• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The slices of cheese i'm talking about are 50 calories a piece. It's pretty similar to a big mac in terms of calories, but with alot more protein, fiber, and way less sodium.

2 slices of whole wheat toast=200
2 slices of cheese=100
Grilled chicken-200 (depends on how much you want)
Lettuce/Tomato-Probaby like 10
BBQ sauce-30-50

That's 550 in calories which aint bad.

I took a look tho and a Big Mac is only 563.

An argument could be made tho that the chicken sandwich is probably healthier but I don't think it's a good low calorie option if you're trying to lose weight.

Of course that all depends on your calorie count for the day. A big Mac isn't gonna hurt unless you have the fries and coke to go along with it and the rest of your meals for the day are also high calorie.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
Taxing unhealthy food is just going to make people worse off, since they won't stop consuming it. Fast/convenience/restaurant food is still "easier" and arguably "tastier" to most people, so all you're going to do is give people with obesity problems less money to deal with it.

Some way of banning "diets" (can't think of a way to do that which wouldn't violate the first amendment though) would maybe help. We have a tv on in our lobby for guests, and all day it's shit like Dr. Oz hawking new diets. I've never once seen any of these shows say, "Eat less, exercise more."

Step two would be recognising eating as an addiction and treating people likewise. Yes, literally everyone could lose weight by eating less and exercising more, but literally everyone could kick drug or cigarette habits by just not doing those anymore, but of course it isn't that simple.

The last thing I'd do is legislate that food and restaurants can't be run for profit anymore.
Overabundance of food is a new thing. We will figure it out with time and education like we do everything else.

I cant believe people are seriously suggesting we force people to eat less by driving up costs. Especially people who consider themselves leftists.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
As a formerly fat person, we don't really need the society to remind us that we are fat. Thank you.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
All this thread did was make me eat more than i should.
Sorry, wrong Quote.

Yes, I'm sure this thread did that. Anything to push the blame somewhere else.

Fuck you! You don't have a slightest idea what fat people go through!

Why isn't fat shaming a bannable offence in this forum? As formerly fat person (still not in best shape but better) I've been through so much hazing in my life that I would hope that at least on the fucking forum where people don't see me I would feel better about myself. Sure there's huge number of people that just don't give a shit about being fat. But I literally don't know any. Everyone I know hates themselves for being fat and that's not helping ANYONE.

Last edited:

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has dropped 50 pounds and counting, fat acceptance is the worst. Ruined everything and really made me unable to see how bad I was.

Calorie count.
Exercise.
Find what works for you in terms of food and workouts.
It's not easy. You struggle. You have to have the willpower to resist temptation and keep going.
It's worth it. You may not see results for a while but others will and they'll tell you.
There's nothing stopping you but you.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck you! You don't have slightest idea what fat people go through.
I'm a fat person, I've been struggling for years...

That post was for everyone that's high and mighty in this thread. When people posted we can't be happy when we are trying our best to become more healthy that hit me hard and made me eat, same with that "fat tax" bullshit. Sure, there's a few people in here who genuinely want to help but the majority just want to think their helping just to make themselves feel better or just get brownie points. They think they know everything and their anecdotes apply to everyone.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I'm a fat person, I've been struggling for years...

That post was for everyone that's high and mighty in this thread. When people posted we can't be happy when we are trying our best to become more healthy that hit me hard and made me eat, same with that "fat tax" bullshit. Sure, there's a few people in here who genuinely want to help but the majority just want to think their helping just to make themselves feel better or just get brownie points. They think they know everything and their anecdotes apply to everyone.
Sorry, quoted you accidentally. Totally agree with you.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
As someone who has dropped 50 pounds and counting, fat acceptance is the worst. Ruined everything and really made me unable to see how bad I was.

Calorie count.
Exercise.
Find what works for you in terms of food and workouts.
It's not easy. You struggle. You have to have the willpower to resist temptation and keep going.
It's worth it. You may not see results for a while but others will and they'll tell you.
There's nothing stopping you but you.
You can start being preachy when you keep that weight off for few years. I dropped 100 pounds before. It's much easier to drop it than to keep it off.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can start being preachy when you keep that weight off for few years. I dropped 100 pounds before. It's much easier to drop it than to keep it off.

