• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Given the concern and confusion of discussions in the wake of the current novel coronavirus outbreak (aka 2019-nCoV or COVID-19), the team has allowed me to reboot the coronavirus thread with a more comprehensive OP for our members to learn about the disease and its current situation, so as so prime conversation and prevent misinformation. It is important to emphasize that information on COVID-19 continues to emerge and evolve as researchers and medical professionals around the world contend with this ongoing outbreak; statements (including the opinions of other posters) should therefore be evaluated in that light.

The World Health Organization (WHO), the public health arm of the United Nations, has a handy webpage on the current outbreak, with a plethora of links to guidelines and information.
www.who.int

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – World Health Organization

Information on COVID-19, the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus.

Of particular interest to the general public is their Q&A on some of the most common concerns regarding the disease and its interactions with other health conditions:

Question and answers hub

These question and answers on COVID-19 and related health topics are updated regularly based on new scientific findings as the pandemic evolves.

As well as their page on recommendations for the public in protecting against infection:
www.who.int

Advice for the public on COVID-19 – World Health Organization

Simple precautions to reduce your chances of being infected or spreading COVID-19.

Travel advice:

Travel advice

For those interested in keeping abreast of emerging epidemiological information, the WHO also releases daily global situation reports, which can be found here:
www.who.int

Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Situation Reports

The Weekly Epidemiological Update provides an overview of the global, regional and country-level COVID-19 cases and deaths, highlighting key data and trends; as well as other pertinent epidemiological information concerning the COVID-19 pandemic.

For a streamlined overview globally, please refer to the WHO's interactive situation dashboard:

COVID-19 cases | WHO COVID-19 dashboard

The latest data for coronavirus (COVID-19) cases from the WHO COVID-19 dashboard.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the national public health institute of the United States, has also composed a hub dedicated to the coronavirus, which is of particular interest to our American members, but also provides information of use to our members globally.

Coronavirus | Home | CDC

CDC Coronavirus: Coronaviruses are common throughout the world. They can infect people and animals. Five different coronaviruses can infect people and make them sick. They usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory illness.

Below you'll find some PDF factsheets with a quick overview of COVID-19:

What you need to know
English
Simplified Chinese
Spanish

What to do if you are sick
English
Simplified Chinese
Spanish

How to Protect Yourself:
www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Your Health

Symptoms, testing, what to do if sick, daily activities, and more.

Steps to Take If You Are Sick:
www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Your Health

Symptoms, testing, what to do if sick, daily activities, and more.

Considerations for Travel:
www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.
_________

Official Staff Communication
This pandemic is a serious situation and as such deserves a serious level of discussion. Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated information from unverified or disreputable sources, baseless conspiracy theories, or low-effort fear-mongering. Please also refrain from dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease. Any comments failing to do so may be subject to moderation. Thank you.

Last edited:

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
Nice consolidation of info! Hopefully this will answer most of the general questions people have.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: woman on Diamond Princess cruise ship tested positive after disembarking

Health minister apologises after 23 passengers left the ship without being properly tested

Japan has confirmed that a woman who tested negative and left the coronavirus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship later tested positive, raising more questions about the effectiveness of quarantine measures. The health minister, Katsunobu Kato, apologised after 23 passengers were allowed to leave the ship without being properly tested and vowed to have people retested.

The woman in her 60s returned home to the Tochigi prefecture north of Tokyo by train on Wednesday, but she had a fever on Friday and tested positive on Saturday, a local official said.

She was the first passenger to have tested positive in Japan after having been cleared to disembark.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Good idea to have a new, organized thread now that Coronavirus is spreading all over the world.
Meanwhile, this is the current Italian situation:

-76 positive cases
-2 deaths
-18 people in ICU

Moreover, 11 cities are in quarantine, with more than 50 thousands people.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Those reinfection news are worrying. I hope that is not something prevalent among all who get it, otherwise it is going to really suck for those with co-morbidities.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wuhan took practically the most extreme measures to contain this virus yet the cases are still spreading at a fast clip. Very concerning.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: woman on Diamond Princess cruise ship tested positive after disembarking

