• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
A person has been injured in a shooting at a mosque in the suburb of Baerum in the Norwegian capital Oslo. Police said a suspect has been arrested.

A shooting inside a Mosque in the Norwegian capital Oslo on Saturday has left one person injured, police said.

The shooting occurred at the al-Noor Islamic center in Baerum, a suburb in Oslo.

Police said a suspect had been arrested and there was no indication more people were involved, the Agence France-Presse news agency reported.

"One person is shot. The severity of that person's injuries is unknown. One suspect is arrested. The police are working at the location," Oslo police posted on Twitter.

Police said they had no information about the suspect, other than he was described as "white."

"One of our members has been shot by a white man with a helmet and uniform," Irfan Mushtaq, head of the mosque, told local paper Budstikka.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
wouldn't it be some fucked up shit if people in other countries start shooting up places and then we find out they were inspired by trump.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
If the terrorist's MO was to rid Norway of muslims, then this has already backfired big time. Norway is exceptionally good at coming together and showing support in situations like this. If anything, he has achieved the opposite of what he set out to do.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
No one being killed in these kind of situations is amazing and beautiful news, which tragically doesn't appear much when these things occur(it's usually loss of life you hear about). Sad that someone was injured though, but hope they pull through. Kudos to the law enforcement folks for the quick arrest and containment.

This will likely only bring the community closer together, since they are likely all in an inclusive environment, unlike certain other places in the world.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So according to the news the perpetrator had bulletproof vest on and had several guns on him. He was overpowered by 3 people at the mosque, one of whom apparently sat on the perpetrator, while waiting for the police.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
So according to the news the perpetrator had bulletproof vest on and had several guns on him. He was overpowered by 3 people at the mosque, one of whom apparently sat on the perpetrator, while waiting for the police.
Wow. This could have been another Quebec City situation.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear that there were no fatalities, and I hope the victim's injuries are treatable. Horrible situation to have happened.

It is kinda funny visualising a heavily armed terrorist literally being sat on by the very people he's trying to kill.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Oh wow, I was wondering why there was only one casualty. These people usually go for numbers. Those people who took him down are legit heroes.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Too close. Any word if it's classed as terrorism?

That has implications for the investigative mandate and the sharing of knowledge between countries.

Edit: Could be relevant if this tracks to Reddit,8chan and such.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Also according to norwegian news the guy who first rushed and overpowered the shooter was in his 70's

All the local mosques around here have now had seminars on what to do in active shooter scenarios. It's sad.

However, rushing the shooter is a legitimate strategy, as sad as it is. Usually these guys are fucking cowards and can be overpowered easily. In New Zealand a shooter was scared away by someone who threw a credit card reader at him.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the casualties are at a minimum. Hopefully the injured recover soon.

Proud of the folks who subdued this gunman.

Norway mosque shooter allegedly posted to 8chan before attack
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Norway mosque shooter allegedly posted to 8chan before attack

One week after a gunman killed 22 people in El Paso, Texas, another allegedly planned to live-stream an attack on a mosque in Oslo, Norway, and posted his intentions to hate forum 8chan.

Worshippers told Budstikka (via the BBC), that the man entered the mosque with a "helmet and uniform," and was overpowered inside. One person is described as being injured, although it's not clear what the source of the injuries was. Local police have identified the man as a Norwegian man, and say that they "have information that he has been online." The Vergewas able to locate the suspected perpetrator's account on Facebook before it was removed from the platform.

According to screenshots of 8chan post, the shooter referenced the Christchurch, New Zealand shooter, and that he attempted to live-stream the attack on Facebook, but was unable to do so.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Title updated per OP's request.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
They have apparently found one dead at what might be the shooters place of residence.
The police is just saying that it is "connected".

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed. Thank god you cannot buy assault rifles here, though...

Well, when you are a hardened criminal and/or know people with connections to Cold War army supplies you can. It's just that most countries in Europe don't go "whelp, might as well let everyone have one if criminals can get their hands on it".

I'm glad that this asshole couldn't cause more harm. Massive respect for the people restraining him.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Could have been much worse. Any word on what type of gun he used?

Hopefully the injured person gets through this. Tomorrow is Eid so I hope nothing more happens.

Jun 26, 2018
Trump is a symptom of white supremacy, he isn't causing this.