He's not being preachy, he's posting good, common sense. Keeping the weight off is not hard if you just keep doing what you did to keep it off. If you fix your diet in order to lose weight, lose the weight, then go back to eating poorly, of course you'll gain it back. If you fix your diet to lose weight and keep sticking to that diet, you won't.

Your mentality can't be to simply lose the weight, it has to be to live a healthier lifestyle. I've also struggled with weight my entire life. I lost 50 pounds at one point during a period where I wasn't working and my school schedule was easy enough that I could focus a lot on cooking and working out. Then I got a job and had less time so I started spending money on fast food and i gained it all the weight back. There's no one to blame there but me. I'm now eating a HFLC diet and have so far lost 35 pounds. I also work full time and have a decent social life, so i've adapted my schedule to allow me to cook and exercise, and this is now how I live my life. I do not intend to go back to eating pizza, fast food, and desert regularly, and I've eliminated soda and juice from my life entirely. I can now forge ahead comfortably knowing that I will steadily become healthier and in better shape as I train myself to live a healthier lifestyle, and won't fall back into old habits when I hit my goal weight.

There's also a lot of misconceptions in this thread, like there was in the thread regarding exercise from a few weeks ago, that eating healthy is expensive. This is categorically false, and self-defeating. You can get a full roast chicken at Walmart for five dollars and feed a family. Eating healthy is not fucking expensive and do not listen to anyone trying to convince you it is. Fast food 3-5+ times a week for one person costs easily twice as much as I spend on groceries for one person. Stop peddling this nonsense. At this point, it should be a bannable offense on ERA. You're literally spreading misinformation that is damaging to society. Fuck.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Lmao nah

Everyone just likes to shit on fat people, used-to-be-fat people especially

Aye, it seems that a lot of people in this thread are just feigning like they're just trying to help as an excuse to take joy in being unnecessarily cruel.

It's better to focus on the positives of losing weight than the negatives of being overweight.

Anyway, just seen this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44574477

Not sure if it's been posted already but it's about cutting down on he obesity epidemic so I thought it was worth mentioning. Granted, it's only about the UK so it's not relevant to a lot of you, but still...

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just trying to give some advice from what's worked for me and others. I've got depression along with a lot of other issues and I'd never thought I'd ever even lose any at all. I'm not an idiot. I know it's not easy. Don't try to take me down because you're wallowing in self-pity.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
You're literally spreading misinformation that is damaging to society. Fuck.

What are you talking about? Are you confusing me with anyone? You literally just confirmed what I posted. Keeping weigh off is difficult because life gets in a way, anxiety, depression, socializing. There are million reasons why keeping the weight off is difficult that have nothing to do with calories. I think you are just in denial. If it's easy for you - great.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? Are you confusing me with anyone? You literally just confirmed what I posted. Keeping weigh off is difficult because life gets in a way, anxiety, depression, socializing. There are million reasons why keeping the weight off is difficult that have nothing to do with calories. I think you are just in denial. If it's easy for you - great.

The bit you quoted wasn't directed at you, only the first two paragraphs. I apologize if it seemed that I was directing that bit at you. That bit was directed at the folks outright lying about healthy eating being expensive, which it is most definitely not.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I'm just trying to give some advice from what's worked for me and others. I've got depression along with a lot of other issues and I'd never thought I'd ever even lose any at all. I'm not an idiot. I know it's not easy. Don't try to take me down because you're wallowing in self-pity.
Didn't mean to put you down. But you have to realize that it isn't easy for everyone. Also please reflect on your wording. If somebody told you that, would it help your depression?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Aye, it seems that a lot of people in this thread are just feigning like they're just trying to help as an excuse to take joy in being unnecessarily cruel.

It's better to focus on the positives of losing weight than the negatives of being overweight.
But aren't the positives of losing weight that you don't have to endure the negatives of being overweight?

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
The bit you quoted wasn't directed at you, only the first two paragraphs. I apologize if it seemed that I was directing that bit at you. That bit was directed at the folks outright lying about healthy eating being expensive, which it is most definitely not.
I agree with that part. In fact I actually think food should be more expensive in general. Would balance out everything else.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
But aren't the positives of losing weight that you don't have to endure the negatives of being overweight?

