• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Also, if your family asks "why are you starving yourself" when you are on a diet, or finds it offensive when you don't eat massive portion sizes of their cooking, just know that you aren't starving yourself, what you are doing is actually healthy even if they can't understand.

Tell them a doctor told you to do it and usually they will stop.

I find fasting easier than calorie counting. When you get used to fasting you never feel hungry even after 4/5 days.
I saw a video of a guy who fasted for an entire week. I can't imagine that but he seemed perfectly fine after the 4 day mark.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You can encourage people to lose weight without shaming them for being overweight, I wish this was stressed more.

I agree, but at the end of the day there's going to be an uncomfortable conversation. There's no nice way of telling someone that they're unhealthy and need to change their life style. You can see the struggle in this very thread, and people are naturally going to come across as defensive.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
End of the day, being fat comes down to poor diet and exercise choices. I say this as a chubby man. But these people still need to buy clothes. They're a market and if they exist in large numbers, businesses will serve their needs.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why we need to add a fast food or soda tax when those things are already more expensive than eating healthy. We need to stop blaming the food industry and start educating people how to eat better.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but who is looking out to make sure they do it? Mental health issues are no joke, and you can't just say "get over it". This is something we need to make a huge investment in, a huge governmental and societal push. We need to solve things like mental health treatment and income inequality to get people in the right mind to be able to be healthy, like it or not for the majority of people as evidenced by where we're at we're a sick nation in a lot of ways and until we try to change that as a nation we're going to be stuck.
I know far too well how bad depression can be, but you're not going to get huge governmental interference. You have to adapt. Acknowledgement matters but it isn't the fix. Also, exercise and healthy eating can help with issues like depression.

Nov 4, 2017
I don't understand why we need to add a fast food or soda tax when those things are already more expensive than eating healthy. We need to stop blaming the food industry and start educating people how to eat better.
When entire societies are falling to this in record numbers, it's not really a matter of individuals making poor choices. This is like allowing cigarrette manufacturers to advertise inside schools with cartoon characters and toys.

It's way bigger than education. It's over 1/3rd of the population in the US.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
If you're a black man and you can't walk down the street at night without a white woman grasping her purse and walking the other way, it's very hard to rise above that even if you're trying your best.

If you're dirt poor and don't have money for college and you're stuck in a dead-end menial job with no prospects, it's very hard to rise above that even if you're trying your best.

If you're trans and you get bullied and mocked and discriminated against all the time in your conservative southern town even from your own family, it's very hard to rise above that even if you're trying your best.

If you're fat? Stop eating. You don't even have to DO anything...just eat like a bird, and you lose weight. Spend LESS money, and you lose weight. Go out to eat LESS, and you lose weight.

I understand there are a tremendous amount of reasons why people don't stop eating their enormous portions (ignorance, cravings, they believe some BS like "it's genetics," family culture, they use the feeling of being full as a comfort, mental health issues, complacency, they think the feeling of being starving at a proper calorie diet will kill them, etc.)

But at the end of the day, this is one of the easiest systemic issues to overcome. ANYONE can stop eating. ANYONE can cut their portion sizes down to a third of what they used to eat. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from, you can do it with discipline and perseverance. My entire family is massive and I used to be extremely morbidly obese for my whole life, but I lost hundreds of pounds and I'm so happy I did it. If I can do it, so can everyone else.

Thank you for posting this. It is hard, it takes a lot of discipline, but anyone can lose weight. It just a lot of hard work and effort. However, the reward is so great that it is worth that effort.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_mx281sDunv1qjw6ido1_250.gif

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
When entire societies are falling to this in record numbers, it's not really a matter of individuals making poor choices. This is like allowing cigarrette manufacturers to advertise inside schools with cartoon characters and toys.

It's way bigger than education. It's over 1/3rd of the population in the US.

I wonder if something like a happy meal ban would be a good idea.
The ones with collectible toys are the worst, they make kids want to come back multiple times to collect all of them.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Affordability of fast food and junk food is one of the big reasons why obesity is so prominent. Making it less affordable is a natural conclusion to come to, there's many other steps we can take such as educating people better, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if something like a happy meal ban would be a good idea.
The ones with collectible toys are the worst, they make kids want to come back multiple times to collect all of them.
I think people have to really start hardcore demonizing food that is made in a way that kills you. Like, commercials of people eating fast food and throwing up like in Supersize Me. Treat it like smoking. Commercials of people having heart attacks and dying. Run those commercials on Nickelodeon. Then yes, ban any advertising aimed squarely at kids for starters. And put big warning labels on it like the kinds you see for cigarettes.

