• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Japan is a weird weird case. So we know shitbag Abe is under testing to keep numbers low for olympics, etc etc . Japan has a very old population and having everyone packed into Tokyo should spread this thing like wildfire. Japan was one of the first countries after outbreak to get infected and had that petri dish cruise ship disembark without proper quarantine or testing measures etc.

However, there is no reports off hospital overcrowding, hotspot areas etc. Ive read a few things to suggest reasons but none of them really add up. Of course the whole facemasks, disciplined population, social distancing etc, but in reality Tokyo has been going like normal. There's been no shutdown of restaurants or bars etc. They did shutdown the schools and sports events (well, playing to empty stadiums). Not much of Japanese companies are set up for people to work from home. trains are still crowded etc. There was also a suggestion that Japanese doctors are very good at treating pneumonia, which is the primary cause of death in the late stages for this, as they use some arthritis medicine or something late on and it cures it. However, they all don't really explain the lack of crowding at hospitals etc . Generally Japanese old people will go the doctor at the drop of the hat as it were.

All very strange.
Even though it was the weekend thus it may have contributed to the low testing, honestly, I was expecting Japan to be much worse since they're not testing as much. As you said, hospitals are not crowded. I'm honestly not sure wtf is going on here. Is it gonna get worse or will it just stay like this? A steady increase bit by bit.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Getting re-infected is highly unlikely. The vast majority of people will build an immunity to the virus once they are recovered. Immune-compromised folks might not build an immunity even if they recover. At this point what we don't know exactly is; how long the immunity will last and how often the virus will mutate into a new strain. If you build an immunity to the virus but it mutates, the mutated strain can infect you again. That said, I read earlier that this particular virus is rather large which apparently means it doesn't mutate as often which could be helpful long term.

There is no evidence for this, is there?

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I think this eclipses 9/11. We're in uncharted territory if Trump continues floundering, as the potential loss of life is unprecedented. I earnestly believe these are the last days of the America we've known to date, and I am trying to find some consolation in what I believe (read: desperately hope) will be a lurch to the left after the dust settles. This virus is going to highlight every major problem Progressives have been trying to tackle for decades. It's going to primarily ravage the generations holding back this country, and Republicans in particular will be the least prepared and most shell shocked thanks to their constant consumption of lies.

This virus will mark the first time since the Great Depression, and the Civil War before it, that the actual citizens of this nation will collectively experience immense pain and hardship as one people. I genuinely believe the GOP are about to be eviscerated, as all the propaganda in the world won't suffice once we're deep into Italy's scenario and the bodies begin to mount and mount every day. Hundreds of Americans will be dying by this time next month, every day. Hundreds of families will be in pain from the loss of loved ones, every day. Hundreds will be losing their jobs, careers, businesses and life savings, every day. And all those apathetic non-voting Americans who never gave a shit about politics because they didn't think it impacted them will be given a painful lesson why it actually does, hundreds every day. Reporters who have lost family or those stressing every day about becoming infected will be the ones asking questions soon.

I try to wrap my head around what we're facing and I can't help but think the entire Trump clan is finished, but I can't even find joy in the thought because the cost will be so horrific. I've accepted I will likely lose at least one high at risk family member, and it's perfectly possible I might not even see my next birthday. And the fear I am having is the fear many Americans will be having all the way up until November. The questions on the ballot will be, "More of this nightmare" or "Democrat". I am trying to imagine an America that has endured several months of what Italy is now experiencing and I can't envision such a nation not utterly rebuking the GOP platform from top to bottom.

Trump could magically get his shit together and snap into drastic action tomorrow to greatly mitigate the impending Tsunami we're facing. But he won't, and we all know it. And so the America that gave us Donald John Trump will die, in some form or another, in the year of our Lord 2020.

Good riddance.

I really hope you're right about the GOP being destrroyed, Trump losing re-election, and the country shifting left. That leftward shift needs to happen if the US is going to survive. But it really upsets me that it takes the loss of their own lives and jobs for Americans to stop their bullshit and make something like this even be a possibility.

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Even though it was the weekend thus it may have contributed to the low testing, honestly, I was expecting Japan to be much worse since they're not testing as much. As you said, hospitals are not crowded. I'm honestly not sure wtf is going on here. Is it gonna get worse or will it just stay like this? A steady increase bit by bit.