The positives are that you look, feel and are a whole lot healthier. It turns your life around and helps you live a lot loger. It's absolutely worth the effort.

But telling people they're fat, lazy and good for nothing isn't helping anyone.

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
It took me coming to terms with the fact that I was forgiving myself for having such a terrible diet to begin to make changes. I made excuses, I put it off. I'm not anywhere close to where I want to be and I never want to stop the changes I've made.

On that note, I used to eat out all the time and bought junk all the time. I eat out maybe once a week, and spend a lot less on groceries. It certainly hasn't been more expensive for me. And yeah I still eat some junk every now and then but it's in moderation.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
When those main negatives hazing and bullying, I don't think that it's quite OK.
Right but I'm talking negatives in regards to increase risk of heart disease and other health issues.
Usually losing weight is at least partially influenced by the desire to decrease those risks, unless it is simply a desire to look better which is a little short sighted imo.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
It took me coming to terms with the fact that I was forgiving myself for having such a terrible diet to begin to make changes. I made excuses, I put it off. I'm not anywhere close to where I want to be and I never want to stop the changes I've made.

On that note, I used to eat out all the time and bought junk all the time. I eat out maybe once a week, and spend a lot less on groceries. It certainly hasn't been more expensive for me.
Hey, I learned how to deal with that shit. I try not to go out (kind of easy to do), keep limited number of groceries in the fridge etc. But it's so much more difficult to manage since I got married. I have to take my wife's interests into account.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Right but I'm talking negatives in regards to increase risk of heart disease and other health issues.
Usually losing weight is at least partially influenced by the desire to decrease those risks, unless it is simply a desire to look better which is a little short sighted imo.
Usually you become healthier way before looking better. 99% of people are concerned about weight because of looks. In fact if I could give 5 years of my life just so I don't have to constantly think about every calorie I consume I would be much happier person. Not saying that it's right, but that's how it is for me. Keeping weight off is insanely stressful.

Deleted member 15848

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My advice for anyone trying to lose weight is to stop drinking soda and juice, stick to water only.

A lot of people don't realize how many calories they drink, that one little change could make a huge difference.

Stephen

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be a 'both sides' kind of guy but I guess that's where I'm at with this issue so fuck it, I'm in.

It is true that anyone can lose weight. Nobody gets to break the laws of thermodynamics. Ultimately the cause of someone being overweight is that they are consuming more calories than they are using which gets stored as fat. There is nothing good about encouraging people to accept a situation that is damaging to themselves and having them accept that as part of their identity.

That being said though it is a lot easier for some people than it is for others. In the same way that a person who is smarter will have an easier time in school as will a person who has the willpower and knowledge about what a healthy lifestyle is and the ability to stick to it. And there are legitimate medical issues that make losing weight harder in some instances, but it is always possible. Food addiction is also a real thing and saying 'just stop eating' to those people is like saying 'just stop shooting heroin' to a drug addict. Yeah, if it was that easy then there wouldn't be a problem.

Despite all of this though, fat people are still people and deserve common decency. Antagonizing them into losing weight is a great way to really fuck up their psychological relationship with food and their own self-image.

I think that the solution would be better education about food, macronutrients, and calories at a young age. Here in Canada we were taught the food rainbow which recommended the following in a day (being taught to kids remember): 6-12 servings of bread/grain, 5-10 fruits vegetables, 3-4 dairy, and 2-3 meats. Depending what options you go for that is potentially like 3000+ calories. And sure, you can look into it more when you're an adult but even then weight loss has gotta be one of the most crackpot-theory ridden topics out there. I saw a magazine the other day that said lose 20 lbs a week eating nothing but soup. And the fact of the matter is that just like not everyone is going to be smart enough to be a college graduate not everyone is going to be smart enough to spot the bogus stuff.

Anyway, I guess my position is 'Be nice to everyone and do what you need to do to be as healthy as you can be'.

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My advice for anyone trying to lose weight is to stop drinking soda and juice, stick to water only.

A lot of people don't realize how many calories they drink, that one little change could make a huge difference.

Yep this is what I did.. Lost 50 pounds over like less than 2 months when I was in high school just by running every day and switching from mostly soda to only water. Even just switching to mostly water and some diet soda will be a massive improvement.