We could have a society where heart attacks are rare. It's literally all the food. Who knows how much cancer could be cut down as well. This is the same thing as watching people smoke in doctor's offices in old movies from the 1950s.

45% of of the population smoked in the 1950s. We're nearing 45% obesity for the population in the US (it's at 39% now). And the health effects are even worse.

We all know exactly what to do. We know how to combat smoking as a society and it's worked. And there are other places in south america that did it even more aggressively.

Or continue as we are now, and it just gets worse.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Affordability of fast food and junk food is one of the big reasons why obesity is so prominent. Making it less affordable is a natural conclusion to come to, there's many other steps we can take such as educating people better, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

You wouldn't even need to tax it. Eliminating the corn and dairy subsidies would do more to raise the price of unhealthy food than a tax ever would.

Tiopes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the solution? Body-positivity culture allows people feel better about themselves on a day to day basis. Who are we to go back to fat-shaming? There must be a way to curb the obesity epidemic without making people feel like shit.

We can always not treat overweight people like shit but also clarify that it's not healthy. Unfortunately we can't just say that being overweight is not a health problem, but we can say that you can look good anyway.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
the answer is healther, better food at more accessible prices. like, straight up. more than that, cooking classes should be mandatory in school. the little morsel we learn in home ec isn't enough. when people don't know how to cook, have no time or energy to learn, and have no way to buy the ingredients, of course all they're gonna eat is fast food — it's right in the name.

if governments are serious about combating obsesity, they need to get serious about nutrition. end of. body shaming does nothing but make people feel like garbage.

Amen, brother. It should be easier and cheaper to eat healthy, with lots of fiber, slow carbs and veggies and few processed foods/dairy/meat/fast carbs.
for each dollar spent making this happen, we will likely save $2 or more in medical costs down the line, dealing with diabetes, dialysis, heart and stomach surgeries, amputations, eye surgeries, strokes, avoidable cancers, autoimmune disease, etc.
We will improve the quality of life of tens of millions of people. We will increase happiness and reduce tragedy. We will increase worker productivity and lose fewer talented people too early.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
If you're a black man and you can't walk down the street at night without a white woman grasping her purse and walking the other way, it's very hard to rise above that even if you're trying your best.

If you're dirt poor and don't have money for college and you're stuck in a dead-end menial job with no prospects, it's very hard to rise above that even if you're trying your best.

If you're trans and you get bullied and mocked and discriminated against all the time in your conservative southern town even from your own family, it's very hard to rise above that even if you're trying your best.

If you're fat? Stop eating. You don't even have to DO anything...just eat like a bird, and you lose weight. Spend LESS money, and you lose weight. Go out to eat LESS, and you lose weight.

I understand there are a tremendous amount of reasons why people don't stop eating their enormous portions (ignorance, cravings, they believe some BS like "it's genetics," family culture, they use the feeling of being full as a comfort, mental health issues, complacency, they think the feeling of being starving at a proper calorie diet will kill them, etc.)

But at the end of the day, this is one of the easiest systemic issues to overcome. ANYONE can stop eating. ANYONE can cut their portion sizes down to a third of what they used to eat. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from, you can do it with discipline and perseverance. My entire family is massive and I used to be extremely morbidly obese for my whole life, but I lost hundreds of pounds and I'm so happy I did it. If I can do it, so can everyone else.
The problem is people will read this and just think "Wow, Aquamarine is amazing. A god among men. I could never do what Aquamarine did. I do not have that sort of iron will, that steely self-discipline. I am a failure. No point in even trying.".

They won't think "Oh aquamarine is just some average person and I can definitely do whatever Aquamarine does." which is what you want them to think.
People underestimate themselves constantly, don't they? I bet you underestimated yourself.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, taxing fast food will be a likely "solution" instead of making healthy food cheaper. Still, they should make healthy food taste good. I'd be all over celery that tasted like a Big Mac.

Both politicians and scientists aren't trying hard enough.

