• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean, in the context of this case, they had no problem providing a cake for them. Where it gets dicey is the "art" part of the industry. Some people may not feel that way about cake decorating but certainly anyone in that industry probably views it as some kind of artistic expression and thus decorating it is more like a commissioned work

I'm not sure where your argument of "It's your job, you have to do it" comes into play in this case.

Maybe it's different in Ireland but the context changes when it's a public business that's open to the public that generally makes a product and puts what the customer wants on it. Exceptions based on bigotry shouldn't be tolerated. It's common sense that the sentiments of the cake are those of the person who purchased and asked for the cake and not the baker. So saying "I don't agree with it" is kinda moot.

It is discrimination because the desire to not write it is 100% bigotry. People don't see it as discrimination because conservative fuckhead racists have screamed so loud that gay marriage is a political issue that some folks take it as truth similar to how loud idiots declare climate change is a hoax. The way this issue is framed is just shameful because a lot are buying into thay gay marriage is a political issue.

Thank you. Holy shit.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe it's different in Ireland but the context changes when it's a public business that's open to the public that generally makes a product and puts what the customer wants on it. Exceptions based on bigotry shouldn't be tolerated. It's common sense that the sentiments of the cake are those of the person who purchased and asked for the cake and not the baker. So saying "I don't agree with it" is kinda moot.

Thank you. Holy shit.
Northern Ireland, not Ireland - different country.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
"Technically it's not discrimination because they'd refuse to make a pro gay cake for anyone regardless of sexual orientation"

That's some expert level bending over backwards to justify bigotry.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
Please educate me then. From my understanding, homophobia is having a prejudice against LGBTQ in a discriminatory manner but if someone were to say "You are fully within your right to be gay but I don't agree with it because of X" then is that considered homophobia?

Replace 'gay' with 'black' in that sentence and ask yourself if it sounds racist. Both are identities not created by choice that should be respected equally to any other.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
"Technically it's not discrimination because they'd refuse to make a pro gay cake for anyone regardless of sexual orientation"

That's some expert level bending over backwards to justify bigotry.
Noone said it wasn't bigotry - you can be bigoted, it's not illegal to be bigoted. We are talking about a place where an elected politician put a Kingsmill loaf on his bread and filmed it to mock the 12 people who died in the Kingsmill massacre just before the anniversary of it - he wasn't prosecuted for it. Being a horrible person is not illegal - boycott the place, don't shop their, don't buy there and spread to everyone that was done there - it may not be illegal but that doesn't mean it was wrong. I just don't see a way of changing the law which would not require persecuted minorities to put do services for political views/parties they disagree with.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I can kinda see the rational behind this given how if the bakery lost this could set a precedent for harmful slogans from a variety of different businesses?

like if you asked a company that made banners to make you a giant nazi banner, if the bakery lost couldnt this make it so the company couldnt refuse?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
should have asked them to write "prevent gay suicide" on the cake and watch them sweat

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Well this is not a surprise for anyone who has lived here long enough and is aware of the history of the place that these christian, right-wing bigots have been oppressing people for as long as they have been here.

They are the same people the DUP come from, they are sectarian, homophobic, xenophobic and every other negative tag you can imagine.

They have blocked gay marriage (all other parties supported mostly), the gay blood ban is enforced by these clowns, they protest pride, they have even protested Harry Potter book releases as witchcraft. They are fucking jokes, unfortunately they keep getting voted in and given power.

They ran an apartheid government for almost 50 years until it was collapsed due to the troubles, these types are what created the conditions (along with British Colonialism) that led to a 30 year bloodbath that saw tragic losses in all communities. Hate is their legacy.

They are also holding Brexit to ransom with their minority position on Northern Ireland with relation to Brexit (majority voted against, majority that voted for are DUP)

A group of people so toxic it spewed a group of serial killers who tortured people and slit their throats right to the bone because they where Catholic / identified as Irish.

In a way I am sad that others are dealing with their hateful fucking ways, but I am glad they are being further exposed to the world for their hate.

