• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't understand why companies don't just put every single damn video game soundtrack on Spotify and Apple Music. Can't it only benefit them?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed BrawlBRSTMs3 got into heat/was taken down because it contained download links to the music. Not mp3s or anything mind you (they were files meant to be modded into Smash), but still downloads nonetheless.

Still sucks, a lot of tracks gone, though personally I never cared much for the extensions as I did the music. As for GilvaSunner, at least I can still access that channel.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
That sucks. I wish Nintendo would work to make their soundtracks more available (i.e. through official releases) rather than taking down rips from YouTube.

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since my first CD pack-in during the PS2 days (is that where pack-in soundtracks started?) I've been gravely disappointed by them. Hell that's what led me to start ripping tracks on my own.
I will give Atlus props for KOF XIII though. I'm not 100% sure if they put every song that was actually in the game on the pack-in OST.

Also does this mean that it's going to be extremely hard to find Nintendo music on youtube from now on? It was pretty easy to find some songs on soundcloud but I'm sure they'll find a way to get those taken down as well.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I get doing this for new games even if it's misguided since they must think the free publicity is worth less than pushing some people to buy the OST. But old games? I noticed some Super Mario World tracks got taken down. I'd love to own the CD but the only way to buy it would be second hand and there is no way for Nintendo to profit here. What's the point? I imagine it has to be some weird copyright thing - I find it hard to believe there is someone at HQ who's day job is to be concerned about SMW tracks on YouTube

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild how Nintendo's official stance on their OSTs seems to be "buy the game if you want to listen to the music"

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I have a YouTube playlist of music that I keep and maintain for whatever music sounds interesting to me.

I just updated it today to add music from the first Dynasty Warriors (thanks Giant Bomb) and noticed many videos were deleted, and I pretty quickly realized it was the BrawlBRSTMs3 x account.

I really need to get around to downloading all the music from the playlist before something obscure goes away into oblivion. (It's been easy to do with the program youtube-dl so yeah.)

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised they only did this now. I've heard a lot of youtubers complain how Nintendo handles copyright claims in the past.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't care if they would at least put this shit on Apple Music / Spotify. Seriously, either give us a legal way to stream the music or stop going after these reuploaders.

Yeah I wouldnt mind but now I have to buy the soundtrack rip it and put it everywhere i want to immediately listen to

It's almost as if negotiating music rights is hilariously complex. You'd think the state of Final Fantasy tracks in Smash would clue people in on that, but...

Square Enix at least puts their stuff on streaming services unlike Nintendo, see all the Final Fantasy OSTs

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess we'll have to listen to it by "other" means. Good job nintendo.

Regardless of how you feel about this issue this ban is complete bullshit. YouTube uploads are piracy.

You can't ban someone for slyly advocating for downloads soundtrack RIPs when you're complaining about not being able to listen to an upload of those same files.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Just because something is on Youtube, doesn't technically make it legal.

If you're ok with listening to copyrighted music on Youtube that isn't getting monetized by the copyright owners, why not just acquire it through other means?
yeah which kinda makes it a little weird to catch a ban for saying you'll acquire the music elsewhere... the videos were pulled because they were unauthorized uploads of copyrighted material. not sure why it would matter morally if you listen to it on a stream or download it from a torrent or w/e.

the "preservation" argument is kind of obvious bullshit when these tracks are often ripped from games which are still readily available, or in some cases, new releases. the issue is not "preservation", ensuring the songs are not lost to time, but rather convenience/availability so you don't have to go through the hassle of loading up a video game at a specific point simply to listen to a selected track.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's sad because i really want to jam with those who slither in the dark. Spoilers i guess.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh so that explains it.

I found it really strange the other day when I searched for a FE 3H track and only found covers or something like that.

This is a bummer since I had a YouTube playlist that I used during DnD sessions, and it had quite a few FE and Zelda tracks on it.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I was going to say that at this point, GilvaSunner only had his Smash Brawl uploads got claimed. (The rest of his uploads is still accessable) But I guess this likely mean the channel days are numbered.

And regarding to soundtrack's accessibility. Yeah, it's kinda suck that for the most part, Nintendo music is only avaliable on CD with some exceptions. But there's nothing we can do except give them feedback one way or another.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, half of my game music playlist is gone now. The fuck?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
there's no way to save your channel if you're just uploading rips of someone else's music
sucks though, if nintendo chooses not to sell the soundtrack i guess the only way for you to listen to it outside of the game is to rip the music yourself

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Wow. I am so pissed off right now. Looks like this is the end then. BrawlBRSTMs3 was one of my go to channels for VG music and not JUST for Nintendo content. I knew they were already having issues with Nintendo about this, but I didn't expect they would fucking nuke the entire channel. Thanks Nintendo. Fuck you too. At least I got to listen to the Banjo Kazooie OSTs one last time yesterday before this happened.

At least we still have Gilvasunner, but who knows how long he'll last in this kind of environment. Nintendo needs to screw off as far as I'm concerned. I really don't get what's so wrong with being able to listen to their music on YouTube. No other game company cares about this crap other than Nintendo, it seems. Oh well.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube is not piracy... it has basically any song ever made, many uploaded by the own artist page.
That's fine because they're uploaded by the official publishers. This is different.

How would you recommend I buy this soundtrack legit?
Would you say the same about downloading roms of games that aren't available for purchase anymore?

You simply don't listen to the music and/or play the games.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of piracy encouragement, even admittance, ITT. What the hell.

It's funny how people seem to handwave it away when it comes to music, but not the games themselves. Just something I noticed here over several threads of this variety.

Look at the current amazon prices, clearly it was a limited thing.

Which soundtrack? Yahoo Auctions is honestly your best bet for some of this stuff.

The Fire Emblem Three Thrones OST is on pre-order I think.