• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Not every game even sells soundtrack CDs, people, lmao. I'm not sure why that's an argument anyone is using to defend Nintendo.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Ah yes, an incomplete CD only released in limited quantities in Japan is definitely a great substitute for putting them on streaming services everywhere.

The lengths some of you go to defend Nintendo is just ludicrous.

Better than having nothing to listen to. And I'm not defending Nintendo
Do I deserve inefficient capitalism?
Next time, state your philosophical and moral viewpoint before accepting legality as the "be all, end all".
Remember, new laws actually get created.

That is a cool story, one that is unlikely to be possible even for the people posting in this thread.

Well if they can't or won't buy the CDs or are unable to legally stream I guess they're shit out of luck. I'm sure the other ways are frowned upon just like videogame piracy is.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
so you are saying that youtube/youtube channels need to pay royalties to the artist/copyright owners?
because radios works like that.

And you know what a lot of music owners do? They license their music to be played on Youtube instead of taking it all down. Funny how that works.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
I wouldn't care if they would at least put this shit on Apple Music / Spotify. Seriously, either give us a legal way to stream the music or stop going after these reuploaders.
It amazes me, even given Nintendo's reputation, that they haven't followed Square/Enix's direction and done this. As of right now, Nintendo makes basically $0 in the United State on their soundtracks. If they uploaded them to the streaming services they would start pulling in some serious cash. Obviously it would require some effort, writing metadata and making sure the rips/masters are good, but the opportunity is right there.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
They should put it on spotify. Love it when a random bloodborne song comes on while i'm walking home, gets me pumped.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite thing about those music video, was to read other people reactions about what the music is associated to, that is really hard to get on forums because it's very specific.
Now I just wish they'd put those on streaming platforms even if I'll miss that.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
There's actually a new Japanese law revised in 2016 about an Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement in October 2015 where it said the following:

An outline agreement was reached for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) in October 2015, and a signing ceremony was held for the agreement in Febru-ary 2016. The TPP requires ① Extension of the term of protection for copy-righted works, etc., ② Certain crimes of copyright infringement to be made prosecutable without the need for a formal complaint, ③ improvement of a system of effective technological measures for managing use of copyrighted works, etc. (access control), ④ grant of remuneration right to secondary use fees of online music distribution, and ⑤ improvement of a system for pre-established damages.

The Creators continue their creative activities based on the return they are paid for the use of their copyrighted works. The compensation system for private sound and visual recording has turned into an empty shell by rising new devices and services. Therefore, appropriate return to the cre-ators becomes an issue and the subcommittee has discussed how to solve this issue.④ Response to international Issues concerning copyrights

The subcommittee has discussed responses to cross border Internet piracy and international rules concerning copyrights.(3) The establishment of penalties for illegal downloads
Following the amendment of Copyright Law in 2009, with the revision of the Copyright Act in 2012, a criminal penalty is imposed in cases of know-ingly downloading illegally distributed digital sound or visual recordings, when these recordings are sold or distributed for a fee, even if the purpose is private use. (However, no claim will be filed unless there is a complaint from the right owner.)

As more people use digitized information and access digital networks, they are able to copy a variety of works on the Internet more easily. At the same time, digitized works are being distributed more actively across national bor-ders. JCO is promoting the construction of antipiracy measures and an inter-national rule to cope with these new circumstances.

While interest has been growing in recent years in works created in Japan, including musical products and game software, illegal copies of such Japanese works are being produced and distributed on a large scale outside Japan, espe-cially in other Asian regions, causing serious problems for Japanese right holders.To prevent the production and the distribution of pirated copies, it is essen-tial to provide an environment that allows Japanese copyright owners to take prompt actions in the regions where copyright infringements occur.

In other words, the distribution of video game soundtracks on YouTube without permission from respective copyright owners is considered illegal copies of Japanese works, and thus prompt actions must be taken (YouTube channel takedowns).

Nintendo copyright claiming the soundtracks and taking prompt actions here is warranted and justified, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
There's actually a new Japanese law revised in 2016 about an Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement in October 2015 where it said the following:

In other words, the distribution of video game soundtracks on YouTube without permission from respective copyright owners is considered illegal copies of Japanese works, and thus prompt actions must be taken (YouTube channel takedowns).

Nintendo copyright claiming the soundtracks and taking prompt actions here is warranted and justified, and there's nothing we can do about it.
This should be a new thread tbh.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
i wish Nintendo would put their OSTs on streaming or sell them. there's a lot of OSTs you can't even listen to legally anywhere outside the games.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If Nintendo is required to be so aggressive about YT music upload copyright strikes by law then why don't we see other Japanese publishers do the same thing? (And maybe people wouldn't have to find Nintendo music on YouTube if only Nintendo made more of an effort to make it officially available...)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If Nintendo is required to be so aggressive about copyright strikes by law then why don't we see other Japanese publishers do the same thing?