Japan has been infected longer than Italy too as well, so I have no fucking clue how the hospitals are not even remotely in trouble yet. Its just weird. Abe says he is increasing testing, but I don't believe a fucking word he says. SOme company in Japan has started distributing the 15 min test to medical institutions, so hopefully we see a big uptick in testing.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think this eclipses 9/11. We're in uncharted territory if Trump continues floundering, as the potential loss of life is unprecedented. I earnestly believe these are the last days of the America we've known to date, and I am trying to find some consolation in what I believe (read: desperately hope) will be a lurch to the left after the dust settles. This virus is going to highlight every major problem Progressives have been trying to tackle for decades. It's going to primarily ravage the generations holding back this country, and Republicans in particular will be the least prepared and most shell shocked thanks to their constant consumption of lies.

This virus will mark the first time since the Great Depression, and the Civil War before it, that the actual citizens of this nation will collectively experience immense pain and hardship as one people. I genuinely believe the GOP are about to be eviscerated, as all the propaganda in the world won't suffice once we're deep into Italy's scenario and the bodies begin to mount and mount every day. Hundreds of Americans will be dying by this time next month, every day. Hundreds of families will be in pain from the loss of loved ones, every day. Hundreds will be losing their jobs, careers, businesses and life savings, every day. And all those apathetic non-voting Americans who never gave a shit about politics because they didn't think it impacted them will be given a painful lesson why it actually does, hundreds every day. Reporters who have lost family or those stressing every day about becoming infected will be the ones asking questions soon.

I try to wrap my head around what we're facing and I can't help but think the entire Trump clan is finished, but I can't even find joy in the thought because the cost will be so horrific. I've accepted I will likely lose at least one high at risk family member, and it's perfectly possible I might not even see my next birthday. And the fear I am having is the fear many Americans will be having all the way up until November. The questions on the ballot will be, "More of this nightmare" or "Democrat". I am trying to imagine an America that has endured several months of what Italy is now experiencing and I can't envision such a nation not utterly rebuking the GOP platform from top to bottom.

Trump could magically get his shit together and snap into drastic action tomorrow to greatly mitigate the impending Tsunami we're facing. But he won't, and we all know it. And so the America that gave us Donald John Trump will die, in some form or another, in the year of our Lord 2020.

Good riddance.
Jesus this sounds apocalyptic :'(

But im not sure the GOP will be gone they will just put the blame on forces beyond their control or find a scapegoat they might get hit but not be done for.

And thats unfortunate as this virus is a force beyond anyones control, only thing left for many is to is pray for God to have pity and show mercy

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
i work at my dads company its a small company(8 people) but we get alot of product in ups, trucking, overseas, bring couple packages next door which is a HUGE company. the other guy i work with in the warehouse went to get tested this morning and now has to self quarantine himself for 2 weeks, its now scarying me. i dont want my dad to shut the company down for a couple weeks, we still have ton of electronic product coming in, but this is getting out of hand. im stuck in the warehouse by myself now doing all of the shipping and invoicing monday thru friday. i barely have time to shop for myself and make sure i'm mentally OK. today was stressful doing it alone, especially ive only been there a year and this world is going fucking NUTS!

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Japan is a weird weird case. So we know shitbag Abe is under testing to keep numbers low for olympics, etc etc . Japan has a very old population and having everyone packed into Tokyo should spread this thing like wildfire. Japan was one of the first countries after outbreak to get infected and had that petri dish cruise ship disembark without proper quarantine or testing measures etc.

However, there is no reports off hospital overcrowding, hotspot areas etc. Ive read a few things to suggest reasons but none of them really add up. Of course the whole facemasks, disciplined population, social distancing etc, but in reality Tokyo has been going like normal. There's been no shutdown of restaurants or bars etc. They did shutdown the schools and sports events (well, playing to empty stadiums). Not much of Japanese companies are set up for people to work from home. trains are still crowded etc. There was also a suggestion that Japanese doctors are very good at treating pneumonia, which is the primary cause of death in the late stages for this, as they use some arthritis medicine or something late on and it cures it. However, they all don't really explain the lack of crowding at hospitals etc . Generally Japanese old people will go the doctor at the drop of the hat as it were.

All very strange.

As an Australian living in Japan, I think Japan has a few unique advantages over the west in dealing with a virus like this.

First is simple geography. It is an island country made up of multiple islands. You can't just drive there like you would in the EU. It also makes localized outbreaks easier to contain to a single island (like the ones seen in Hokkaido).

