• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I initially bought Baten Kaitos back when it was released and I loved it. But I was very young and dumb and gave it to someone I liked as a gift and etc. etc.

And now for the first time in... 15? 16? Years, I'm replaying it.

I must point out that I'm not someone that gets heavily affected by nostalgia. There's numerous games that I remembered loving as a kid that I've re-played recently and quit early on because it was either not as good as I remembered it, or I thought it aged poorly.

The game has its flaws. The combat is a little on the slow side; animations for spell casters and enemies are a little too lengthy. Some big cutscenes suffer because all the presentation budget went towards the pre-rendered backgrounds and the opening movie. The voice acting is not only heavily compressed, but a ton of voices are either awful or suffer from a lack of proper direction. The plot pacing is a little off; the first half suffers from feeling a little cliche here and there, and the second half suffers from some padding (though most of the padding is technically optional, to be fair).

Despite this, though, it's easily one of the most unique and inspired games I've ever played, and one of the most beautiful. The world is enthralling. I care about all of the characters. Soundtrack is one of Sakuraba's absolute best.

giphy.gif

tumblr_owffx8J2Vy1tln6w5o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_owsmk30eHr1vhixwko4_540.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Can't wait until I play Baten Kaitos Origins. Never finished that one

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
How far did you get with BKO? Because that is a significantly better game.

Oct 29, 2017
The pacing is dog slow, but the payoff is absolutely worth it!

It's a great game, but you need the patience of a saint. Great battle system, great music and some really cool plot twists.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I don't think a lot of people could beat kratos

Oct 28, 2017
Baten Kaitos is one of the main reasons I'll always defend the Gamecube as an RPG beast. This, Paper Mario: TTYD, Tales of Symphonia, Lost Kingdoms 1 + 2, FE: Path of Radiance, Evolution Worlds, Skies of Arcadia.

Gamecube was so frickin' legit.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Baten Kaitos is really old. I doubt that the younger Era-ers have even heard of it.
It was a niche release on (arguably) a lower-profile console which did not receive a lot of RPGs. This helped the game reach 'cult' status for a few but that's about it.

The game itself? Sure, it was good, the combat was extraordinary, the visuals now outdated looked great and to have a spiritual successor would be awesome but if we don't it would be perfectly fine too.

Jan 4, 2018
I loved Baten Kaitos but I never got the chance to play Baten Kaitos Origins because it never got released in Europe. What a shame.

The soundtrack was very good.

Last edited:

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I started it about a month ago and already bounced off. It's painfully slow and the battle system is very annoying.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite game of all time and origins is an amazing game as well. I would give anything for a Baten Kaitos 3. The original also has my favorite battle system of all time too and such a shame that no other games, that I know of, have anywhere near the similar battle stsyem as these games do :(

The game holds up amazingly well and the pre-rendered backgrounds are still gorgeous and jaw dropping to me even today.

What I wouldn't give for a remaster <3

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I sold my copy alongside most of my Gamecube collection a few years ago, in a phase of madness - what a mistake that was, never again. This was indeed a great game from what I remember!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gibari is atheist Wakka.

Really awesome game but...I got really worn down around that one forest because the battles became a slog and just too tough for me. Never got around to BKO.

Secretly would love Kalas to be DLC in Smash Ultimate.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
The pacing is dog slow, but the payoff is absolutely worth it!

It's a great game, but you need the patience of a saint. Great battle system, great music and some really cool plot twists.
Honestly I don't think the pacing is that slow. The only part of the game I've disliked is Anuenue because both the Magic Library and the Celestial Tree were annoying.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I started it about a month ago and already bounced off. It's painfully slow and the battle system is very annoying.

It does start off somewhat slow, but I've played far slower RPG's so I didn't mind it too much. I'll be honest, the first few hours I was worried it would be one of the games I liked as a kid but not as an adult. It clicked around halfway through Anuenue. By the end of the game you're choosing up to 9 cards per turn!

I personally love the battle system, because there's quite a bit you have to pay attention to. The only annoyance I have is the game not having separate decks for the party members so there's a lot of scrolling when you're trying to customize decks.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Great game and Origins is even greater.
I still hope someday it gets a remake or a proper sequel.
It's a shame we didn't get origins in Europe and we had to resort to other means to play it...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I keep trying to get into Origins every now and then but I just can't. I get like 4 or 5 hours in and just drop it. I don't hate the gameplay and the story seems interesting so I don't really know what's up. Maybe I'll do something weird like watch a Youtube let's play of it or something one of these days.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Top notch art direction, fantastic music compositions and a fairly unique battle (combo) system. I can probably name twenty tracks that would make it qualify for the upper echelons of JRPG soundtracks. Characters are pretty boring or annoying, missables are dumb and the voice acting is absolutely awful compared to the VA in the trailer. Still would replay it since it's actually really fun to collect and build your decks to fight with.