Oct 27, 2017
It means itis far harder for them to eat healthier. Until mental health issues are treated rightly and people with those issues helped nothing will change. Society as a whole doesn't give a shit about mental health problems. It's why you see loads of mental health places closed in the UK and the ambulances made to deal with it. Most of the time people with mental health issues are too far gone to be able to get out of the rut themselves

You notice nowhere did I say there aren't just lazy people etc. I am saying many overweight people have way more problems than just being lazy and people with these issues is only increasing.

Why is it harder for them to eat healthier?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, taxing fast food will be a likely "solution" instead of making healthy food cheaper. Still, they should make healthy food taste good. I'd be all over celery that tasted like a Big Mac.

I make chicken sandwiches that taste better than a big mac.

Whole wheat toast, grilled chicken, 2 slices of cheese, lettuce, tomato, and bbq sauce. Inexpensive and dramatically more nutritious than a big mac.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't think of celery as the end product. Think of it as a piece of a whole meal. I'm not a fan of plain celery but put in the right recipe where the flavors and textures of all of the food work together? Hell yeah I'll love that celery. Good healthy food is delicious and it's something I wish I would've learned a long long time ago. Learning to cook good food will change your palette for the better too, lessening the desire and cravings for fast food, or at least it has for me.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017

Healthy food is already cheaper than junk, perhaps it's just that it requires a tiny bit of prep?

Healthy, normal food tastes absolutely f'n amazing. I've never had a big Mac in my life, but the few times I've had McDonald's it tasted like plastic shit.

People try very hard, but it's deemed "fat shaming", so a lot of warnings are pushed to the way side. There are so many people that believe the body positive lie that nobody dies from being overweight.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
People in the thread saying we don't get to be happy when we are struggling and with mental issues thats not fun to hear.

Did you know that what you eat affects your mental health? It can even cause mental illnesses.

I've been diagnosed with everything in the book. ADHD, PDD, OCD (severe facial tics, I've rubbed most of my eyelashes and eyebrows off), GAD, ASD, stutter, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and bi-polar, but I've never been overweight in my entire life. I've had to make difficult choices, just like everybody else, I've had to take control of my cravings and I've had to resist urges when my conditions are extra bad. Was it hard? Yeah, but it's not impossible. With all this healthy talk and promotion of mental health lately it seems like people choose to conveniently ignore that a healthy diet can make all the difference in the world for how you feel.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
As this thread continues, please keep in mind that not everyone has the same level of control over their bodies; factors like metabolism, genetics, budget, and availability of fresh food can be significant. Please try to be supportive rather than dismissive or cruel when it comes to encouraging people to lose weight.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Whole wheat toast, grilled chicken, 2 slices of cheese, lettuce, tomato, and bbq sauce. Inexpensive and dramatically more nutritious than a big mac.
Good point. People struggling with the taste or appeal of healthy food shouldn't be looking at replacing big macs with celery, but with a similarly filling sandwich that just contains healthier ingredients.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Did you know that what you eat affects your mental health? It can even cause mental illnesses.
Yeah, I'm slowly working on eating better but with years being treated like shit by others, being stressed out and depression its easy to fail and sucks even more when eating is one of the things thats a comfort. "Tough love" may work for some but it has never worked for me.

Dec 18, 2017
When I first made a serious effort to get in shape, once I had made some solid progress, I got a tattoo that said "Kill the Fat Man." That way, whenever I would backslide, I would see that on my arm and be reminded that I was failing in my mission. To this day, over 20 years later, it is probably the best piece of fitness gear I have ever purchased.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Healthy food is already cheaper than junk, perhaps it's just that it requires a tiny bit of prep?
You have to factor in prep time to cost, in a world where many people are working 2 jobs and struggling to find the time to raise their kids and have any time to themselves it adds up. Plus, I don't think eating healthy is cheaper https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/healthy-vs-unhealthy-diet-costs-1-50-more/ and many people do not live near healthy options.

$2,200 more a year for a family of 4 eating healthy, most people just don't have that kind of money

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm slowly working on eating better but with years being treated like shit by others, being stressed out and depression its easy to fail and sucks even more when eating is one of the things thats a comfort. "Tough love" may work for some but it has never worked for me.