Hateful bastards.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Well this is not a surprise for anyone who has lived here long enough and is aware of the history of the place that these christian, right-wing bigots have been oppressing people for as long as they have been here.

They are the same people the DUP come from, they are sectarian, homophobic, xenophobic and every other negative tag you can imagine.

They have blocked gay marriage (all other parties supported mostly), the gay blood ban is enforced by these clowns, they protest pride, they have even protested Harry Potter book releases as witchcraft. They are fucking jokes, unfortunately they keep getting voted in and given power.

They ran an apartheid government for almost 50 years until it was collapsed due to the troubles, these types are what created the conditions (along with British Colonialism) that led to a 30 year bloodbath that saw tragic losses in all communities. Hate is their legacy.

They are also holding Brexit to ransom with their minority position on Northern Ireland with relation to Brexit (majority voted against, majority that voted for are DUP)

A group of people so toxic it spewed a group of serial killers who tortured people and slit their throats right to the bone because they where Catholic / identified as Irish.

In a way I am sad that others are dealing with their hateful fucking ways, but I am glad they are being further exposed to the world for their hate.

Hateful bastards.
Are we really going to pretend it's just the DUP and it's British Colonialism, and that it's not alot more complicated that that? Also the DUP didn't exist til after the Troubles started. And Sinn Fein are just as bad. They actually do have convicted murderers as their Special Advisors. My dad lost 4 friends in the Troubles and nearly got killed himself, and I have had to grow up in a divided country where I've been told when I was like 5 that I didn't believe in God and was a heathen cus I was a protestant by a neighbour girl down the street who I actually played with cus "her principal told her so". I went to an SDLP meeting at Uni with a friend and a Ulster Unionist MLA was there because he was invited by a lecturer and he answere their questions and was polite. A guy after he left asked "Who invited one of them?" and everyone laughed and snickered. Northern Ireland is alot more complicated then you are acting, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't go around talking about something you don't seem to know much about (some of your history is just wrong).

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Look im as liberal and pro gay as anyone, but in this case, i dont think anyone should be compelled by law to do something like this if they dont believe in it. Like if i ran a print shop i wouldnt want someone coming in telling me "You have to print all my Trump 2020 posters or ill sue you". No. fuck out of my shop with that shit. Do i think its shitty and bigoted of the cake shop owners? Yeah, theyre pricks. But as i said, i wouldnt want someone telling me that my business has to create something with a logo on it that is against MY beliefs either

Yeah I kinda agree with this. I may think their beliefs are wrong but I don't think anyone should be forced by law to print something against their beliefs as part of their business.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Noone said it wasn't bigotry - you can be bigoted, it's not illegal to be bigoted. We are talking about a place where an elected politician put a Kingsmill loaf on his bread and filmed it to mock the 12 people who died in the Kingsmill massacre just before the anniversary of it - he wasn't prosecuted for it. Being a horrible person is not illegal - boycott the place, don't shop their, don't buy there and spread to everyone that was done there - it may not be illegal but that doesn't mean it was wrong. I just don't see a way of changing the law which would not require persecuted minorities to put do services for political views/parties they disagree with.
Stop trying to act like this is about thought policing bigotry. This is about concrete actions that bigots take, and it is definitely not legal to act on bigotry in many cases, because people fight for laws to be changed

Change doesn't happen through people sitting around and saying "well technically it's not illegal".

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Stop trying to act like this is about thought policing bigotry. This is about concrete actions that bigots take, and it is definitely not legal to act on bigotry in many cases, because people fight for laws to be changed

