• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirbutashi

Oct 25, 2017
71rq2w6.png

The GameFly site and services have been sold to GameFly Holdings, LLC. The same great team will continue to support your video game play. Your personal information will be transferred to GameFly Holdings, LLC in accordance with the GameFly Privacy Policy, which can be viewed here. Please contact Customer Support at [email protected] if you have any questions.

While managing my queue recently, I spotted this foreboding looking notification up towards the top. I did some cursory searching around to try and find more details or information, but have come up short. I guess what I'm curious about is if this is more dire for the service than it looks, or if its really nothing more than your average corporate restructuring. I'm more used to LLCs cropping up when something switches ownership and is ready for even more cutbacks. If anyone can shed some light, I'd appreciate it.

Aside from losing the Florida distribution center years back (knocking game shipment times down from next day to about five business days), I haven't had much of a complaint with the service. But with how things seem to be going for everyone that isn't a big box retailer, I've always wondered how much longer the business would last.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
What are their services? They a retailer? For some reason I thought they're just a VG website.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Gamefly has been the deal best in gaming for the last decade with the old gift certificates 3 month deal. Even without it, it's still probably the best deal given you can play every single new game on release day for 20 bucks a month. Hope this isn't the end for them.

OP
OP
Kirbutashi

Kirbutashi

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefly has been the deal best in gaming for the last decade with the old gift certificates 3 month deal. Even without it, it's still probably the best deal given you can play every single new game on release day for 20 bucks a month. Hope this isn't the end for them.
Yea. I'd have to severely cut down on how many games get through my hands in a year without it. I don't have the patience to play the trade-in game others do.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
GF always had great sales during this time of year. I'd usually buy one to three games form their site, all at a crazy discount, and they all came with all the dlc. Sure hope none of this changes, I was lookin forward to it this year, lots of games I missed out on this gen.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
been using them for a decade now, it's the only way I can cover new releases on my youtube channel without going broke buying games.

was also a bit concerned when I saw the notice a few days ago.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
eyes got big when I first saw that notice last week. Hopefully this doesn't mean anything significant, I'll ride with GF until the day it dies but it'll be a sad day when it does.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed this as well. I'm still mad they got rid of gift certificates. They finally realized people were abusing them lol

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to lie, I thought GameFly had gone under a long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they close down by this time next year. Buyouts like these usually happen when a company's hurting for cash flow. Digital distribution's absolutely decimating the physical market.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I am still considering doing the rentals. I don't have s much time but I am in the mood to try a lot of different games, take my time with it, for $20/month.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
On its own, it only means that GameFly is looking to diversify what they do. Makes sense, as physical media is becoming less and less of a thing.

Is it a bad sign? Can be. Is it a good sign? Can be. It's probably not a great sign, but it doesn't mean doom-and-gloom either.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefly would have been great if they weren't 3 to 4 times slower than Netflix is to deliver a disc.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how this will affect the service Hong forward, but I've had GF since 2005 when I was in college. Hopefully things don't change for the worse. I really don't need the service any more since I buy games I want now. But, since losing the Bestbuys gamers unlocked club their discount on new games is the next best. I can keep Death Stranding for $45. I'm grandfathered in the 4 games out at a time so I prob should just downgrade to 1 just to keep the discounts and coupons...

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
What Netflix was but for games.

Netflix still does DVD rentals fwiw.

Same here. It's just SUCH a good value, and they make it so convenient to play a bunch of games. I currently have Fire Emblem: Three Houses from them and they just shipped me Control. To play both of those games right now would cost me at least $60 and I'd be playing them a lot later as a result. Being able to rent games for multiple platforms and also having such a variety of titles available makes this a no-brainer service IMO.

I'm guessing / hoping it's just an organizational shuffle and not the beginnings of something more worrying. That said I noticed the message appearing last week - I think Thursday or Friday.

Gamefly would have been great if they weren't 3 to 4 times slower than Netflix is to deliver a disc.

Netflix has far more (17) distribution centers though. The other thing is Netflix's DVD mailers don't include the cardboard which means less weight and probably allows them to get cheaper rates from the USPS, which seems to have been the case in the past.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
It's really the amount of money. $23 isn't that bad per month but it depends how much I really play... I'll have to see. There are nintendo games I want to play

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just sad they closed down some of their distribution centers. What used to be a 1-2 day turnaround is more 7-god only knows now.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I don't really like about renting from them is that I find myself rushing through games to maximize my rentals. I should try to slow down more and enjoy them. Where if I buy an older game for $20, I tend to take my time with it.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I abuse the crap out of Gamefly ... 3 games at a time and I rotate them so often.. I run a youtube channel that just uploads video game title screens.. so it is not uncommon for me to install game off disc.. record title page.. ship back.

So I really would like gamefly to stick around...

Oh and they certainly have a limit of what they will ship to you.. I can pretty much put my watch to when a game will take days to ship out even with a full 50 in my list... they hold back shipments when you rent as many as I do.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
My brother has used them for a long time and I had no complaints back when I did, but I don't think the future is looking bright for them. Digital is taking over and that is not good news for them. Toss in the rise of digital subscription services and things are looking even worse.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
I just started trying out Gamefly, and it's been 2 days since I've placed games in my Queue... How long will it take for the games to ship out?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017