I'd say he's more like a catalyst of racism. Or an accelerant. His islamophobic / racist rhetoric is pretty much being blasted out to all racists in the whole world, because every insane thing he says gets headlines in the media or shared on social media ad nauseum.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say he's more like a catalyst of racism. Or an accelerant. His islamophobic / racist rhetoric is pretty much being blasted out to all racists in the whole world, because every insane thing he says gets headlines in the media or shared on social media ad nauseum.
He is simply normalizing it. Showing people it is okay to demonstrate their true thoughts because hey, you can even still become president.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Done by a cowardly racist. These attacks doesn't even come as a surprise anymore with Trump as their "moral" leader. Let's hope nothing happens on Eid.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's scary to think how much worse this could have been.

Also shows that while America definitely needs stricter gun laws, also every western country needs to do more to track radicalisation of white men.

Dec 31, 2017
step back for a second and think about what you're posting, ya dingus

It could possibly be a personal dispute of some kind. Again it's most likely to be what we all think it is, but it's best not to jump the gun without any actual information on the case (unless I missed it).

Edit: saw the thread mark about 8chan. Was after my first post. That more or less confirms suspicions.

Last edited:

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This is an epidemic and needs to be stomped asap.

Self-radicalisation into terrorism is still a relatively new phenomenon and we're lacking solid criminological and psychological research to produce adequate warning intelligence. Right now, it's mostly based on a collection of known and statistically relevant trigger factors but it's not an exact science. Which also means that a lot of countermeasures / investigative tactics can't be employed because the laws governing those have high burdens of proof (rightly so.)

Research and intelligence have been improving steadily since the Utøya attack but things are escalating faster than security services can keep up.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Self-radicalisation into terrorism is still a relatively new phenomenon and we're lacking solid criminological and psychological research to produce adequate warning intelligence. Right now, it's mostly based on a collection of known and statistically relevant trigger factors but it's not an exact science. Which also means that a lot of countermeasures / investigative tactics can't be employed because the laws governing those have high burdens of proof (rightly so.)

Research and intelligence have been improving steadily since the Utøya attack but things are escalating faster than security services can keep up.

I have a few ideas to get us started.

Shut down nazis on social media and all the chan like sites. Deplatform them and cut the propaganda and recruitment network they created. Heavily fine any platform that doesn't comply. Shut them down if they persist. I don't give a shit whether it's 8chan or Facebook or Steam. If you provide a social platform you are mandated to moderate it. Stop coddling tech bro cunts. We need accountability for these corporations.

And punch more nazis.

Or putting it a simpler way. Take this shit seriously.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I have a few ideas to get us started.

Shut down nazis on social media and all the chan like sites. Deplatform them and cut the propaganda and recruitment network they created. Heavily fine any platform that doesn't comply. Shut them down if they persist. I don't give a shit whether it's 8chan or Facebook or Steam. If you provide a social platform you are mandated to moderate it. Stop coddling tech bro cunts. We need accountability for these corporations.

And punch more nazis.

Or putting it a simpler way. Take this shit seriously.

So basically legislation and direct action? That's outside the the law-enforcement/intelligence sphere I was describing but fair enough, go for it.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically legislation and direct action? That's outside the the law-enforcement/intelligence sphere I was describing but fair enough, go for it.

Sorry for sidetracking your reply. You're right up to a point. But i think a lot of it could be avoided if those investigating this looked and acted in the right places. Everyone here knows how and where this shit festers, why don't those whose job is to investigate it? In the US, for example, there is extreme resistance from the fascist adjacent institutions to do their jobs when it comes to white supremacy. Sites that promote white supremacy should just not be allowed to function, period.

I keep hearing about how these things are too new, and i just don't buy it tbh. The internet is not new. Message and image boards are not new. Nazi sites are not new. Online grooming and recruitment is not new. Nothing here is new except for how openly things are done nowadays.

As another aside, and example of how every priority is fucked up, here in the UK i cannot access a torrent site like Pirate Bay, whether i actually wanted to pirate something or not. It's blocked and i need to jump through hoops to access it if i want to (i don't). But if i want to mingle with some good ole nazis and plan terrorist attacks, every ISP says that's just fine and dandy.

Honestly, i have no hope. As long as we keep building our entire society around the concept of hoarding wealth, shit's gonna stay broken.