Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.reuters.com

Novavax COVID-19 shot could be cleared for U.S. use by May: CEO

Novavax Inc's COVID-19 vaccine could be cleared for use in the United States as soon as May if U.S. regulators authorize it based on data from the company's British trial, which could be completed "in the coming weeks," its chief executive said on Monday.
Novavax Inc's COVID-19 vaccine could be cleared for use in the United States as soon as May if U.S. regulators authorize it based on data from the company's British trial, which could be completed "in the coming weeks," its chief executive said on Monday.

However, Chief Executive Stanley Erck added that talks with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are ongoing and the agency may require Novavax to submit data from its U.S. trial, which could take an additional two months to complete, pushing back U.S. clearance to mid-summer.
Preliminary data from its UK trial released in January showed the vaccine to be around 96% effective against the original version of the coronavirus and around 86% effective against the now widely circulating variant first discovered in Britain.

Novavax can already manufacture its shots at scale and will be able to have tens of millions of doses stockpiled and ready to ship in the United States when it receives authorization, Erck said.

"It will be substantial - in the many tens of millions or a hundred million," Erck said in an interview.
Novavax's vaccine is a two-dose regimen like Pfizer's and Moderna's, but is easier to ship as it can be stored at refrigerator temperatures, rather than frozen.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I want all of them and become 500% effective against all strains. Just become a walking anti COVID field.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
This is just my speculation, but I have a feeling that by May the US will have more supply than demand and will be able to start sending some vaccine to Canada and Mexico.

Novavax and Johnson & Johnson would be the prime candidates as they're easy to transport.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I want a vaccine so bad. Everybody here is gonna get a vaccine, right? Right? I just wanna go back to the movies.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
This is just my speculation, but I have a feeling that by May the US will have more supply than demand and will be able to start sending some vaccine to Canada and Mexico.

Novavax and Johnson & Johnson would be the prime candidates as they're easy to transport.
From your lips to God's ears. May we have the infrastructure in place to get the shots in arms by then too.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason why this couldn't be done already. The US and the UK are the only countries that don't supply other countries with their current production.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
There is no reason why this couldn't be done already. The US and the UK are the only countries that don't supply other countries with their current production.
The US government bought and paid for these doses, funded development, and helped build the factories.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The US government bought and paid for these doses, funded development, and helped build the factories.
Pfizer didn't participate to Operation Warspeed, the vaccine development was funded by Germany and the factories were certainly existing decades before this.
It is only Trumpian politics why no US factory is used for international delivery, so let's not pretend the US is humanitarian when it starts delivering to other countries.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to the rest of the countries around the world, that also bought and paid for their doses (at an extra above what EU or USA paid), and also funded early development of factories by paying a good chunk of the money when the deal was signed (and not as they were getting the vaccines).
Only difference could be in funding development... but that os an iffy condition as most of the big pharma got their vaccines from smaller government funded start ups (biontech, oxford, moderna) and their governments also funded other vaccines alternatives.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just hope enough of the world gets vaccinated soon enough so that mutations don't render these vaccines that much more ineffective.

Also are the numbers getting any better in the u.s. in terms of people willing to take the vaccine? I really hope so

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Compared to the rest of the countries around the world, that also bought and paid for their doses (at an extra above what EU or USA paid), and also funded early development of factories by paying a good chunk of the money when the deal was signed (and not as they were getting the vaccines).
Sure, but none of those contracts were for vaccine made in the United States.

The bottom line is that the US is still nowhere close to meeting demand. Give it a few months. There will be plenty of surplus in time to help the rest of the world.

Let's just hope enough of the world gets vaccinated soon enough so that mutations don't render these vaccines that much more ineffective.

Also are the numbers getting any better in the u.s. in terms of people willing to take the vaccine? I really hope so
sB6jCFx.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

The bottom line is that the US is still nowhere close to meeting demand. Give it a few months. There will be plenty of surplus in time to help the rest of the world.
You could have just said that to begon with, America first, and not go through bs of America being a unique case among all countries.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
You could have just said that to begon with, America first, and not go through bs of America being a unique case among all countries.
What are you even talking about? I said that when supply overtakes demand, we might be able to send vaccine to other countries.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
What are you even talking about? I said that when supply overtakes demand, we might be able to send vaccine to other countries.
So America First. Let's not pretend otherwise. Canada, Israel and others are really happy the EU didn't do that.

Because companies like Pfizer/countries like Canada explicitly were scared Trump would nationalize the factories if they thought about exporting.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the UK and on a Novovax Trial

Got jabbed twice in Nov / Dec. No side effects. Obviously I don't know whether I'm in a placebo group or got the real thing - interestingly though I got a letter last week to say it's becoming a cross trial, so in the next 4-6 weeks I'll be getting another two jabs with whatever I didn't have in my first round (so if I didn't get the vaccine last time, I will this time)

Will let you know if my head blows up

Oct 25, 2017

sB6jCFx.png

Fascinating... So is this how white genocide actually happens? Self-genocide?

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Not if US citizens cheer on Trumpian politics and pretend they are humanitarian about supplying other countries in a couple of months time.
Then you should write your MEP, or however else citizens can democratically influence EU leadership.

Prioritizing the lives of your own citizens is generally what democratic leaders are elected to do. Biden ran on it, and people voted for him.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Then you should write your MEP, or however else citizens can democratically influence EU leadership.

