• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I like Death Stranding so far and I appreciate that Hideo is finally able to have total creative freedom, but I would be lying if I said I would prefer that game over Silent Hills. The Kojima/Del Toro team-up on that series would've been fantastic.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched videos, read reviews, and even asked people here and they all said the game was basically walking for the first couple of hours.

Is this not enough?
To be honest I have a hard time explaining what makes it so good and watching gameplay makes it look pretty mundane.

The gameplay loop is just incredibly addictive and the little details in every system make the game more interesting.

Unlike some games the attention to detail and realism doesn't detract from the fun. Looking at the weather forecast, planning your route, predicting what equipment will be required and how best to carry it on yourself/your vehicle, interacting with other players creations and sharing your own to help each other and the way the game steadily adds new things to the loop keeps things fresh.

Imagine if MGSV was about delivering packages instead of shooting guys, sounds boring right? But it's that well designed that in my opinion the moment-to-moment gameplay is even more enjoyable.

What Remains of Edith Finch is walking for a couple of hours as is Journey but most would agree they are pretty great games.

Last edited:

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I could be crazy, but I'm actually really enjoying my time with Death Stranding and I don't understand the hate comments. Most of the people passing it off as just a package delivery game or walking sim come off like they haven't even tried the game for themselves. It's like they learned that this was not in fact a cleverly disguised Metal Gear game and just went full "meh" after that. But anyway, that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about me going against the grain here and saying that I agree with Norman Reedus here. P.T. was amazing and it elevated just how scary games could be in a way that wouldn't be matched until I played RE7 in VR. It demonstrated that Kojima and his team really had a good grasp not only on what the PS4 hardware could do, but also that they could craft a proper horror atmosphere. But, none of that could get me that hyped for a new Silent Hill game. The franchise had taken so many missteps in the games that came out after Silent Hill 3, that I felt (and still feel) like it couldn't really be salvaged. SH1, 2, and 3 are some of my favorite games of all time. I even enjoyed the first movie despite it getting a but hokey and generic at the end (salem witch trial rehash felt very uninspired). Silent Hill 4 felt like the beginning of the end. The game started interesting but by the time I was going through the same 4 areas again with remixed puzzles, it felt like the devs didn't care anymore and were starting to phone it in. Homecoming just felt like they were trying to shoehorn some of the movie effects into a game and it felt very slapped together, clunky, and again I couldn't press myself to finish it. Origins was a fun little diversion and I appreciate it in much the same way I appreciate the PSP Killzone game, which is a big departure from the FPS titles, but it didn't truly feel like a Silent Hill game. Shattered Memories was the exception for me - that one I love for its sheer creativity in putting a new spin on the events of the first game, and for still feeling like Silent Hill despite the radical change in style (the ice vs all the rust and grime). Downpour I didn't even try, though, because I was feeling too worn out on "bad" silent him games after 4, origins, and Homecoming. Maybe Silent Hills would have been the reboot that the series needed, but with 3 good games in the series and 4 "okay" or "bad" ones, I didn't have a lot of faith. Kojima may have cared about the IP and had the know how and vision to breathe life into it, but I think Konami just wanted fast cash and didn't care enough about it themselves to let him do what needed doing. Metal Gear Survive should stand as testament to how much Konami cares. Death stranding, as divisive as it is, feels fresh and new, and for me at least the social system, the music, the presentation, and even the story so far (I'm on Chapter 6) has been really great. I'm happier with this journey into new, unknown territory than I would have been seeing if someone could "make Silent Hill great again."

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I agree.

People criticise death stranding for being a walking sim but silent hills walking was all you could actually do

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
giphy.gif

Oct 30, 2017
DS opinions seem to be pulling a reverse TOW. TOW was praised on release and then the problems with game balance, difficulty, perk and item usefulness, etc. started to rear its head.

DS releases to heavily divisive opinion, but then people start getting deeper into the game and appreciating it more. That's cool.

I've criticized DS for a while now, but I am happy to see that there is actually something there beyond what the reviewers told us.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda agree and kinda disagree.

I love Death Stranding and think it's amazing, but a Kojima led SH really could have been something special. I think Kojima works better with tighter more linear games like Silent Hill as opposed to the (really) big open world games he has been doing recently.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
PT was a funhouse with not much to do. DS is a sprawling narrative adventure with a lot going for it. I can see why that would be more exciting than a product that never had the chance to get past the initial pitch.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
That was what I was telling a friend yesterday and he agreed. Silent Hills would have been great, no doubt about that. But Death Stranding is really something else. Something unique, fresh and truly great.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm 50/50 here.

