• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Chip_n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_Coverart-5.jpg

So after seeing that Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers movie thread, it got me nostalgic for the old game I used to have on NES as a kid. I also remember it fondly for its great co-op and being the first game I was ever able to complete on my own as a kid. I came across some dope gifs from Super Adventures in Gaming, and it definitely brought back the nostalgia.

Chip_n_Dale_NES_015.gif
Chip_n_Dale_NES_006.gif
Chip_n_Dale_NES_010.gif

lmao I remember also trying to dodge the ninja squirrels and falling off the ledge in the same way ...and that one robot mouse that jumped in the air and just disappears. I remember feeling like such a badass when I realised you could catch the ball as it fell down as well and roast that robot boss real quick. Also playing with friends frequently descended into fuckery as you could pick up and throw each other like the other props. Good memories, and while I have a lot of fond gaming memories in childhood this one was special.

So I figured I'd ask you all in ERA, what was the first game you ever beat?

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Something on my Grandpa's 286. Probably the Formula 1 game on it.

Edit: Grand Prix Circuit.

YB70XPc.jpg

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I had an Apple II PC and an Atari before I had an NES, but I honestly can't remember what I completed of those. Maybe the Atari version of Superman?

The earliest game I can recall beating is Castlevania 2 for the NES. I had the Nintendo Power magazines for help.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I don't know about any% completion, but I think my first 100% was Spyro 2. I knew about the permanent superflame, and I really wanted to unlock it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If it counts playing with my uncle, and Atari 2600 game dont count becuase most of them dont have real ending, SMB2. If not, SMW.
Illusion of Time was the first RPG i beat.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Donkey Kong Country, I came home from school on a Monday or Tuesday after being stuck on King K. Rool the night before, beat him and got credits roll before the rest of the family got home so I couldn't show off at all.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it wasn't my first but the one I really really remember is Chrono Trigger multiple times over. It feels like my first probably because it's the first game I really loved.

Would really love a good ps4 version right now. FF7R has me itching but I don't want to replay FF7 before hand because it will just make me nitpick the remake.

w0Z6tWw.png

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember beating the lion king on snes on my own. But before that me and my sister beat super mario world togeather

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Myst. My brother and I worked together to finish it.

I'm sure we'd beaten something else before, but that's the first one I remember finishing for a fact.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Hmm. I'm not sure. It's either paper Mario 64 or Pokémon emerald I think. Maybe A link to the past GBA? It was one of those. When I was younger I'd just get to the end of games but never finish them or get stuck.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A Link to the Past. I was five when it came out and I remember playing it a ton as a kid. My dad used to help me with the puzzles. It was the first game I ever beat and the last game my dad ever played.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Superman (2600) back in '79.

I think it was one of the first games you could actually beat on Atari. Everything leading up to that were arcade ports which were just endless modes (Asteroids, Defender, etc.).

Superman pre-dated the more popular Adventure by about a year and like the latter, it was also the first game I remember playing that had multi-screen traversal. Absolutely blew my gd mind coming off of arcade titles with static single-screen playing fields.

Damn I loved that game.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't remember the first game I ever beat.

I watched my older brother beat many popular SNES games growing up though.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Super Mario Bros.

When you only have one game with the system, you get good at it or you don't play the NES.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Super Mario Land 2 I believe.
The game is ultra easy but it took me years to see the credits. I would always delete my save files since the little bomb animation looked so funny. Most of the worlds were open from the get go so I didn't mind replaying them endlessly in a different order.
When I saw the credits I was like... Wait, games have endings? It really took me by surprise, lol.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
If fighting games count then either Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat. If not then Resident Evil.

Edit: Almost forgot about Streets of Rage.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, or Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I had older siblings so it's a little hard to distinguish what I had beaten for myself first and what I had just observed beaten.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I'm pretty sure it was Super Mario Land on Gameboy.

My older cousin finished it first then coached me on how to finish it myself. Pretty sure I was around 7-8 years old at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmh, I don't remember exactly..., maybe metal gear solid , or FF VII, or maybe Sonic and Knuckles, or maybe it was Doom or quake?
I feel old now that i can't remember :(

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Toy Story 2 on PS1. I sucked at games as a kid so I didn't really beat much of anything; at most, I got 'far' in games.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely alone? Donkey Kong Country 3

Before that I remember completing some games with the help of my mother like Mario World.