• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I get that walking/traversing sim might be felt like an insult to some people, but that aspect of the game is legit the best part of it. I've played 5 chapters and if I'm talking positive about the game, I'm not gonna bring up the BT sections or combat sections.

Walking/driving/hoverboarding around or "traveling around" is by far the best part of the game. Though, I get some would argue that term in bad faith. I don't necessarily think walking simulator needs to be a derogatory term though.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
giphy.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know I couldn't firm an opinion after watching YouTube videos, reading reviews, and listening to other players.
This is not a game you can watch footage of and get. Go to the OT, you'll see so many people saying they thought it looked bad via footage and reviews... then played it and found it was nothing like they thought it was.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
"A game which has my face in but I've never played is way better than a game which was gonna have my face in but never existed".

Might be the most meaningless endorsement of a product ever uttered.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
what's more likely to get a sequel silent hill or death stranding?

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly the real clowns are the people saying he is wrong for saying that considering Silent Hills never even released lol

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched videos, read reviews, and even asked people here and they all said the game was basically walking for the first couple of hours.

Is this not enough?
It seems that you saw what you wanted to see. Those weren't monsters you were killing, they were people!!!! Welcome to the curse of Silent Hill.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I get that walking/traversing sim might be felt like an insult to some people, but that aspect of the game is legit the best part of it. I've played 5 chapters and if I'm talking positive about the game, I'm not gonna bring up the BT sections or combat sections.

Walking/driving/hoverboarding around or "traveling around" is by far the best part of the game. Though, I get some would argue that term in bad faith. I don't necessarily think walking simulator needs to be a derogatory term though.
Anyone calling it a walking simulator is trying to be dismissive most of the time. I just see it as an open world game with good traversal, also Norman barely knows what a video game is so his opinion matters not. There is an interview where Norman explains that his perception of video games previous to all this is that they are all Call of duty shooters, so he more or less has the perception of video games that our parents have.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This person explains it kind well, I think, at the time stamp. She mentions a quest she did and stuff, which may be a bit too spoilery, but you are probably not interested in that anyway, just listen to what she's talking about the gameplay and what she's experiencing now as she tell her friend about it. It stops at around 6 minutes into the video.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
This person explains it kind well, I think, at the time stamp. She mentions a quest she did and stuff, which may be a bit too spoilery, but you are probably not interested in that anyway, just listen to what she's talking about the gameplay and what she's experiencing now as she tell her friend about it.

I said in another thread that I will buy it once it is on PC, how spoilery is it?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I said in another thread that I will buy it once it is on PC, how spoilery is it?
It's not too bad, but.. it kind of is actually.. Ok I'll type what she says I think.

Mari: So I play through all the boring parts, and I'm just going to explain to you what people said via hologram so that we can get to the cool part cause a lot of people were saying the gameplay was boring (the game opened up after the long intro and she's now about to explain how different things are now that something changed).​
Stacy (the friend that is watching her play): Which I think is fun if you are just playing it in chunks..​
(Mari abruptly interrupts)​
Mari: No, I was genuinely having fun by myself. Just chillin like a villain. But basically I went to this landscape, it was a barren desolate world, and I started building roads and all this stuff, and once I was able to ███████ ██ ███ ███████ █ ███ ████ ██ get access to everyone else working on the area too. So instead of it being a barren wasteland that's very difficult to get around in, now it has a highway! I have a bike and I can do all these different things, it's super cool.​
I know you guys are thinking, "Mari, we missed the storyline." I promise you it really wasn't that interesting, it was interesting to me because it took me 5 hours to do it ██████ (redacted, explains what the story was and what she did).​
----------------------------------------------------

She goes on to talk about things built, and the community stuff, and wonders if reviewers experienced it the same because she was thankful of the progress made after something happens after reaching a new area or something.

I'm getting the PC version too, but for the gameplay, I hardly care about story in games these days, and I'm purely a gameplay person.

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
It's not too bad, but.. it kind of is actually.. Ok I'll type what she says I think.

Mari: So I play through all the boring parts, and I'm just going to explain to you what people said via hologram so that we can get to the cool part cause a lot of people were saying the gameplay was boring (the game opened up after the long intro and she's now about to explain how different things are now that something changed).​
Stacy (the friend that is watching her play): Which I think is fun if you are just playing it in chunks..​
(Mari abruptly interrupts)​
Mari: No, I was genuinely having fun by myself. Just chillin like a villain. But basically I went to this landscape, it was a barren desolate world, and I started building roads and all this stuff, and once I was able to ███████ ██ ███ ███████ █ ███ ████ ██ get access to everyone else working on the area too. So instead of it being a barren wasteland that's very difficult to get around in, now it has a highway! I have a bike and I can do all these different things, it's super cool.​
I know you guys are thinking, "Mari, we missed the storyline." I promise you it really wasn't that interesting, it was interesting to me because it took me 5 hours to do it ██████ (redacted, explains what the story was and what she did).​
----------------------------------------------------

She goes on to talk about things built, and the community stuff, and wonders if reviewers experienced it the same because she was thankful of the progress made after something happens after reaching a new area or something.