It's really the easiest change that isn't anywhere close to as intimidating as dealing with meal plans and such.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
There's also a lot of misconceptions in this thread, like there was in the thread regarding exercise from a few weeks ago, that eating healthy is expensive. This is categorically false, and self-defeating. You can get a full roast chicken at Walmart for five dollars and feed a family. Eating healthy is not fucking expensive and do not listen to anyone trying to convince you it is. Fast food 3-5+ times a week for one person costs easily twice as much as I spend on groceries for one person. Stop peddling this nonsense. At this point, it should be a bannable offense on ERA. You're literally spreading misinformation that is damaging to society. Fuck.
I've been eating healthier for the past 9 months and my grocery bill has nearly doubled. So you also don't know what you're talking about. Also nobody is going to go picking up roasted chickens from Walmart every night to feed their family; are you mad?

For people who are used to eating a variety of bad foods; they are going to need a variety of healthy choices; which costs money. If I ate Walmart chicken every day for every meal I would give up within a week. That goes for pretty much any healthy choice; you get bored if you overdo it as they tend to be blander to you than stuff like pizza.

So yes eating healthier costs more for a variety of reasons. Good thing you can't ban me for your own opinion on this.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We stretch our stomachs by stuffing ourselves. If we stop stuffing ourselves, our stomachs will shrink and we will become fuller faster.

I've never been able to eat huge portions. My stomach always stops me. I always wondered how other people were able to keep eating at will, say when challenged to eat a whole pizza. I think my stomach just won't hold that much. Not that it keeps me from eating things which are high in fat.

I've been eating healthier for the past 9 months and my grocery bill has nearly doubled. So you also don't know what you're talking about. Also nobody is going to go picking up roasted chickens from Walmart every night to feed their family; are you mad?

For people who are used to eating a variety of bad foods; they are going to need a variety of healthy choices; which costs money. If I ate Walmart chicken every day for every meal I would give up within a week. That goes for pretty much any healthy choice; you get bored if you overdo it as they tend to be blander to you than stuff like pizza.

So yes eating healthier costs more for a variety of reasons. Good thing you can't ban me for your own opinion on this.

Can you talk about what you were spending and eating before, and the healthy things you're buying now? In my experience, staples like chicken breasts, rice, potatoes, carrots, skim milk, etc. should be quite affordable.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'll echo the poster above. Would you mind telling us what were you eating then, and what are you eating now? I can't imagine tap water and veggies + some protein being more expensive than fast food with coke.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Anyone looking to lose weight by riding a bike feel free to hit me up. I spent ten years in the bike industry and recently dropped almost 50 pounds by eating better and riding more.

I am always available for bike advice or general support.

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
I mean eating less should mean spending less. There's a few higher quality things I buy now that I didn't before, but I'm saving more.

It's not like you need to buy every "healthy" option. Just about anything in moderation works.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Can you talk about what you were spending and eating before, and the healthy things you're buying now? In my experience, staples like chicken breasts, rice, potatoes, carrots, skim milk, etc. should be quite affordable.
I'll echo the poster above. Would you mind telling us what were you eating then, and what are you eating now? I can't imagine tap water and veggies + some protein being more expensive than fast food with coke.
Some of the stuff I bought before was literally cheap trash. You know you can get personal pizzas for $1-1.50, a full box of jalepeno poppers or cheese sticks for $1 a box? 10lb bag of rice (which isn't the best for weight loss btw) for ~$5 of which I could easily eat 1lb per meal mixed with mayo, dressings, etc which are cheap as shit once you spread them out. Get a whole pie for $4 or less depending. Sometimes even treat myself to a $5 Little Ceasar's pizza. Cheap as hell stuff like that, but all of it terrible. Also maybe going tmi but I had to rely on food banks some months to get by; and let me tell you, the one I went to would limit the amount of 'fresh' fruit/veggies you could get and limit you to about 2 cans worth of other food. But I could walk out with 2 whole sheet cakes, trash bags filled with rolls and bread. You know the real healthy stuff, for free.

