• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Wait.. so dinosaurs actually existed?

giphy.webp

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over how fucking weird that foot looks with a big ol' hoof there.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The "no feathers" posts are embarrassingly ignorant, because:
  1. Not all dinosaurs had feathers, this group had none
  2. Limbs and feet not having feathers doesn't mean an animal is featherless. Have you seen an actual bird before? Bird legs and feet are scaled and have no feathers...
wpid-cassowary-feet-c-wtma.jpg

bae4fa8b9ba7fea61fb521263a05caa3.jpg

Apparently you guys don't just hate science, but also basic biology and reality. Do you believe the earth is flat as well? ;p

Imagine getting this bitter over a joke.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why is it taking this long to share it with the world? I mean yeah, there's studying and science to do on it, but 12 years seems like a really long time before they even present pictures and things of it....

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
In regards to feathers (or protofeathers in the case of dinosaurs), not all dinosaur species would have had them. Carnotaurus is a good example. From wiki

The skeleton is preserved with extensive skin impressions, showing a mosaic of small, non-overlapping scales approximately 5 mm in diameter. The mosaic was interrupted by large bumps that lined the sides of the animal, and there are no hints of feathers.

Of course we know some dinosaurs did have feathers (raptors for example) not all of them did. It's not a case of all dinosaurs either did or did not have feathers.

by the way this discovery is mind-blowing if real. I can't see any news reports at the moment. Has it had any confirmation?

Feb 24, 2018
This is fascinating to behold, currently seeing some friends wanting to ride the like horses (:

Since dinosaur feathers are already in discussion, what is the current standing with palaeontologists on whether Allosaurus had proto feathers? Last time I saw, it was debated because of skin samples showing it didn't have feathers on it's shoulders but Dinosaurs related to them did have feathers.

Also I'm right in saying because of the amount of skin samples we're found, Carnotaurus didn't have feathers or am I remembering that wrong? Either way, let me cuddle my feathery raptors (:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So any source for this or what? Why would a limb be preserved so well with all tissues and flesh and all?

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Did anyone post a source for this information?

I checked the first and last pages and didn't see anything

Oct 26, 2017
In regards to feathers (or protofeathers in the case of dinosaurs), not all dinosaur species would have had them. Carnotaurus is a good example. From wiki

The skeleton is preserved with extensive skin impressions, showing a mosaic of small, non-overlapping scales approximately 5 mm in diameter. The mosaic was interrupted by large bumps that lined the sides of the animal, and there are no hints of feathers.

Of course we know some dinosaurs did have feathers (raptors for example) not all of them did. It's not a case of all dinosaurs either did or did not have feathers.

by the way this discovery is mind-blowing if real. I can't see any news reports at the moment. Has it had any confirmation?

Not forgetting that this is a leg and foot and most birds have unfeathered scaly legs and feet.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's really cool that ornithopods, the first group of dinosaurs known to us, still has so many surprises.

We began by thinking they looked liked this:

iu

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, not all dinosaurs had feathers, at least it was never stated to be.

Yeah agreed

I thought most of these posts are just tongue in cheek playfulness

If we are being serious its clear that some did and some didn't and maybe its even more complicated than that. We have to account for long stretches of time and evolution trees