• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just when I thought North Dakota couldn't get any more backwards.

www.inforum.com

North Dakota rep wants 'American' as race option on forms, says Black Americans 'glad their ancestors were brought here' | INFORUM

New Town Republican Rep. Terry Jones said Black Americans are "glad their ancestors were brought here as slaves" — a comment one Black social activist called extremely racist.

In case article can't be accessed, this is the best part

Jones said he believes in this sentiment because he read a Reader's Digest article from the 1980s in which a Black doctor visited an African country during a period of civil conflict and made remarks about being grateful that his ancestors had been taken to America. Forum News Service's attempts to find the article were unsuccessful.

Did a search, hope this hasn't been posted already.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Mark down another reason why my black ass will never step foot in either of the Dakotas.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
As a North Dakotan, I'm pretty fucking ashamed this man represents the state. I'm also thankful that my state rep is taking him to task about this.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
ChiefLongChafer-max-1mb.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you had to jump back to a reader's digest article from the 80s should be an indicator of how outdated and fucked up your view is

As for the "American as a race" thing I don't think you actually understand what race, ethnicity, and nationality are

OP
OP
Qwark

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
As a North Dakotan, I'm pretty fucking ashamed this man represents the state. I'm also thankful that my state rep is taking him to task about this.
Same, I hope he gets destroyed for this. ND does have some younger, progressive people but they need to get rid of these old racist assholes first.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Do these people have nothing else to think about? They're legislators, isn't there literally anything that needs intervention to the point they're using taxpayer time and money to think about something as trivial as skin colour?

People really need to demand more work out of their elected officials.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why do white people insist on just making shit up about what black people think?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mark down another reason why my black ass will never step foot in either of the Dakotas.
You're not wrong. I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB, and had a few black friends who would hang out. Any time we went into town they'd get stared at. It wasn't hostile, more like they were a curiosity, but still very annoying for them, and this was one of the more liberal college towns.

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't Native American already an option on most forms?

Also.... How could any fucking human ever arrive at the "slavery was actually for the best" opinion without a shred of irony?

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I mean, just to clarify for folks: the ND House of Representatives is 80 Republicans and 14 Democrats, and the ND Senate is 40 Republicans and 7 Democrats. There's not a single Dem elected to a single statewide position right now. Here are the things these worthless fuckers think we need to work on now, in addition to this racist tripe:

- Making having an abortion a murder charge with a 5 year prison term
- Banning transgender student athletes from participating in sports
- Making mask mandates illegal

It's pretty fucking frustrating and awful, and it feels pretty hopeless to try to push against it given those awful odds.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Awful statement for sure. Not his place to say anything.

But it does remind me of a conversation with a friend about how on an existential level he was glad and felt guilty about being glad, for what happened to his ancestors. Weird feeling must be. I'm sure a lot of my ancestors were abused and abusers, sometimes both but I don't think I can have quite the same parallel.

Reminds me also of my father however, jokingly, berating my grandfather for immigrating and how he'd be better off staying where he was. My father would have never been born in that scenario lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Before even getting into the yikes, American is a nationality and not a race?