I'm getting the PC version too, but for the gameplay, I hardly care about story in games these days, and I'm purely a gameplay person.

Thanks for typing that out. Hmm... So there is a chance that I might enjoy the early hours of no online and just exploring.

Oct 27, 2017
1. He's got a game to sell
2. At the same time, I'm sure he's happy to be a part of something entirely new vs an existing IP
3. If Silent Hills was in first person like PT, then Norman wouldn't have nearly as much to do in game?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for typing that out. Hmm... So there is a chance that I might enjoy the early hours of no online and just exploring.
There is a ton of cutscenes and training type simple tutorial quests at the start. A lot. When the game opens up it seems like the tutorial is over. Being "offline" is probably so people don't park bikes and other goodies for new players, giving them a easy way out of the training. It's still possible you might not like it though.

We have a long while until the PC release. When the time comes there will be a lot of resources at our disposal. I guess you can say we will be able to use the work of the community to make our decision easier (holding in smile emojii). That said, I want to be a pathfinder and not depend on others, so I want to be early. Also things don't stay active for long because of timefall eventually washing stuff away.

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hills died so we could have a postal delivery sim with bombs made of feces and ghost-detecting babies.

Thank you, Konami.
Thank you, Kojima.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Silent Hills died so we could have a postal delivery sim with bombs made of feces and ghost-detecting babies.

Thank you, Konami.
Thank you, Kojima.
that feces bomb is so overblown, from what I read in OT, the piss and shit bomb is not even that effective. the blood bomb that you can create more reliably is the main bomb you'll use in early part of the game. using pizz/shit as weapon are just small little detail they add for fun, like if blood works, why not other thing like sweat, piss, shit etc but people took it way too seriously. 15 hours into the game and I never use them.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I mean nothing's going to stop Kojima from making a homage similar to Evil Within... which I would be down to see him do.

Sony might be up for it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
that feces bomb is so overblown, from what I read in OT, the piss and shit bomb is not even that effective. the blood bomb that you can create more reliably is the main bomb you'll use in early part of the game. using pizz/shit as weapon are just small little detail they add for fun, like if blood works, why not other thing like sweat, piss, shit etc but people took it way too seriously. 15 hours into the game and I never use them.
There was a lot of odd extra not necessary things in the MGS games too. Waiting for The End to die of old age instead of fighting him, eating raw snakes or rats, repairing your wounds individually, cup noodles... (just realized how long cup noodles had a strangle hold on gaming).

Oct 27, 2017

I'm really just disappointed and salty because Silent Hill is one of my all time fave series, and DS just looks like the complete antithesis to what I'd like in a game in terms of gameplay :/

What if Alessa was nanomachines tho

Alessa was Cheryl possessed by Alessa's spirit because Cheryl grafted Alessa's arm onto her body and then everyone was Heather.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm really just disappointed and salty because Silent Hill is one of my all time fave series, and DS just looks like the complete antithesis to what I'd like in a game in terms of gameplay :/
Blame Konami for that, I'm glad Kojima has the change to make the game he want to make. Someone in other DS thread post an interview showing that Kojima has been thinking about this connection/strand thing from a looong time. I'd say let him get it out from his system.

Hopefully his next game is more mainstream friendly although I hope it's not a stealth game, he must be pretty fed up with stealth game after 20+ years on metal gear.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is amazing so I'm inclined to agree. We've got P.T. out of it and I'm thinking that was enough. I do want to see Kojima tackle a pure horror-game though, but not be tied down with an existing IP.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
He's entitled to think that but Silent Hill is one of my favourite franchises of all time and it's sad to see the current state it's in.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had more fun and was more impressed by the short PT than hours of Death Stranding.

So I tend to disagree

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Would it have been a great Silent Hill game? Who knows. Silent Hill at its best (2) has some pretty sophistacated themes and story telling. Kojima is not a sophisticated story teller.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Thats just like your opinion reedus
A new silent hill game and with inspirations from Junji Ito was stiill far better than "mailman in iceland" to me

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 1/2 way through the game and I can't put it down. You haters should play the game instead of making fools of yourselves.
I'm a little more than halfway through as well. Game is wasted potential both in story and gameplay. Unless something drastically changes Silent Hills probably would've been the better game.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I'm loving Death Stranding to death. Honestly the most unique game I've played this gen.

But I wouldn't go as far, If anything, if both happened it would be way better.

Now, Kojima, time for a true spiritual sucessor to silent Hills, huh? Please? Pretty Please?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i actually agree. silent hill could have been great, but it was also very likely to be worse than SH1/2/3 too. ideally we would have gotten both, but i'm happy we got death stranding.