Second isn't unique to Japan, but to Asia in general in that they are very group oriented, anti-individualist. Whereas you have tourists in Spain still trying to holiday even now, the social shame from doing such a thing is far greater than it is in the west. You still have the occasional asshole that tries to spread it intentionally (like the guy in Nagoya), but this is more the exception to the rule.

Third is cultural. Japan is very hands-off in general. You don't really shake hands at business meetings, couples don't really openly display affection in public, etc.

Lastly, while I can't speak for the rest of the West, compared to Australia they are MUCH more hygienic. Whereas "washing one's hands" in Australia would constitute "quickly swiping your hands under running water" lol, Japanese people actually tend to use soap (again, not everyone, but much more so than in Australia). The vast majority of people wear masks when out and about, use alcohol spray when entering and leaving supermarkets etc.

They also closed down schools, etc. nationwide way earlier than the west (this is the third week since schools have been closed). Apparently they plan to open back up when the new term starts in April, so we'll see if there is an influx of new cases then.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Good riddance.

My fear is how long this will last and the fear of the virus appearing again. It's very possible as a generation we will carry trauma from this for the rest of our lives, always thinking about the next crisis that could bankrupt us. I don't know how most people are supposed to deal with longterm economic plans, retirement, etc. Everything is uncertain right now.

I don't even trust the current Democrat party to weather this storm well if they were in charge (obviously it would be better than the GOP). This country needs a serious re-examination of its cultural obsession with wealth and refusal to help others. We have to live as communities and neighbors, not as enemies.

Also better working class solidarity. The grocery stores, cooks, delivery people, etc. are keeping this country from imploding upon itself alongside the medical staff.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
so what are the chances states start closing borders? my dumbass brother decided to go to colorado with a friend out of no where last week as this was starting to ramp up. they drove there

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Japan has been infected longer than Italy too as well, so I have no fucking clue how the hospitals are not even remotely in trouble yet. Its just weird. Abe says he is increasing testing, but I don't believe a fucking word he says. SOme company in Japan has started distributing the 15 min test to medical institutions, so hopefully we see a big uptick in testing.
I believe testing in Japan is actually going down. Look at https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/newpage_00032.html - only 43 PCR tests on March 15/16, with 33 tests positive.

Also check this document: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/10900000/000606696.pdf

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
so what are the chances states start closing borders? my dumbass brother decided to go to colorado with a friend out of no where last week as this was starting to ramp up.

I doubt there will be a hard closure of borders between states in the US, but there is a good chance of soft closure through the means of cerfews, discouraging travel, shutting down public transportation, and the possibility of gasoline becoming hard to get with gas stations closing and/or having limited hours.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone put out an estimate on how long this quarantine will actually last? How long is everything going to be down for?

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
so what are the chances states start closing borders? my dumbass brother decided to go to colorado with a friend out of no where last week as this was starting to ramp up. they drove there
Soft closures are very likely. I imagine any one traveling for work, going home, visiting family will be allowed. The "I'm driving from KC to Denver so I can go skiing on spring break" probably won't be a thing much longer.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They say just try to live every day as usual, but you stop and look around and it's just not the same. Empty store shelves. Empty roads. Many out of work. Closed locations everywhere. Hopefully nothing like this ever happens again in any of our lifetimes. I'm ready for whatever comes next.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you in Northwestern Indiana? I work for a school corporation and I heard (unsubstantiated, but from top-level) that Indiana isn't testing because there are so few tests available. This Indy Star article alludes to it, but never outright says.

There's a case in South Bend and LaPorte, so it's moving its way westward. Though, like you said, they're being very particular about who gets tested.

Honestly, I expect more transmission from Chicago than South Bend in NWI, with so many of us commuting out there and being another suburb of the city in effect.

Yes, the epidemiology folks did sound strained on resources. And I don't blame the folks in there. This is on the Trump Administration and trickling down from there. It's just frustrating that you get told you have a morbid factor, that you can't ignore it...and yet there's nothing to even confirm so whatever next steps can be taken for both myself, those in my household, and people I've engaged with in the past couple of weeks so they can brace for the greater likelihood.

Not to mention it's not the best mental note to be left off with to the only way this will be cared for is if you're already on death's doorstep.

Luckily, it seems there's going to be a rollout of drive-thru testing later this week. It requires doctor approval and registration, so I'll have to look into how exactly that works if they aren't wanting us to be in the office as a suspected case. Positive, hey, at least I know now and get everyone on board with the issue. Negative, I can go into the doctor office and get checked normal for Flu or Pneumonia or whatever.