Prioritizing the lives of your own citizens is generally what democratic leaders are elected to do. Biden ran on it, and people voted for him.
The best way to end this is by vaccinating everyone in the world and minimize the chance of any possible variation appearing in a non-vaccinated country that creates a set back for all. Fully vaccinating your country while your neighbors arent is not a good plan as it can lead to those kind of problems. It sells great for the domestic media tho.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

So it is preferable that 70-year old Canadians die so 20-year old Americans can be vaccinated first?

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
The best way to end this is by vaccinating everyone in the world and minimize the chance of any possible variation appearing in a non-vaccinated country that creates a set back for all.
Of course. That's why the United States has pledged more to COVAX than all of Europe combined.
www.resetera.com

Biden to pledge $4 billion to vaccinate poorer countries at G7 meeting Friday

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-covax/biden-to-pledge-4-billion-to-covax-vaccine-program-at-g7-meeting-friday-idUSKBN2AI2YP

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. That's why the United States has pledged more to COVAX than all of Europe combined.
www.resetera.com

Biden to pledge $4 billion to vaccinate poorer countries at G7 meeting Friday

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-covax/biden-to-pledge-4-billion-to-covax-vaccine-program-at-g7-meeting-friday-idUSKBN2AI2YP
Vaccines that are right now coming from EU (Pfizer and Moderna) and Indian (AZ) factories, while the US production is busy only with the US, with them coming later on (at which time US and other western countried will probably donate the majority of their overflow vaccines as they have over ordered for safety).

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Vaccines that are right now coming from EU (Pfizer and Moderna) and Indian (AZ) factories, while the US production is busy only with the US, with them coming later on (at which time US and other western countried will probably donate the majority of their overflow vaccines as they have over ordered for safety).
Vaccines that still, so far, primarily paid for by the United States. It's great that other countries are supplying them but they aren't doing so for free.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
It's great that US has procured commitments for vaccines 4-5 times their actual population.

Here in Spain I got an approximate date for end of the year vaccination. Taking into account I have a mile cardiac condition and been isolating for a year now.

"Fuck you, got mine" let's celebrate the US hoarding

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Vaccines that still, so far, primarily paid for by the United States. It's great that other countries are supplying them but they aren't doing so for free.
Through various initiatives, the EU and its countries are bringing 16 billion into the global rollout.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even need it at this point. By then we'll have more than enough to cover the population. Hopefully we can donate it to other countries.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017

sB6jCFx.png
This is graph is so frustrating because White Republicans are also the people who want to eat at a packed restaurant while licking the tables to own the libs. They're going to hold us back for what might be years.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that US has procured commitments for vaccines 4-5 times their actual population.

Here in Spain I got an approximate date for end of the year vaccination. Taking into account I have a mile cardiac condition and been isolating for a year now.

What the fuck. That sucks.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

When the commitments were made, we had no idea which vaccines would work. I don't think anyone thought that we'd have several vaccines that were effective.

Anyway, I expect Biden's team's going to be ready to give the excess doses to other countries once we reach the point where our supply chain is full. Keep in mind we've only got just over 25 million people fully vaccinated so far, so there's probably going to be a few more months of waiting here for everyone.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Sure the US is keeping their vaccines for themselves, but let's not pretend that EU or many other countries are doing much better. I think all Western countries have prioritized vaccinating their own population to the point where they can vaccinate their entire population before vulnerable people elsewhere have the opportunity.

That those countries are funding/buying/supporting those vaccines does not really make it fair as they are the only countries capable of doing so anyway. Which puts low-income countries further behind as they do not have the means to vaccinate their populations as fast.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not if US citizens cheer on Trumpian politics and pretend they are humanitarian about supplying other countries in a couple of months time.
The US is one of the worst hit countries with this and is nowhere close to getting people vaccinated although it's ramping up rapidly.

Yes of course the US is going to be priority.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sB6jCFx.png

This chart is insane. The distrust of vaccines is absolutely ludicrous. All I can think of right now is how terrified of the future everyone in the Social Dilemma was because of the power of social media to shape thinking like this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hopefully once we start seeing the easier to transport and store vaccines manufactured at any kind of scale, we'll start seeing more vaccines reach countries that don't have the wealth of the US or the EU.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sure the US is keeping their vaccines for themselves, but let's not pretend that EU or many other countries are doing much better. I think all Western countries have prioritized vaccinating their own population to the point where they can vaccinate their entire population before vulnerable people elsewhere have the opportunity.

That those countries are funding/buying/supporting those vaccines does not really make it fair as they are the only countries capable of doing so anyway. Which puts low-income countries further behind as they do not have the means to vaccinate their populations as fast.
Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world where countries will prioritize or support other countries first before theirs. It will always be their own citizens before others. That's just how it is.

The only grip I have is forcing these companies not to export these vaccines to other countries which they have contracts.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
The US is one of the worst hit countries with this and is nowhere close to getting people vaccinated although it's ramping up rapidly.

Yes of course the US is going to be priority.

The US is badly hit sure, but serious cases should ramp down super fast when vulnerable people are vaccinated.

When looking at excess death and relative percentages there are also a lot of worse hit countries. This image even excludes a lot of countries that don't have data available.

all-countries-fixedscale.png

https://github.com/dkobak/excess-mortality

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, the efficacy of the Novavax vaccine drops a lot for the South African variant. Overall, it had an efficacy of only 49.4% against it (which wouldn't even meet the 50% threshold set by the FDA), though that rose to 60% when you exclude HIV-positive individuals. So it's still a good vaccine, but it really needs to be directed to countries which haven't seen the South African (or Brazilian, which I think is similar?) variant.

Source: https://ir.novavax.com/news-release...-vaccine-demonstrates-893-efficacy-uk-phase-3