They should rerelease Origins because us Euro peasants never got to play it.

It's just a shame Monolith Soft went from Baten Kaitos to the excessive pandering in Xenoblade 2.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I have a love-hate-relationship with this game. I like the setting and early deck-pooling combat mechanics, but some of the difficulty spikes are a bit too much. I don't think I beat the boss that comes after that last screenshot that you showed (or the boss after that).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Got the original since I liked the background art and was interested in the experimental game mechanics. What I got was an extremely slow and boring RPG. Honestly think the game sucks, sorry.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yo OP I just started this game. Never picked it up when it was originally out because the card mechanic scared my 14 year old self. So far really digging it.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Origins, not as much as EWatLO but if I had to find anything disappointing with it, or a downgrade compared to the first would be the battle system. While faster I found the complete simplicity of it to drastically reduce the options available. I loved being able to increase damage by choosing numbers on the weapons into pairs, runs and the same to reduce damage with armor. Added another fun layer to the combat system. Also everyone having their own separate deck unlike all 3 characters sharing the same deck in Origins. Burst mode in origins was fun at least.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Voice acting and the slow paced and mindless combat made me drop the first one after about 1/3 of the game.

And the story wasn't anything special.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
You have a good taste OP.

Origins is a better game, but I, personally, prefer the first one.

As someone that didn't adapt to Xenoblade's battle style, I wish Monolith would try a new BK, but this is just a dream.

Edit: one issue with the game is that the battle system gets a lot better once your characters have class 4~5. This can make people drop the game early.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The game is an extremely acquired taste. I really wanted to love it. The battle system takes a lot of getting used to and there some boss fights that really ramp up. That's where I remember dumping it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna be the guy that asks for remasters of everything, but goddammmit I need BK HD Collection on modern consoles. It's such a unique series with gorgeous backgrounds.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baten Kaitos is one of the main reasons I'll always defend the Gamecube as an RPG beast. This, Paper Mario: TTYD, Tales of Symphonia, Lost Kingdoms 1 + 2, FE: Path of Radiance, Evolution Worlds, Skies of Arcadia.

Gamecube was so frickin' legit.
Evolution Worlds is a butchered version of Evolution 1 and 2 though. No reason to play it if you can play the Dreamcast versions.

Otherwise yes those games are all great, especially Path of Radiance.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it at launch. Was amazing at the time. It's a B level production story wise but the gameplay and visuals are fucking top notch.

What a system for RPGs: Baten Kaitos, Origins, Paper Mario 2, Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star Online 1+2+3, Lost kingdoms, Final Fantasy Chronicles, Skies of Arcadia, Evolution Worlds, Fire Emblem, Pokémon XD, etc.

Xenomiggs

Nov 8, 2017
Miami, FL
The games that jump started my love affair with Monolith Soft... I really, really hope we see them again in any form. Remake, remaster, sequel. Gimme anything!

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I loved this game back in the day. The environments and story were unique. And the plot twist were pretty fun.

Some of the boss battles had ridiculous difficulty spikes. The fight on the airship vs the three Empire guys and the undead boss thing not long after a certain party member returns in particular I struggled with. Origins never released in Europe :(

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Double Giacomo fight?

I feel like you have shared my pain. No auto saves in-between. Noped the heck out of there.

*Edit - or was it the airship battle? I remember finishing two boss fights back to back and then getting hit with a third? 'Twas a long time ago now...

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I continually kick myself for not buying Japanese copies on the cheap while I lived there. The English voice acting was so legendarily bad I wasn't able to progress into it, but it's forever on my list as a series I want to get into because I truly did love what I played.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Glad you like it OP !! Baten Kaitos is great, and it becomes even better when you have played Origins (the prequel done right) I feel like Origins is much more modern than EW and i like it better, but to me, they're 2 parts of a big game. A proper diptych, and my favourite RPG experience ever. BK3 is not gonna happen but come on man, give me my HD Collection.

Also I don't know why but Yasuyuki Honne follows me on Instagram and he frequently likes my photos and stuff, it takes a lot of self control to not send him DMs about BK. I someone here speaks japanese we could try something though

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I think this was one of the first games in my life that I preordered. I was 12, maybe 13, and it was the first time I ever got to experience true disappointment with a video game in my life.

I loved Tales of Symphonia, and the community for that game hyped this up to extreme levels before it came to America. I bought into the hype HARD and it just didn't live up.