You know what I live by when it comes to assholes? In one ear and out the other. I'm there with you, dude, I was told through my entire childhood that I was a no good "retard" and I believed it for a long time, but in my teenage years I discovered that I was worth more than that. I had to give myself some tough love and remind myself that nobody, but myself will love and care for me the way I can. Tough love DOES work. Maybe you're comfortable in your ways, any change stresses you out and it makes you depressed when you don't see immediate results, but you know what? That's life, dude. Rewarding things take time, hard work and dedication. Any sort of significant life altering change will not come easy and you need to not expect anything major to ever come easy.

Eating may be a comfort, but you want to know what could be an even bigger comfort? Knowing that you'll be active, mentally healthy and fit to enjoy life for as long as you possibly can.

I don't feel superior to overweight people, but what I do feel is gratitude. Gratitude towards being able to say, you know what, I'm going for a 6 mile walk to the pier to watch the sunset. I'm going on that hike up the mountains to check out the swimming hole and waterfalls. That I'm going to Yosemite to wander and wonder in all its majestic beauty. It's gratitude to live life the way I want, how I want and when I want. I maintain my healthy state to appreciate all that this crazy, beautiful life has to offer, because I remind myself every day that I only get this one chance to experience it all and I don't want anything to set me back. Since my surgery last year I've actually experienced a bit of depression like I haven't in decades, but I get on my crutches and go out on walks for as long as I can. I do push-ups, I do sit-ups, pull-ups at the children's playground, I do everything within my power to remain mentally and physically fit and healthy.

Nothing is impossible, dude. If you truly want to get in shape and remain in shape bad enough it'll happen. If you need someone to talk to you feel free to PM me. I'm not always on this site,sometimes I go MIA for weeks at a time, but know you'll get a response.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
You have to factor in prep time to cost, in a world where many people are working 2 jobs and struggling to find the time to raise their kids and have any time to themselves it adds up. Plus, I don't think eating healthy is cheaper https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/healthy-vs-unhealthy-diet-costs-1-50-more/ and many people do not live near healthy options.

$2,200 more a year for a family of 4 eating healthy, most people just don't have that kind of money

I see your point, but in that same link:

Over the course of a year, $1.50/day more for eating a healthy diet would increase food costs for one person by about $550 per year. This would represent a real burden for some families, and we need policies to help offset these costs. On the other hand, this price difference is very small in comparison to the economic costs of diet-related chronic diseases, which would be dramatically reduced by healthy diets.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is blatantly obvious.
The "fat acceptance" movement is horrifically destructive.
It felt like the US was on the right course during the Obama years. Michelle really did the best she could to fight obesity. Its strange though, on my recent trip to Europe the lack of morbidly obese people was very noticeable compared to here.

Yeah I live in Europe now and when I'm dying home to the states, I can spot the terminals going there by the 50% obese people in every que. I'm not skinny by any means but America is FULL of people way bigger than their health can handle.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Ban all fast food advertising.

Set legal limits on sugar & fat content in ready meals & othr processed goods.

Teach home cooking

Encourage home cooking by making people's working day shorter & less shitty.

Pay people enough to not need second jobs.

Of course every single one of these things impacts big business, because it will lead to people buying less shite because they'll find out how utterly disgusting processed food tastes without the high doses of fats, sugar & salt. They'll maybe not eat as much fast food.

Yeah, I can really see that happening. The emphasis on solely individual solutions people are discussing on this thread are as much a part of the problem because they refuse to acknowledge the structural economic issues around food & mental health issues etc that have led to this rise in obesity and the subsequent healthcare cost timebomb it's building to, especially in publicly funded healthcare systems like the UK.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I see your point, but in that same link:

Over the course of a year, $1.50/day more for eating a healthy diet would increase food costs for one person by about $550 per year. This would represent a real burden for some families, and we need policies to help offset these costs. On the other hand, this price difference is very small in comparison to the economic costs of diet-related chronic diseases, which would be dramatically reduced by healthy diets.
Oh for sure but we all know how being strapped for cash or depressed makes it so you're not thinking of the future, you're just trying to keep afloat in the here and now. I think for a lot of people even if it would save them money on health care they just don't have the option, if anything bad happens they'll just die or go to the ER ad hope for the best, it's not like they can make 2 grand appear to pay for something to offset potential future expenses.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
Are you suggesting we make food more expensive so lower income folks cant afford to eat as much? Sounds like a 3rd world country.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
You know what I live by when it comes to assholes? In one ear and out the other. I'm there with you, dude, I was told through my entire childhood that I was a no good "retard" and I believed it for a long time, but in my teenage years I discovered that I was worth more than that. I had to give myself some tough love and remind myself that nobody, but myself will love and care for me the way I can. Tough love DOES work. Maybe you're comfortable in your ways, any change stresses you out and it makes you depressed when you don't see immediate results, but you know what? That's life, dude. Rewarding things take time, hard work and dedication. Any sort of significant life altering change will not come easy and you need to not expect anything major to ever come easy.