Change doesn't happen through people sitting around and saying "well technically it's not illegal".
I don't see a law were you can make it illegal to do this without also stopping people on the other side of the spectrum from refusing service to political views/parties they disagree with. For example, cus of Northern Ireland's history being Protestant or Catholic is a protected class here - that would mean it could be seen as discrimination for a gay baker to refuse to make a cake with a message supporting the DUP on it as they are the major unionist party and it could be seen as discriminating against a Protestant customer. Or say a victim of the IRA refuses to make Leaflets for Sinn Fein - I hate what Ashers stand for but it's alot more complicated then you are making it out to be. To me freedom of expression also means freedom to refuse - just like I think it's fine for this place to refuse to discuss Gamergate as "it was about ethics in videogame journalism". Things are slowly changing in Northern Ireland - 33% of DUP supporters support Gay Marriage, 33 % don't care either way and 33 % are opposed. 10 years ago it would have been way on the other side. I am in favor of gay rights, I want a referendum on the issue so that the actual people have a say and not the parties which are mostly voted in on one issue anyway (Unionist vs Nationalist). I just don't see a way of making the law which would make the bakers make the cake while not messing up other shit and hurting a bunch of other people including the LGBT community.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't see a law were you can make it illegal to do this without also stopping people on the other side of the spectrum from refusing service to political views/parties they disagree with. For example, cus of Northern Ireland's history being Protestant or Catholic is a protected class here - that would mean it could be seen as discrimination for a gay baker to refuse to make a cake with a message supporting the DUP on it as they are the major unionist party and it could be seen as discriminating against a Protestant customer. Or say a victim of the IRA refuses to make Leaflets for Sinn Fein - I hate what Ashers stand for but it's alot more complicated then you are making it out to be. To me freedom of expression also means freedom to refuse - just like I think it's fine for this place to refuse to discuss Gamergate as "it was about ethics in videogame journalism". Things are slowly changing in Northern Ireland - 33% of DUP supporters support Gay Marriage, 33 % don't care either way and 33 % are opposed. 10 years ago it would have been way on the other side. I am in favor of gay rights, I want a referendum on the issue so that the actual people have a say and not the parties which are mostly voted in on one issue anyway (Unionist vs Nationalist). I just don't see a way of making the law which would make the bakers make the cake while not messing up other shit and hurting a bunch of other people including the LGBT community.
Research the civil rights act. It works fine, and it is necessary. This is not a slippery slope.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Research the civil rights act. It works fine, and it is necessary. This is not a slippery slope.
We have pretty much the same act except our is even better as it can protect for people thinking you are a certain religion. gender ,sexuality, disability etc and discriminating you, even when you aren't. i think you may need to do a bit more research yourself.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
We have pretty much the same act except our is even better as it can protect for people thinking you are a certain religion. gender ,sexuality, disability etc and discriminating you, even when you aren't. i think you may need to do a bit more research yourself.
It's clearly not working given the ruling.

By all means, go ahead and explain to me what gets "messed up" by forcing a baker to bake a fucking cake for gay people.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sexual orientation is really not equivalent to race. One is fluid the other is not.
When people say "fluid" they mean that the spectrum from heterosexuality to homosexuality is not marked by discrete points but is instead continuous. You can't really say you are 80% gay, for instance. It doesn't mean that it changes (but one's perception of their sexuality might). We still have labels to define these things but it doesn't really capture all the nuances. Gender identity is in the same boat.

Race is different because, as a social construct, we still define that through distinct definitions. For example, on an application you'd fill in if you were white, black, Asian, or such. A person's ethnicity is more nuanced, but you can trace back your lineage to determine how much of one ethnic group you are, so that can't be described as fluid either; saying you are 30% of this group and 70% of that group is perfectly valid.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Did you just quote yourself? No, it's a simple reminder that it is not the same as race so please don't equivocate the two.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's clearly not working given the ruling.

By all means, go ahead and explain to me what gets "messed up" by forcing a baker to bake a fucking cake for gay people.
They do bake cakes for gay people - that was the problem, they didn't discriminate against gay customers, they had literally baked wedding cakes for gay customers before. And it's not like there weren't alot of gay people who also didn't agree with the case either. The bakery did not believe in gay marriage - they are not required to make products supporting gay marriage. And if you change the law that way, you change the law for every dicriminated group which has political views or political parties associated with it which includes Protestant or Catholics which makes up basically nearly 100% of the population. Which means you can argue that you can refuse service for anything - like for example the idea of a gay baker being forced to do a message in support of DUP on a cake despite they are against gay marriage because a Protestant customer asked for it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Did you just quote yourself? No, it's a simple reminder that it is not the same as race so please don't equivocate the two.
Oh right, I forgot the point I was supposed to make.

