• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Man, I don't even listen to nintendo music, but brawl was my source for sonic, mega man, and ace attorney extended soundtracks. This sucks.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Unless they are going to put their music on Spotify like Square has done recently, this is another shitty move by Nintendo. There are tons of music tracks you cannot get anywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem and why I don't buy more game soundtracks is because they never have ALL the music. If they had all the music I'd shovel money into their bank account. But as of right now everyone always gives like 12 tracks and that's it. Especially with the Ablaze and normal versions of music in games like Fire Emblem it's like "If you won't give me the full thing don't punish me for seeking it out"

Kind of unrelated but your post reminded me of something. Soulcalibur V on PS3 pissed me the fuck off because of this. There was a version of that game that came with a soundtrack CD. There was only a few songs on that CD. Half of them were just randomly chosen SCV songs but the other half, the more important half, were some of the best songs from the series history. For whatever stupid reason they decided that the in-game music DLC couldn't use THOSE songs. So you couldn't hear any of them in-game.

I remember waiting months for the DLC to come every time the PSN store updated. But "In Father's Name" and "Innocent Vision" never came. Still a little heartbroken over this. Also I remember the nice little CD that came with Persona 4 Arena. It had a whole FIVE songs on it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course, after allowing everyone to stream their games freely they had to go and make their two steps back, lol. Never change nintendo.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too concerned about this from the perspective of a fan.

It's a game of whack-a-mole. Nintendo can waste their time playing this game if they want, but more are just going to pop up. If not YouTube, then elsewhere.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Maybe if they sold soundtracks for a reasonable price or had them on Spotify or some shit people wouldn't upload them all the time.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm not too concerned about this from the perspective of a fan.

It's a game of whack-a-mole. Nintendo can waste their time playing this game if they want, but more are just going to pop up. If not YouTube, then elsewhere.

I honestly find this a lousy argument since you can make the same argument about other things like robbery. Heck, this BS argument is why we can't get our gun laws changed in the US.

And before someone say it, no I'm not comparing music being delated with real world crime. I'm talking about the line of thinking of 'you shouldn't do something since people will just do it elsewhere'.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem and why I don't buy more game soundtracks is because they never have ALL the music. If they had all the music I'd shovel money into their bank account. But as of right now everyone always gives like 12 tracks and that's it. Especially with the Ablaze and normal versions of music in games like Fire Emblem it's like "If you won't give me the full thing don't punish me for seeking it out"

I get the critic for the OST of game like DKCTF which never released, but the OSTs for the recent Fire Emblem games have been nothing short of amazing.... Fates was an 8 CD OST that included all the songs in the game!
Also Why did they put an 8 track sound selection for Odyssey on iTunes and then just... stop?
Probably the label behing the full soundtrack didn't want an international release. Odyssey's full OST is available for sale in Japan.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I get the critic for the OST of game like DKCTF which never released, but the OSTs for the recent Fire Emblem games have been nothing short of amazing.... Fates was an 8 CD OST that included all the songs in the game!

Probably the label behing the full soundtrack didn't want an international release. Odyssey's full OST is available for sale in Japan.

That's the same with a lot of Nintendo's CDs. My brother bought the full soundtrack for Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 from a Japanese site. Heck, he got the full sound track for both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker through them years ago. What sucks is that Nintendo won't give themselves OSTs global releases.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Just because something is on Youtube, doesn't technically make it legal.

If you're ok with listening to copyrighted music on Youtube that isn't getting monetized by the copyright owners, why not just acquire it through other means?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I mean just in general, why is that the only music they've put out?

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because something is on Youtube, doesn't technically make it legal.

If you're ok with listening to copyrighted music on Youtube that isn't getting monetized by the copyright owners, why not just acquire it through other means?
Yup. It's like pirating, unless if it's uploaded officially by the publisher just like many music videos on Youtube.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Such a bullshit. Nobody gives a shit about CDs anymore outside collectors.

Just put all music on Spotify like Bamco and Square.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't care too much if Nintendo actually released their soundtracks outside of Japan, but they don't. They could release them on digital platforms, tag uploads on YouTube like how other music is handled, and proceed from there. Yet, they don't.

In the meantime, this sucks. I get that they have their reasons, but the outcome is unpleasant. Please change your decision, Nintendo.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Any company being against music from their game ripped to youtube is stupid. I've seen plenty of people make purchases of games because they liked the soundtracks they heard on Youtube, it's literally free advertising. No one is gonna buy your dumb soundtrack CD with half the songs missing just cause you get rid of the youtube route, they just...won't listen to your music.

This sucks but we should be honest here: this impacts like 1% of their customers.

