• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me is beginning to suspect that North Korea's nuclear programme and/or facilities have collapsed and they literally can't perform tests anymore.

Yeah. Something happened that nuclear tests just aren't feasible anymore, so to initiate peace(To be the ones asking for it) well give them SOME good will until they can start testing again?

I might be looking at it from a different angle but just how rough was that mountain collapse back in October? Could that have been so catastrophic that it forced Kim Jong Un to do a 180?

Hm. If it collapsed in October, then they probably were given 6 months to evaluate the damages and then well..this is the result?

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
(was posting this in the other thread but it got locked as I was typing due to being a dupe)

You can recite NK's promises to Obama and Clinton from 2012 and 1994 as evidence as to why this one won't be adhered to either but those promises from 2012 and 1994 didn't include a scheduled talk to end a 60 year war. To those who say the war is symbolic only -- well then perhaps another President should've helped end it a long time ago, but they didn't. It would be a monumental, historical moment if the war officially ended (along with this promise of no more missile tests and possible denuclearization).

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was always NKs plan and no administration had anything to do with it.
Whether his administration did or didn't doesn't matter in the end. Trump will be able to use this effectively for reelection. This is a megaton win for him. With his domestic policy going well for him as well, he's in a great position come 2020.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody thinking Trump being Trump (stupid and antagonistics af) has anything to do with this has to realize geopolitics isn't middle school. We're at this point because NKs nuclear program reached the point it did, the regime change in SK, and other factors.

Like you can't actually think a US president being a whiny bitch on Twitter "has caught NK and Kim by surprise", not to mention his dismantling of his state department.

Oct 30, 2017
(was posting this in the other thread but it got locked as I was typing due to being a dupe)

You can recite NK's promises to Obama and Clinton from 2012 and 1994 as evidence as to why this one won't be adhered to either but those promises from 2012 and 1994 didn't include a scheduled talk to end a 60 year war. To those who say the war is symbolic only -- well then perhaps another President should've helped end it a long time ago, but they didn't. It would be a monumental, historical moment if the war officially ended (along with this promise of no more missile tests and possible denuclearization).

Perhaps because other Presidents didn't see the importance in spending time and energy on a symbolic gesture and instead focused on the nuclear program? We could postulate about it a lot but the history of North Korea's lies and playing games is not in doubt.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
"No need to test anymore" cause we have one ready to launch for real. Go crazy conspiracy theorists.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sleepnaught said:
Whether his administration did or didn't doesn't matter in the end. Trump will be able to use this effectively for reelection. This is a megaton win for him. With his domestic policy going well for him as well, he's in a great position come 2020.

Lol, the hell he is. He's massively unpopular, republicans are getting trounced in nearly every election throughout the country on a regular basis (especially the republicans he endorses) and his initial victory was by such a slim margin there is no reason whatsoever to suspect Trump has much hope. He probably won't even be the republican nominee.

Oct 30, 2017

Trump is far under-performing his predecessors in terms of domestic legislative agenda. Partly due to the fact that he is more unpopular than they were in the critical first year+ of his presidency.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Perhaps because other Presidents didn't see the importance in spending time and energy on a symbolic gesture and instead focused on the nuclear program? We could postulate about it a lot but the history of North Korea's lies and playing games is not in doubt.
I see people saying an official end to the Korean war would be a huge, monumental, historic event if it happened, and others downplaying it and brushing it off as a symbolic gesture that previous presidents must not have seen the importance in. Who is right? (Not being condescending)

Oct 29, 2017
"weirdest timeline" lol.

jIWkJpG.png

Maybe wait until North Korea does something rather than says something.

I'm just gonna quote these again because some (a lot) of people in this thread seem to think this has never happened before.

Maybe wait a couple of minutes before crowning Trump the king of peace lmao

Oct 30, 2017
I see people saying an official end to the Korean war would be a huge, monumental, historic event if it happened, and others downplaying it and brushing it off as a symbolic gesture that previous presidents must not have seen the importance in. Who is right? (Not being condescending)

I guess it depends on the person you ask and what their priorities are. I'm more of a practical person so symbolism means nothing to me but others may be more into it.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm just gonna quote these again because some (a lot) of people in this thread seem to think this has never happened before.

Maybe wait a couple of minutes before crowning Trump the king of peace lmao
Like I said in my post above, those two times previous didn't include a scheduled end to the 60 year long Korean war, symbolic war or not.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
If this continues to hold and results in a lasting peace, the end result speaks for itself. The speciation on the reasons and the unknown of the real reason behind it wouldn't diminish the end result.

Oct 30, 2017
This is the weirdest fucking timeline. If I look out the window and see fucking Odin descending from the clouds my only thought could possibly be "eh it's friday."

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Really hard to believe this tweet happened earlier this year:

Maybe people will say Trump did this, but I would credit the people from both South and North Korea in working together to find a solution together, which seemed to start happening after the Olympics were held in South Korea a few months ago.

I don't know all of the details in how this all came to be, but there was something special in watching both Koreas marching together there. It felt like the start of something.

Oct 29, 2017
Whatever it is, it wasn't proclaimed to be happening when NK made those promises prior in 2012 and 1994. I think this is a significant difference.

It really isn't. If you want to believe this means world peace and rainbows for all that's your prerogative, but my post is pointing out this isn't the first time that North Korea has promised an end to their nuclear program and, well, it's factually correct.

there are multiple rumors that talk are about to go underway

Rumors of talks that are maybe gonna start =/= "the war is scheduled to end".

Words matter. It's weird that so many in this thread are just throwing so many terms loosely.

Oct 30, 2017
October 2015: North Korea willing to sign peace treaty with US to end conflict.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...o-end-conflict-with-us-with-peace-treaty.html

Can some of you see how those of us who followed this stuff or lived it in the past are so annoyed by people who think this is all new?

October 2002: North Korea seeks non-aggression pact with US

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/north-korea-seeks-non-aggression-pact-with-us-1.443402

They lie again and again and again hoping to ensnare a new generation of people who have forgotten the last time.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump landing NK peace for Democrats would be like Obama landing Osama was for Republicans.

Hold your nose. The end result is an objective net positive.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"weirdest timeline" lol.

jIWkJpG.png

Maybe wait until North Korea does something rather than says something.
This was broken because NK launched a satellite that the US said was a missile test.

The US "broke" it because it wasn't clear what the agreement was. That's why the meetings are important to clarify what this means. (Also note that the US announced this so it was breaking an "agreement" this time its NK announcing it on its own and it need not break an agreement since none has been made)

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
How many Noble Peace prize winners later got dragged off to prison? This is a weird timeline.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really think this was Kim telling his generals "I grew up in Europe, I understand the occidental mindset. His speech at the UN was self-humiliating. He has even threatened fire and fury against us, on Twitter! He is making a fool of himself, a rabid dog! I know how to trick him; I will become a man of peace, declare that we unconditionally propose an end to war, and he will lose all credibility when he responds with anger! China and the whole world will condemn this madman's words and support our case, as I present myself as a dove. The more peace I offer, the more boastful and angry he will be!"

And his generals really didn't like the idea, but he told them to trust him.

And now, it's not working, Trump is being all nice, and the generals are death-starring Kim.