stuff, and who tells you the information. If some asshole on the street tells me to lose weight I'm gonna get upset and feel insulted vs my mom or sister telling me to get my shit together and stop being a glutton before I die.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The solution is to tell the people the fucking truth even if it hurts their feelings. Being fat is bad, end of story.