• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2018
question: Since the transmission is from droplets, if a person sneezes or coughs, how long does that virus stay "alive/active" on whatever it drops on? like if a person isn't around anyone, coughs and some of that gets on a door handle they never touched. How long is that window of time before it can potentially infect or reinfect a person(s)? sorry if the cdc already talked about it.
We don't know definitively yet, but it's thought to be 5 days maximum.

IIRC your typical flu is mostly like 1-2 days on surfaces

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Its starting to look bad. Apparently there could be a 2008 level recession now. Its spread pretty much everywhere.

Officially worried not only about the deaths if its spreads everywhere but about the reaction, and how it will affect our lives, in terms of jobs and essentials becoming scarce.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its starting to look bad. Apparently there could be a 2008 level recession now. Its spread pretty much everywhere.

Officially worried not only about the deaths if its spreads everywhere but about the reaction, and how it will affect our lives, in terms of jobs and essentials becoming scarce.

Says who? An 08 recession was a borderline depression caused by the entire banking/financial sector collapsing. That's not happening.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm finally out of Costco. You would have thought the world was ending, and people were loading up their bunkers. People were loading pallets with hundreds of gallons of water, and cases of TP. I saw one lady, with a full pallet AND another loaded shopping cart. lol

It's good people are taking it seriously, but this is how places run out of things.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

That seems incredibly unlikely.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to be living in the french countryside with very little outside interaction. It honestly doesn't seem that concerning right now though. There's just so few people that actually have it. If China can handle it then other countries certainly can.

Haha, mildly unhappy about living smack dab in the middle of a city and working in a hospital.

But hey, you can't always come out on top!

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Says who? An 08 recession was a borderline depression caused by the entire banking/financial sector collapsing. That's not happening.

Says economists, journalists and the Guardian, unfortunately. Stocks tanking around the world. Business shutting down. Economic activity grinding to a halt. We don't know how bad it will get, but its not looking good.

Coronavirus 'could trigger damage on scale of 2008 financial crisis'
Analysts issue warning over Covid-19 as global financial markets continue to tumble

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus fears trigger biggest one-day fall on US stock market

Dow plunges 1,190 points as analysts say virus could inflict as much damage as 2008 crisis

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
great
my ex-coworker talked to me today and he said they had to stop working because they couldn't get ANY mask in our entire area.
He works in construction btw and they are tearing down an old building full with hazardous shit.
now they have to wait till new masks arrive and that could take "a while" (according to the supplier)

(and, yes, the company has a certain amount of masks stocked but when you have a big project going on you're running out pretty fast)

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Says economists, journalists and the Guardian, unfortunately. Stocks tanking around the world. Business shutting down. Economic activity grinding to a halt. We don't know how bad it will get, but its not looking good.

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus fears trigger biggest one-day fall on US stock market

Dow plunges 1,190 points as analysts say virus could inflict as much damage as 2008 crisis
"Could" is a pretty liberal word. The odds are almost zero.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Ok guys, I need someone to soothe my mind, I know this is paranoid and stupid but I just picked up an oculus quest, Facebook has admitted the quest supply is affected by the virus... the quest is also a thing that you strap to your face.... I know I know, but Is there potentially ANY risk there? What do you guys think?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally out of Costco. You would have thought the world was ending, and people were loading up their bunkers. People were loading pallets with hundreds of gallons of water, and cases of TP. I saw one lady, with a full pallet AND another loaded shopping cart. lol

It's good people are taking it seriously, but this is how places run out of things.

Yup, this is precisely why it was important to get in on it weeks ago, or at worst, right now before people really start to panic.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Masks have very limited utility for the general public. Stock up on soap and alcohol-based hand sanitizer instead, and train yourself to wash your hands routinely. Do not rub your nose, eyes, touch your mouth, chew your fingernails, etc. If you have any of those habits, break them.