Health minister apologises after 23 passengers left the ship without being properly tested

You know, I thought things (on a global level) were starting to settle down a bit, but then I read stories like this, and another where someone from Wuhan had no symptoms, travelled, and then infected 5 family members. Then there's other countries like Italy and Iran that are starting to list more fatalities... Still as lot we don't really know about this virus and no ETA on a vaccine yet, either. Not enough to sit around and be scared, but it IS serious enough to just be cautious about, at least. Because of how it's spreading in these other countries, who have reportedly have not had contact with anyone from China IS concerning, and it is for the best that many huge events are being postponed/cancelled.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
All Italy should get a lockdown to actually reduce the spread, since the virus has certainly already spread all over the country at this point. We aren't anticiping the corona behavior enough.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Please remember, reducing economic activity is also dangerous especially to the most vulnerable population. I want to ask, hows the supermarkets in China, especially in Wuhan, are they still being restocked and plenty?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Thank you for putting up the work on OP.

Seems like we're on the 2nd phase of the outbreak. While the daily number of new cases in China is slowing down, we see more confirmed ones worldwide.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
My wife's GM just contacted her. It looks like they will have a meeting tomorrow about whether they will keep their Seoul office open or if they should start to work from home. Her office building is one of the biggest ones in the Gangnam Financial District. It looks like we may see another China-like situation where people start to work from home all over the country.

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My wife's GM just contacted her. It looks like they will have a meeting tomorrow about whether they will keep their Seoul office open or if they should start to work from home. Her office building is one of the biggest ones in the Gangnam Financial District. It looks like we may see another China-like situation where people start to work from home all over the country.
I'm honestly surprised more companies haven't been proactive with letting employees who are capable of working from home doing so, they seem to be taking a reactive approach when shit has hit the fan.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How is that something that needs a discussion?

jfdi

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
At the moment seems to be located in Lombardia and Veneto only, we in Rome for example are living normally at the moment.
All Northern Italy is in alert. In Turin (Piemonte) there are already 3 positive cases and I suspect that more will appear in the day. There are positive cases in Piacenza (Emilia Romagna), too.
Instead, Central and Southern Italy seem completely fine for the moment.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017

Anybody getting the impression it's more widespread than we know since nobody is being tested?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Jesus. Looks like a horror movie or something. Desperation is starting to kick-in in Wuhan.

I very much doubt this is a normal occurrence. For one, it takes a lot of energy to yell for any length of time (not to mention getting hoarse).
My guess would be this is a one time thing, maybe because it's the one month anniversary?

Don't get me wrong, those people definitely aren't having a good time, but it's very unlikely they are yelling like this every night.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
www.waaytv.com

Governor issues statement about coronavirus quarantine center in Alabama

Gov. Kay Ivey said the announcement from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was sent prematurely.

www.wbrc.com

Anniston city leaders blindsided by plan to use local FEMA facility as part of Coronavirus quarantine

The FEMA Center in Anniston will be used to quarantine some passengers from the Diamond Princess.

ANNISTON, Ala. (WBRC) - City leaders in Anniston say they were not prepared for the Department of Health and Human Services plan to use a FEMA center in Anniston, Alabama to quarantine some passengers from the Diamond Princess who tested positive for the coronavirus.

HHS announced Saturday that passengers who tested positive, but do not have symptoms, will be quarantined at the FEMA Center for Domestic Preparedness in Anniston. If an evacuee becomes seriously ill, they will be transported to "pre-identified hospitals" for medical care.

"We were surprised. We had no idea. We were not consulted in any fashion," said Anniston Mayor Jack Draper. "This was a decision by the federal government and the federal government solely."

City leaders are deeply concerned about the plan. At a press conference Saturday afternoon, they said they know very little details, including what the "pre-identified hospitals" will be. They also expressed concern about how quickly things could move.

"It's our understanding that they will be transported probably next week," Draper said about when the patients are expected to arrive in Anniston.

"I don't believe this area is prepared to take this on at the time," said Tim Hodges, Chairman of the Calhoun Co. Commision. "We're going to be working on our end to try and come up with some ways to at least temporarily stop this, try to get the federal court involved. Maybe have a chance to get all the parties involved to sit down and take a closer look at this."