I love Death Stranding and am glad we got it; but man, a Silent Hill with Reedus and Kojima? Oh man. Why couldn't we live in a world where we get both?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I miss Silent Hill, A LOT. But I have been so thoroughly engrossed by Death Stranding that I think I actually agree. I have had so many WOW moments and interesting experiences. Silent Hills would have been scary as hell, but DS is something very unique.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Yeah, some final fantasy 15 threads were downright insufferable because of people acting like a cut character from versus 13 who only existed in cg was better than the character in the game.

Which became way funnier when the leaked plot of versus 13 surfaced and it was a disaster and then KH3 came out and it was exceedingly mediocre.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Digging Death Stranding, but as a Silent Hill fan, I would've rather seen Silent Hills come to fruition... it would've been nice if the series went out on a high note after suffering nearly a decade of mediocrity and irrelevance due to Konami's mismanagement.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
If they ended up actually making that SH there's no guarantee it would be good, but I mean it had Guillermo and Junji Ito in the project. I'm willing to bet it would've been a new staple in the horror genre.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'm loving Death Stranding, I still wish Norman wouldn't twist the Silent Hills knife.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest with ourselves: as awesome as PT was, Konami's interference would have ruined Silent Hills.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If it had turned out to be anything like PT I think SH would have been a far better game. As it stands while I'm happy Kojima got to make his vision with DS, I'm not impressed with it as a video game.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Of course he's going to say this, it's a pr campaign. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying what would you expect him to say?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Norman could be right or he could be wrong

I think people romanticize cancelled projects too much

Well this is a little different. First off PT was one of the most hype teasers ever and as a standalone game/project/thing it was an incredibly effectively creepy experience. 2nd it's a new silent Hill which fans have been dying for. It's not like people are just blindly thinking it would be awesome, there was a great foundation there.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game I have never played is my favorite game and therefore is holy, how dare he say this blasphemous thing

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been more disappointed in Norman Reedus than I am right now.

Wait. Boondock Saints 2 exists.

Okay, I've almost never been more disappointed in Norman Reedus than I am right now.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I totally understand someone feeling like there's more to something like DS than a more straight-up horror focused Silent Hills. I think it's awesome that Reedus is able to make this sort of meta-commentary about the projects, and I'm sure the freedom all around in the DS development made it a much more fun project on the actor/developer side of things.

Something totally new vs. an entry in a long-running franchise has to be a world of difference.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Of course he would say that. He'd probably also say Silent Hill was better if Death Stranding had been the game canceled.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is it any good? I think there's too much noise between the fans of Kojima's earlier work. My hype was completely lost at the notion of the wealth of management systems and traversing. Those two aspects of any games is almost always my least favorite, and it's only really justified in terms of its relation to combat and/or exploration that adds to the world building. But this doesn't seem the case for Death Stranding... I can't figure out..

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love Silent Hill but he's right. Death Stranding is an incredible accomplishment by Kojima/KojiPro.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly never expected to agree with Norman but I do. The first few reveals left me worried about the game and it wasn't until the reviews came out that I actually considered picking it up.

And I'm glad I did, it's easily one of the most memorable games I've played in a long time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely nothing that would indicate that Silent Hills would have ended up being better than Death Stranding. Heck Silent Hills would in all likelihood barely resembled P.T. People are just letting their wild imaginations get the best of them. This was still Konami and Silent Hill so the end result would have been questionable regardless of how many big names were attached to the project.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I agree.

Not saying I wouldn't also have liked Silent Hills, but no way would it have been as interesting to play as Death Stranding, it would've been more about the art design or creep factor.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've watched videos, read reviews, and even asked people here and they all said the game was basically walking for the first couple of hours.

Is this not enough?

To claim stuff like this?
DS isn't doing something other games aren't doing, it's simply a mediocre title that will age terribly.

I don't think it is, no; at the very least you should form your own opinion. And keep in mind I myself think Kojima is an overindulged fool who's not nearly as talented as he thinks he is, didn't like any MGS except 1 and 3, and am quite skeptical about DS.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
I don't understand how anyone can agree or disagree with this, it's impossible to say since Silent Hills never got made. It could have ended up as the best horror game of all time, or it could have been awful, we'll never know.