This can be easier said than done. A lot of the habits I do, I don't even realize I'm doing them (and trust me, I've been trying for many years to be more conscious, it's not easy...) Let's add on allergies that give me an itchy face, but I try and use tissues and stuff to scratch my nose when I can. What makes things even harder, is that I have an awful case of dry skin on my hands. Washing my hands too much (especially the alchohol from sanitizers) dry them out WORSE, which causes it to crack and bleed... I try and lotion as much as I can, but even with medicated lotion it won't clear up until the dry-cold weather leaves. So there's a lot more going on for some, and using gloves everywhere prob won't help too much either.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Ok guys, I need someone to soothe my mind, I know this is paranoid and stupid but I just picked up an oculus quest, Facebook has admitted the quest supply is affected by the virus... the quest is also a thing that you strap to your face.... I know I know, but Is there potentially ANY risk there? What do you guys think?

Zero risk.

If it makes you feel better wipe it down with an antiseptic.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder why do people stock up so much on water and tp? I mean, most houses have wells or are on city water. The only thing that could disrupt that is a prolonged power outage and I don't see the correlation with an epidemic. As for TP, I like the convenience and all, and I do have some in stock, but as long as running water is available, you can wash your parts instead of using tp. People should concentrate on food and medecine/hygiene items I'd say.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sorry, I should have worded that differently. My dad is one of those "won't go to the doctor until things get bad" kind of person. A couple of months ago we had quite a scare because he thought he could handle fever and diarrhea just by drinking pedialyte and antipyretics. He ended up hospitalized almost a month with a compromised liver. So I'm trying to get him to understand this stuff is serious and isn't a common cold (which is what I should have said instead of the flu). Apologies.

Thanks, that's very informative. I'll talk to my parents about this.

You don't have to apologize! It's definitely important to be looking out for them and taking it more seriously, especially with compromised immune systems!

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I wonder why do people stock up so much on water and tp? I mean, most houses have wells or are on city water. The only thing that could disrupt that is a prolonged power outage and I don't see the correlation with an epidemic. As for TP, I like the convenience and all, and I do have some in stock, but as long as running water is available, you can wash your parts instead of using tp. People should concentrate on food and medecine/hygiene items I'd say.
Yeah it seems odd. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary with food. It was almost entirely water and TP. It's interesting to see how society reacts during these events.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked this hasn't hit here in NYC yet but it starting to feel like a close inevitability. Knock on wood.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
great
my ex-coworker talked to me today and he said they had to stop working because they couldn't get ANY mask in our entire area.
He works in construction btw and they are tearing down an old building full with hazardous shit.
now they have to wait till new masks arrive and that could take "a while" (according to the supplier)

(and, yes, the company has a certain amount of masks stocked but when you have a big project going on you're running out pretty fast)
They may want to look at more expensive respirators to be honest. Cheap masks are going to be impossible to find due to the Chinese panic and buying them up everywhere.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

don't worry. there is no risk.
goods take a LONG way from being packed to being used. no virus stays activated that long

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides, I feel like it makes more sense to have a water filter/purification system, or purification tables. Even if you buy gallons of water it's bound to run off eventually. No?

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
"Could" is a pretty liberal word. The odds are almost zero.

This is a strange response if you actually read the article. No, the word 'could' is not liberal, unfortunately. And the odds not zero, again not sure how you get there if you read the article you are replying to.

Maybe you know something the economist and financial experts, and Guardian journalists don't. If you want to impeach the article thats fine, but an actual reason might be nice. Reading it before dismissing, would be too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
great

This was the sort of concern I posted on a while back, except mine was with the thought of fire season outbreaking, and hoping enough stock will be ready by then. Construction stuff is definitely another thing that give people health issues with what they are working on.

I always think it's weird when there's a natural disaster and people stock up on milk and bread. Milk requires electricity and parishes, bread also needs to be eaten quickly or frozen, and also parishes. It's more like an "instinct" I guess?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
People asking about stocking up on water: Where do you live, and what's the tap water quality like?

You could not pay me enough to drink the water from my faucet.

*smash cut to 6 months ago, Corona Beer conference room*

Guys, this is going to sound really bad, but I have a crazy idea
lmao, thank you, got a big laugh out of me

[guy devises plan to cure virus with Corona Beer]
[gets fired for showing his dick on social media]

question: Since the transmission is from droplets, if a person sneezes or coughs, how long does that virus stay "alive/active" on whatever it drops on? like if a person isn't around anyone, coughs and some of that gets on a door handle they never touched. How long is that window of time before it can potentially infect or reinfect a person(s)? sorry if the cdc already talked about it.
For airborne droplets, they probably don't know that for sure for how long it can be in the air but it is going to be a short distance (a meter or two). As for how long the virus can survive on a surface is most likely days.
Current best estimates are between a few minutes and a couple days depending on the surface roughness and finish and material. A shiny door handle will harbor the virus for at least several hours.
We don't know definitively yet, but it's thought to be 5 days maximum.