Basically, whether one aspect of a person is fluid or not is irrelevant; sexual orientation and race are immutable aspects of a person's identity and should both be treated with respect.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
They do bake cakes for gay people - that was the problem, they didn't discriminate against gay customers, they had literally baked wedding cakes for gay customers before. And it's not like there weren't alot of gay people who also didn't agree with the case either. The bakery did not believe in gay marriage - they are not required to make products supporting gay marriage. And if you change the law that way, you change the law for every dicriminated group which has political views or political parties associated with it which includes Protestant or Catholics which makes up basically nearly 100% of the population. Which means you can argue that you can refuse service for anything - like for example the idea of a gay baker being forced to do a message in support of DUP on a cake despite they are against gay marriage because a Protestant customer asked for it.
How do you not understand that "not believing in gay marriage" is inherently bigoted?

"I believe that straight people should be able to get married but not gay people" is the antithesis of equality. This should not be controversial.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Can you get ISIS Support posters made at most print shops?

Can you order an Osama worship banner from most companies easily?

If you have digital pictures of extremely graphic sexual encounters, does the CVS attendant have to develop them?

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, I forgot the point I was supposed to make.

Basically, whether one aspect of a person is fluid or not is irrelevant; sexual orientation and race are immutable aspects of a person's identity and should both be treated with respect.
Yes, everyone deserves respect. That said, speaking from personal experience, sexuality is not immutable. That's not a conversation for this topic though.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yes, everyone deserves respect. That said, speaking from personal experience, sexuality is not immutable. That's not a conversation for this topic though.
I think you're mixing up a person's sexuality with a person's perception of their sexuality. I'm gay and I thought I was straight until I was in high school, but that doesn't mean that I turned gay. I was always gay and had to take some introspection of myself to understand that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
How do you not understand that "not believing in gay marriage" is inherently bigoted?

"I believe that straight people should be able to get married but not gay people" is the antithesis of equality. This should not be controversial.
It's bigoted - I've repeated again and again that it's bigoted. But I don't see a way of changing the law without curtailing other people's right to refuse service based on political belief - I don't want victims to be forced to have to go against their beliefs which this case would have caused. My above example is not an extreme - that could defintely have happened if you upheld the case brought by the Equality Commision. Look I think we are on the same side here - if you can legetimentaly find a way to make a law were that wouldn't happen, I'd love to here it. But I don't think even your US law of Civil Rights Act would have held up the right to get that message on the cake,

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
We can support gay and women rights without having to compare their struggle to black people

Every time man like clock work

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're mixing up a person's sexuality with a person's perception of their sexuality. I'm gay and I thought I was straight until I was in high school, but that doesn't mean that I turned gay. I was always gay and had to take some introspection of myself to understand that.
Not mixing up anything. If it doesn't manifest one way, it isn't that way until it is.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Can you get ISIS Support posters made at most print shops?

Can you order an Osama worship banner from most companies easily?
Do you think this comparison works, seeing how that's a group responsible for terrible atrocities? I'm actually pretty sure there are hate speech laws that would apply, seeing how openly supporting ISIS is clearly inciting violence.
Who is getting murdered by people for gay marriage? Against whom do gay people preach violence? Since the answer is "nobody", I really don't see how the comparison makes sense.

If you have digital pictures of extremely graphic sexual encounters, does the CVS attendant have to develop them
I think so. I've heard stories about exactly this happening.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's bigoted - I've repeated again and again that it's bigoted. But I don't see a way of changing the law without curtailing other people's right to refuse service based on political belief - I don't want victims to be forced to have to go against their beliefs which this case would have caused. My above example is not an extreme - that could defintely have happened if you upheld the case brought by the Equality Commision. Look I think we are on the same side here - if you can legetimentaly find a way to make a law were that wouldn't happen, I'd love to here it. But I don't think even your US law of Civil Rights Act would have held up the right to get that message on the cake,
But it's so mind numbingly simple. If your belief involves you infringing upon the equal treatment of a protected class, you are not entitled to that belief.

