• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
formasymphonic
Oct 27, 2017
It was probably one of those Fun School games on the ZX Spectrum? Deep cut I know.
Barring that, most of the games on speccy were hard at my age, but Kirby's Adventure on the NES meant a lot to me because that was a game I could beat all by myself and it had save files as well. Probably one of the best games on the system, and certainly the best one I owned.
I can't lie, that first game you beat on your own is definitely a feeling that sticks with you.

Streets of Rage in coop with my mom.
Completely alone? Donkey Kong Country 3

Before that I remember completing some games with the help of my mother like Mario World.
WOITitle.png

It was the first game I finished and one of the only games I ever played with my mom. The Genesis 3 and all the games at Toys R Us were on a stiff clearance so one day my dad surprised us and came home with my first video game console and bags of games. Fun times.

— Also can I say that I'm loving the stories of those of you who payed co-op games with your mothers. The only game my mum would ever play was Tetris, but to be fair she became a badass at it.

220px-Chip_%27n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_NES_Cover.png

It was my second NES cart after the SMB/DH pack-in cart.

I have fond memories of my father arriving home with it on his way home from work one day. Don't know if there was a specific occasion attached to the gift or if it was "just because".
— one more for the club!

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Pong?

Single player...does looping the score in Space Invaders count? It does to me.

Barring that, maybe it was Super Mario Bros. I beat the arcade version before I got an NES. I was very proud of that.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

Congrats! This game is not only old, it's hard as fuck.

My first game was probably something on the Atari 2600, but lots of games back then had no ending, they just looped after N levels or went on forever. Maybe it was Crystal Castles, I think it had a fixed number of levels.

4221c489acb471015a8597aad39fd2ec.jpg

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Prior to owning an NES, games I owned were all arcade style, or arcade games in the arcade, so I never really 'beat' those. The first game I think I went through, saw an ending, like, finished the game, was the first mario bros on NES.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Probably Basil the Great Mouse detective. At least it's the first one I remember completing on my own.

basil_-_the_great_mouse_detective_02.gif

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Believe its Super Mario World on the SNES. My dad helped me though most of the way, I believe I was like 4-5

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
I think Pokemon Red was the first game I've ever finished. Other than that probably I've only beaten a few fighting game arcade modes.

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, that's a very good-assed question, one I never thought about before! Like the first game I remember playing was A Link to the Past, and the first game I remember seeing was Super Mario Bros. 3. This probably isn't the first game I beat, but the earliest I remember definitely beating was The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Particular memories include playing it on my old Game Boy during winter on the playground.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Then I remember at night crying to my parents that I wanted to return the game because there was stuff I could still collect in it. For some reason, I was upset at the idea of a game having replayability. I think I had this preconceived notion that once a game is finished, it should be finished for good.

Listen, I was 7 and also an idiot.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Also the first game I owned : Power Rangers the Movie on Game Boy.

Though after that I had a lot of games that I kecer saw the end of.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Way, way back most games just looped and didn't have endings, but I do remember beating and "going home" in E.T. on the 2600. That's probably the first one until I started playing Apple IIe games and 8-bit console titles that had endings, in which case I remember Karateka on the Apple being an early one, and stuff like Rush'n Attack (NES) and The Ninja (SMS) being among the first I can remember completing.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Completing like, doing everything the game had to offer? 100% the game? If so, I'd say Super Mario World.. doing all the 96 exists and wondering how I'd achieve 100 (I thought the number in the save file was a percentage :p);

before that I finished Sonic the Hedgehog on Master System multiple times (my first game ever, not counting Tetris in some bootleg handheld), but never with all the Chaos Emeralds.. that I'd do later when I was older.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
FIFA World Cup 98 if we include sport games in which 'completing' means beatint the last tournamente (WC in this case).

If not, it must have been GoldenEye 64 or something like that.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I think I completed 'Uridium' on ZX Spectrum. I say think as I've revisited it and I suck at it. I'm fairly sure it wraps around to start again when you 'finish' but could be wrong. If it does then I remember that happening and my Dad was there and a friend - but other than that I don't recall. Be something on ZX Spectrum or Commodore 16/64 or maybe Dos 6.0/Windows 3.1.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
There are a few that I wont really count. Mortal Kombat and Street fighter, it was about tenacity and cheesy moves. I also won't include Doom II, because I cheated and I gained nothing but appreciation and love for the game.

With out cheating and without help, it's probably Full Throttle. That's the one that sticks with me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros 2.

TXDaxTE.gif

Probably because of its at-the-time memorable credits sequence.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I had been playing games for a long time at that point, but I believe my first completion was Quake 3. It had a single player of sorts.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby's Dreamland, which was also the first video game I ever played.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
This was literally a huge thread on Twitter last week

I actually can't remember the first game I finished. It might have been legend of Zelda but I'm not positive about that

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Aside from Tetris on GB? :P

I beat SuperMarioLand before I beat the NES SMB games (heck, I beat SMB 2/USA before I finally got around to beat the first game).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man first game I beat? I was born the year the NEA came out so my earliest gaming memories are from the tail end of the NES' lifespan. I played many NES games but beat so few since most were either batshit difficult for 5 year old me (SMB1, Punch Out, Castlevania) or impossible to decipher and know what to do (Zelda 1 and 2).

The first game I beat I can't clearly remember but it must've been either The Little Mermaid (shut up, it was a good game if a little easy and short) or SMB3.

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Shining Force
shining-force.jpg

It taught me so many lessons I'd take going forward in SRPGs, mostly that stat gains are shit.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The first super mario brothers or zelda. I definitely remember taking a picture of the last screen in zelda with a Polaroid as a kid though