• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had my gallbladder out yesterday and after having fasted and only sipped water for pills before hand I was mega thirsty. That and I guess from what I asked they really had to dose me with alot of meds to keep me sedated.

Anyway that first sip of apple juice after waking up was pure heaven. My sister said it looked like when a baby has something unexpectedly sweet for the first time.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Opposite experience for me. I was in a coma for a month and when I woke up and was able to talk again I asked for Taco Bell and a Pepsi. It tasted like nothing. Granted, I suffered brain trauma and lost my ability to smell which greatly affects taste so that probably had something to do with it...

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Opposite experience for me. I was in a coma for a month and when I woke up and was able to talk again I asked for Taco Bell and a Pepsi. It tasted like nothing. Granted, I suffered brain trauma and lost my ability to smell which greatly affects taste so that probably had something to do with it...
well fuck what I was gonna say

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I no longer think I can post my original response now. I didn't know there was a competition, but if clearly lost.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Wow, uhhhhhh you win. I totally forgot what I was going to say now.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
well fuck what I was gonna say
I no longer think I can post my original response now. I didn't know there was a competition, but if clearly lost.
lol it's not that cray. it took maybe 3 or 4 months to adjust but I'm used to not actually tasting now. your brain compensates by using food texture and memory to create a sort of false taste for things. (everything blends together and tastes the same) it just means I can't be a professional chef now lol

Nov 2, 2017
I had stomach surgery to fix an ulcer and didn't get to eat or drink for days after the surgery as well as the before surgery fast, having everything be intravenous. Finally, that drink of room temperature water (despite hurting once it hit my stomach) was the best thing I've ever had. My mouth was so dry that I could barely form words.

There will never be a better feeling.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

I had something similar but didn't lose my sense of taste. My dad brought me sweet tea while I was still drugged up and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I had surgery on my leg a little over a month ago and the first thing I did when I got home was order Chipotle. I don't find Chipotle all that special but I was craving it after waking up and it was amazing.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They give lemon or lime juice during recovery from anaesthesia because your bowels and stomach acids are pretty much shut down and to restart it something acidic helps a lot.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Two weeks ago I had a op to break up a kidney stone stuck in my ureter tube, plus then had to have a stent put into the tube. I had a cup of tea made for me when I woke up and it was heaven.

After that I was pissing blood and it felt like I was pissing razor blades (the camera/laser and stent had to be inserted through my dick) which took the shine off the tea a bit, but god damn that was the best cuppa I've ever had.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I had the swine flu during the pandemic in 2009. It was the sickest I've ever been, and I was unable to keep anything down for nearly a week. My entire diet was effectively watered-down yogurt and soup, since anything else would come back up almost immediately. For years, I avoided stuff like Progresso and Campbell's because of how I associated it with being bedridden for two weeks, and unable to eat solid food for the bulk of it.

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure I almost died.

Finally recovering from that and being able to eat a bowl of pho (as in, actually eat it, not just sipping the broth after letting meat sit in it for a few minutes) was the best day of that entire year. Considering 2009 was a bit shit for me, capping it off with a deadly virus was not how I would've liked to end the year. I digress.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I don't remember drinking anything after my recent surgeries.

I was massively excited by the concept of my wife bringing me a Mocha (I'd been off coffee for the entire time I was in hospital, which is frankly astonishing).

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Waking up from anesthesia literally the best feeling in the world physically for about 30 mins to 1 hr, before the pain hits.

I've had surgery twice, but unlucky I couldn't eat anything afterwards.

OP
OP

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waking up from anesthesia literally the best feeling in the world physically for about 30 mins to 1 hr, before the pain hits.

I've had surgery twice.

I woke up fairly soon after my surgery was over. I woke up with such a pain in my right shoulder because they had filled me up with co2 during the operation. I just remember making this noise like "ehhhuuuuhhhgghh" for a minute or two then they put my CPAP mask on me and I fell asleep for 20 minutes woke back up much clearer yet still groggy. I cried like twice while thanking the nurses and high fived them and kept saying their names so I knew was waking up.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Best thing I ever tasted was room temperature water after waking up while being very dehydrated. My mouth was like the Sahara. I was so dehydrated, my vision was blurry. I actually didn't notice it was blurry until I got hydrated again and it was like my vision had been upgraded to HD. I drank a large cup of water on my night stand and it was the best drink I've ever had.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Exact same experience for me after getting a tonsillectomy. They gave me one of those cheap frozen juice pops, and apparently I was begging them for another like a little kid.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A sandwhich and a beer at the summit after a long and strenuous hike hits so good.

the views help too

Oct 25, 2017
I can't directly compare to that experience, but I was suffering pretty severe heat exhaustion after doing a ropes course in El Salvador and at the end I got a cold Fanta in a glass bottle. Was like the nectar of the gods.

Second best was stream water straight from the mountains of Virginia. Had to purify it with iodine and neutralize the taste of said iodine, but it's still the best water I've tasted in my entire life.