Eating may be a comfort, but you want to know what could be an even bigger comfort? Knowing that you'll be active, mentally healthy and fit to enjoy life for as long as you possibly can.

I don't feel superior to overweight people, but what I do feel is gratitude. Gratitude towards being able to say, you know what, I'm going for a 6 mile walk to the pier to watch the sunset. I'm going on that hike up the mountains to check out the swimming hole and waterfalls. That I'm going to Yosemite to wander and wonder in all its majestic beauty. It's gratitude to live life the way I want, how I want and when I want. I maintain my healthy state to appreciate all that this crazy, beautiful life has to offer, because I remind myself every day that I only get this one chance to experience it all and I don't want anything to set me back. Since my surgery last year I've actually experienced a bit of depression like I haven't in decades, but I get on my crutches and go out on walks for as long as I can. I do push-ups, I do sit-ups, pull-ups at the children's playground, I do everything within my power to remain mentally and physically fit and healthy.

Nothing is impossible, dude. If you truly want to get in shape and remain in shape bad enough it'll happen. If you need someone to talk to you feel free to PM me. I'm not always on this site,sometimes I go MIA for weeks at a time, but know you'll get a response.

Thanks. <3 This is a good post unlike others in this thread. I want to get better for me and my nephew who I'm a father figure for. I'm always going to keep trying, I know I'm going to fail sometimes but I'll try again until I actually get better. One of the things that has been a big stress on me is going away so that'll help big time.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Thanks. <3 This is a good post unlike others in this thread. I want to get better for me and my nephew who I'm a father figure for. I'm always going to keep trying, I know I'm going to fail sometimes but I'll try again until I actually get better. One of the things that has been a big stress on me is going away so that'll help big time.
That's awesome to hear dude. Sounds like you've got a great attitude! All you can do is give it your all. Keep doing you and kick some ass.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the solution? Body-positivity culture allows people feel better about themselves on a day to day basis. Who are we to go back to fat-shaming? There must be a way to curb the obesity epidemic without making people feel like shit.

Science. Low calorie delicious food.

Or just teach calorie counting and curbing the ideal body wieght one should be. You can be overweight and still live a relatively healthy life style. I didn't say obese.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What are the calories on that tho? Seems like 2 slices of cheese would add 400 calories and the BBQ sauce couldn't be too kind either.

I'm not shitting on it I'm just curious to what the calorie count is here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Taxing unhealthy food is just going to make people worse off, since they won't stop consuming it. Fast/convenience/restaurant food is still "easier" and arguably "tastier" to most people, so all you're going to do is give people with obesity problems less money to deal with it.

Some way of banning "diets" (can't think of a way to do that which wouldn't violate the first amendment though) would maybe help. We have a tv on in our lobby for guests, and all day it's shit like Dr. Oz hawking new diets. I've never once seen any of these shows say, "Eat less, exercise more."

Step two would be recognising eating as an addiction and treating people likewise. Yes, literally everyone could lose weight by eating less and exercising more, but literally everyone could kick drug or cigarette habits by just not doing those anymore, but of course it isn't that simple.

The last thing I'd do is legislate that food and restaurants can't be run for profit anymore.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Socioeconomic factors are major players in the availability of what people can eat on a day to day basis.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What are the calories on that tho? Seems like 2 slices of cheese would add 400 calories and the BBQ sauce couldn't be too kind either.

I'm not shitting on it I'm just curious to what the calorie count is here.

The slices of cheese i'm talking about are 50 calories a piece. It's pretty similar to a big mac in terms of calories, but with alot more protein, fiber, and way less sodium.

2 slices of whole wheat toast=200
2 slices of cheese=100
Grilled chicken-200 (depends on how much you want)
Lettuce/Tomato-Probaby like 10
BBQ sauce-30-50