Some of these videos get millions of views, I don't think the number of people who look up VGM on youtube is as tiny as you think.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
why did they nuke the gilvasunner stuff? Morons

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
They could release them on digital platforms, tag uploads on YouTube like how other music is handled, and proceed from there. Yet, they don't.

In the meantime, this sucks. I get that they have their reasons, but the outcome is unpleasant. Please change your decision, Nintendo.

Yup, tag the music, enable monetization, profit. Fans get what they want, the music stays there, their IP is generating them revenue AND community goodwill.

Some of these videos get millions of views, I don't think the number of people who look up VGM on youtube is as tiny as you think.

And even if it is just 1%, it's the most entrenched fans, exactly the people you should be pleasing.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Brawl's whole channel?

All my Ace Attorney, Sonic, Final Fantasy extensions that I've been listening to for years; gone, just like that?

That fucking suuuuucks

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, tag the music, enable monetization, profit. Fans get what they want, the music stays there, their IP is generating them revenue AND community goodwill.

I've wanted this change for years. Nintendo is more willing to distribute its music in Japan, so I'd at least like to see that same level of willingness outside of that country. I don't know who to talk to about this or who is causing the situation to be what it is. I'd love for some interviewer to ask about this in an interview with Bill Trinen, Doug Bowser, or even NCL people. Why isn't this the kind of question getting asked by investors? :(

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Of course Fates gets the good OST -____-|

I've been buying the collectors editions of the last few FE titles and all my OSTs are barely passable. And then the other stuff is ridiculously overpriced in Japan from my experience. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
Kind of unrelated but your post reminded me of something. Soulcalibur V on PS3 pissed me the fuck off because of this. There was a version of that game that came with a soundtrack CD. There was only a few songs on that CD. Half of them were just randomly chosen SCV songs but the other half, the more important half, were some of the best songs from the series history. For whatever stupid reason they decided that the in-game music DLC couldn't use THOSE songs. So you couldn't hear any of them in-game.

I remember waiting months for the DLC to come every time the PSN store updated. But "In Father's Name" and "Innocent Vision" never came. Still a little heartbroken over this. Also I remember the nice little CD that came with Persona 4 Arena. It had a whole FIVE songs on it.
Nothing is worse than buying an OST and then it not even having the song you bought it for.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Such a bullshit. Nobody gives a shit about CDs anymore outside collectors.

Just put all music on Spotify like Bamco and Square.

I care and I'm not a collector. I don't like subscribing a site and paying a monthly fee to listen to music. I buy the CD, rip the songs to my iTunes and I have it forever. And if something happens, I have the CDs as a hard copy.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I would be fine with this if they put their songs up for sale but they don't.
Buy the extremely expensive FE special edition and get a quarter of the OST. Nah
Put your music up on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc. and this is fine

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Fates gets the good OST -____-|

I've been buying the collectors editions of the last few FE titles and all my OSTs are barely passable. And then the other stuff is ridiculously overpriced in Japan from my experience. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Nothing is worse than buying an OST and then it not even having the song you bought it for.
Awakening had a complete OST too (I think at least) but yeah, they are both Japan exclusive.

More than streaming, I'd prefer if they sold their music digitally. I'm not a fan of the streaming model, and I like my music in high Res - it was a pain, but I got the OST for XC2 in the Hi-Res format and it's godly.
They could charge lower for the MP3 releases, since most people really don't care about that.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo has a lot of byzantine anti-consumer practices.

Buuuuuuuut this wasn't one of them. Nintendo doesn't HAVE to make any of this shit available and that doesn't excuse flagrant IP abuse. Sucks, but that's capitalism for ya.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo's well in its rights. Doesn't make me any less disappointed, though, as I wish it would put its music on iTunes or something.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Ever since my first CD pack-in during the PS2 days (is that where pack-in soundtracks started?) I've been gravely disappointed by them. Hell that's what led me to start ripping tracks on my own.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Awakening had a complete OST too (I think at least) but yeah, they are both Japan exclusive.

More than streaming, I'd prefer if they sold their music digitally. I'm not a fan of the streaming model, and I like my music in high Res - it was a pain, but I got the OST for XC2 in the Hi-Res format and it's godly.
They could charge lower for the MP3 releases, since most people really don't care about that.
I'm so jealous :( The XC2 OST is just...so great.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
OK Nintendo since your doing that provide me an alternative music streaming option and not bare bones release on iTunes.
Sakurai suggestions to use the Switch as a portable player is inefficient it tore my pants.

Regards an Online fan

PS : Dear Resetera please engrave the following post on stone tablets and send it to Nintendo.