This would not be confusing to you if it were someone saying "I'm okay baking cakes, I just don't want to make a cake that supports women having careers by writing 'congratulations on the promotion Jennifer' on the cake"

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Sexuality is more complicated than that. It's not really a manner of it manifesting; a person's sexuality is always present and it's up to the individual to recognize that part of themselves.
But people aren't static and that part of themselves may not have developed until later in life. That doesn't mean it was always present.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Do you think this comparison works, seeing how that's a group responsible for terrible atrocities? I'm actually pretty sure there are hate speech laws that would apply, seeing how openly supporting ISIS is clearly inciting violence.
Who is getting murdered by people for gay marriage? Against whom do gay people preach violence? Since the answer is "nobody", I really don't see how the comparison makes sense.

I think so. I've heard stories about exactly this happening.

It's because I wouldn't want those to be able to happen in those scenarios.

This person is 100% a shit bag for not writing a simple message but it looks like the law protects them under the authority of the business. If the law compelled them to make the cake, then that opens the print shop to making ISIS flyers, the banner company has to make an offensive banner etc..

If I walked in asking for a "Love Black People" cake and they refused.. I'd have a better argument for direct discrimination. The sleazy Baker is able sidestep the law by offering the civil partnership cakes and hiding behind religious reasons.

I'm also of mind that I would never want to spend money at such a Baker and would gladly find the many who wouldn't have an issue making my needs

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
But it's so mind numbingly simple. If your belief involves you infringing upon the equal treatment of a protected class, you are not entitled to that belief.

This would not be confusing to you if it were someone saying "I'm okay baking cakes, I just don't want to make a cake that supports women having careers by writing 'congratulations on the promotion Jennifer' on the cake"
I would think that guy is an ass but would be fine with that being allowed. And you do realise Northern Ireland does not have gay marriage right? So that's not seen as a protected right. Nor is being in favor of woman having careers - you just wouldn't be allowed to not hire them cus they are woman. Equal treatment of a protected class is being seen an stoping them from having employment or service because of that discrimination. Political beliefs against them are allowed. I don't see who your law would actually work without basically forcing people regardless of political opinion to have to provide service to an oposing political. Religious denomination is a protected class in Northern Ireland, and has equal footing to LGBT, what happens when you pit a Protestant customer with a DUP cake against a gay baker, who wins out? You haven't actually put any solutions or any ideas of laws, and only say it's really simple and then accuse me that if it happened to woman I'd want it against the law. No i'd boycott them just like I am doing to Asher's bakery.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This person is 100% a shit bag for not writing a simple message but it looks like the law protects them under the authority of the business. If the law compelled them to make the cake, then that opens the print shop to making ISIS flyers, the banner company has to make an offensive banner etc..
No, that's not the case if proper hate speech laws exist. Making ISIS flyers is clearly inciting violence, thus illegal, thus the print shop doesn't have to do anything.
That's why I think the comparison doesn't work.

I'm also of mind that I would never want to spend money at such a Baker and would gladly find the many who wouldn't have an issue making my needs
See, I'm sure you'd gladly find many, but in some situations, you might just be screwed, because "the many" don't exist in a way that's helpful to you.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
No, that's not the case if proper hate speech laws exist. Making ISIS flyers is clearly inciting violence, thus illegal, thus the print shop doesn't have to do anything.
That's why I think the comparison doesn't work.
What about a person who'd lost family to the IRA but they were forced to make flyers for Sinn Fein, the legal political wing of the IRA who are actually in government and would not go under hate speech laws? What then?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look im as liberal and pro gay as anyone, but in this case, i dont think anyone should be compelled by law to do something like this if they dont believe in it. Like if i ran a print shop i wouldnt want someone coming in telling me "You have to print all my Trump 2020 posters or ill sue you". No. fuck out of my shop with that shit. Do i think its shitty and bigoted of the cake shop owners? Yeah, theyre pricks. But as i said, i wouldnt want someone telling me that my business has to create something with a logo on it that is against MY beliefs either