Here's the press conference.

The Anniston, Alabama officials look like deer in headlights and were caught totally unaware of this decision by the federal government.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I very much doubt this is a normal occurrence. For one, it takes a lot of energy to yell for any length of time (not to mention getting hoarse).
My guess would be this is a one time thing, maybe because it's the one month anniversary?

Don't get me wrong, those people definitely aren't having a good time, but it's very unlikely they are yelling like this every night.

Probably just expressing mass frustration.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019

Anybody getting the impression it's more widespread than we know since nobody is being tested?

I think so. But that is just speculation. I did wonder if that is the case in Japan, just solely on the basis, whilst cases are being diagnosed, its the only country with a substantial amount of cases that don't exist in clusters like China, South Korea, Italy etc do. Of course there are isolated cases in other countries, but it just seems odd, that with a 130+ cases they seem a bit sporadic. It goes against what I perceive happening in other countries at least.

If anyone can correct me, or validate that that be great.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
At the moment seems to be located in Lombardia and Veneto only, we in Rome for example are living normally at the moment.

im thinking to cancel my travel to Turin in 2 weeks. Have a lot of my dev team travelling too (have a big office there). Will talk to HR tomorrow to see if they're planning any travel restrictions to/from that office

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Maybe, but they definitely didn't start today.

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
Schools are being closed in Milan for 1 week, that's an unprecedented move on italian soil for health reasons
video.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, il sindaco Sala: 'A Milano scuole chiuse per una settimana'

'La chiusura delle scuole ad oggi sarà di una settimana, ritengo e spero sia sufficiente. Proporrò al presidente della Regione di allargare l'intervento a livello di città metropolitana'. Lo ha affermato il sindaco di Milano Giuseppe Sala nel corso di una conferenza stampa in Prefettura. 'Non...

Updated the count of positive cases: 132 in Italy (26 in ICU).
If you want to follow real time updates from Italy, there's La Repubblica with a live feed

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My fiancé goes to university in Milan. All of next week's lessons, exams, events are canceled in the entire town. Even sports events (eg. Inter Milan was supposed to play today, no longer). Turin applying similar measures, too. As someone who lives about halfway between them, curious to see what's gonna happen here. This area is currently untouched by current reports, but I can definitely see certain workplaces and supermarkets closing.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Schools are being closed in Milan for 1 week, that's an unprecedented move on italian soil for health reasons
video.repubblica.it

Coronavirus, il sindaco Sala: 'A Milano scuole chiuse per una settimana'

'La chiusura delle scuole ad oggi sarà di una settimana, ritengo e spero sia sufficiente. Proporrò al presidente della Regione di allargare l'intervento a livello di città metropolitana'. Lo ha affermato il sindaco di Milano Giuseppe Sala nel corso di una conferenza stampa in Prefettura. 'Non...

Updated the count of positive cases: 132 in Italy (26 in ICU).
If you want to follow real time updates from Italy, there's La Repubblica with a live feed

The number of patients in ICU is worrying🙁

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Only 6 cases in Turin and now the local Civil Protection has in mind to close all the public offices in town. This is strange.

www.lastampa.it

Cresce l’allarme coronavirus, sospesa Torino-Parma. Ipotesi chiusura degli uffici pubblici

E’ in corso un vertice nella sede della protezione civile in corso Marche, 79
Also all the universities are going to be closed. We are waiting for the length of the closure, at the moment. Yesterday they were thinking about two days, let's see if they decided to extend it to the full week.

Edit: just announced, the whole week
www.google.it

Chiuse per una settimana tutte le scuole, le università, i musei, i cinema e le palestre del Piemonte

Stop anche per gli asili e le scuole per l'infanzia: la decisione ieri sera poco prima di mezzanotte

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My office in Milan told us to work from home until further notice. My girlfriend is very worried about her mom, who's a stage IV cancer patient and completely immunosuppressed.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm surprised it's isolated to Italy at this point in Europe, but I guess we'll see how it pans out in coming weeks

Also fantastic OT, OP