• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Interesting article came out from a gamedev related Telegram channel. Poster says he anonymously talked with some of the Atomic Heart devs to find out what's been happening with all these rumors (rumors that almost got no attention outside local websites).

Key notes (but there are a lot more going on):
  • Last gameplay is real but it's heavily directed and very linear. First trailer is mostly fake with gameplay bits rendered on engine.
  • Seems like the game may have an episodic release (1 episode is approximately 5 hours) but it doesn't mentioned anywhere else.
  • CEO doesn't have any knowledge about the game development.
  • Everything that people like about the game (art, design, concept) is made by one person - Artyom Galeev, who has been nurturing the concept of the game for many years.
  • No actual game design. Devs don't know what they want to make. Someone liked finishers from DOOM and they implented something similar. Ideas shift from Doom-Prey to even Dark Souls.
  • Major layoffs and there are not many experienced developers with C++ and UE4 in Russia, a lot of the work is outsourced.
  • Development was rebooted 5 months ago and now it looks even worse than it did before, huge gameplay downgrade.
  • The whole deal with Soviet Luna Park VR sounds like a cashgrab with peopple who bought it left behind.
  • Pre-orders are already open and it seems like it's the only thing about this game that really does work.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
So it's We Happy Few basically. Early trailer comes out, looks amazing. Game is a complete mess behind the scenes with the devs having no clue what they're doing and not even a set direction for what they want to do.

That's disappointing as hell.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's We Happy Few basically. Early trailer comes out, looks amazing. Game is a complete mess behind the scenes with the devs having no clue what they're doing and not even a set direction for what they want to do.

That sounds nothing like We Happy Few.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
that 50% discounted preorder the devs were doing (only via their own site IIRC) seemed... slightly sketchy

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting article came out from a gamedev related Telegram channel. Poster says he anonymously talked with some of the Atomic Heart devs to find out what's been happening with all these rumors (rumors that almost got no attention outside local websites).

Key notes (but there are a lot more going on):
  • Last gameplay is real but it's heavily directed and very linear. First trailer is mostly fake with gameplay bits rendered on engine.
  • Seems like the game may have an episodic release (1 episode is approximately 5 hours) but it doesn't mentioned anywhere else.
  • CEO's doesn't have any knowledge about the game development.
  • Everything that people like about the game (art, design, concept) is made by one person - Artyom Galeev, who has been nurturing the concept of the game for many years.
  • No actual game design. Devs don't know what they want to make. Someone liked finishers from DOOM and they implented something similar. Ideas shift from Doom-Prey to even Dark Souls.
  • Major layoffs and there are not many experienced developers with C++ and UE4 in Russia, a lot of the work is outsourced.
  • Development was rebooted 5 months ago and now it looks even worse than it did before, huge gameplay downgrade.
  • The whole deal with Soviet Luna Park VR sounds like a cashgrab with peopple who bought it left behind.
  • Pre-orders are already open and it seems like it's the only thing about this game that really does work.
that sounds like a hot mess.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
  • CEO's doesn't have any knowledge about the game development.
2110580733_5bd8c8a498_z.jpg

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
That doesn't sound good at all if true. Would be a shame because it looked like it had potential.
Some might say that game development is hard!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Every game is a burning trash heap until ship. It's not fair to comment on a game that's so far out, many games go through these exact issues and come out fine.

Not to say that this won't end up being too good to be true (it's always had a bit of that scent on it), but there's nothing worth getting distracted over here. Every game is a shit show until the last few months. All of them.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Shame to hear, about what I expected but it's sad to hear that things are only getting worse.

Everything that people like about the game (art, design, concept) is made by one person - Artyom Galeev, who has been nurturing the concept of the game for many years.

Yep. I'm hoping this guy has a bright future with competent developers or visual director of motion pictures because I'll be shouting it forever but he is destined to be one of the 21st century greatest artists.

But they are offering the entire game Atomic Heart for all Luna Park VR owners... let's see if they follow through!

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Unknown developer comes with a game that looks to good to be true. Turns out to be too good to be true.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
This was one of those games that showed up on a Facebook video that looked way too good to be true. I had hoped it would make the cut as that art design really is killer. I suppose I was right to keep it at arms length.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, while it's healthy to remain somewhat skepticle, I don't think this game's fate is sealed yet. I'll wait for it to come out. If it's bad, I guess it's bad.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear.

Would love to see more fresh takes on games (even if it's just artstyle).

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

We Happy Few had a super clear direction literally years ahead of release. They added story stuff after people wanted that but a friend and I literally played it two years before launch and the gameplay concepts are the same as the launch ones (only less refined at the time).

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I hope it works out. I want games from all around the world not just America, Japan and Western Europe

LutraLibre

Nov 1, 2017

An actual game developer needs to poach this guy. Without his art direction no one would have even paid any attention to this game.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Now it makes sense. No wonder I was asking myself so many questions about how stuff works and what you actually do in the game.

LOL

The dev(s) don't even know.

Oct 25, 2017
I've absolutely no faith in the game since the initial trailer. It's like they're hiding what the game actually is, or going by what the rumours are saying, the devs don't know either.

The game seems a disaster.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Why did I see this coming? Oh that's right, whenever I'm super excited for something by a completely unknown dev that just looks super ambitious, 8/10 it turns out it's having issues behind the scene 😔

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well it was obvious from the start it's really, really directed and just made to show off cool world. I didn't believe I see any real gameplay...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Reminds me of Brink.

I went to a game conference where they were showing off a so called new trailer on a big screen, turned out it was the same CGI trailer they put online weeks prior, I was super bummed but I still got the game and got even more bummed out.

I could never find games with enough people and was left with and against bots and it was the most horrible AI and gameplay, what a dissapointment.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Someone should just snag the art / design developer. Sounds like a waste of talent at this point.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This makes me sad. :(
If they can't develop this game, I hope some great developer hires the artist for a project like this.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If all of that is true it sounds like an awful situation and I don't see a decent game coming out of it. I mean, no planned out game design where they're just winging it sounds like a recipe for disaster. It seems like it has no direction outside of the way it looks.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It's easy to say this in hindsight but the last trailer made me doubt about the game's quality.
It looked like a tech demo and nothing else,gameplay was just running around shooting things with no direction about what to do,no gameplay mechanics that tell you about what they are aiming with the game.
Is it shooter like doom? Somekind of survival game Like bioshock/prey? Etc.
The art style is the only solid aspect behind the game so far.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
huh, i was under the impression this was ready to go more or less. like summer-ish.

but in hindsight, yeah, definitely could see it as one of "those" situations... bummer

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. Some big studio needs to get this Artyom guy as an art lead. His design is sublime from top to bottom so far. Much more interesting than most of the stuff you see out there in games. He needs to be a presence in a competent studio that would get something worthwhile out to people. I pray for this project, but doesn't sound good.

Dec 6, 2017
US
  • CEO doesn't have any knowledge about the game development.

giphy.webp

Get this Artyom Galeev fella a real job, damn...

Status
Not open for further replies.