Last edited:

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020

Good riddance.
Very sobering commentary here. Thankfully it seems like Inslee and Cuomo, both of whom are governors at the epicenter of the outbreak, are pretty level headed and have been taking pretty drastic measures to slow the spread.

That said this whole thing is a catch-22. On one hand, if we don't take drastic measures now to slow the spread we risk letting the outbreak grow out of control, potentially killing thousands or even millions of Americans. The number of casualties could easily surpass that of WW2 (400k). 9/11 would pale in comparison.

On the other hand, the measures needed to ensure prevention of a worst case scenario could cause our economy to collapse entirely. If we only had to lockdown for a month or two I would say we could recover no problem, but how long can we realistically hold out in lockdown mode if returning to normal before we have a vaccine just leads to another outbreak? A vaccine is at least a year out, and anti-virals may not be effective enough to allow us to go back to normal.

We're in uncharted territory here. The fallout from the pandemic could extend far beyond the virus itself. Could this be the beginning of the end for capitalism? If so what will take it's place?

This pandemic gets more and more surreal by the day.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
My fear is how long this will last and the fear of the virus appearing again. It's very possible as a generation we will carry trauma from this for the rest of our lives, always thinking about the next crisis that could bankrupt us. I don't know how most people are supposed to deal with longterm economic plans, retirement, etc. Everything is uncertain right now.
Yeah, the impact on economy and society is the scariest part to me. There's no way countries will be able to bailout everything from airlines and airports to hotels and bars, restaurants, beverage makers, sports clubs, and everything related to that. Like, even media outlets and TV stations might struggle with the likely drop in advertising. I don't want to sound too panick-y but I really don't see how we can come back from a lockdown that lasts a few months. People around me are losing their jobs left and right already.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, getting this under control just got way harder.

Didn't we already sort of know this? Unless a lot of sociopaths are going outside with fever symptoms, most communal spread would presumably be coming from people who are asymptomatic. This is the entire reason social distancing is important. Most of the people spreading it obviously don't know they have it.

I'm really not sure how this changes any part of the outlook, other than confirming it's certainly less deadly overall than we estimate. (That doesn't make the predicted casualties an acceptable number, of course.)

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
So my big question, does flattening the curve work if people can get re-infected after already recovering from it? Do we know anything about whether that's true yet?
So my big question, does flattening the curve work if people can get re-infected after already recovering from it? Do we know anything about whether that's true yet?
We can just hope that reinfection is the exception. We are fucked otherwise.

Not because it wouldnt be possible. It'd be harder. And we are losing in "easy mode" already.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third is cultural. Japan is very hands-off in general. You don't really shake hands at business meetings, couples don't really openly display affection in public, etc.

Italian's, well you don't want to shake hands with them.

Of course i don't think their(our? i lived in Italy most of my life) woes depend only on this.

4111.jpeg

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Welp, getting this under control just got way harder.

What this really means, at least from what I can read, is that Italy's mortality rate is so high BECAUSE sooo many people aren't even being tested or know they have it. A lot of people with very mild to no symptoms wouldn't even presume they have it, or told they have just a cold. So maybe it's already spread MUCH further than we realize, and our mortality rates are just of people whom exhibit moderate-severe symptoms, and don't include a vast number of asymptomatic people.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
lol so Chile now has the highest proportion of infected people in relation to the overall population of the country in the Americas. And the amount of infected has sharply increased day by day. I can't imagine what the numbers are going to be in a couple of hours.

-Stranger-

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Cases are skyrocketing now in Australia.
Went from like 150 to now nearly 450 in a couple days.

I think the Government were to hesitant to act and it's now going to spread.
I'm glad i live in one of the smaller states/cities (we only have around 4-5 cases in my city)
Sydney and Melbourne seems to have significant community spread though.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Lastly, while I can't speak for the rest of the West, compared to Australia they are MUCH more hygienic. Whereas "washing one's hands" in Australia would constitute "quickly swiping your hands under running water" lol, Japanese people actually tend to use soap (again, not everyone, but much more so than in Australia). The vast majority of people wear masks when out and about, use alcohol spray when entering and leaving supermarkets etc.
I've worked at 4 different companies thus far and most Japanese don't use soap. It's usually the foreigners here that use the soap. Heck, there's no soap at the bathrooms in the train stations most of the time. 😂

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
As an Australian living in Japan, I think Japan has a few unique advantages over the west in dealing with a virus like this.