IIRC your typical flu is mostly like 1-2 days on surfaces
The number keeps changing, but the current estimate is up to 9 days on "shiny" surfaces such as metal, glass, and plastic. The jury is still out on paper, haven't seen any updates posted since China started to quarantine their money.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why do people stock up so much on water and tp?

In my case, the only reason I bother is because we are on well water, and our pump runs on electricity. We have a generator for the house that runs off of our propane tank, so there is a backup, but in the event that we can no longer run the generator I want to have some water on hand as a backup to my backup.

I know sounds silly, but I use the "two is one, one is none" rule a lot.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

I've already started ordering food supplies via online groceries and probably do a few more over the next few days.
Undecided about water since I normally drink hot drinks and boil tap water.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I are planning a trip to Japan in June, but I'm starting to have some worries. Not so much about the virus itself as either the US or Japan putting up a travel ban at that time. Like, Japan will always be there once this blows over, but the uncertainty sucks.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're not likely to have food shortage either, short of a localized demand spikes where everyone rush to the supermarkets at the same time.
The point of having a stockpiles is so you don't have to go out to the stores and mingle with people as much, and in this sense, TP make as much sense as canned food (though I personally not planning on stocking on it).

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to keep restocking things. Even during the last hurricane stores were being restocked the day prior to possible landfall.

Most likely, but why risk it? Why wait until you have to go and be part of a mass of people trying to stock up? Especially when some of those people might be sick? It costs the same amount of money and time to just do it now, the shelf life of the stuff you'd buy is super long, and right now you know that there aren't any stock problems.

Maybe my attitude differs on this from some people due to the fact that I live in the heart of earthquake country, and we don't have any warnings for our disasters here.

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a company-wide email at work. TLDR: cancel non-essential work travel, reduce congregation (workplace hosts a lot of community events), offices to stay open, work remotely if you want to or should - especially if feeling sick.

Glad they're being proactive but a bit nervous how fast things are developing.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I are planning a trip to Japan in June, but I'm starting to have some worries. Not so much about the virus itself as either the US or Japan putting up a travel ban at that time. Like, Japan will always be there once this blows over, but the uncertainty sucks.
I'm in the same boat. Have a May trip to Greece and it sucks not knowing how things are going to look in 2-3 months

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Most likely, but why risk it? Why wait until you have to go and be part of a mass of people trying to stock up? Especially when some of those people might be sick? It costs the same amount of money and time to just do it now, the shelf life of the stuff you'd buy is super long, and right now you know that there aren't any stock problems.
isn't there an entire mass of people stocking up right now, which ironically also increases your chance of catching the virus if you squeeze with them

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
In my case, the only reason I bother is because we are on well water, and our pump runs on electricity. We have a generator for the house that runs off of our propane tank, so there is a backup, but in the event that we can no longer run the generator I want to have some water on hand as a backup to my backup.

I know sounds silly, but I use the "two is one, one is none" rule a lot.

Makes sense. Even though I made the comment, I too keep a couple of gallons of water handy in case of a natural disaster. I'm just thinking this wouldn't be my first go to in preparation for a quarantine or something.

People asking about stocking up on water: Where do you live, and what's the tap water quality like?

You could not pay me enough to drink the water from my faucet.

I'm in the province of Québec, Canada and my local tap water is fine. The same is true about mostly all of the province's tap water, but even then lots of people buy bottled water. It's a bit silly I find, in my region at least.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We did it! Iran (officially) has more cases than Japan and the most deaths after China!
Soon we'll be at the top of the chart.
Way to go Mr.Ayatollah!
LHNiCy5.png

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Masks have very limited utility for the general public. Stock up on soap and alcohol-based hand sanitizer instead, and train yourself to wash your hands routinely. Do not rub your nose, eyes, touch your mouth, chew your fingernails, etc. If you have any of those habits, break them.
I've started putting this awful-tasting stuff on my nails to break the habit of biting my nails. I figure it's now or never. Hard to stop adjusting my glasses with my hands, though.