The biggest change for me was having a low paying part-time job and then changing to a full time higher paying job. I was actually able to buy the food I knew I should be eating but couldn't afford before. Now I buy whole wheat multi-grain bread, sliced deli turkey and cheese, eggs, milk, grilled chicken tenders, healthy snacks ~200cal, healthy choice frozen meals when I'm in a hurry which come in ~200-250cal, spinach, tomatoes, onions to add to meals. The leanest hamburger meat when I go for something like that instead of ground chuck which has more fat content.

All this stuff adds up and costs me more than how I was eating. But even taking out the food I got for free, I could bring a meal in around $1-2, when now my meals are closer to $3-4.

You don't have to buy fast food, expensive pizzas, chips, soda every meal to be eating unhealthy. Trust me they make it easy to eat that way on the cheap if you know how to shop for it. Hell sometimes I'd just go to the dollar store, spend $15 and have meals for days. None of it in any way healthy of course, but there you go.

Edit: Almost forgot stores sell 48 poptarts for $8-10 depending on the type you get. lulz. You know the serving size is 1 poptart yet they come in packages of two? xD The healthiest of cheap desserts. /s

Edit2: Again keep remembering things I used to buy. I see people complaining about juice in this thread so just wanted to mention Walmart sells their own apple juice like $1.50 or less I think for a whole jug of it. Again, cheap but bad for you if you overdo it. I'm sure you could find even cheaper juice if you looked.

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ban fructose/corn syrup, and heavily regulate sugar used in processed foods, and you'll already address a big issue. Sugar is a drug, and fructose acts just like a poison - the amounts used of both are one of the factors contributing massively to obesity and other health issues.

superfriar19

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest

Thank you for this. I get so annoyed when I see people talk about how expensive it is to eat healthy. Blatant bullshit. Comes across as an excuse.

Oct 25, 2017
He's not being preachy, he's posting good, common sense. Keeping the weight off is not hard if you just keep doing what you did to keep it off. If you fix your diet in order to lose weight, lose the weight, then go back to eating poorly, of course you'll gain it back. If you fix your diet to lose weight and keep sticking to that diet, you won't.

Your mentality can't be to simply lose the weight, it has to be to live a healthier lifestyle. I've also struggled with weight my entire life. I lost 50 pounds at one point during a period where I wasn't working and my school schedule was easy enough that I could focus a lot on cooking and working out. Then I got a job and had less time so I started spending money on fast food and i gained it all the weight back. There's no one to blame there but me. I'm now eating a HFLC diet and have so far lost 35 pounds. I also work full time and have a decent social life, so i've adapted my schedule to allow me to cook and exercise, and this is now how I live my life. I do not intend to go back to eating pizza, fast food, and desert regularly, and I've eliminated soda and juice from my life entirely. I can now forge ahead comfortably knowing that I will steadily become healthier and in better shape as I train myself to live a healthier lifestyle, and won't fall back into old habits when I hit my goal weight.

Better than encouraging people to shop at Walmart.

Don't set yourself as the standard for what other people go through, that's a problem with this thread. "I did this, I can't possibly imagine why anyone else can't." Yeah, that's pretty sad and telling.

And that's the frustrating part with this thread. A lot of you are right, but make your points in the worst way. Cut the "I'm being this aggressive because I care about society" bullshit.

Falldog

Oct 28, 2017
Until we recognise and tackle the structural drivers of the obesity pandemic, and the social inequalities that make some communities more vulnerable to those, then we're not going to make a dent in this problem.

And yes, one of the main causes of obesity in the UK is poverty and the relative cost of high energy dense foods versus healthier, fresh options. For families that are struggling on a low income, the choice between buying a head of broccoli and a massive bag of oven chips - which might even be cheaper than the broccoli - is obvious.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
One problem money wise is that many smaller supermarkets only sell pre-packaged multiples of fruit/veg (or big bags) which is fine for families but may be too much for one person. So do you spend more only to waste it, or buy junk that'll keep?
I'm looking at you co-op and your three packs of Peppers.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
ok
giphy.gif

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
One problem money wise is that many smaller supermarkets only sell pre-packaged multiples of fruit/veg (or big bags) which is fine for families but may be too much for one person. So do you spend more only to waste it, or buy junk that'll keep?
I'm looking at you co-op and your three packs of Peppers.

Why not make a sauce or a soup if those things are soon to expire? They use a tonne of ingredients and you can freeze them. Some of these excuses..