Pretty much. It's possible to believe the baker had a right do refuse that specific cake and simultaneously think it was petty.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I would think that guy is an ass but would be fine with that being allowed. And you do realise Northern Ireland does not have gay marriage right? So that's not seen as a protected right. Nor is being in favor of woman having careers - you just wouldn't be allowed to not hire them cus they are woman. Equal treatment of a protected class is being seen an stoping them from having employment or service because of that discrimination. Political beliefs against them are allowed. I don't see who your law would actually work without basically forcing people regardless of political opinion to have to provide service to an oposing political. Religious denomination is a protected class in Northern Ireland, and has equal footing to LGBT, what happens when you pit a Protestant customer with a DUP cake against a gay baker, who wins out? You haven't actually put any solutions or any ideas of laws, and only say it's really simple and then accuse me that if it happened to woman I'd want it against the law. No i'd boycott them just like I am doing to Asher's bakery.
I don't know what to tell you if you're not against basic discrimination against women.

This seems to be a legal issue to you, rather than a moral one. I have no problem forcing a person to treat someone with equality even if their religious beliefs call for them to be a bigot. Laws change, often times because they should. I don't care if discrimination is legal, it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.

You want the "solution" to protect the rights of religious people who want to be bigots. I don't. That's why this is a complex issue for you and a simple issue for me.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What about a person who'd lost family to the IRA but they were forced to make flyers for Sinn Fein, the legal political wing of the IRA who are actually in government and would not go under hate speech laws? What then?
That would be awful, yes. The thing is, there is no perfect solution. I think the downsides of requiring people to finish the product regardless of icing text are less severe than the downsides of letting them choose to discriminate, like in the case that caused this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
It's because I wouldn't want those to be able to happen in those scenarios.

If I walked in asking for a "Love Black People" cake and they refused.. I'd have a better argument for direct discrimination. The sleazy Baker is able sidestep the law by offering the civil partnership cakes and hiding behind religious reasons.

I think a better more apt example would be

"I LOVE JIM CROW"

like, yeah, fuck outta here allowing that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know what to tell you if you're not against basic discrimination against women.

This seems to be a legal issue to you, rather than a moral one. I have no problem forcing a person to treat someone with equality even if their religious beliefs call for them to be a bigot. Laws change, often times because they should. I don't care if discrimination is legal, it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong.

You want the "solution" to protect the rights of religious people who want to be bigots. I don't. That's why this is a complex issue for you and a simple issue for me.
I don't want woman to have to provide services to people who are sexist to them, I don't want LGBT people to have to provide services to people that were homophobic to them, I don't want minorities to be forced to provide services to people who were racist to them. I believe in the right to refuse service for political beliefs - it works the other way. And you haven't come up with a way of protecting that right. You ignore the problems I come up with - it is a legal issue because it's about making law.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
But people aren't static and that part of themselves may not have developed until later in life. That doesn't mean it was always present.
Yes, people aren't static, but the aspects of a person's identity are static by definition. If such an aspect could be changed then it is useless as an identifier.

Just to give my own life as a counterargument, going to a religious school throughout my childhood made me a rather late bloomer when it came to sexual orientation. I barely even knew what being gay was, and I didn't start questioning myself until I was in 9th grade. However, once I came to terms with my sexuality previous things in my life started to make more sense, such as why I never romantically cared about the other girls in my class. Up until I came upon that realization I thought I was straight, but now I know more about myself. I didn't change from being straight to being gay. I was always gay, I just didn't perceive myself to be until later in life. My perception of myself changed, not my sexuality.

You may see a story like this and think "well yeah, you're not attracted to girls, of course you're gay", but depending on the person and/or their environment they may have trouble accepting themselves or even be completely oblivious to this sort of thing. That's why such a thing is complicated.