First is simple geography. It is an island country made up of multiple islands. You can't just drive there like you would in the EU. It also makes localized outbreaks easier to contain to a single island (like the ones seen in Hokkaido).

Second isn't unique to Japan, but to Asia in general in that they are very group oriented, anti-individualist. Whereas you have tourists in Spain still trying to holiday even now, the social shame from doing such a thing is far greater than it is in the west. You still have the occasional asshole that tries to spread it intentionally (like the guy in Nagoya), but this is more the exception to the rule.

They also closed down schools, etc. nationwide way earlier than the west (this is the third week since schools have been closed). Apparently they plan to open back up when the new term starts in April, so we'll see if there is an influx of new cases then.

Hope you're right or this is the reality. Because the alternative is that they're seriously under-reporting on purpose or out of negligence.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I've worked at 4 different companies thus far and most Japanese don't use soap. It's usually the foreigners here that use the soap. Heck, there's no soap at the bathrooms in the train stations most of the time. 😂

Yeah, was gonna say, a lot of the public toilets in stations have no paper or drying machines, so I see a lot of people just quickly wet their hands, as they dont want to have cold hands after washing them properly. And that's more probably just to appear hygenic to others, if they were on their own, I imagine they would just walk out without doing anything....

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
There has not been any reliable research regarding reinfections.

We'd need that. Factors etc. at the same time we do not have enough tests done either. We could have thousands of reinfections. Especially with mild symptoms.

I have been vaccinated against flu, yet got it twice this year. Im in doubt. Maybe it was corona. Or more likely a mutated strain of flu.

I was not tested as I was not in contact with people nor returned from a risk area (despite travelling a lot with public transport).

We have so many untested but infected people running around, and we know that. Just a small part of the infected is actually tested and confirmed positive.

The number for children is very low. Not because they dont get infected but because they dont get tested.

If you dont know who is positive, nor negative you dont know who was reinfected.
Yeah I don't know. We might not have the data yet to prove it one way or the other, but everything I've seen from virology experts is that it would be unlikely for people to not build an immunity after recovering from the virus.

Here are a couple of sources citing experts saying that in all likelihood we build an immunity to the disease.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that until we have data showing otherwise, there's no need to create a panic about people getting re-infected. And even if you get infected and recover, your behavior shouldn't change and you should still be taking preventative measures like washing your hands and social distancing.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Real question- have been staying at home away from people as much as possible but have felt pressure in my chest on and off for hours since last night (I'm in Virginia).

I have zero other symptoms but am unsure if I'm dealing with a panic attack (have been very stressed) or what. Afraid to go to the hospital due to the whole not leaving the house thing. Have failed to sleep it off but still might try that and go to the hospital or call my doctor in the morning.

Advice appreciated!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the impact on economy and society is the scariest part to me. There's no way countries will be able to bailout everything from airlines and airports to hotels and bars, restaurants, beverage makers, sports clubs, and everything related to that. Like, even media outlets and TV stations might struggle with the likely drop in advertising. I don't want to sound too panick-y but I really don't see how we can come back from a lockdown that lasts a few months. People around me are losing their jobs left and right already.

My assumption (Out of my ass) is that business would be allowed to reopen if the government couldn't bail out anymore and they had to choose between more deaths towards hopefully what is the tail-end of the pandemic or complete society collapse.

The former while being tragic, would be less deaths, and in war time rules, it's usually a numbers game.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Real question- have been staying at home away from people as much as possible but have felt pressure in my chest on and off for hours since last night (I'm in Virginia).

I have zero other symptoms but am unsure if I'm dealing with a panic attack (have been very stressed) or what. Afraid to go to the hospital due to the whole not leaving the house thing. Have failed to sleep it off but still might try that and go to the hospital or call my doctor in the morning.

Advice appreciated!

Sounds more like anxiety, which is obviously understandable in this situation we're all in. If you don't have a fever or cough, I'd just try to relax in whatever way you can and assume the best for now.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

Advice appreciated!

do you have a fever? coughs? have you been in contact with people?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds more like anxiety. If you don't have a fever or cough, I'd just try to relax in whatever way you can and assume the best for now.

Thank you. Have never felt this before and it's scary as shit, but I'm trying to not overreact. Checked earlier and no fever (98.1) and literally no other symptoms but at the same time, wtf. Trying to calm oneself when you're feeling like that given the current circumstances is very difficult.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017

actually school is closed for another 2 weeks at least my university (Keio). Orientation won't start til mid April