• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More in the link https://apnews.com/5e747986f9204bd88ed0b38ab314c22a
AP said:
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will soon decide whether to continue diplomatic talks and maintain his moratorium on missile launches and nuclear tests, a senior North Korean official said Friday, adding that the U.S. threw away a golden opportunity at the recent summit between their leaders.

She said Pyongyang now has no intention of compromising or continuing talks unless the United States takes measures that are commensurate to the changes it has taken — such as the 15-month moratorium on launches and tests — and changes its "political calculation."

Choe, who attended the Feb. 27-28 talks in Hanoi, said Kim was puzzled by what she called the "eccentric" negotiation position of the U.S. She suggested that while Trump was more willing to talk, an atmosphere of hostility and mistrust was created by the uncompromising demands of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton. She said statements by senior Trump advisers since the summit have further worsened the climate.

The result of maximalist demands on the part of the US. We may see testing in April.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What belies everything here is how hesitant Trump is going to prove himself in case of a massive geopolitical shitshow. And frankly, there's too many itchy actors than I like right now.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Kim really ran Trump through the ringer for nothing but a return to the status quo.

This is worse than the status quo for us because now NK is completely legitimized thanks to Trump. Even worse, they come out looking like the "reasonable" ones in comparison to the cowboy circus that is Trump's admin.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
North Korea is holding the region hostage with those nukes. There's no way they will ever give up that leverage unless they get some kind of unconditional Marshall Plan.

I think people might look back at this time period and wonder why we didn't take action while we still had the chance. Once the North Korean nuclear program becomes fully developed they will be untouchable. Obviously China doesn't want western forces on their doorstep, but surely they too can see the dangers of a rogue nuclear state.

I guess this makes me sounds pretty hawkish, but sometimes the best long-term solution requires short-term sacrifice. Best case scenario it would be Gulf War 1 Round 2, worst case scenario a major city in Korea gets nuked. I just don't see any scenario short of a regime change where North Korea plays ball.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
North Korea has played Trump like a goddamn fiddle. They've elevated their status and legitimacy internationally, and had to give nothing in return.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
North Korea is holding the region hostage with those nukes. There's no way they will ever give up that leverage unless they get some kind of unconditional Marshall Plan.

I think people might look back at this time period and wonder why we didn't take action while we still had the chance. Once the North Korean nuclear program becomes fully developed they will be untouchable. Obviously China doesn't want western forces on their doorstep, but surely they too can see the dangers of a rogue nuclear state.

I guess this makes me sounds pretty hawkish, but sometimes the best long-term solution requires short-term sacrifice. Best case scenario it would be Gulf War 1 Round 2, worst case scenario a major city in Korea gets nuked. I just don't see any scenario short of a regime change where North Korea plays ball.

Well the problem is we don't know all the facts. The whole situation is very muddled due to the actions of Trump and co.

One thing that must not be underestimated is the fact that the United States could launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike against North Korea in order to take out all of their weapons. Outside of that, any sort of conventional strike ranges from risky to outright foolish from what I have read.

Again, this is just all armchair general nonsense, but the situation going back to one of outright hostilities after a brief thaw could be a disaster. Especially if Trump stays on as President post 2020. Actually, who is President and who they have around them might not matter much in the future. The US either has to accept North Korea as a nuclear state, work from within that framework and move on, or sit in a state of perpetual open hostility.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me you won't be doing much of the sacrificing, Jroc. Or will you?

Worst case scenario is that SK and Japan are nuked and hit by chemical and biological weapons. The United States could quite possibly get hit with multiple ICBMs. Most Americans and the President are bipartisan on their ignorance of that, believing even if they launched them at us we would shoot them all down. The President was even quoted saying that our missile defense system has a 97% success rate, which is factually incorrect. It's MUCH less reliable.

NK will get steamrolled, but then there's the economic impact, environmental impact, large number of refugees, severe damage to the reputation of the US and ties to its allies (especially SK), etc, etc.

The North doesn't have to "play ball." They can be contained and deterred while reassuring our allies. We need to stop ignoring NK and take the threat seriously. But when I say seriously, I don't mean in a psychopathic "let's sacrifice (murder) the Asians on that other continent to get rid of the nukes" sort of way.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Trump will hold another summitt the day the Mueller report is released.

And then he'll walk away again saying it was the Democrats' fault.