It's still up in the hands of the copyright owner, if they wanted to file a complaint or not. This is why sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Shueisha Inc.has been filing complaints in the manga community for a long while, takedowns and C&Ds were given to most prominent scanlation groups.

(However, no claim will be filed unless there is a complaint from the right owner.)

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
If Nintendo is required to be so aggressive about YT music upload copyright strikes by law then why don't we see other Japanese publishers do the same thing? (And maybe people wouldn't have to find Nintendo music on YouTube if only Nintendo made more of an effort to make it officially available...)

S-E went on a takedown spree a few months ago if I recall correctly

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
the thing that frustrates me the most about all of this bullshit is that I would gladly listen to the soundtracks on a service that would earn nintendo revenue

if they would fucking add it to them

I haven't owned a CD player outside of the one in my car for literally decades, and my PC doesn't have a CD drive.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
On one hand: It's their asset so they can do what they want with it.
On the other hand: This is disappointing.

With that said: Nintendo are very protective of their properties so I'm surprised it took them this long to issue the strikes.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that when this thread was made the big issue was the removal of Three Houses music.

Just a quick search on YouTube now and there's plenty of results.

Square Enix was infamously aggressive about hunting down music download sites in the pre YouTube days, wouldn't be surprised if they were still at it. Then you have the record companies like Nippon Columbia that will hunt down music if the publishers aren't. iDOLM@STER music is often taken down by them or Bamco.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Love all the morality == legality takes in here, because literally no one that's saying this is shitty is saying it's illegal of Nintendo to do

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Fuck nintendo, they don't even release official OSTs for 99% of games

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Nintendo for this man. If you're going to go on a purge across YT (which is fair), at least put your music on streaming services so people can listen to them whenever they want. Why are they still so stubborn about this

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Love all the morality == legality takes in here, because literally no one that's saying this is shitty is saying it's illegal of Nintendo to do

Unpack this more: what benefit does Nintendo derive from allowing people on YouTube (or wherever) to upload their music? Could the same be extended to film soundtracks or TV scores or whatever other medium you want to apply it to?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wish they'd at least would sell the CDs in the west... I get that they may dislike streaming since companies like Spotify pay peanuts, but at least put the music in sites where the rest of the world can buy them.

Importing is a hassle.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with music being removed from YT, but they really need to provide a legal way for people to listen to their music if they're going to copyright claim it.

Oct 12, 2020
It is in there rights ... But it would be amazing to release CDs or distribute it in another way.
According to the other thread, if Nintendo let's people listen to their music, they would... *double checks notes* no longer be allowed to ever make music ever again.
Since you "double check", can you give us a source for your claim?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Unpack this more: what benefit does Nintendo derive from allowing people on YouTube (or wherever) to upload their music? Could the same be extended to film soundtracks or TV scores or whatever other medium you want to apply it to?

Content ID it; run ads and make easy money?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So basically you need permission to upload music.

Well... then get that permission fams.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
They are able to monetize these uploaders' videos through Content ID, so that's one benefit.

I'm also perfectly comfortable criticizing a multinational corporation (who has made many games I absolutely love) for doing things purely for their own bottom line. Like, many of these OSTs are not even available to purchase as CDs in the west. If they had an official upload channel or put their music on Spotify/another streaming service, I would have much less of a problem with this. As it stands, for many people who love their games and the music of those games, YouTube is the best way to listen to them.

At no point did I say I don't think they should be allowed to do this, nor did I say I don't understand why. I just think it sucks that they do things like this all the time to their biggest and most passionate fans, and that other companies, even in gaming, have handled the tricky situation with regards to fan projects and content much better.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Due to current copyright laws, we are essentially losing legal access to a significant amount culture for the sake of private company profits. It's especially outrageous given that a lot of the culture that is made inaccessible is collateral damage resulting from laws designed to allow private companies to (perhaps rightfully) tightly control how they monetize the small minority of their cultural assets they actually care about monetizing.

I'm no piracy advocate, but piracy is the only way a staggeringly large amount of cultural artifacts are feasibly accessible for the vast majority of people. Again, this is not advocacy. It is a description. Unfortunately, I don't see the situation changing for the better. It WILL change for the worse, though.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It's funny that when this thread was made the big issue was the removal of Three Houses music.

Just a quick search on YouTube now and there's plenty of results.
There is a high liked tweet acting as if all the song were gone form youtube when you can easily find it